logo

Scammers

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Barclay's USAIRWAY Mastercard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - Deceptive Practices

Barclay's USAIRWAY Mastercard Contacts & Informations

Barclay's USAIRWAY Mastercard

Posted:    MHFP

Deceptive Practices

USAIRWAYS Mastercard Barclay's Bank
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Was offered 35, 000 USairways Frequent Flier Miles to open USAirways Mastercard. Read offer sheet thoroughly and found no mention of annual fee. Also 0% for 6 months on balance transfers. Needed the miles for pending USAirways travel. Currently have an American Airlines Mastercard. They have been a pleasure to use with clearly noted policies.
Checked online and found 3% charge on balance transfers. Reviewed literature sent with the card and no mention of the balance transfer is noted. It was noted on the back of a later mailing (Welcome to Your New US Airways MC), in small print, that a there was a 0% introductory APR on Balance Transfers for the first 6 billing cycles. In that paragraph, it is noted that a Balance Transfer fee applies to all balance transfers. No mention is made of the amount of the fee.
I was able to find the 3% charge in small print in the Cardmember Agreement.
All of this literature was received 2 weeks after I received the card and had already made the balance transfers.
I called and complained as well as emailed Barclay's (the Bank handling the card) immediately and their response was, "too bad". The email is noted below.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your US Airways MasterCard account.

We apologize for the inconvenience that these fees may have caused you. However, we can certainly assist you with your concern. Please note that all transfers are subject to a 3% transaction fee. The minimum charge is $5, not to exceed $100. Information about this fee was presented in the original offer you received, and is also included in your Cardmember Agreement.

In addition, please be informed that the $79.00 charge on the account for an annual fee keeps and maintains the account rewards program and its benefits. Information about this fee was presented in the original offer you received and also included in your Terms and Condition.

We have received your request to remove the Annual Fee in the amount of $79.00 which posted to your credit card account on March 31, 2009 and Balance Transfer Fees in the total amount of $132.85. Upon review of your account, we have determined that these fees were correctly imposed and will not be waived.

Although we would hate to lose your business, an e-mail request is sufficient to close your account. You may also close by phone at 866-419-0881, or by mail at the following address:
Juniper Bank

PO Box 8801

Wilmington DE 19899-8801
Comments United States Credit Cards
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Dec, 2009 by   BarcalyMasterCardTheft -1 Votes
Barclay Mastercard is theift and deceptive. I also was promissed the same thing for spiritair plus free membership, if I use it once a month. I never received the card. So, spiritair automatically charged me $39.95 for membership. And Master card got the apportunity they are looking for by addition late fees and interest. I tried to dispute the charge and they asked me to write a letter to spiritair. i decided to pay the money, till I have a chance to write spiritair. so I called to clear out and close the account which I did and they agree to clean out the late fees. a Month later, I get the same thing again. They charged me another late fee of $39.95. The reason now is that while I was disputing the charge, I was already late a day for the payment. Make any sense?
 4th of Jun, 2010 by   Mosspa +1 Votes
I have been a US Airways frequent flier for over 20 years. While I had no real complaints when Bank of America was the US Airways Dividend Miles card issuer, I was delighted when the card was taken over by Barclay, since I closed all my BoA accounts when I found they were issuing credit to illegal immigrants. I have had the Barclay's World MasterCard since the change-over took place. I have had nothing but good things to say about my experiences with the card. I fly a lot and the $89 I am charged for the card is well worth its benefits. I use the card for all my general purchases (including air travel) and my monthly balance generally ranges from $2.5K to $4.0K per month. So, in any given year, I earn enough mileage for at least 1 U.S. First Class ticket. For that benefit alone (a first class ticket can cost anywhere between $750 and $2000) the $89 annual fee seems a small price to pay. When you consider all of the other benefits of the platinum Master Card (rental car insurance, travel assistance, etc) the card would be worth 3x its current price.

As for people who sign contracts without reading them "caveat emptor". Also, I have trouble finding value in complaints of people who can not properly form an English sentence. Bravo for Juniper Bank not refunding the fees. Rewarding people for bad behavior is not an acceptable practice for the bank. Perhaps HMFT has now learned to read the contract before signing it. If not, too bad.
 29th of Aug, 2010 by   popsickl03 0 Votes
The same deceptive practice is still going on...I was on a flight and they announced prior to landing that this was a special offer and that we needed to fill out the form and hand it in before we left the flight. Isn't it interesting that this continues even though you and others have had the same experience. Shouldn't the federal and state officials be notified of this abuse of passengers and information.
I am awaiting my answer to the same questions.

Foreclosure - Options to Pursue, Scams to Avoid