logo

scamed/ripoff

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Auto Services Company, Inc., Arkansas Complaints & Reviews - refusal to honor warranty

Auto Services Company, Inc. Contacts & Informations

Auto Services Company, Inc.

Posted:    Holly Sp

refusal to honor warranty

Auto Services Company, Inc.
Arkansas
Phone: 800-264-5090
I purchased a 2003 BMW in 06-2008 and at the same time purchased a warranty by Auto Services Company. I since then have had to have work done to my car several times most recently within the past 7 days. Our mechanic contacted ASC and he was told that the warranty would not cover the work needed on the car. We then contacted ASC and were told the same thing. The car is consuming large amounts of oil due to elastic failure of the piston rings which is allowing the motor oil to seep from the engine block into the combustion chambers. According to our copy of the warranty, failed piston rings are explicitly covered and no restrictions on type of failure are mentioned. However, the Claims Manager of ASC has told us that piston rings are only covered if they are actually broken and that elastic failure is "normal wear & tear" and therefore not covered. Per the warranty, there is no written restriction regarding "normal wear" for internal engine components. My husband who has years in the auto parts/repair of cars, including but no limited to BMWs, is quite familiar with the appearance of a worn piston ring vs a defective one. One distinct difference is evident in the cylinder bores themselves. If the piston rings were worn out, there would be corresponding wear in the engine block within the cylinders themselves. This is not the case for our car, the original bore "crosshatching" created when the engine was first assembled is still present and well defined, where as if the rings were subject to the amount of wear necessary to cause them to lose elasticity the bores would be worn smooth, and possibly even gouged; and furthermore, according to several technicians this degree of "normal" wear is more commonly found in cars with more than twice the accumulated mileage than our car has. One should therefore conclude that the failure of the piston rings is due to loss of elasticity is due to material defect and not normal wear. We rented a rental car based on their word that they would cover the repairs and reimburse us for the rental car. Needless to say, I am looking at a repair bill of over $5500-
$ 8500 and 2 weeks of a rental car expense (at the minimum).

Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Mar, 2011 by   Upset in OKC +2 Votes
Do not waste you money on a warranty with ASC. You will constantly fight with them to get anything covered.
It is not worth the paper it is printed on!
 4th of Jun, 2011 by   ASEmechanic 0 Votes
Based on the research that I have done with this company they actually have a solid warranty program. More comprehensive then their competitors. The 1, 3, and 5 series are the only BMW's are surcharged vehicles. All other BMW's are restricted to the Drivetrain Plus coverage. The next coverage available is the Deluxe coverage for vehicles that are 2001 or newer. The deluxe coverage has an additional option that you can add, this would be the Total Care Coverage, which includes wear and tear for the seals and gaskets and upgrades the engine, transmission, and differentials to match the Factory Type Coverage. If this option was selected on the deluxe coverage then it would have covered this repair. As a mechanic I know that their are many variable to consider when purchasing a service contract. However, it is up to the consumer to become well informed about the service agreement in which they are purchasing. This company has been in business for 25 years and ASC Warranty provides excellent and efficient service. You have to do your homework and know about mechanical functions on your vehicle. Please do your homework and this would not happen. Also the BMW is a very high risk vehicle and very costly to repair, and if you take that to a BMW dealership repair facility be prepared to pay more then you would to an independent mechanic. Also take the time to review the service agreement before purchasing, thats what I do to be a proactive consumer.
 24th of Aug, 2011 by   the kurgan +2 Votes
A rep from ASC contacted me named Lee Euler. I asked him if your warranty is so good why have you not listed in the BBB? I also asked him if your warranty is so good why did your cancellations dept. tell me they hundreds and hundreds of cancellations a day? He refused to answer these questions and told me to have a nice day. ASC is an awful warranty. For instance, there roadside assistance sucks ass. they only pay 50 dollars towards a tow!!! A tow driver will not tow your car around a city block for 50 dollars.
 14th of Nov, 2011 by   Joeglow +2 Votes
We have had multiple warranties and this is far and away the WORST. Think of all the stories you seen in the news in any insurance sector and how their business model is built around denying claims and you have seen what business is like with this company. Their warranty does not pay for routine maintenance (understandable). We had our coolant flushed and 10, 000 miles later, the oil was leaking into the coolant. They had no choice but to pay to fix the oil issue. However, we now have coolant mixed with oil, so the system has to be flushed solely because of this issue. They are requiring us to pay for the coolant flush because it is general maintenance. We have had a couple issues that were identical to issues we have had with other cars. They were paid for no problem with CUNA Mutual and our credit union, but flat out denied with this company. Avoid them at all costs. We have purchased 3 cars from the same lot, but only got their warranty once. I have now let the car lot know that we love their service, but will never buy from them again until they drop this crappy, corrupt company.
 12th of Dec, 2011 by   Terry Small 0 Votes
Joe, my name is Terry Small, I am Director of Operations at ASC. I am sorry you experienced problems with your vehicle and our customer service. Please contact me at 800-442-7116 so that I may assist you.
 31st of Jan, 2012 by   mhealy +2 Votes
I have been disappointed by this company every time I have needed them. They authorized a repair on my truck for $944, the actual bill was $1065. I went ahead and paid it. I then got a check for $760, which the explanation that the shop used too expensive parts. I wont even go into the numerous claims they denied. I'm sorry, but this company has poor character.
 31st of Jan, 2012 by   Terry Small 0 Votes
Mhealy, , my name is Terry Small, I am Director of Operations at ASC. I am sorry you experienced problems with your vehicle and our customer service. Please contact me at 800-442-7116 so that I may assist you.
 9th of Feb, 2012 by   cburks98 +1 Votes
I am currently shopping around for my next vehicle. This warranty company was brought to my attention by a used car salesman here in Meridian MS. Now the sales pitch sounded good, but I told the salesman that I wanted to do some independent research before I make any decisions. I have to say, I am NOT impressed by the reviews on numerous websites that I have found about this company's business ethics, and its ability to honor their commitments too the letter. With the economy so bad I simply do not believe that I can afford to take the chance of getting burned on this deal.I mean when purchasing a used vehicle it is essential that the buyer is confident that they are receiving their moneys worth. We are already taking the chance of buying some one else s problem, but then again maybe it's only natural, they say there is no such thing as an HONEST used car salesman.
 23rd of Feb, 2012 by   PngPoro 0 Votes
I would like to give Terry a chance to change my mind. We have a 2004great Odyssey w/the shift problems. I would like to see ASC pay for this start to finish. The windows in rear have bad vent motors; I would like to be contacted in person. 920-342-5959
 24th of Feb, 2012 by   Terry Small 0 Votes
Ping Pro, thank you for the chance to investigate what is happening with your vehicle, I need some information from you to be able to.do so. When and from whom was the vehicle purchased? Where these concerns evident at the time of purchase? Which level of coverage do you have? Also, if you have your service agreement number it would be most helpful. Looking forward to your reply. Terry
 12th of Mar, 2012 by   InnerPain401 +1 Votes
This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. I give them 3, 000 dollars for a warranty that didn't cover anything I needed done. Finally the transmission in my 03 Saturn goes. All of a sudden I have a limit that no one discussed with me before signing the contract. Oh yes and for 3, 000 dollars. Why would I give them 3, 000 just in case I needed that much in repair work done?? So Terry Smalls answer to this is I never made a check to ASC (That's what I get for paying cash) SO he was pretty rude in making himself clear that they have no in interest in helping their customers or acknowledging the fact we even paid them to begin with. Now I have to go thru the BBB and use up even more time and energy. THANK YOU ASC FOR NOTHING!!!
 12th of Mar, 2012 by   Terry Small 0 Votes
Mr. Cruz,
As we discussed, ASC does not offer service contracts to individuals nor do we offer direct to the public. Our agreements can only be offered by franchised or independent dealerships. On March 9th, our claims department approved a claim in the amount of $3, 000 for the transmission repair on your 2003 Saturn . Due to the vehicle having in excess of 140, 000 miles at time of purchase, your vehicle did not qualify for an agreement that would provide coverage up to the actual cash value of the vehicle. Additionally, if you can provide documentation showing your purchase price of the agreement, rather than your statement of "paying cash", I will be happy to assist you in any fashion I can. Terry Small 800-442-7116
 17th of Apr, 2012 by   bentoverinky 0 Votes
I just posted a complaint about ASC and can't find it again. However, they called me back within 10 minutes of sending an email complaint and are paying the claim for a drive shaft issue and a day of rental. I feel pretty good about the fast response and willingness to work with me.
 16th of May, 2012 by   D-Mingo +1 Votes
I have a 2006 BMW and have had multiple claims denied. All should have been covered under the "warranty". I called and spoke to a rep and they assured me that they would be covered only to then be denied when I brought the vehicle in for service. I am beginning to regret making this purchase...
 16th of May, 2012 by   Terry Small 0 Votes
D-Mingo,
Please call our office. We will need your name and agreement number to research your complaint. Thanks, Terry Small
 26th of May, 2012 by   Rob Castillo 0 Votes
I have worked with this company for many years, they are a company that far exceeds the normal process that most extended warranty companies offer. The first and foremost is the simple fact they do not have a deductible on any of their coverages, not the base drive-train through the totally inclusive factory coverage. Most extended warranties have a deductible which not only limits the usefulness of spending a couple of thousand dollars for coverage on your car, but prolongs and increases most mechanical or electric issues most people hate having to pay to use the program. The deductibles can be as high as 250 and most people don't even think that there is a way to get a lower one or exclude one all together. Secondly on used cars most extended warranties have a tier system, tier one is the least prone to issues like honda, toyota, nissan, some domestic "models" not brands, which increase substantially the cost. The worst tier is usually a tier 4 land rover, jaguar, volvo, audi, etc. even if they cover the vehicle all together, ASC simply goes off the age and mileage of the the vehicle the true dictation of WEAR not trying to curtail their profit vs loss with different brands. There are certain vehicle that have proven to be cost prohibitive to warranty and they cannot offer coverage but that list is far smaller than the list of surcharges that most extended warranty companies have. They also give the opportunity to give a substantially longer duration of coverage and mileage than most which equate to both value and dedication to the expensive product that is an extended warranty, they have a program that will cover all the way up to eight years or 100k miles with factory style coverage, what ever the manufacturer deemed covered they cover. The only thing you buy with insurance much like term life insurance is duration and expense and in my book longer and more mileage is more attractive than less. Every warranty company is cautious of paying more than they take in but in order for a company to sustain long term fiscal viability it must make it self shielded from inevitable issues like certain know factors like age of vehicle, proclivity to issues and do its due diligence to provide a better than average product like the one ASC offers. Last but not lease their is always someone available to help explain or assist with inevitable used car issues and maximizing a possible purchase of a program.
 28th of May, 2012 by   Terry Small 0 Votes
Thank You Rob.
 29th of May, 2012 by   UpstateT +1 Votes
Just got off the phone w/ the warranty company and completely agree with everyone else. We have the factory warranty coverage and are being told that only a certain amount is covered and that I need to call a salvage yard for a motor which is unbelievable! Manager's don't call back and "investigators" threaten customers. When you ask them to put something in writing, they tell you they won't! I'm so upset right now I can't even type. Tomorrow I'm taking the warranty and the mechanics information to the lawyer, as well as contacting the BBB. ASC is a complete and total rip off.
 29th of May, 2012 by   Terry Small 0 Votes
Upstate, Please call me and I will check into your issuse. Terry Small 800-264-5090
 25th of Jun, 2012 by   RAndrus +1 Votes
We are having an issue with our 2006 Dodge Durango that has less than 100k miles and we have only had for 9 months. We have had a rental car going on 3 weeks now due to waiting on the "investigator" to approve our repairs to our transmission. Instead of allowing the shop to replace the two parts or put in a rebuilt transmission this so called warranty company would only approve a "used" transmission...well fine and dandy until the used transmission was delivered this Saturday, installed and it's no good. So now my husband calls and is given the run around..we have no idea who will foot the rental car bill and really tired of not having our truck. I'm scared to death to drive the truck once we do get it seeing as it will have a mystery transmission in it. Just fix the truck, pay the rental and do it fast because my patience is running very thin!

Shop on Small Business Saturday