logo

Ryland Homes
Poor service and product
4. (7 mins ago)
assurant special property insurance
no service only lip service
5. (8 mins ago)

Posted:    Victoria

Harassment

Casey's General Store
caseys.com
After reading the report submitted by Robert B, I have decided to speak out about my horrible experience at Casey's General Store. I am a proud African American woman and will not let hateful people and businesses stand in my way of living my life. I also don't want businesses that encourage racism and discrimination to continue doing any kind of business at all.

About a few years ago, I was just leaving from my sister's house and heading back home from St. Louis. Along the way I stopped in Shelbyville and decided to stop there to get some food and a drink. The closet place I could find was Casey's and I feel so embarrassed to go in that place. I was the only customer that was in the store and I just walked in there to get a drink and got one of their sandwiches. By the way, their prices are too high compared to other stores nationwide.

When I went to the counter, the first thing the clerk said to me was, 'Hey, I don't want any trouble now.' The clerk was a white man. I told I just want to buy the drink and sandwich and that's all I wanted to do. The store manager, who was also white, was also watching us at the counter. After I gave him the money to pay for it, he gave me the money in the rudest manner and said, 'Here's your change. Now get out.' I was shocked that he said that to me and acted so rudely to me, especially in front of the manager.

But that's not the worst of it. After I exited the store, the store manager and clerk followed me out and they screamed and yelled out, 'This is a whites only business you n****r b***h. We hate your kind and we want your race to die. White Power, White Power.' They kept saying white power as I was running to get in my car. I was scared that they were gonna hurt me, or worse, beat me to death. When I got home, I called my mother and my sister and told them what had happened to me. They were relieved to hear that I made it home safe, but they were appalled and shocked to hear about the horrors I went through.

Casey's General Store is a racist business and I can't believe they're still in business. Robert B is right: They do promote discrimination and racial hatred. This is a business that needs to be stopped. I'm urging everyone of every race, color, ethnic group, and religion to boycott Casey's General Store. This is a business that is not going to change their ways and they will continue to promote hate no matter what. This is indeed a business that needs to shut down immediately. Even I recommend that everyone boycotts Casey's General Store permanently and hope that are out of business for good.
Comments United States Department Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Apr, 2009 by   Rebecca 0 Votes

23rd of Apr, 2009 by   Tony -1 Votes
Yeah, they are a racist business. If you ever go into one of those stores, you'll notice that no a single person of either other race, religion, or enthicity works there. Of all the stores I've been to, there have been only white people working at those places. When I was leaving a store in Ankeny, IA a couple of years ago, I noticed a couple of Klansmen were talking right next to the store. Sure enough, it wasn't a surprise to me. Casey's is just a front for the Ku Klux Klan. I would contact the NAACP about this immediately before we see anymore cross burnings now that Barack Obama is President. Hurry before it's too late. Boycott Casey's General Store for good.
 29th of Apr, 2009 by   Slim Berger +1 Votes
...I believe this was a terrible thing...but I don't think the company is at fault for employee disrespect to any person, race, or creed. I would complain to the company with the facts and I'm sure they would fire employees that operate their store in this way. This is a sad story to read...action by the company will surely be done if reported. Its a disgrace to all...and the equality our country was founded on.

GW
 4th of May, 2009 by   gayle -1 Votes
i went into Casey's in Geneva, Ne. one day to get some pizza, and the acting manager was throwing away slices that were edible, that upset me. so i had to go to pizza hut. that took more time of my lunch break
 23rd of May, 2009 by   cworker 0 Votes
I'm sorry to hear that you were subjected to that kind of behavior. I can tell you however that I work for Casey's in Orion, IL and we are definitely not like that. While we do operate in a predominately white community we do have customers of all races do business with our store and we appreciate and value them. Racist remarks would not be tolerated at all. I am shocked that this happened and hope that action was taken against that location by corporate. I assure that this is an isolated incident, and not all Casey's all like this.
 3rd of Jun, 2009 by   MexiLexi -1 Votes
I am hispanc and I work at Casey's you retard!
 23rd of Jun, 2009 by   Teresa Hollis 0 Votes
I purchased a large taco pizza with no tomatoes. I did call the facility and Bob apologized for the mishap. This was the worse pizza I have ever purchased at Casey's Pizza. The medium sausage didn't even taste like it was even totally cooked. Store # is 2501, I believe.
 12th of Jul, 2009 by   joyc 0 Votes
Yeah... Shelbyville - 'nuff said! Casey's runs their business in the midwest in small towns... The small towns are generally heavily populated by white people - and thus it may seem that only white people work at these chains! That was a horrible experience, I'm sure - however, the company cannot be held responsible for the employee's remarks! That sounds very serious, I really hope that you took some type of action because if you didn't, then that was a stupid decision! Essentially, I hate people who complain and aren't willing to do anything about it! I don't care if you're black, white, red, or blue... If you complain about something, you'd better be willing to do something about it. And since you said this was a few years back I'm assuming you didn't... Shame on you!
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   who cares11 0 Votes
i to work at a caseys and yes after one hour we throw the pizza away so people dont complain they got dried out pizza, but i guess it doesnt matter because either way people complain, also yes we have mostly white consumers but do have black and hispanic too, they are all treated with the same respect we would all want no matter where we shop, I really don't believe this happened to her I believe people like t stir up trouble and since barack in pres. they like to stir it up even more get over youreself go back and have the station pull up the video survelanice and then we might belive it because believe me caseys is fully taped every where
 30th of Sep, 2009 by   Anonymous201 +2 Votes
Okay, i work for a Casey's as well, and yes, I'm white and so are the other employees there. However, we are most certainly NOT racist at our store or to our customers whatsoever. I am so sorry that you had this experience, and I hope that you contacted the corporate office about it, but like others here have said, this is just one isolated incident and it's not like we at Casey's are trained to be racist or anything like that. Sorry to disagree, but at least the Casey's I work for and the ones in the surrounding area aren't racist.
 28th of Oct, 2010 by   bobby 0 Votes
I went to caseys in Alexandria IN. a couple days ago and 2nd asst. called me a dick for no reason. I told store manager- MARTINA FIELDS what she said to me and she told me to JUST BEAT IT!! NOTHING was done about it. The employees are all very very rude to customers. They do not even know me to call me a DICK, I just went in there to buy a pack of smokes.
 28th of Oct, 2010 by   bobby 0 Votes
Yeah I strongly agree with Chris. The employees at the Alexandrie store mainly the management treat customers like crap. One of the managers there told people that my family was living out of my car. Whos bussiness is it if my family is living out of my car, Not all of us are special enough to work at caseys. times are hard and my misfortune should not be there entertainment.
 2nd of Nov, 2011 by   disgruntcaseysemployee 0 Votes
I am an assistant manager of a Casey's in Mo.Our whole staff is white, and some people have been there as long as 25 years. One woman I work with has been there 7 years and has the WORST customer service skills I have ever seen. She is rude to customers, she is racist, we don't have many people of other races come in because it is a very small town with the majority of the town being white but that is NO EXCUSE. I recently moved here from a big city, I have been in a relationship for 8 years with a black man and the minute my co workers found out they have been treating me differently.
Multiple customers have complained about this woman to my manager, and nothing is done so I tell them to contact corporate and even give them the number. They call and complain and nothing is ever done.
Plus Casey's is pretty horrible to their employees, you have to beg for your vacation time, and most of the time you lose half of it because the manager will make excuses as to why they can not give you the time off requested.
Also the DO NOT GIVE BREAKS... I work 9 hour days 6 days a week and on the 7th day I am blessed with only a 7 hour day. And I never get to take a break.
Also night time employees get the shaft, we not only have to wait on customers we are also responsible for ALL THE CLEANING bathrooms parking lot washer buckets garbage sweep mop buff floors, stock cooler bag ice make sandwiches for next day make dough the list goes on and on and we have to keep store operations going at the same time with only 2 thats right TWO employees on the shift, while days does NOTHING...
If I didn't need a job I would quit, my father is very ill and basically on his death bed and do you believe we had a girl do a no call no show so she could get some d*ck from her recently paroled boyfriend, and the next day she came to work like nothing had even happened and SHE STILL HAD A JOB??????
But I can not get anyone to fill in for me so I can go see my father who is dying??
Casey's is bullsh*t.
 7th of Feb, 2012 by   marty lewis 0 Votes
i live in a small town in Indiana my wife works at Casey's she likes her job been there 3 years but her boss is so mean if she has something to say it does not matter how many people are in the store she yells at the top of her lungs at them and you can go any where in this small town and they one say that she should not do that i am going to have my wife quit Casey's because she comes home all upset if the boss is having a bad day every one in the store is i worked in management for 7 years and that behavior was not aloud she has went to the boss over and it was like talking to the wall i told my wife that this is harassment and jobs are hard to come by these days but what do you do my wife has been out sick maybe 4 or 5 times in the 3 years when they need her to work she does because we need the money i hope some one reads this and let me know what they think???
 15th of Apr, 2012 by   hopeing 0 Votes
Yet another classic case of a company that thinks along the lines of money. someone close to me works at a Casey's.There management there is horrible. cant seem to order enough from week to week or keep enough change handy and gets mad if called to tell that they need change. Manager outside takeing a break smokeing on cigerette while lot is filthy and her employess are lucky if they even get a break. manager also talks bad of employes to the other employes.this is a store in iowa . wonder if all the other ones are like this one ????
 25th of Apr, 2012 by   BoycottingCaseys 0 Votes
I had worked for Caseys for several years, and was recently fired for "not doing my job" although I know the work was done when I left that night. In all the years I worked there I only had one yearly evaluation and was told I could not have another one because our profit was down to far. One day out of the blue they called me into the office and told me they were transferring me to a store miles from where I lived and currently worked, I explained to them I did not have a car to get to there and could not transfer, and would understand if they had to let me go. They told me that if I did not take the transfer that I would a voluntary quit, and that I would not be eligible for rehire or unemployment benifits. So I took what little money I had saved and purchased a car. The crap that the company puts their employees through is ridiculous two people to work the whole store and a list ten miles long of things to do and no possible way to get them all done in a 10 hour shift and still be able to help the customers, and not to mention all the expired food products that manager at several stores tell their employees to sell so they don't lose profit. I have boycott casey's and so has everyone I know!
 25th of Apr, 2012 by   hmph 0 Votes
I have worked for the company for several years now, and just recently when the store was redistricted, was when things got bad. Some may blame it on the economy but I believe that it stems from lack of training, education, and direction. A companies strength and growth relies on the staff. If the staff is not happy then the customers see and feel that when they walk into a store. Which in turn, makes them view the store/company negatively. I have managed for over 10 years now (not just at Caseys) and even though as a manager you have stress, you try to not push that stress onto your co-workers. I am guilty of this at one point in time. But I also recognize the hard work and effort that employees put forth for the store, and acknowledge their efforts at maintaining the store. I have seen and heard how some employees are treated at other stores from managers exchanging stories, and it makes me thankful to know that I have great employees. Even though unrecognized by some higher-ups, you still have to remember that it's a corporation. They have guidelines and standards for a reason. My question is, why is it that some are held accountable for an action but in the same respect, another is not? In the years that Ive worked at Caseys, Ive seen 3 different area supervisors. Two were great! One not so much. You want professionalism and ethics in a store, then it starts with management. If a supervisor does not have either of these qualities, then unfortunately it's going to filter down. You develop lack of trust, professionalism, ethics and unprofessional conduct. You may have noticed that I havent disclosed the location of said store, it's because of the possibility of repocutions. I don't care for confrontation and try to keep it calm, but when push comes to shove, I will speak up. At my store, I was presented with a situation of having to possibly terminate an honest, hard working, respectable employee. They reached the end of there shift and wanted to eat something before they left. Mind you, it was the end of their shift and they were still clocked in. Policy states that while you are clocked in, you may recieve an employee discount on food and beverage. The employee took a bite of pizza set the piece of pizza down and handed the cashier money to pay for their slice of pizza. The unfortunate event occured when they were observed consuming the bite of pizza "before" purchasing it. All in a matter of seconds. She was approached by the person observing her and they requested to see her reciept. The reciept was not in her possesion at the time and was then accused of stealing said piece of pizza. But yet, in the same respect of possible theft, lets promote someone in another store, who was seen stealing gas from this same store. Or lets promote someone who sold $500 worth of gift cards to a customer and took a personal check as the payment, another no-no with caseys. (the check bounced by the way, and the employee knew the customer and knew it was a bad check) and when the employee found out they were going to have a corrective action, they walked out in the middle of their shift. Oh and lets not get on the subject of supervisors having family members whom are managers of a store they are in charge of. Another no-no per policy. The list can go on and on. I appreciate all of you that have taken the time to read my vent. But for every negative there is a positive. I've been able to provide for my daughter and myself while working for Caseys. I've purchased my first home by myself while working for Caseys. And Ive employed some hard working, fun, and cheerishable employees in the years that I've worked for Caseys. All in all I guess you could say it hasnt been to bad lol
 22nd of Aug, 2012 by   Darling me 0 Votes
I worked for Caseys for four years. I was an asst. manager for 1 yr. and then manager for the last 2 yrs. I got fired while on a FMLA. It has been over 8 months and I still have people coming to me and complaining how awful the store is since I left. I treated all employees, customers, and vendors with respect-apparently Caseys doesn't like that. They are constantly changing policy back and forth and keep the employees guessing on which way to do things. I was told that I treated my employees too good and had them spoiled by making sure all shifts were completely covered and tried to keep them on set schedules. According to this company managers can switch your hours and shift without even giving notice or consideration to the employees. If you enjoy gossip, backstabbing, lying, and treating others poorly, this is the place for you!
 14th of Mar, 2013 by   Boogiemanretailman 0 Votes
Casey's rules and policies change daily, when they train you they make up the rules as they gon along. No one knows the correct way of doing things, they all tell you something different. They advertised for managers of new stores with min 2 yrs supervising and knowledge of conv stores. But when interviewing, they say they've already hired from their current employees for management positions but if you are a fast learner then their migh be room for advancement. then the ad is back in paper next week saying hiring mgrs. They just want good mgrs working for $8 bucks and hour as employees. Te managers are bitches, then come into work lookinglike they just rolled out of bed, and they do very little and stay in their office most of their shift. All the endless work is done by employees. Wait on all the customers while trying to keep up with the endless meaningless rules while being fast, smiling and friendly. And if you make a mistake or have a drive off the you are shit to everyone. They want you to ok agas pump then take car/fag info and give a speech all while waiting on other customers. And you can't let the customers know that you are taking tag #'s cause you can get wrote up for it. You are threaten daily on being written up for stupid shit. If you aren 't doing something every second, you get yelled at or told what and how to do it. They have a list a mile long of stuff for you to complete on your shift, which you couldn't get done even if ya had no customers to wait on. Their food is advertised as home made...their bread, biscuits and donuts are from frozen dough. All their hamburgers, potatos and snacks are frozen and reheated. The only thing made fresh is the pizza dough and gravy which both are from a mix. False advertising!! Their candy bars are $1.39 each, the same ones you can buy at Dollar General for .75 and on sale some places 2/$1.00 Their own employees don't trust the kitchen to wash their reuseable drink cups. Their managers buy coffee for mgr meetings at starbucks, at and in their own stores! They don't even drink their own coffee! The pay of $8 an hour for all that work is slave labor. I could get an job just running a cash reg for $8 and very little else. They have an all white staff and all white managers at all their local stores and our city isn't that small. I love retail and am very disappointed in Casey's!!!
 10th of Jul, 2013 by   Cloi 0 Votes
As a former Store Manager at Casey's General Stores, I think you are absurd in your complaint. I have NEVER heard of such a thing. When I was the store manager, I employed people of many races so to make a blanket statement that all Casey's are racist is false and a horrible thing to say. I highly doubt that just because you walked into the store they thought your were going to make trouble. Come on, this happened in 2009, not 1950. Get real.

Stop Wasting Food Money