Citibank Credit Card Philippines

Posted:

4.8
I have a complaint with Citibank Philippines Credit Card Company...
First, Girl A has been a cardholder of Citibank for more than 8 years now and due to unexpected circumstances, she flew to London because of job offer. She then asked us to pay her monthly obligations with Citibank which apparently after a year, we failed to do so until it accummulated interest and charges later on. After about 2 years of non-payment, the balance becomes higher and higher without the knowledge of Girl A... We received demand letters here and there until I finally decided to pay since the law office offered a huge discount... From PHP57,000 to 16,644.25... I called up the law office and confirmed the offer and asked them to fax me an agreement letter stating that after payment of PHP16,644.25 on agreed date, Girl A's account will be cleared and closed and they will issue a certificate. They did fax to me the written agreement. After paying, to our dismay, they called me again and told me the amount I paid was not enough. It should have been more, according to them. But I refused to pay more already since what I followed was our oral and written agreement. After paying last July 2007, until October 2007, they NEVER issued us a certificate. I directly called up Citibank Office and told them our complaint but they gave us broken promises. They said Law Office or Collecting Agencies are greedy and want to ask for more, it is however their strategy to collect more, and they said they will issue us a certificate closing the said account. It is already January 2008 but no certificate was issued. I tried to make follow up with Citibank but now, they wanted to talk to the card holder already when before they never asked about it and that since we are not the card holder, we took the responsibility to pay & they never demanded us "the card holder should PAY"... the bottom line here is that, we PAID, we have EVIDENCES, we have an Agreement letter about discount/amnesty, why are they holding and pending Girl A's certificate?

This doesnt happen to me only, this is happening to some of the peers I know also, to my boss, to my officemate and some friends. When you pay, they will NOT issue a certificate regardless of the agreement letter they gave you. The harrassment won't stop.

Citibank must do something about this because as what i know, they are now losing clients and transferring to other much better credit card services..

Complaint comments Comments (72) Complaint country Philippines Complaint category Banks

Comments

24th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

Citibank - Forcing to take the medical insurance
India

I received a call from 91-44-43960700 and he was saying about the CITIBANK medical insurance facility and was forcing me to pay the premium. Since I told that I do not need any medical insurance after a very long compulsion he scolded me and disconnected the call abruptly. I have tried calling the no. many a times but did not get connected. The above no. belongs to Airtel Landline and I have confirmed the same through the customer care. When I try asking their address to the Customer care, they say it is secured and we will not leak it at any time. I don't understand what is the need of giving secure to such no's, to promote their third grade speech.
 20th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
Yes. I've got the same problem. Somebody from 044 43960700 called me and told about the medical insurance scheme which is free of cost cum add on services to the existing visa credit card customers. He said its free, but he asked me to pay 1900+ to get it. What is the meaning of free? I don't know, how poor they are in the knowledge. They don't have common sense. Then he asked me my Date of birth, card number, and expiry date. But before telling the card information I just realized myself and asked him give his details. Suddenly he got anger and gave the phone to his manager. The manager (other person) he is also a rude guy, told the very same thing. Finally I told that i am not interested and i wont get it. Then he forced me to get the card. Then i told that if you do like this i will cancel the credit card and its account. Then he disconnected the call and vanished. Then the next day I tried to the same phone number 044 43960700, but only one ring is going and disconnecting. They manually blocked the incoming calls. So, please if anyone gets call from this, first get the details of whom you are speaking and get his mobile number, and ask them to call from his mobile, or you call to his mobile. We should stop this bad guys / company. Please Do not give any of your private data to any one thru phone like credit card number, etc...
 13th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Citibank - Fraud and cheating!
India

Somebody has called me today from Citibank asking money for no-dues certificate for a card that my father was using 10 years back. After paying all the dues we closed the card, but bank kept on sending the statements of dues which we have told customer care about and they specifically said that this card has been closed and you don't have to pay. these statements are system generated.

Now today, somebody named " PREETI " claiming to be manager of no dues department in citibank asked me that you have to pay Rs. 2000 for a no dues certificate. She has told me that if i don't pay that legal notices will be sent to my house. Her number i am mentioning here so that in case some Citibank Official reds it he should have the full information. Her number is "011-41410061".

Beware!
 4th of Jan, 2008 by    +1 Votes
as long as you have the agreement letter,that's OK
 18th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
You have already done your part. These collection agencies are really sneaky when it comes to collection. But since you agreed to pay, they actually killed their own case, because you can readily claim that you paid on the basis that the amount paid, which they accepted, was the full amount that they demanded in exchange of waiving the rest. The collection agency already obtained a discount from the principal amount when they bought the receivables from the card company (I estimate their discount at 75-85% off principal), everything they get above it is profit for them. Further, as many Philippine lawyers have told their clients, "WALANG NAKUKULONG DAHIL SA UTANG" (no one gets jailed for having a debt). While not exactly true, a 5-digit amount is usually not aggressively sought after, because of the costs of litigation.

Finally, Citibank is not alone in selling their receivables. Card companies that are not insuring their receivables are doing it, so moving to another card company will not solve your problem. The best way to use a credit card is to pay off the entire balance each month.
__________
This post was made while searching for "citibank philippines card services".
 13th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Citi Bank - Credit Card - #1 complaint
Citi Bank
Los Angeles
California
www.citibank.com

For 26 years a citi bank card holder, and somehow I was late last month on my payment for the very first time. My interest rate went from 9.9% to 29.9% just like that! That is loan sharking Robbery Called customer service (Out source to India) and was told "yeah you got Jacked" it's in your agreement to do this...You now have to pay 6 months of 29.9% Then we will review your account, after being on hold for 14 minutes

No help at all! Where is the justice. I am not done with them, the Business section of the LA times is very interested in the story as a feature with thousands of other citi complaints... I guess I am not alone... California Consumer Affairs recently told me that banking issues are now #1 complaint.
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
This also happened to me but with a different company, which is Standard Chartered. They offered a "discount program" for 40% off the outstanding amount payable in a 6-month period. While we did ask for some documentation on this arrangement, we were given none (not even by email). Nonetheless we pursued the arrangement diligently.

When it came time to make the final amortization, the company called and said the approved discount was only for 30% and that we need to adjust our final payment to almost double the original amount. Of course that threw a monkey wrench on everything especially since we're budgeting our hard earned money for the upcoming school enrollment of our child. I said that since we were talking about adjustments I demanded for additional time to comply but they refused stating that the amount is expected on the next scheduled cycle of payment.

I have never felt so used and abused in my entire life. Not only was I not provided with proper written documents on the arrangement, Standard Chartered now has the temerity to change the rules to their favor at the last minute, and while they can offer up explanations for the changes, the consumer now seems to have no right whatsoever to request to seek any justifiable extension or consensus regarding the matter.
 19th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Citibank - They hate their customers
www.citi.com

I closed my credit card just a few HOURS of the closing date of my next statement. I would have earned over $200 cash in rewards. I asked to recoup my rewards or at least re-open my card to get them back and was told I could not do that!

I tried to e-mail a complaint online, but their online system would not let me, saying that I was no longer a customer. It wouldn't even give me an e-mail address! So I wrote a complaint letter voicing my disagreement and the letter I got back was only 2 sentences long, saying that it's too bad and my rewards are forfeited. I understand the rules, but to come within a few hours of my statement deadline (I was leaving for vacation that week), I was very upset.

I will NEVER do business again with Citibank. I didn't even get the courtesy of a response, outside of a 2-sentence form letter!
 10th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
For three months in a row, I have paid more than my bill. I was real close to the limit, so CitiBank stuck some extra charges on to make me over the limit. They charged $5.99 for credit information. Then, since that made the account over limit, they charged a $39.00 over the limit fee. By the time we found out, it was the next month, so we just paid enough to get down under the overlimit. Then they charged more imaginary charges that month when we paid more than was due. So I sent a hundred dollars to get it under the limit, and they charged another $5.99, $39.00 late fee, and an $8.00 finance charge.

If I paid this card off right now, about half of it would be actual purchases. The rest is creative bookeeping.
 6th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Citibank - Raised rates
CitiBank
Phone: 413-586-1089
www.citibank.com

Citibank raised my rate fro 8.2% to 13.99 on my AT&T Universal card. After 3 days of phone calls A supervisor said that they were randomly selecting people to raise the rates because of their losses in the sub-prime mortgage collapse and because of the poor economy. I have had this card for 18 years.

Needless to say I froze the card at the low rate until it is paid off and the card is canceled as of the expiration date on the card.
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
In Oct 2008, a courier went to our office looking for me and delivering a Unionbank credit card that I DID NOT applied for. I refused to accept the card. Then after a week or so I received a billing statement from Unionbank credit cards charging me Php1, 500 service charge for the credit card that I did not get to hold and have the courier return the card to the credit card company. I called the customer service in the name of "Janet" and I told her my concern. She told me that I am not obliged to pay and that I can cancel the card to totally deactivate it but she cannot serve my card cancellation at that time because the system needs to be re-started so she asked me to call again. I cannot contact the service hotline today, Fri oct 24, it says the line is busy.

I already sent CANCELLATION requests to the customer service and they even requested for personal information to process the request. They told me that it will be automatically cancelled if they did not call within 3 days so I assumed the account was already cancelled since they did not call, but to my dismay just this day I received a billing statement for November 2008.
 5th of Feb, 2009 by    +1 Votes
The same thing happened to me. I made an arrangement with the collection agency. Half-way through I noticed that my bill still has the original amount so I called the agency and told them that I want a certificate stating I paid X amount and that I owe them only X amount. I wanted to make sure that they give me something in writing. When they didn't send me any certificate I called them again and threatened to stop payment unless I get a certificate. That was 2007. It's now 2009 and I still dont have a certificate. And as far as I know, they still send me bills with the original amount plus tons of charges to my parents place.

I'm migrating to the US for good. Anybody knows if this will affect my credit rating there?

Help!
 18th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes

Citibank Clear Visa - Fees
Victoria
Australia

Citibank did not stop transactions from my Credit Card over Christmas Last Year. Unaware that I was over my limit I continued to use my card. I then found out I was $700 over the limit. As I was unable to pay this amount off over a year, I received bank fees in that 1 year period totally $960.

I have written several letters to them but they refuse to refund the fees.
 18th of Feb, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Honestly, shouldn't you know your limit and how close to it you are? Doesn't that at least in some way fall on your shoulders a bit? What if it were your debit card, would you have chosen not to pay attention and let your checking account go into the red? Personal responsibility for your own actions; Citibank didn't force you to use your credit card, did they?
 28th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

C - O Citibank - Scam
C-O Citibank

Why are you help financing the hostile takeover of Arcelor steel by Mittal? Mittal lays off American workers and Weirton Steel is one of those plants. I work for Weirton Steel that employs about 1000 people. we used to employ more than 13000. mittal lays off people so that he can shut plants down to control pricing. don't you see what OPEC does to the price of gas? Don't use our American money to put Americans out of a job. If you do help fund Mittal Steel for this takeover I will cancel all my dealings with your business and wish that all Americans follow suit.
 29th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
I am complaining about my citi-shell gas card. I opened this account in September 2007 and was informed that it would be reported to all 3 credit reporting agencies.

Seven months after this, it still was not being reported as they had promised. So far, I have contacted customer service about 350 times via the telephone, 3 times via fax, plus five letters in writing sent to their correspondence address, all to no avail!!!

They still refuse to comply with my simple request- report the account to all 3 credit bureaus. I have also had to file a complaint with the BBB and 4 other consumer protection agencies, also all to no avail!! There has still been no resolution.

Their customer service agents are downright rude and snotty and I will never do any type of business with them again! They lie and give me the runaround. On my last credit card statement, I noticed an interest rate of 53%. That should be illegal! These people are crooks and they should be renamed "shit-i-bank"!

Please avoid citibank and their affiliates; it is certainly not worth the cost and hassle.
 6th of Jun, 2009 by    +1 Votes
DON'T GET CREDITCARDS OR LOANS FROM CITIBANK PHILIPPINES. Citibank Philippines is a 'b.s.' company. They allow 'agents' to convince you to get loans, cash advance, etc with very tempting terms. When it's time for you to terminate your loan(lump sum payment), they will give you a different computation that will increased the amount of the lump sum payment. If you complain they will point you to different Citibank departments and ask to wait for days. Since it's been years ago, no more recordings(of conversation with agent) and then the agent's company will tell you that the agent is no longer working for them. So, you'll end up paying more because the interest keeps adding up while your waiting for the case to get resolved. DON'T GET CREDITCARDS OR LOANS FROM CITIBANK PHILIPPINES! I WISH THEY GET BANKRUPT!
 4th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes

Citibank - Awful bank
CitiBank
citibank.com

It was nice to find out (by chance) that Citi cards had raised my APR on all 3 of my accounts without notification!!! I've never been late or not payed at least the minimum each month. 3 months had passed since they raised my rates! I verified with Citi and they confirmed that they had my correct address. Funny how they can get my bills to me!!! Oh and another convenient tactic for them, they have no way of refunding of the diff. sorry. Nice how we (as americans) can bailout (not by choice) the credit companies only for them to turn around and raise our rates without reason, just cause, or NOTICE!!
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes

Citi Bank Card - raised my monthly payment 3x higher
sears
Ohio
pfamulatte@yahoo.com

Due to ONE missed payment while I was traveling my catch up payment is 110.00, didn't have it so i sent in what I could and now have a outstanding payment of 80.00 due August 1st. which is fair, however my monthly payments after this will be 80.00 where before this unfortunate missed payment was 15.00 min payment. I have never missed a payment before and I just cannot work 80.00 into my budget. Where can i go for help on this matter.?

Regards, Pat Famulatte
 27th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes

Banking - OVERDRAFT FEES
BANK OF AMERICA
Texas

In 2007 I paid more than $600.00 in unfair overdraft fees. I just find out that I should have filed a lawsuit about it. However, my health at that time was fragile; I was just trying to get myself well, so I just paid the fees and didn’t fight. but I still have the records of it.

This was a BOA – online bank alert received - You will be assessed a $35.00 Extended Overdrawn Charge on 07/16/2009. Make a deposit of available funds prior to the cut off time posted at the ATM or Banking Center on 07/16/2009 to bring your account balance positive and prevent this fee. – MY DEPOSIT WAS MADE - 07/14/09 in the Amount of $150.00. However, several charges of $35.00 have been assessed against my account sending it into an overdrawn balance. This is very unfair and I am not going to allow myself to be victimized any further. If need be I will go to my bank branch and picket the bank. Many of my senior citizen friends and family who no longer bank with this bank, will be there in support, we are MAD AS HELL AND WILL NOT TAKE THIS ANY MORE.

P. S. I have also been advised to go to a PAY PHONE and call your 1-800 number. This is also being sent to 100 other people and they in turn will inform 100 people themselves. These unfair charges must STOP!!!

Citibank Logo Citibank