logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Listia.com
This site is badly administered by a group of moderators who have little or no sense of logic, or fairness
2. (31 mins ago)
BridesOfUkraine.com
I paid money for nothing
3. (1 hr 21 mins ago)
ATT
job offer rescinded
4. (1 hr 29 mins ago)
DTDC Courier Service
Non Delivery of letter and wrong claiming of delivering the same.
5. (1 hr 53 mins ago)
Canadian Tire Store
Filthy public washroom

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Aldi's Hereford Canned Beef Corned, Illinois Complaints & Reviews - poor quality

Aldi's Hereford Canned Beef Corned Contacts & Informations

Aldi's Hereford Canned Beef Corned

Posted: 2012-05-18 by    sejs

poor quality

Aldi Foods
Illinois
Aldi has a habit of switching their store brands on a regular basis and often this has meant a poorer quality replacement. But nothing prepared me for my first and last can of Hereford Canned Beef Corned. The new (improved) pull-top lid failed immediately. Since the lid was clearly marked do not use a can opener I resorted to hammering it with the butt of my chef's knife to break the seal. After prying the lid partly open I tried to remove the contents with a fork but it resisted, holding together in a solid rubbery mass. Fair warning! I should have stopped then and there but I was hungry and determined to have made from scratch corned beef hash for breakfast. Using a slice and dice strategy I was finally able to remove spam-like chunks of beef and transfer them to a waiting hot skillet. But It didn't melt with the heat or crumble under the pressure of my spatula . Whatever was holding this mystery meat together wasn't fat despite the label claiming 70 calories from fat for every 120 calorie serving. I looked next at the listed ingredients: Beef, Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Nitrite. Not exactly healthy but nothing unexpected. Did they neglect to mention silicone? More likely, "Beef" is really finely textured beef AKA pink slime.
Comments United States Food
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Jun, 2012 by   lcreel44 0 Votes
I ASKED BY DAUGHTER TO PICK UP A CAN OF "CORNED BEEF" FOR ME. SHE DID. IT WAS HEREFORD. I OPENED IT EASILY. THE CONTENTS WHERE DISGUSTING. A PLASTIC LIKE SUBSTANCE THAT DIDN'T BREAK UP INTO THE USUAL STRANDS OF BEEF.
I FINALLY REALIZED THAT THIS IS WHERE ALL THE "PINK SLIME" WENT WHEN IT WAS SUPPOSILY PULLED OFF THE MARKET.
GEE, WHAT DO WE DO WITH ALL THIS SLIME? LET'S PUT IT IN A CAN AN SELL IT AS CORNED BEEF. THESE PEOPLE, HEREFORDS, NEED TO BE ASS WHIPPED. WHERE'S THE FDA? WHERE ELSE WAS THIS CRAP HIDDEN? FDA?
 2nd of Sep, 2012 by   paglue 0 Votes
A major disappointment. I used to buy Hereford and Libby's for many years before the ban on the South American products a year or two ago. I bought a six pack when Costco carried it recently, with great anticipation. It was no way similar to the SA version...like eating plasticised goop...an awful poor imitation of SPAM...and as another user mentioned, you need a hacksaw to open the can...
I am awaiting Libby's version and hope it will be like the traditional product...
 29th of Jan, 2013 by   rocknrolldiehard 0 Votes
For many years I have bragged that I had an advantage over the wealthier class version of corned beef and cabbage. Instead of sliced corned beef from the meat dept I would simply use canned corned beef. Unlike slices of corned beef, it broke down and perfectly blended with the cabbage, making a great meal.
I have just opened a can of Herefords 'canned beef corned.' The funny shaped can had been replaced by a spam can. The opening key had been replaced by a pull top. But worst of all, the substance in the can was not the same. I agree with the comments above calling for a general Herefords ass whipping. Herefords, hear our voices! Give us back the great product we have been accustomed too!
 29th of Oct, 2014 by   cudaguy 0 Votes
I love Aldis and there are very few of their products I do not like but Hereford corned beef hash was absolutely horrible. First of all the little meat that is in it is weird and ultra chopped up. Who knows what else was mixed in and what percentage corned beef. But I wasn't that worried about other additives in the corned beef because there was so little, it was basically 80 percent potatoes. My dog and I had a can with 2 eggs for super and it was most unsatisying as a meal living looking for something else to make. Corned beef hash is a comfort food to me and I enjoy it with a couple eggs and goobs of ketchup and it was so bad I will be making some homemade rather trying to find a decent canned product. Could have just bought a can of potatoes.
 29th of Oct, 2014 by   cudaguy 0 Votes
I'm sorry it is Brookdale not Herford. But it is Aldis brand and I love 98 percent of their products but this is the worst

FBI Mortgage Fraud Crackdown