Unauthorized charges

Oh, one last detail. The charge was for $34. 99. The thing that makes me so mad about this is that it costs the bank money to re - issue the card. It is also a hassle as it will take 7 - 10 days to receive the replacement card - at xmas time. I live in ct (Outside nyc) . What states do all of you others that had this same problem live in? I've heard about these scams where guys sit in their cars and have a computer that is rigged to rip off credit card numbers as they are swiped when you make a purchase. Isn't wireless technology wonderful. I wonder if this is that scam. I have used this particular card so little, that i'm guessing it is some scam like this. Kudos to the credit card company for reversing out the charges the same day.
Complaint comments Comments (121) Complaint country United States Complaint category Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful?

11th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Match.com - Unauthorized charges

Match.com - dating online service

I enrolled match.com for 3 months to give it a try, I started the subscription on 05/29/07.

On 8/27/09 they charged my account for an additional 3 months, this charge was unauthorized and there was no courtesy email to remind me of renewing my subscription. I find this very unprofessional, and who can tell me that they won't make any other unauthorized charges when they feel like it (seems this company has such power over my own checking account) -it's ridiculous. I requested immediate cancellation of my subscription on 09/03/07 (when I became aware of this), and I received an email that they have a "no refund policy". So basically they can take when they want and no be accountable??? Will appreciate someone's help on this.

Eduardo Guerrero.
 13th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Match.com - Stay away from this one!

I joined match.com to find other singles with herpes and HIV for casual sex and couldn't find any in my area despite this websites extended coverage that they quote.

Stay away from this one!
 13th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
Omg don't try Matchmaker International, it's a way more expensive scam!
 27th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I recently encountered a similar problem with their sister company, Chemistry.com. I knew my account was coming up for renewal soon, and in order to pre-empt a possible automatic renewal, I cancelled my subscription. Six days later, my credit card was charged $160 for said cancelled service. I called to complain about this, as their mistake not only cost me the $160, it also caused my card to overdraft, which cost me another $40. The woman I spoke with told me that the company is not responsible for overdraft fees. I can understand this under normal circumstances, but considering it was their mistake that caused this, it is unacceptable that they don't take responsibility for erroneous actions and ensuing problems caused by such. Their mistake adversely affecting my credit score IS indeed going to become their problem. I let her know this was unacceptable, at which point she informed me that she was doing me a favor because she "didn't have to give a refund" because my account was allegedly "unresigned" after it was "resigned." Yet she offered no proof of this, and refused to give me the name of a supervisor. She gave me a P.O. Box address for the billing department, so I can send a letter. Apparently I'm "lucky" they're refunding money they were never authorized to take, yet I still have to deal with the financial ramifications of their faulty actions.
 18th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes

Match.com - Unauthorized charges

At the middle of February I signed up for what I believed to be a one month subscription for Match.com, an internet dating service. When my checking account was debited at the middle of March, I checked with my bank and found Match.com had sent the debit through. When I contacted Match.com and requested a refund, I was told I had agreed to the ongoing charge and the charge would only stop when I "resigned my membership." If there is such an obligation in the agreement, it is not obvious nor is it made clear. I did resign my membership, effective April 15th 2008, but as of today, March 18th, Match.com continues to refuse to credit my account. In addition to the ongoing charges, the matches were terrible.
 1st of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
OMG your such a dumbass. Match.com is for people looking for relationships, not casual sex. If you wanna be more of a slutt, kinda figuring from the casual sex and the STDs, then join a site all about sex like adultfriendfinder
 1st of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
Try reading the Terms of Use dumbass. There is also a paragraph in BOLD right before you click submit on the website about the auto renew program. Dont blame Match.com just because you dont know how to read something before you put your credit card info in. How stupid are you?
 19th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
George Ganssle

I joined match.com in the autumn of 2002, after I temporarily relocated to Texas for my job. As I prepared to return to NY in December of that year I cancelled my account with match.com. I'm sure I received a 'confirmation cancellation number', but don't know what I did with it.

In early 2003, back in NY, I was perusing my Discover Credit Card statement and noticed a monthly deduction for match.com and immediately called you guys to again cancel. I was assured that, this time, I was definitely off the books. I don't have many opportunities to check my statements, as I'm away from home about 90% of the year.

Today I noticed that my statement again had a monthly deduction assigned to match.com in the amount of $26.60. I'm certain that I don't have to tell you that I was well beyond incensed. After two phone calls-one to your place in Dallas, where I spoke to a helpful girl named Denise and one to Discover card, I determined that this deduction has taken place each month for the past 5 years. That's over $2, 000!

Denise told me that there was no 'brick & mortar' address available for match.com where I could send a conventional letter of complaint. Email was the only form of communication that I could use. If you check your records you will see that I haven't accessed the match.com website in over 5 years, so I'm not trying to pull a fast one. Additionally, if I hadn't met a lady in that length of time, I'm sure I would've adopted a life of celibacy.

I assure you, sirs, that I will not rest until I've recouped every penny of the funds that were charged to my card. If it costs me $5, 000 in legal fees to get the $2, 000 back, I'll do it. Hopefully, this will get no uglier than it already is, but I just wanted you to be aware of my 'pit bull-like' resolve to get, what I call, justice in this matter.

Respectfully yours,

George Ganssle
 4th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
My credit card was charged by this company without my authorization.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I just found the same charge on my account. I asked them to disclose all info on the person that used the number...instead I got a email address to inquire about the transaction. Thanks for nothing! I am on my way to the bank too. Great!!
 28th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Getting the same thing as I looked at my charges online. It's 2 pending unauthorized charges. Never been to the Match site, so therefore just as you, have to go to my bank tomorrow as well. Those f*ckheaded losers have done this before on another debit card that I had to cancel.
 30th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
There is nothing they can do about overdraft fees they can only refund you the cost of the subscription. Also, it is stated in the terms of use that there is an auto-renewal program. Also, I hate to tell you this, but you're pretty much wasting your time and money if you consulted a lawyer in regards to this matter. Usually if the representative notices that you haven't used your account in so long then they can usually credit you back a few months at least I believe. Especially when you are at least nice to the representatives/supervisors even though it is a difficult thing to do after losing so much money on an unused service.
 1st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Our credit card was billed as WMV*Match.com for 34.99 and credited back the same day. The company said it was fraud but would not give any information. Since my husband or I have not used this service, it has of course caused each suspision. No one needs that now-a-days in a marriage. Now we have to change our credit card number. Whoever is doing this should be hung up and castrated.
 1st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
WMV*MATCH.COM 800-326-5161 TX also posted an unauthorized/fraudulent charge on my credit card. The credit card company reversed out the charge on the same day it was posted, so they must have been on to this scam. When I called the credit card company, they recommended cancelling the card.
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was told the charge to my account would be deleted. I has
Appeared on my bank of america account.

Date:01 / 20 reference no. 3311
Aaccount number:5867

Please remove. . . Madge rowden
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
just be careful. and I will be careful too
 12th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I went online to pay my chase bill. I made a payment for 100.00. I decided to check my activity history (something i never do) When i checked I found a charge on 02/07/09 that was posted to my account on 02/08/09 from WMV*MATCH.COM in the amoutn of 59.67!!! WTF?!?! I dont even know what that is. and i made no such charges. I called my bank that instant. They didnt hold me responsible for the charge and told me they would issue me a new card. but im upset. The Fact that someone stole from me makes me feel as though it can happen again. No matter how careful I am. This isnt right. I shoudlnt have to keep changing cards just because its getting harder to keep money from people who steal. I dont even make that much to begin with! freakin loosers! AND WHO EVER OUT THERE IS DOING THIS>>>>>YOU NEED TO STOP AND YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS.
 13th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Found a pending charge from these guys this morning for 35 dollars. Ran to the bank immediately (had to cash in my paycheck anyway) and had them shred my card and issue me a new one. My account is temporarily frozen to block the charge, but now it blocked my car insurance company's automatic withdrawal. Now I have to call them and explain. Luckily the people at the bank rock and said they'd fax them to vouch for me. What's the deal? Who the gently caress are these people?
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
match.com just charged my card $129 without authorization and WILL NOT REFUND IT. What is wrong with this company????
 12th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I am in GA and just noticed a charge on my debit card for $34.99 for wmv match.com. Of course I didn't authorize this. Luckily I work in the payment card industry so I knew exactly what to do. Cancel my card immediately and not waste time trying to get an explanation from the company. I train people on card fraud prevention for a living and it happens to me! Just goes to show you can never truly be safe. Visa and Mastercard back the banking industry on fraudulent charges so you will not be held responsible.

Match.com  Logo Match.com