AT&T Uverse

Posted:

Service

4.3
The worst decision I have made in years was to change over from Dish Network through ATT to the bundle of U-verse internet, digital phone and cable TV. We have had nothing but grief. Their technical support is non-existent, or puts you on hold for days. It is all miserable
Complaint comments Comments (45) Complaint country United States Complaint category Satellite & Cable TV

Comments

11th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I applied for the Uverse services from AT&T. I have had cell phone service with them since they first took over Cingular. I have over $200 in cell and data services for my two sons and myself. I found that when I had moved I had an old home phone cell bill so paid that $69 bill that I was told was outstanding in order to get service. I was then told that my credit I have bankruptcy was not good enough for the U-VERSE feature yet they were willing to sell me home services, internet and satellite services. Although my account for cell phone is in good standing and I paid off my debt they refuse service. I asked to lodge a complaint and have been told on 3 separate occasions that a supervisor/manager would call me back. It has been over two weeks now and no one has yet to call me back. I was told there was no online way to make a complaint. I was also told that it's different credit report they run for the other services and that there is no way to make deposits to get service on etc.

Before when it was SBC and Cingular services was very good and always a response back. Since AT&T has taken over services have gone down hill and just because I didn't qualify for one of their offerings I found it inexcusable not to get call back. I will probably start looking for other cell phone services based on this poor representation by the new U-Verse process.
 14th of Aug, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Yea, They did the same thing to me.

THEY NEVER TOLD ME THEY WERE GOING TO RUN A CREDIT REPORT.

I will be complaining to all my state city, county, state and federal offices, until they get fined. (It is illegal to do that!)

I OWN my home! I OWN my car!
Never been late on my phone bill in 4 years, never been late on my cable bill in 4 years.
(Yes, I had a bankruptcy - guess when, 4 years ago).

They have lowered my credit score, by checking my credit WITOUT MY PERMISSION!!!

Not only will I never use their service, I going to switch EVERYTHING over to TWCable.

1.) So, now they are going to lose money.

2.)I am active resident in a 200 unit building who be slamming ATT to every unit owner.

3.) I am a cutting edge tech leader type, Who bought a Mac in Feb. of 1984, who bought a palm pilot in 1994 when they were still made by U.S. Robotics, who bought a ReplayPVR in early 1999...etc. Before anyone even new what it meant. I have many, many customers/ clients...

Note: To ATT -U-Verse marketers piss off one person and you pissed off hundreds.
 25th of Aug, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I too have a bone to pick with AT&T. Shotty service, misleading advertising, piss poor customer service, and a laise-faire attitude about us as a customer. I never had issues with Time Warner and that is where I am headed, back to TW.

My over all issues can be seen at http://stevanpierce.blogspot.com
 1st of Sep, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I'm pretty frustrated with the whole credit check thing myself. I certainly don't have the glowing credit others do on this thread, but I have never been denied for television service (or any utility of any kind, actually) in my life. In one or two instances, I've had to put down a deposit (which I would be OK with), but never denied completely. It's elitist garbage and very irritating.

My actual story is that my current apartment complex has an exclusivity agreement with Time Warner, and I've suffered through their service issues for months. In June, I actually lodged a complaint with the PUC to complain about not having any other service outside of TW. AT&T responded to me (must've been forwarded to them?) and they started building out in my area. After a month or two, I contact AT&T and they worked with their engineers to finally get me marked as serviceable. I immediately tried to order service, only to be denied because of my credit! I made several calls, and no one was able to tell me who I needed to speak with to make this right. I wrote them a very long, detailed telling of these events, and how poorly I was treated when I was looking for a straight answer about my denial due to my credit (the best I received was that I'd be getting a letter with more detail, but it never came), but I've not received a reply in any form.

More frustrating then the choice to not be allowed to have AT&T service is the complete mystery surrounding it. Isn't there something that can be done?
 24th of Sep, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Tech support is pretty good, but customer service is very, very bad. I live in Houston and our service went down in Hurricane Ike. Waited a week to call and see if they had any information. After a pretty good sample of the runaround, I got a person who told me the service would be back up in 3-4 hours. Not so. Two days later, I called again. After quite a bit of time on the phone, I was told I would be transferred to the Uverse customer service department (?! the number I dialed was supposed to be the Uverse customer service department). That transfer got me a recording that I had to call back during normal business hours. The next day I did. Twice. After about 20 minutes on hold each time, I was summarily disconnected. The next day I waited on hold again for about 20 minutes and was told that Uverse's techs would be going door to door putting up notices asking if customers had service and giving them a number to call if they didn't (!). I asked for the number, so I could save them the trouble. That didn't work either. I've put a notice on my own door (it's now about two weeks after the storm) with my cell phone number to call if they show up, but this is amazingly bad. I understand they have a big job to do, but the power company (the Power Company!) around here has a bigger one and they have outage information updated twice a day available on line and on cell phones. What kind of customer service do you have when the electric company does that much better than you?
 1st of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
A salesman just left my house after talking me into trying the AT&T UVerse service for over 30 minutes. He called his service department to setup an install date, and after going threw every bit of information about me, they asked for a credit card because I was high risk. I gave them my Visa debit card which money comes directly from my bank account, and they wouldn't accept it. There was no mention of a credit check. I have had Comcast cable and inet access since, well, forever. If this is how the business model runs for AT&T in the beginning, I could imagine the problems which lie ahead, and I sure wouldn't recommend AT&T service for anyone.
 8th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
All of these services run credit checks, they arent gonna put up all this equipment in your home if youre a bad risk. All wireless carriers do credit checks as well, but may have different standards.
 13th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Do not switch to AT&T beside the fact the system is never working, & you can never get thru to the company. They don't show up when appointments are scheduled. I had my uverse dvr/computer/phone put in in August 2008, and I don't think I have had more than one week go by that I have had to call them out for repairs. They have missed 5 scheduled appointments, with not even a phone call. Try to call them and you go thru a rediculus recording system, only to have to hold for 20 or more minutes. They seem to think all you have to do is sit home by the phone twiddling your thumbs.
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Dont feel bad, I work for them!!! They call me three times a day wanting me to get the service. Finally I agreed. They ran me through a credit check and told me I was high risk because I filed for bankruptcy three years ago. Since then I am on the road to repair my credit I have two low rate credit cards in which I pay in full every month and a low rate car payment. I pay all of my utilities on time every month not to mention my phone bill (I work for them for heavens sake!!!) I asked why and they said because of the equipment, not that they think I would steal it(hello? they know where to find me!!) then they had the nerve to tell me that the CEO and shareholders don't want to offer this service to people with bad credit. Hello? I AM a shareholder!!! Did I get left off of this vote? I feel that this is discrimination. I told them that credit can be fixed but loyalty cannot. Pretty soon they will be throwing uverse at us. Don't worry, I know first hand... It just makes me mad that they call us wanting us to get this and then embarrass us by running our credit and denying us. I don't think this is the time to be doing this to us given our economy and all.
 29th of Oct, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I regeret the day that I signed up for uverse. For the second time, they are willing to let me live without phone service. The last ime it was for a week, until a tech told me how to jerry rig the system. Now it will be another week before they will correct the problem. And the jerry rig is not working this time. I will be calling in the morning to have the system removed. All the phone people have been nice, but apparently, you can't get uverse to give you service. I have begged and begged for them to correct the problem but it doesn't seem imoportant to them. I have spent over 500 minutes tryng to get the problem solved. I give in.
 12th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I was a satisfied AT&T DSL customer for years - switched to uverse and so far the words "nightmare" and "unacceptable" are appropriate.

As others are commenting, the worst part is calling 800-228-2020 - absoutely impossible to get the voice-automated assistant to get you to "uverse technical support."

I had it installed yesterday, and have been on hold for over an hour (20 mins each time to get anyone on the line, longer to get to uverse support).

I demanded that the residential support agent NOT put me on hold, told her to cancel uverse and put me back to DSL...after tracking down the uverse cancel agent, he offered escalated support number and dispatched a technician...

uverse escalated support - 866-446-4115 - supposedly they will get tech support on the line and call you back.

i have a tech coming today, if this doesn't resolve the issues, i will cancel rather than go through the PAIN of trying to get to technical support.

AT&T had sort of impressed me with the relative ease of getting DSL tech support on the phone - this UVERSE nightmare has changed my opinion of them.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
we were to have connection 11/21 08 today is the 24th everything is done inside and we still have no connection. called and we might be connected 11/26 I am not very satisfied with this service
 30th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
i have had this service for two weeks. half the time the system does not work. picture freezes up. help line is useless. you call for service, they allways have an excuse as to why i should try something different to see if i can get it to work before calling out a tech. customer service is lousy. they hung up on me when i told them i wasn't paying for service i have not had or that i have to work on. this company is a joke.
 30th of Apr, 2009 by    +1 Votes
DO NOT subscribe to this product. Our volume goes out, picture freezes up. computer wont run and remote control buttons stick! I have spent more hours on the phone trying to get these issues resloved than I would like to remember. After another gruling 2 hours today and a few tears. NOTHING has been resolved! The contantly have me unplugguing and plugging in power cords. I have asked for a service call and was denied this service until I went through there systems check. Well I did all that...got disconnected and here I am at square one. AT&T IF YOU CARE ABOUT THIS PLEASE CONTACT ME...you have my number I have left it pleanty of times.
 30th of Apr, 2009 by    +1 Votes
All you have to do is say operator and the recording stops and send you to a tech. Just spent 20 minutes telling him we were about to cancel. I've had them out 4 times since December...and it's been that few because I can't stand using cell phone minutes to spend an hour on the phone because my home line doesn't work...and I can't catch the ending to Grey's Anatomy because Meredith Grey's Face is Frozen on the SCREEN! I hate AT&T Uverse...I kept getting apologies tonight for my non service. I have several friends that have NO PROBLEMS at all and all I have are problems...Drives me insane!!! We are getting a $50 credit..and a SENIOR TENURED TECHNICIAN to come out...whatever that means! I just want to cancel and continue to get ripped off by Suddenlink!
 3rd of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
You know I agree with those who say AT&T Uverse does not work. I signed up for the system when it open into my area, about a year and half ago. The problem with the system freezing is not acceptable. I have called their Tech service so many times since I signed up I have lost count. I have experienced all of the problems. I have put them on alert that I am going to change all my system from AT&T and that means the three land lines and two cell phones at my work and the Uverse system at home. They will really not care until the noise gets too loud. At least I have a case number now that I can refer back to.
 17th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
This system crashes more often than a demolition derby entry. We've had it for nearly a year, and love all the cool channels, but it locks up/crashes/freezes continually, and nothing AT&T's techs tried to do (we had them out a dozen times just after our installation) helped at all. Today it (both tvs and the broadband connection) went down no less than 25 times - every few minutes, all day. The problem seems to be triggered *somehow* by certain frequencies/tones: it often freezes the moment the phone rings or when you push particular phone buttons. It's also frozen when my mantel clock chimes, and when the front porch wind chimes are ringing on a windy day! Not a coincidence: it's happened too many times. Usually it comes back on within 30 seconds; other times, it stays locked up for 20-30 minutes. And yes, we've also tried all the resets and "cures" their tech support people suggested. Nada. After all those service calls proved futile, AT&T appeared to throw up their hands and put us on some sort of "ignore these people" list: they'd schedule a service call, but no one would show up. So... we're about to give up and, most reluctantly, go back to Time Vader Cable. Not that we really want to. But sadly, Uverse just plain doesn't work.
 17th of May, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I just left Directv after 10 years and had Uverse installed 5 days ago. Yesterday was the absolute worse day..EVER. My screen froze up every 15 - 30 minutes. We tried the soft reboot ; the hard reboot ; was on the phone with tech support three times where they ran their tests and rebooted my whole connection and all it did was get worse. The TV with the DVR receiver is the one that freezes up. My other TV does not.

I have a tech showing up tomorrow evening. Has anyone changed the receiver and had the problems corrected? Everything else seems to be working fine.
 17th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
We had everything in the entire set-up replaced, from the phone pole fittings to every last connector inside. They even replaced the gateway, the dvr and the second tv's receiver. It seemed to get better for a very short while, but then started freezing up again. Absolutely nothing AT&T tried helped. :-( Why are they selling a system that doesn't have the bugs worked out of it yet?????
 20th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Wow, my husband and I are so dissappointed to be in the same situation as all of you. We live in Houston, TX and absolutely love all the features of AT&T UVERSE. But it doesn't work. I work as a recruiter and I remember about a year ago I met with a former AT&T employee who quit her job in technical support because she said the system was so messed up that all she did all day was deal with unhappy people. She said the system has serious problems and they didn't have the people it took to fix the problems or to support the issues. I remember she mentioned something about the remote controls not working with the system well. She was a temporary employee assigned there from a placement agency and didnt have a technical background. I've been a recruiter a long time and have heard a lot of ex-employees say a lot of things so I took what she said with a grain of salt.

I was hoping when we got UVERSE that they had resolved those issues because my husband was very excited about getting it. So here we are a little over a year later after having UVERSE. We got off to a pretty good start I don't recall any major issues for the first 6-9 months but all of a sudden the problems started and they haven't stopped. It started with our system freezing the image on our screen for a few minutes, then it would freeze for longer and longer until it just stayed frozen. So we did the hard reset of the box. I don't think that has ever worked for us once--in fact it seems to just make sure the system will not come back on. So then we called technical support. Although we got an automated system every time we called our tv would start working within a few minutes at the most of calling and sometimes when we answered the first question. So seems like they have an automatic program set up to check your system as soon as you call in. Now that makes me wonder how much money and time it took to write that program and leads me to think if they took the time and money to do that then i would have to think that there was no other more cost effective or efficient fix---in other words quite possibly they can't fix the problem so they created an automatic fix when you call in.

Meanwhile back to the facts. So every day we call somewhere around 2-5 times. We call, get the auto system, answer one or two questions the tv comes back on. Inconvienant but it wasn't like we were missing out on entire tv programs. But when that started taking more like 45 mintues on the phone with them, we asked for technicians to come out and check out the system. They rescheduled the first appointment but showed up for the second. Technician said we had an old box and replaced the main box (modem or gateway whatever it is) So we have a new box. Now the system goes out even more often. Technicians to the rescue again after another 45 minute phone call. Second time two technicians are sent again. First one said he couldnt find anything wrong with the lines so the second one is going to come the next day. But he ended up being right down the street and stopped in the same day. That was nice. Second guy showed my husband how to check the box (modum--gateway whatever) to see if the green light was on or the red. And if the red light was on he needed to unplug it and plug it back in. I thought that was rather innovative. I'm thinking that I'll try that with the washer and dryer, my blow dryer and a few other items to see if I can get better performance out of them.

So now our system goes down about every 20-30 minutes but sometimes we can go for two or three hours without it going out. The Internet is an entirely different issue. It goes out regulary and says we have local access only--- in otherwords no connection. Thank goodness I have a verizon wireless card and can get online that way. So today the TV went out about three times, the internet did not work for most of the day but the topper was when the remote stopped working. That happened at about 5 pm. I changed the batteries thinking that had to be it. No such luck. So I can't get the guide to come up, then the volume control didn't work, then I cant turn the TV on or off. I got the remote out of the other room. It pulls the guide up but no volume control. I called technical support and they are sending someone out tomorrow between 12-4. I told him if they can't fix our system we are going to have to cancel the service. I'm sure he was thinking--sure lady--I'm just a temp and I wish you luck.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree