Best Buy - Return Policy

Posted:

BEWARE of Best Buy during the Christmas Holiday!

3.85
I purchased a Gateway Notebook for my husband on Dec 9, 2006 as a Christmas Gift. When I purchased it I asked the young man if I could return it.

He said, "yes". I asked if there was a restocking fee. He said, "only if the item had the seal broken." On Christmas day my husband graciously declined my gift, so we decided to return it.

On Dec 29th, I tried to return the notebook and was told it was over the 14 day return policy and I could get store credit. I paid by check and their company cashed my check. I wanted my money back. I was furious to say the least. I, also, called the Customer Service number and was told the same thing. I know they say they have it posted in their stores and it's on the receipt, BUT do you honestly think that at the Christmas holiday customers are reading YOUR store signs or looking at the small print on receipts. The standard customer thinks that you can return just about everything within a 7 day time frame, especially at Christmas time. I think their employees should inform customers of their policy at this particular time of year. Wouldn’t that be a novel thought??

Well I've learned my lesson. I will never make a major purchase at your store for the Christmas holiday again.

I will inform all I can to BEWARE of Best Buy during the Christmas Holiday.
Complaint comments Comments (257) Complaint country United States Complaint category Computers & Accessories

Comments

6th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
Yes, It happened with me, I bought a camera from Best buy. before buying i asked them what if the pictures doesnt come out good. The guy over there said that you can return it within 14 days. (half truth, he didnt mention about the restocking fee or something). I tired to take the picture out of it and that was the worst camera i have ever seen the night pictures were terrible.

When i went back to bestbuy to return it. They charged me $35 restocking fee on it. When i asked why didnt you say that at front when i was buying it. They said our policy is written on the board and behind the receipt. Now who reads all the boards and small letters in receipt before buying anything. I think the Best buys policy is to play with customers innocence.

From that day onwards I never bought anything from Bestbuy.
 14th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
Best Buy refused an exchange of a 360 x box game even with a receipt because of the return time policy... We ended up with 2 of the same game due to a gift... Never opened and only wanted to exchange it for another title of the same value or even more and we would pay the difference...

Never again will I purchase anything from Best Buy...

Terrible customer service and their return policies are borderline fraud if you ask me...
 28th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
I agree completely. I just purchased a Sony Vaio SZ430N/B laptop computer for $1899 and could not return it without being charged a 15% restocking fee. This was only two days after the purchased (I'm typing this at 1 week since the purchase). It turned out that the DVD player would randomly become disabled. However, at the store, they put the Top Gun movie DVD in and it played, therefore nullifying my argument. I explained that it happens randomly, just out of the blue, Windows would stop seeing it as if it didn't exist. No luck. The defect has to be proven to them on the spot. Guess the customer's no longer right.

I understand these policies meant to prevent abuse, but c'mon, this is two days after purchase! Expecting someone to pay a fine of almost $300 to resolve this is insane! I will do all that I can to ward as many people as I know away from Best Buy.
 2nd of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Oh yea, its the stores responsibility to read the return policy to the thousands of customer they service every week! Give me a break, read people. You can say your never gonna shop their again but where u gonna shop that lets u return electronics for cash after 14 days? Its your responsibility to read the return policy that is written on the back of every receipt at every store.
 9th of Apr, 2007 by    -1 Votes
Best Buy or should i say WORST BUY has been known for years to use deceptive and misleading practices when it comes to returns, exchanges, and purchases or their so-called ESP/PSP warranties or improper ways to manage rain checks.

My advices to all who read this is, DO NOT expend your hard-earned money at Best Buy, bestbuy.com Magnolia Hi-Fi or any other entity run by the same organization. Theses crooks need to finally learn how to thread their paying consumers.
 2nd of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes

Best Buy Cameras - Refused to issue a proper refund!
Best Buy Cameras

I bought a camera with accessories. They shipped a wrong tripod and charger. The "professional" parts turned out to be nameless and brandless boxes, making me wonder about quality. The 4-year warranty was with a fly-by-night company.

The camera I bought (a Sony, amazingly) took very poor motion pictures. I asked to have the wrong parts remedied, and spent many hours waiting on hold, being passed from person to person. Finally I demanded an RMA. After many more days and hours, I got the RMA. I returned everything.

The customer service department had assured me that I would only be charged a 10% restock fee on what I had ordered and what had been properly shipped. When the credit came through, they took $254 off of my $1836 purchase. They never even sent me any paperwork. When complained, they said that some fine print on their site qualifies them to take "an additional 6% for shipping" on returns. In fact, they had already charged me for shipping the original order. It is a line item on my invoice.

When I complained about this treatment, they put me back into the voicemail tree and wasted time until I finally gave up. I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau.

They still owe me $150.
 22nd of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

Best Buy - Worst service!
Woodland H
California

Best Buy should be embarrassed by its customer service and return policy. Recently my employees gave me a nice camcorder for the holidays. The packaging indicated clearly it came from Best Buy. I don’t need another camcorder so I tried to return it. NO RECEIPT, NO RETURN. PERIOD. I even appealed to corporate customer service who promised to email the store manager, plead for mercy and ask him to call me. He (Dave Pena of the Woodland Hill, California store), never called. After a few days I called customer service again. Again they sent an email to Dave. No reply. Today I called a third time and received a message back from customer service. Their advice? “Sell it on ebay.”

Think I’ll ever shop at Best Buy!
 31st of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
Sir,

I think you must understand that a reciept is everything to a company. Alot of people now are try to return things at stores they they didnt get the product from. So lets say you didnt get the camera from best buy. Now some people would try to return it in hopes of getting store credit for it. The camera did not come from there and they gave you free money. In reality its theft and punishible by law. That why they wont take it back you need to have the reciept. This scam is getting bigger and bigger each year. Companies are doing their best so they they are returning items they didnt sell and giving free store credit to people. This is a loss in pure profits for a company.
 6th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
Never again will Best Buy get my money!! I purchased a 42" Plasma Insignia TV labor day weekend and it was completely shot by Christmas!! Was told to bring the tv back in for repair, but after arrival (30 minutes in one line, told to go to geek squad, which was another 10 minutues) and was told they don't service that size and to go back home and they would send out a repairman. Couldn't get my money back, past the 60 day return policy, tried to get instore credit to upgrade was told couldn't do that either. Waited a week for repairman (very rude by the way) and was told he would have to order a part which would be another two weeks and and then up to another week to schedule another service call. Finally receive a call telling me go ahead and bring the tv back to the store, the tv cannot be fixed and they will give me a new one!! Great right, but wait!! So we load up the TV again, do the wait in line again, etc. and they take the tv and all my receipts and paper work and then proceed to tell me they are out of stock and it would be another week before they would be receiving any and I would have to come back again to pick it up!! I again tried to get a different model, brand, etc, and was told that is against company policy and I would have to just wait. So I sit here now without a TV and they have my money!!

I will do my absolute best to advise all consumers to avoid Best Buy and go to Circuit City!! One person can make a difference!!
 22nd of Jan, 2008 by    +2 Votes
I've done business with best buy for a number of years and have yet to have a problem with their return policies. The policies are very specific, and if you take a moment (that's all it takes) to read the policies you'll know exactly where you stand. I've returned many items for many different reasons and have yet to have a problem. Whenever I couldn't get the full purchase price, it was clearly a matter of me falling outside of their clear policy guidelines. Moral of the story? Never trust some "young man" working for near minimum wage for proper information. Read the policy like a responsible consumer.
 7th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
I bought a laptop at bestbuy. It broke and was under warranty, I was very pleased that they did keep there promise and fix it. However it turned out an employee stole my power cable, 150$ later I had one that got fried because it was wrong!
I stopped buying at bestbuy and bought from laptops for less and got it for 80$ with next day shipping. Its still working.
 14th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
My Wife bought me a Sharp Aquas 52 " LCD for Christmas. TV has an excellent picture but unfortunately the TV died on Jan 27 just before the Super B()wl. I called Best Buy support and asked if my TV was within the return window since I was told by the check-out person I had until Jan31, the support person disagreed. The support person stated it was Jan 15 (30 days from purchase). OK, fine I said. When can I get it fixed? Well, it is still not fixed but that is another complaint.

My wife and I called the store manager and the supervisor hoping to get a replacement before the big game but we were told the same story- "You are outside the return policy window, nothing we can do." The funny thing was the person who initially answered the phone told us the date was Jan31 the same as the checkout person, the manager quickly dismissed this as a mistake.

3k and 3 weeks, later still no TV.

Way to keep us coming back Best Buy. Off to the complaint boards!
 26th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes

Best Buy - Purchased new printer, and I got a used one with No software Cd
Wakegan Rd
Deerfield
Illinois
www.bestbuy.com

Purchased a Kodak Printer All in One 5500 from Best Buy. (Worst Buy).
When I opened the box I found a used printer with ink cartridge installed and paper laded. No installation CD No manual and the power cord was in a staples bag.
I called the store where I had purchased it and they clamed that I had purchased a refurbished printer.
I paid regular price the box did not indicate used and I picked it up were all the other NEW? Printers were.
They have refused to get me a new printer as I purchased and the Manager is very rude! NO CUSTEMER SERVICE
They told me to write or call their HD to resolve it.
This is the second incident that I went thru with this store about a year ago when I purchased A HD Camera and when I opened the box at home there was no camera in the box. at that time they did get me the camera when I went back immediately a I was going on Vacation.

The Store is In Deerfield Il.
On Wakegan Rd and Lakecook Rd.
 11th of Apr, 2008 by    -1 Votes
When will consumers begin taking responsibility for their own mistakes? Come on, people! If the cashier HAD explained the return policy completely and thoroughly to every single person, you people would be complaining that they took too long! You're at a major electronics store making a BIG purchase...isn't it YOUR responsibility to make sure you know the ins & outs of this purchase? And if returning is potentially on your to-do list, why would you not take the 30 seconds to read the advertised disclaimer on the return policy? Seriously, people. Grow up.
 18th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I had a sililar expierience at Best-buy. My wife purchased a $249.99 item with cash for my birthday. When she asked the salesman if she would get her money back if I wanted to return it he told her yes because it was under $250.00. Well I did want to return it, so when I went to the customer service desk to return it with the receipt I was told they would send me a check in ten days because with sales tax the refund was over $250.00. I was told this information was on my receipt. She received the receipt after the purchase (a little late seeing how the transaction was already made). Why didn't the salesman mention sales tax was counted against the price when it comes to refunds? I now make all my electronics purchases at circuit city wheree if I pay cash they return cash on the spot!!!
 19th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
Well I am a Best Buy employee and also a customer service rep. Noone but the customer service reps know our whole return policy. I was a cashier and they never told me any policies or anything so please don't blame the employees. Blame management. I have heard and seen it all with angry customers from "I'm never shopping here again" to "F*** You". Really it's not the employees fault we are following rules given to us. If you guys have any complaints about thepolicy complain at 1888-BESTBUY and they handle it all. You cannot return any form of open media for a refund or exhange it for a different one only a identical copy. All open undefective cameras, laptops, and GPS's have %15 restocking fees everything else is returnable within 30 Days. Open video games and movies are not returnable only exchanable for the same thing. Really as a tip you can use Best Buy as a rental store. If you want to clean your house then buy a vacuum and use it and return it within 30 days, same goes for a TV or anything else. YOU HAVE 30 DAYS!
 20th of Apr, 2008 by    -1 Votes
Really Best Buy's return policy of 30 days, or 14 on particular items like laptops, is more than long enough to decide if you want a product or not. These policies are clearly represented on a giant display at the front of each store. I understand that the OP was purchasing it for a gift, next time bring him in to pick a laptop out. No one forced you to go to Best Buy, they have a more than lenient return policy and it is up to you to understand it prior to making a purchase if you think the product may be returned. It was foolish of you to assume that you could return a product, especially something like a laptop, any given amount of time after the purchase. Get real.
 21st of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
This complaint makes me want to scream, "Duh!" Why should they take it back without a receipt? That's why they GIVE you a receipt with each sale, so you can bring it back and they can verify the purchase. Are you completely daft?
 25th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Best Buy - failure to disclose prior repairs
best buy
Barboursville

I purchased a 50' plazma tv from best buy, it was an open box so we wanted to know why. the sales person informed us that it was taken to a customers home to be installed and it would not fit in the wall opening.. we decided since it had not been handled by a customer we would purchase it... well that was december 23, we did purchase the warranty on the item, (thank goodness) because on april 16 it went out... quit working completely. we called in to Best buy's warranty department, i was told that some one would contact me in 48 hours, , well after 1 week, and not hearing anything, we were getting upset but had not made a second call. 1 week after the first call the warranty department called me and said they were sorry that no one had come out but that some one would be contacting us in the next 24 hours. well two days later I get anther call from best buy they do not have a manufactures rep in the area will i call the manufacture and let then walk me through a trouble shooting exercise. I told them no, i paid for a warranty and I wanted them to send someone out... they transferred me to the manufacture who tried to do a trouble shooting call with me even after i told them no they needed to send a tech... in the process of getting her the information she needed to send out a tech, i found a note in the owners manual... the tv had been called in previous to our purchase by another customer because it was not working... so now best buy says "well the warranty is still good so what is the problem".. i purchased a new tv and expected to get a new tv not one that had alreay had repairs done to it... they have told me if I can get them the name of the sales person that maybe we can do something different. not just a repair it... well 45 minutes after I hung up the repair service that did not exit called me they are busy and will not be able to get to me till sometime next week.. they will call than to schedule something...
 9th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Best Buy - Screwed by Geeks
www.bestbuy.com

My computer stopped working. I spent over $300.00 at Best Buys and still my computer would not connect to internet. The Geek who serviced my computer withheld very basic information that could have saved me a lot of money.(things I could have done myself like INSTALL my OWN CD)

They wanted me to return for a NIC card (which I did not need) which would have cost another $100.+ with the installation.

I chose to go to a private business and it was repaired that afternoon.

I will NEVER give Best Buy any more money.

The GEEKS suck!!!