Barclays Bank

Posted:

Unfair practice for balance transfer

4.45
Barclays Bank
PO Box 13337
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I had inherited this credit card because LLBean changed Visa Providers. I noticed in my bill that they were offering a 2.99% interest rate for the life of the balance for any balance transfer. When I called, I SPECIFICALLY asked customer service rep about any hidden charges or fees I would incur by transferring a balnace. The answer was NO. I asked this questions THREE TIMES! All resulting in a NO answer. The customer service rep, Peter, told me that I did not have to use the checks enclosed in my bill and he would be more than happy to transfer the balance over the phone. Well, beware of the helpful customer service reps...

I received a 3% charge on my balance for the transfer. I immediately called and spoke to Supervisor Loita McNeal . Basically, her answer was WE DON'T CARE THAT YOU ARE UPSET!
The kicker is that I didn't even request this card. I got stuck with it because its who LLBean has decided to give their Visa services to. So, after I check the fine print on the back of the statement, I will pay off the balance except for the 3% charge and only pay them monthly the smallest amount possible. Now, I will cost them money to maintain, in good standing my balance for their delightful charge for screwing me!
Angry in New Jersey
Complaint comments Comments (65) Complaint country United States Complaint category Unauthorized Charges

Comments

24th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

Juniper / Barclay's - Business practices

I opened an account with Juniper/Barclay's in May 2007. I requested a balance transfer of a Well's Fargo deferred interest account in June 2007. Juniper/Barclay's paid the wrong person. A representative from Juniper/Barclay's said the account numbers were "not clear" so they "matched" the account numbers. Why would they be so careless considering they have all my contact information including my SSN? They eventually retrieve the monies & paid Well's Fargo, after the deferred interest promotion resulting in $500+ finance charge posted to the account. The account would have zero balance had Juniper/Barclay's not paid the wrong person. I informed Juniper/Barclay's July 12, 2007. It is July 24, 2007 & they have yet to contact me regarding the dispute. I should not be held accountable for another's incompetence. I will seek legal action.
 29th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes

England Barclay Premier League 07/08 - Fraudulent winning award
India

I am in receipt of a email from Mr. Paul Morrison who claims to be an clearing agent of England Barclay Premier League 2007/2008, in which I was informed that i have won an amount of GBP 3000,000.00 from the said premier league. And he also send me a form by mail, asking me to fill up my personal details like my postal address, details of the award etc.

After receiving the mail I immediately without thinking anything I filled up the form and send him at his email.

Very next day I received an mail informing me that my winning amount has been dispatched in the form of cheque and other documents through a "World Courier Express", I have not yet received any parcel so far.

In between I browsed the web site of the England Barclay premier League where I came to know that this is absolutely a fraud case and from your site I came to know that Mr Anirban Das was cheated by the same way.

As I have not received the said parcel, could you please give me your value added suggestions to avoid any further problems.

At the same time I would like request you to do something against this person so that common people like Mr Das and me should not be tried to be cheated by a person like this.

Thanking you,

With regards

Dipankar Mukhopadhyay
 29th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes

Barclays Premier League Season Award 2007-2008 - Not able to receive the winning parcel even after sending 450 pounds, as courier service
India

I'm in receipt of the mail from Mr. Paul Morrison, who claims as the clearance officer of the company BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE SEASON AWARD 2007-2008. In which I could receive the informations that I had won a huge some of money.

The only thing I had to do is to send the courier service named, World Express Courier Service, the charges for delivery. On the same I had already paid an amount of 450 Pounds, and in Indian Currency Rs. 38012 including all taxes.

They told me that they will deliver the parcel with in 72 hours, but till date I hadn't received any. At first they had sent me a Form from British Inland Revenue Board, and demanded 1,500 Pounds, but when I denied to pay any sum and requested them to return me back my courier charges, they were all mum. Then they sent me another form, in which they are demanding the amount of 640 Pounds in the name of British Inland Revenue board.

They had not only send me the mail, but also had a conversation over phone. But when I asked for the scan copy of the documents present in the parcel they told me that they are confidential.

Sir, I had already laughed a complaint to British Council in Kolkata- India, regarding the authentication of the same. I would be really obliged if you could take some serious steps, and let me know that whether there is any chances of getting back my Courier charges that I had paid. I knew that it is a great blunder done by me. But then also, is there any way to sort out the problem?

Thanking You,
Regards,
Anirban Das.
 12th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Juniper Bank (Barclays of Delaware) - I caught Juniper Bank in a lie!

In addition to sending a documented complaint to Juniper, I've filed complaints with the Delaware attorney general and the Delaware Better Business Bureau.

I called Juniper's automated hotline in June for my balance, and sent a payment for the full amount with a note to close the account. I received the July statement with a $10 "finance charge."

Since 1) I had cut up my card when I canceled; 2) Juniper's monthly statements include only the last four digits of your acct. no.; and 3) their customer service line charges you $15 to talk to a "relationship manager" (the term itself makes me gag), I decided to just pay the $10 and have done with it.

But I got another monthly bill in August saying the payment was late. After another attempt to figure out a way to contact them without paying $15, I finally gave up and sent in the $39.

But this time I sent it Priority Mail. And suspecting I might need it, I paid for delivery confirmation. Sure enough, Juniper sent me another bill for September, claiming they didn't receive the payment (due Aug. 31) until Sept. 4. But GUESS WHAT? I checked the USPS Priority Mail tracking number, and it said my payment was delivered at 4AM on Aug. 30! How about that? Now I wonder if they also lied about the other "late" payment, and just sat on it for several days like this one.

Needless to say, I'm fighting that bunch of crooks. These people are human garbage.
 6th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Juniper aka Barclays - Charging Overlimit Fees for No Reason
Juniper aka Barclays
PO Box 13337
Philedelphia
Pennsylvania
Phone: 866-283-6635
www.juniper.com

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THESE CROOKS!

I pay my bill on time every month and sometimes more than once a month. I am in the process of paying off my balance. In March, $39.00 overlimit fees starting showing up on my bill. They have even upped my interest rate! Calling gets you nowhere and I don't know where to turn for help, so I paid the fee. The next month, I was charged again. I begrudgedly paid the fee again. This month, there is another fee! I call again and the lady tells me that even if I paid off the account right this minute, they are going to bill for another $39.00 overlimit fee next month! So I say to her that no matter what I do or how low my balance is, I am still going to be charged a $39.00 overlimit fee EACH MONTH and she told me YES!!!

If you receive an offer from these crooks, RUN LIKE HECK!!!

THEY ARE CROOKS AND THIEVES! THEY WILL SCREW YOU OVER AND UP YOUR INTEREST RATES FOR NO REASON!!!
 28th of Mar, 2009 by    +1 Votes
It will be a cold day in hell before I ever use anything associated with Barclays again. Such a shame, too...as I love LL Bean and have shopped them for years. I've purchased skis, snowshoes, jackets, shoes, backpacks, apparel, sleds, everything under the sun. I make it a point to detour through Freeport whenever I'm in Maine just so I can stop at their store. But, since I use their Visa for the "freebies, " they will now loose a most of my business.

I closed my account with Barclay's this afternoon. Back in January, I received a statement with a ton of fee's for none-payment. This has never happened to me - I sent them a check payment on time, as usual. When I called them months ago, the rep. on the phone reversed all the fee's because I had sent payment. I thought this was all taken care of until today - when I received my statement. My APR shot up to something like 23%!! I called and they said it was because I had a delinquent payment. They were the rudest people I've ever dealt with; treating me like I was some sort of deadbeat. I kept telling them the fees were reversed because I did indeed send payment. They keep telling me they can't control the mail (like I can?). How convenient an excuse...and the perfect way to scam fee's. How do I really know the mail failed??! Maybe these people threw my check in the garbage just to raise my rate and hit me with fees - or- one of their ever-so attentive CS reps could've lost it. I had a Citi card a while back where my check was actually applied to someone else's account?!
And, yes, I really did send a payment. In fact, if one of these drones bothered to look at my history, they would have seen I'd been paying the card off completely - on time - every month.
I have never gotten so angry with a CS rep.; to the point of telling them to go to straight to hell. Who wants to deal with a company that makes you that aggravated??? You would think Barclays would want to keep their good customers. Use some common sense before branding them degenerates. Pull my credit report, look at my history - they'd easily see my accounts have no problems.

I called LL Bean's CS reps - as usual, they were outstanding and professional. I think everyone who's had a bad experience with this bank should let LL know. They're ruining LL's name and costing them customers.

Please LL, drop this crappy bank soon - I have a lot of shopping to do but I'm not doing it through Barclays.
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
I had the LLBean credit card for years with no complaint. When they changed to Barclay's Bank, I accepted their balance transfer offer. The balance transfer check (to another visa company with Barclay's Bank) cleared but was miscredited. Despite inquiries since November (and a copy of the cancelled check they finally produced), they claim they do not know whom it was paid to and I finally, after harassment by the other company, paid the disputed amount to them but am still paying the transfer check plus interest. In the meantime, my credit rating has been ruined. After this unresolved horror story, I will NEVER deal with LLBean or Barclay's bank again.
 6th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Yes they are a horrible bank and I am a customer of LLBean and had the experience of Barclay not sending the credit card bill in November, calling me in December on Christmas Eve and telling
me I missed a payment. Rasing rates and not notifying me that they were doing their dirt. I have never had a problem receiving bills or making a payment on time . Barclay is useless to speak with. Nasty, Nasty and unprofessional. We shall see if LLBean stands behind them or their customers. I have spoken to LLBean Customer Service 4 times and just today sent a letter to LLBeans CFO Chris McCormick. They need to do something about this Company or they will lose several more customers. Sorry for all the grief people are experiencing but I was glad to see that I was not alone. CE
 8th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
I just received a letter I owe 150$ for a 9.$ charge made 6 months ago to LLBean.
Barclays never sent me a bill. It was sent to my"email".
It's "your your problem you made the charge."
I can see I'm not the only one being ripped off by them.
What recourse to we have?
pissed off in Seattle
 14th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
This same thing just happened to me--they sent me an email bill - and I never got it because my SPAM system on my email caught it and wouldn't let the bill come to me. I had originally owed $2.95 and they told me that now I owed over $100. After much arguing, Barclays agreed to have me pay only the $2.95 but they said they would have to cancel my card. I will call LL BEAN to complain. I would like to have an LL BEAN credit card, though. North Carolina
 16th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
I thought I was the only one!! I've been an LL Bean customer for 30 years and NEVER had a problem with them or when their cards were through Bank of America. I've had the Barclay's card for 6 months and have had nothing but aggravation. The bank's customer service reps are arrogant and don't care about Bean's customers. When I wasn't getting any satisfaction I mentioned I'd have to cancel my card, the rep said to go ahead, he could do that faster than to find me the answer I called about. Hey, LL Bean!! You're voted one of the top companies for customer service in the world consistently----do something about this!!!
 24th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Did anybody notice the Bean/Barclay card is a 20 day account? And that the statements are mailed late so many times the payment has to be mailed the day the statement is due?

The card rep said they are receiving many complaints about the 20 day period and that will have to change it next year due to a new Federal Law. Why not change it now? LL Bean says the problems are between the customer and the bank and they are not involved. Now is a good time to run this one up the flag pole since Obama is castigating credit card companys .
 29th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
We received a 25 dollar late fee in addition to a 1 dollar finance charge for a 9 dollar bill that they posted 3 days after the due date. We are currently cutting up our LLBean card at this moment. We will never shop at LL Bean again or use any service even remotely connected with Barclays. Disgusted in Waterville, Maine. Rosemarie Kenney- Lavin Home State of LL Bean!!!
 4th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Barclays Login - Beware
Barclays Login

Something did not look right and I immediatly wondered why would the online banking system need my telephone banking details.

Called telebanking immediatly. They confirmed that I had handed all my financial details to spammers. My worst nightmare!!!

Anyway, the guys at barclays immediatly suspended my debit card and my telephone banking number. Mercifully, no fraudulent transaction had occurred. Since then I have used the login page above 20 times to feed him false info and hopefully making him realize that his phishing attempt will not work.

Please check the https sign before logging in

Please learn from this.
 12th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Juniper / Barclay - Payment Not applied

After talking to the incompetent customer service department I am writing this note to you. On June 5th 2009 I had an available balance of $25.85 which included the pending charges of $14.95 and $29.99 which is only 44.95. My credit limit is $250.00 On June 4th I made a payment of $100.44 which if my available was 25.85 my balance on the account was $224.15 less the payment that was on hold the account balance would have been 123.71. Even if the 44.95 was not included which would have put me over my limit my balance would have been $168.66. Not 224.42 which the balance is stating now. The payment was taken off of hold but not applied to the balance. I just made another payment that paid the balance in full. Maybe not the twenty something for fuel however my balance is not reflecting the payment of $100.44 from June 4th. I have made one fuel purchase since I have talked to the customer service department on the 5th of June I received a notice that the payment was on hold for seven business days. This issue needs to be resolved immediately I have made my final payment and I am not making any more payments because when this issue is resolved I will not owe anymore money. I will also be contacting the FRB and BBB regarding the company. I have never delt with more people that are most incompetent in all of my life my four year old could probably manage this situation better. Not to mention that when a payment is made directly from a checking account it is ridiculous that the payment is on hold the payment is cash. One other idiotic thing that I have had to deal with. I have had more problems with this company than any other company I have had any issues with. You do not care about your customers and I did not need the credit card I was using it for a convenience an it turned out to be a pain in my back side it has cause major unneeded stress and it certainly was not a convenience.
 24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have been a loyal LL Bean customer for 30 years, and switched from Bank of America to Barclay's because I expected the same excellent customer service form them as I get from LL Bean. Reading these other posts, I see I am not alone in my frustration with Barclay's.

I received a 3% charge for using the courtesy the checks issued by Barclay's bank as well, and was not informed of this when I called to ask them to send the checks to me. Imagine my surprise when I got my bill which had a $500 fee on it. I had planned on paying off the bill in full when I got it, which I have done every month for the past 20 years. So, in fact, I paid $500 to float $17, 000 for two weeks. Isn't that what a loan shark charges? I called customer service and got nothing but rude consideration, bounced form person to person and was repeatedly told that the rate was on the check. I finally got a fax number and address from them, and sent my bill with the charges and a copy of a blank "courtesy" check, which has nothing of the sort on it! This was three weeks ago. I called and asked if they got my fax. They replied that the had, andthat they sent a letter declining my request (which I still have not received.) Again, the same rude manner. I guess that must be because they are used to talking to people who have been ripped off, like me. I called LL Bean, they could do nothinb to intercede on my behalf. I plan to pay yhte bill when it comes, and cut up the card. This is my first time using the courtesy checks, and it will be my last. I also noticed that all of the terms and conditiond printed on the monthly statement conveniently leave out this interest charge figure. Shame on you, Barclay's- you are a predatory lender.
 28th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
If you are looking for free shipping at LL Bean but don't ever want to use their Barclay's card again, try this code: 3003260

I found it online, just used it and it worked! When checking out, enter it in the space provided under the "promotions" tab.

Good luck!
 13th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Absolutely rude customer service. LLBean should be ashamed and nervous to have a partnership with Barclays. I tried to use the email route with a complaint and Barclays sent me a cut-and-paste boiler plate response which clearly showed they didn't even open my account history to review it!! how embarrassing. And I know this sounds crazy, but I feel that they have "lost" two of my online payments in the last eight months...keep your payment confirm numbers! I didn't...and they dinged me $39 and the finance charges. I noticed the very next day after payment was due (I always check to make sure my payments were made as expected on all my bills) and made payment immediately. No understanding from Barclays. I got the "you signed a contract, blah, blah blah." I also agree that the 20 days is crazy...by the time I get my bill, I have less than one week to react...what if you're on vacation? Nonetheless, we had it only for free shipping, so if the code aboves works...I'm good...the coupon earnings were not great anyway, especially since I can get 1% CASH back on other rewards cards...Closed it!
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
They also have the Carnival Cruise line card so watch out for this one as well. I got the card with the bait and hook 0% intro rate. The first mistake I made was getting the card right before I moved - the second was thinking I was smart to register for the online paperless banking so the move wouldn't be such a problem. So the card I got was a Carnival Master Card ... the bank name on it is Barclay ...the EMAILS you get are from a very suspicious looking cc.juniper email address which my SPAM filter immediately flagged. I also didn't recognize it to find that mistake. I admit I was late then with the first payment and they automatically charged all the late/interest fees they could find, revoked the promo interest rate, and took all the "sea miles" away. I feel they intentionally use all these names so it is easier for mistakes like this to lean in their favor. BEWARE!!!
 7th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hey, you can still get free shipping without using that awful credit card!

Visit http://www.retailmenot.com/view/llbean.com
for the free ship coupon code - 3012422 is the current code.
Enter it in the "Promotions" section.
Used it tonight and it works fine.

I use to be a loyal LL customer - had their credit card for several years. I will never use a credit card backed by Barclays - NEVER! It's disappointing that such a stand-up company like LL Bean would partner themselves with such trash!

Good luck!