Cox Communications

Posted:

Service and billing fraud

4.4
The following complaint regards possible fraudulent billing, harassment and threats, and refusal to make repairs and maintenance.

We are aware that some problems may exist regarding the post hurricane damages, but as of this date, the problems and excuses are no longer valid.

THAT since October 2005 we have attempted to contact COX by email, telephone, and written correspondence to have to have Cable TV service restored back to normal. That on those occasions attempts were made by telephone wait time varied from 20 to over 50 minutes without speaking with a representative. A number of emails were sent to the New Orleans Customer Service office in most cases without response, or attempts to correct the problems. Letters written to the Corporate Headquarters and copied to the New Orleans office have been ignored, and not responded too.

THAT the one time connection was made to the New Orleans Customer Service office I was assured that the service would be reinstated back to normal within seven (7) days. And that a credit to my account would be issued for the on month's payment. Neither the repair, nor the credit was ever completed.

THAT in late December 2005 I was contacted finale by COX Customer Service by telephone and advised that a tech representative would be at my home with in a week. And that a credit to my account of one month would be made to my account, and pending additional credits for loss of service.

THAT in late December 2005 a field technician finale arrived and advise until such time that the outside service box could be replaced, repaired, and the wires replaced and repaired, there was nothing he could do to fix, or correct the loss of service. The outside box had to be fixed by another department technician. As of this date, there have been no repairs, restoration of service, and no credits to my account.

THAT COX continues to harass, threaten, and continues in its fraudulent billing practices.

RATIONAL for not contacting state agencies for Louisiana include in part: COX has direct connections with the Mayor of New Orleans Ray Nagin, who is the former CEO of COX. That COX is a heavy contributor to certain campaign funds, for state and local officials. That neither the New Orleans Service Commission, nor the State Government will take an action or protect the consumer with regard to certain entities that are favored.
Complaint comments Comments (38) Complaint country United States Complaint category Telecommunications

Comments

22nd of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
Last month, I changed my surname via court order, and I correspondingly changed my name with SSA, DMV, municipalities, etc. All of that proved to be a walk in the park compared to the bureaucratic runaround that Cox has put me through, without any result except my becoming infuriated and stamp-challenged.

Should I really, after having informed them of the change in a letter that included the number, place, and date of the court order, have to submit to them either a copy of the court order, $5.00, or ANOTHER installation fee? We all know that they store data in digital form.

Anyway, and I've told them that my SS# hasn't changed, my address hasn't changed, the bank on which my checks are drawn hasn't changed, my credit rating hasn't changed, my living circumstances haven't changed, my account is in good standing, and I don't rent any equipment from Cox... Who ARE these people, anyway, that they think that the consumer should pay the cost of their doing business several times over, which includes their selling our data to other entities?? Where are the FCC and the PUC in this picture? Y'know, the other people we pay to pick our pockets? Grrrrr.....
 14th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
I would like to talk about Cox communications. Just before Christmas of this passed year a neighbor of mine had her service up to a total package with coxes. Now after there techs or should I say the three stooges had played with wires; I noticed problems with my line. I had talked with my neighbor and she said that she called coxes and everything would be taken care of. After a couple days, I come home and I don't have a dial tone. So I call Cox and tell them the situation. The first phone conversation went well and they said that they will take care of the problem and that they were sorry. Well, nothing got done and I asked by calling again to come and fix the problem. I got the go around and I understand why. It's Christmas time and everybody is upping plans and Cox doesn't have time to fix problems that don't generate money. So after dealing with Cox I realize that I wouldn't have anything to do with them. I have cut off all services from them. I look forward to have Verizon for my phone and internet.
 5th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Sub: Shoddy service, incorrect billing

Cox Communications, San Diego
5159 Federal Blvd
San Diego, CA 92105
Cc: Patrick J. Esser
1400 Lake Hearn Dr., Atlanta, GA 30319
404-843-5000

I have been warned not to write letters when I am angry. I am ignoring that warning. I have several issues.

1. I just got off the phone with a gentleman in your sales department who I reached after the young woman who answered my first call transferred me to a department that was closed which resulted in a disconnection. This young man told me that I was not signed up for the stations I specifically asked for upon signing up for your services.
2. In his attempt to activate said stations/services he informed me he would not be able to do that until Friday because a service technician (the third one required, so far, to get my services working) would not be able to remove the filter causing this failure until then. The problem did not appear until yesterday; 3 weeks after the start of my account.
3. He wouldn't be able to do it anyway as I have an outstanding balance from services which started on the 16th of February. I DID NOT MOVE HERE UNTIL THE 3RD OF MARCH AND THE SERVICE REQUEST DID NOT HAPPEN UNTIL THE 6TH OF MARCH.
4. I had to take a half day off work and conspire with the technician to get the phone to work.
5. I waited from the 6th to the 21st for internet service (which I had to take another half-day off work to finally get) and was told I was being credited for the failure.
6. I have just reviewed my bill online and I am completely overwhelmed.
Total Cable Services 42.70 (I was told this was about $26)
Total Internet Services 53.60 (I was told this was about $36)
Total Telephone 34.65 (I was told this was $13)
Total Fees, Surcharges & Taxes 7.31
Total Current Charges $138.26
7. And there seems to be an outstanding balance of $40+ that I have never been sent a bill for nor has it been sent to my email address as I requested

You couldn't get the phone to work, you couldn't get the internet to work and now you can't seem to get your own accounting to work.

I have made numerous phone calls about failures of your company. Each time I get a little more convinced that your much lauded commitment to customer service is complete fiction. I feel trapped into using your very poor services as you are the only provider in this area. I am extremely dissatisfied. I want someone to take some initiative and fix this. I want to hear from someone about this. All I wanted was the History channel and Discovery. That is what I asked for in the beginning and that is what I was told I was buying. Please review my account. Please read any notes attached thereto. Please listen to my frustration. I am copying this whole tirade into a real, paper letter and sending it to as many people as I can. You have had a service failure.
 9th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
Cox is in the process of 'researching' info regarding the validity of Taxes.

FUSF is supposed to be strictly a tax on the 'actual billed interstate / international total charges' but Cox uses 'creative solutions' applying the Quarterly set FCC tax rate to their Monthly Service Plan Rate & also the FCC Fed Access Charge - but ONLY if you have a Bundled Plan showing no charges for your long distance. I am waiting for verification by Cox as to where in the numerous rules explanations by FCC they state 'bundled plan customers charge extra tax that Cox may simply invent'!

As for another comment 'where is FCC & other agencies supposed to look out for the consumer?' Not on our side - they simply disregarded my bills showing overcharges, illegal charges & discrepancies - in favor of Cox Response: Cox is adhering to policy! Not even a single sentence in response to 1 of the charges notes.

I have written to the Financial Operations office of the Mgr Director of FCC asking for clarification of this tax & application - if I get an answer, it will be posted.

DOUBLE TAXATION! Cox was applying Double Taxation for years (stopped it in April 2007) with FET 3% x the FUSF Calculated Tax Total. According to Cox: Yup, Double taxing is illegal - but it is done all the time.

People, look at your bills for long distance, FET & fluctuating taxes for State, City, County (changes depending on what the boys in the back room decide to charge that month!)

Customer Service? Not in the vocabulary at this place - on hold times cited by others here correct. up to 1 Hr - unless you go to the New Service Line - then it is about a minute!

Right now they are the only game in town in Phoenix - maybe if enough of us get together we can get the complaints heard & correct something.
 2nd of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I'm not here to complain but to praise. I can't find an area for that. On 1dec 07 a technician came to my home in our worst storm this year because my reception was poor. His humor and attitude was pleasant even though he eventually had to climb on my roof. He put up with my silly questions and continued to work as he answered them. These people are the face you show the public. When we see them we are seeing you. This man was exactly what you want the public to see. He was professional, pleasant, and very curtious[no I'm not a relative]. I wish I had paid more attention when he shook my hand and told me his name so I could pass it on to you.There is a tag number on my receipt that may or may not be his. The number is R040899. This man made an inside and outside repair of my services a pleasant experience. I don't often trouble myself to make a comment on the service provided by a technician[especially as I had to search to find someplace where I could put a positive comment]. Since I have made an effort to communicate this situation with you please take the time to convince me that someone is actually reading these comments.
Impressed by your service, jim
 31st of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have complained about the poor service while being away from home for several years now. I am obviously a patient man. I am not allowed to use my email client to send emails but required to use their poorly designed webmail interface. My complaints only fall on deaf ears.

For the past week now I have not been able to send or reply to an email.

this has lost me a great deal of money in the interum. When I attempt to rectify the problem I either get hung up on or get told "well sir, you must be spamming or sending inappropriate emails." My emails are in response to work or replies to family or friends.

Shame on you Cox. As much as I hate it I think I will swithch to AT&T for all of my services and reduce my bill by $50USD a month and get the TWO! free cell phones as well...

Ciao
 24th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
My first experience was positive with Cox. I terminated service to go on deployment in the middle east. However, since I left Cox allowed some woman posing as my wife to open an account and then prevent me from getting service upon my return for almost two months. I had to jump through hoops to clear my name and then, I have to pay charges for new wiring, splitters, and any visit to my house. So, now i have wires sticking out the wall and have to figure out how they are to be connected. The service is connected, but the last tenants messed up the wiring and I got new wiring form AT&T. Another story that one! Both companies in my opinion or money hungry and care less about customer care. The customer care reps. are careless and do not care to ensure quality service. They put customers on eternal hold and I feel they intentionally do that to get rid of calls. If they know a department to be closed why transfer them if there is no answering machine. I really hate the fact that I am being forced to use this service. I wish Time Warner, Comcast or someone else operated in my area. I thought the government disbanded monopolies such as this or shall I say deregulated sharks such as cox.
 4th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am very unhappy with your service. We've had it for 4 months and had more headaches then fun. Get your sh-t together. You are not the only service that is available.
 4th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
What the heck, I just made my comment. You people need to get your act together! I have had more headaches then fun. You are not the only service that is available! Irene
 4th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
VERIZON IS SOUNDING BETTER AND BETTER!
 31st of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Does anyone have an e-mail address for someone at Cox? I have been trying to send an e-mail regarding my billing problems and service that was supposed to be transferred 2 weeks ago which has not been transferred, but which I am still being billed for.

If anyone has an e-mail address for ANYONE who works at Cox Cable or even a phone number other than the standard customer service number, please pass it along to me. I am desperate to get my phone and cable TV transferred to my new house.

Thanks.
 19th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
rebate offers/customer online service...
 15th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes

Cox Communications - Joke service
Cox Communications

I would just like to say that I am an easy going guy. I try to give everything and everyone the benefit of the doubt. However, I have to warn people of the horrible customer service, and lack of technical knowledge of Cox Employees. It was not just in the Internet Support Group or the Cable TV. It was also when I tried to inquire about Cox's new cell service offerings. The guy was so incompetent that I wanted to cancel all my Cox services. However, it was not just him. I have made several calls to Cox, and it seems that 1 out of 8 even sound slightly educated. I am talking grade school level here. Horrible Customer Service, Horrible Products, and Horrible price for the value. No wonder Verizon FIOS is taking over. I called Verizon and renewed my current cell plan with a better price and the guy was educated. I double checked availability on Verizon Internet, but it isn't in my area yet. Trust me, when another broadband carrier comes into my area...I am gone. See yeah ...Cox...!!!
 16th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
Verizon did stop their build out with no plans to continue in the near future.

Cox Internet was rated raster according to PC Magazine and Netflix in recent polls

Verizon ranked dead last in the JD Powers phone poll...Cox was #1 in the East and West...

According to the Better Business Bureau reports, Verizon has "F" rating everywhere I check their services...Cox either has C, B or A+ ratings... I fail to see where Verizon is better than Cox...everything else points to otherwise...
 2nd of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hello,

Well, needless to say those complaints sound right on the button. I have had Cox here in San Diego for over 10 years, and in more than one ocassion have I had to contact them about my service. I am now convinced that Cox is run by truly incompetent people. I had my phone service cut off last Thursday March 31st. At first I thought it was because I mistook the due date to be the 31st when in fact it was the 30th, but upon contacting the "technicians" (and I use that term in the most extremely liberal sense), they told me that was the reason. I had not paid my bill on time therefore my phone line was cut off, but my cable and internet access were inunpided. Upon further contact and a large increase in anger, I finally find out that it was one of their so called "technicians" who most likely cut off my line while servicing soomeone else's line around the neighborhood. Brilliant, just f..ing brilliant. I spent a good deal of my life in the United States Marine Corps, there we have teenagers that can handle multi-million dollar computerized high-tech weapon systems and fix them when they break down, and these "educated" civilian "technicians" can't figure out which wires not to cut. If there is a more blatant example of wasted money and INCOMPETENCE, please someone send it to me. Now it has been 2 days without phone service and I have to wait for a "technician" to come figure out were the other IDIOT (if it wasn't him or her in the first place) cut the line in the neighborhood. It's time for some other company to step in and take these customers which obviously Cox does not care that much about. Do you hear me AT&T?
 2nd of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
I meant to say "unimpeded" instead of "inunpided"...apologies.
 19th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
Cox has cut my TV cable service twice erroneously. Now I was billed more than quoted on the phone. After five months of arguing with Cox, I was given a notice to disconnect. I finally got ahold of a young lady who explained I was billed on future expectations! What? I thought Futures Speculators were on Wall Street. I have, since, paid the correct amount and will be paying the "future" charges when that happens.

I just got an apology e-mail from Cox that my case is "not typical". HA! Try "RIPOFF.com". 115 complaints there.

San Diego area.
 3rd of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
The new scheme from Cox Communication. to rip off customers:
This is how it works, as the customer attempt to pays for his service fee the system saves the information for the payment and fails to provide any feedback if the information for payment is correct. Then when the system attempts to collect the fee the banks fails to release the fund that were supposed to be collected . Cox then bills an extra $50.00 to your account because the bank refuse the collection. It is a great scheme as most of the customers can accept they made a mistake, This is one of the best one out there why bill you for services render only, when we (Cox) can add an extra $50.00. In addition there is another even better as if you notice this issue and complaint they will take the fee off once in a life time, but if you attempt the easy pay service Cox will find a way to hit you with the fee again. You might ask how do I figure this out, well I took the time to purchase a product on line with the same information and saver the typed information into a form then copy paste the information from the form to the Cox easy pay system, The purchase from the online vendor did not have a problem, but Cox Communication on the other hand found a way to have a problem and bill me an extra $50.00 for problems with the transaction. So be aware.
 7th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
 7th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
For the second time now...Okay... So how would you feel if someone owed you money??????????????? That's what I thought. Get over it. Pay it.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree