Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters

Posted:

Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

4.55
I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.
Complaint comments Comments (269) Complaint country United States Complaint category Home & Garden

Comments

7th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

A & E Factory Servce / Whirlpool - Complete absence of service
A & E Factory Servce / Whirlpool
Somerville
Alabama
www.aefactoryservice.com

I have now been waiting almost a month for a supposedly minor microwave oven repair. I have paid for service I have yet to receive and parts that I finally received but can’t do anything with.

14 July: My Whirlpool microwave broke. I called the number listed by Whirlpool and was connected to A&E Factory Service. I was told that the first available appointment was 24 July.

24 July (Tech ID#0890822): Tech showed up, said he didn’t really work on microwave ovens. However, he contacted the A&E home support and was walked through a form of diagnostic review to detail the problem, which was one of three switches. Since there was supposedly no way to tell which switch was the problem, he was going to replace all three . He said he didn’t have those parts in his truck and they would have to be ordered. He then told me “the damage” was $291.00. I was stunned at the amount and said I needed to contact my husband to make sure we could do it. He said a $65.00 required trip fee I had to pay for his presence would be deducted from the final total. He then expected me to pay the remainder for the repairs... before any service had been accomplished or parts had been ordered! I was unable to reach my husband before the Tech left, so the Tech told me I owed a $65.00 trip charge and to schedule the appointment through the 1-800 number. Then he left. I basically paid him $65.00 to show up at my house, take my microwave cover off and leave.

24 July: I contacted “customer service” to schedule an appointment to fix the problem, but was told they could do nothing until the next day.

25 July: I contacted Customer Service again. I told them I had not been able to set up an appointment while the Tech was at my house and had not been able to schedule anything at all the previous day. The female I spoke with pulled up my account, said she saw the parts and was ordering them. She told me the next available appointment was 31 July. I accepted yet another date.

31 Jul (Tech ID #0803122): At 1153, a service tech showed up. I thought this was to finally fix the microwave. However, he had no parts and after I explained that he was in fact the second tech to appear at my house, he contacted his office to find out the status of the parts. After this call, he told me the parts had never been ordered. I told him the customer service person I spoke with on 25 July said she had ordered them while we were on the phone! He said he would order them immediately, but told me I had to pay a $65.00 trip charge before it would let him. I told him I had already paid one trip charge and would not pay it a second time. I had been told by the customer service rep I spoke with on 25 July, the initial $65.00 applied to any service calls made for the same problem within 30 days. He said he was unaware of that policy. After a number of calls to his office, he finally bypassed that in the computer. He then ordered the parts and told me I had to pay for them then to actual schedule the repair. I now paid an additional $106.94 for service and parts not yet received.

7 Aug: At 0935, I received a call from Ms. Morales, who told me my appointment had been canceled because I had not notified the company I had received the parts at my home. She said they were delivered on Monday--if her system told her the parts were delivered, why was I canceled for not notifying them they had arrived? I told her this was completely unsatisfactory. She suggested I contact the Rescheduling/Routing Department to see if they could schedule me in... for an appointment I supposedly already had! I contacted the 1-800 number and asked to speak with the manager. I spoke with Veronica, claiming to be management for the Call Center. I told her the problem and that I expected service today, as I had been promised. She said she couldn’t do anything about the schedule; however, she would contact the Routing Office. She did this, then told me “Sorry, the routing office says it can’t fit you in today. The soonest we can schedule a tech at your house is 11 August.” I told her that was unacceptable and that I expected service today as I had been waiting over four weeks for the repair already. She again said sorry, the best they could do was to call me if something opened up on today’s route. At that point, I explained that if a tech was not at my house and my microwave not fixed today I would be contacting the main office. She provided me with the name of the CEO, Dale Reader, and an address to which I could send the letter.
 10th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - not cooling
India
whirlpoolindia.com

The telephone no provided in the service manual are not working my fridge is not cooling so kindly send the conserned personto rectefi the problem.
 18th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
I just spent two days learning about and fixing my Whirlpool flamelock hot water heater. I bought it at Lowe's in 7/05 and it failed in 8/08. The problem with this unit is that it is overengineered. Instead of a simple pilot, thermostat, burner set up the flamelock has built in safety devices which fail regularly shutting down the unit.
Heat is the main culprit, the unit does best when sitting out in the middle of a basement and worst when shut in a small closet. The reason is a sensor which shuts off the pilot and burner if a certain temp. is reached. Once this happens it's not reversible and you have to install new parts. (The new models can be reset but only by calling up the manufacturer). Also there is a vent screen at the bottom of the unit and if it plugs with dirt or lint the unit quickly overheats and fails.
Lowe's has a free kit for the older models like mine which gives you a new thermocouple, pilot light and ignition starter. You have to get your model number off the unit and have proof of purchase, it is not very easy to install. I also got a new thermostat-gas valve for mine, cost $56 and now the unit is vertually a new one as the tank should last 15 yrs. or so.
 21st of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
On Sunday, Aug. 17 I purchased a Whirlpool hot water heater from a local Lows store. (model# sg1j5040t3nov). We had it professionally installed that day. That night and the following day we heard what sounded like explosions from the unit. After shutting down the unit, we had the installer come out again. He told us to contact the manufacturer. We did and they then called to arrange an appointment for a service tech visit. Upon his visit today, he reported a 7 second delay in the gas to ignition within the unit (which "scared" him), he called Whirlpool and they told him that the unit we bought had a "known issue" with the heater and a part would have to be ordered and installed. He told us not to use the unit, that it was extremely dangerous. So buying a $600 water heater could have killed my family? We're now without hot water until until this part is ordered and installed. I have two small children. Being without hot water is unacceptable and unsafe. But being sold an water heater with a "known" dangerous issue...that is criminal. How does a company allow a situation like this to continue?
 1st of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
This Company's products are just horrible.
 22nd of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
can any one mail me the customer care numberrrrrrrrrrrrr
 27th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
I work for a gas company and we service these Whirpool water heaters on a regular basis. The one design flaw of this water heater is that a fusible link(inside burner compartment) is used on the millivolt system to shut off burner & pilot in case of smothering burner. These sealed burner compartment water heaters have a secondary air opening at the bottom of the water heater so the flame has oxygen for ignition. The opening has a fine screen that is used to keep lint/dirt from entering burner compartment. As the air is pulled in by the burner the screen gets clogged with lint/dirt causing the burner flame to smother. The smothering flame then causes the fusible link to burn and break the connection to the millivolt system. Once the fusible link is burned it requires burner assembly to be dis-assembled and a new thermocouple installed(fusible link is apart of the thermocouple). The fix that whirpool has gets rid of the fusible link and replaces it with a flame-roll-out switch that is built into the assembly(you push a button to rest it if it trips). Under normal operation this switch should not trip but will trip if ignitable vapors(gasoline, paint thinner, ect) enter burner compartment or burner flame smothers. I have corrected many of the complaints of no hot water by simply using compressed air and a bottle brush to clean out the secondary air screen. So check those water heater compartments for the air screen and make sure they are clean. A dirty screen will cause the burner to smother and no hot water due to pilot outage.
 17th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

Brick Whirlpooltransglobal - washing machine repair
Brick transglobal whirlpol
Hamilton
Ontario
Canada

Washing machine broke in July 2008 . Several calls to the Brick and transglobal. Two visits from repairman who failed to order the parts.

Parts still not in October 17, 2008. Extended warranty - procey and useless.

Called the Brick who stated " we do no record compliants"
Transglobal staff do not follow up or return calls as promised with one exception back in August - still no results
 1st of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Non-functioning of Refrigerator since one month. My complain no is 6668 to your customer care. They agreed to serve by replacing compressor as it is under warany.

Now no body is reponding.

Pl. do somthing to resove my problem.
 4th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
HI
MY NAME IS CAROL I IAM WORKING WITH WHRIPOOL WATER HEATERS
IT WAS WRONG THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH FG WATER HEATER, THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM BEFORE BUT RIGHT NOW WE REDISGNED THE PART ( MANIFOLD DOOR ASSEMBLY)THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF PROBLEM, MANY COUSTMERS CALL US REGARDING LAWSUIT .LET ME BE CLEAR THAT LAWSUIT IS ON FG WATER HEATER NOT BFG, I READ THE COMMENTS ON OUR WATER HEATERS AND ITS WRONG THAT YOUR WATER HEATERS WILL NOT WORK FINE,
WE WILL TAKE MANY CALLS WHERE IN OUR COUSTMERS THANK US FOR GOOD WATER HEATERS & FOR GOOD SERVICE

IF THE COUSTMERS HAS AN PROBLEM THEY CAN CALL TO THIS NO 1-877-817-6750 .
 8th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I'm just adding my name to the list, but same as everyone else here.

I purchased two Whirlpool hot water heaters at the same time, and they have both acted the same way.

(1). Thermostat quickly becomes unable to regulate the water within ~5-10 degrees.
(2). One of the various poorly made "safety" shutoffs fails, costing hundreds to fix if you have it done (and Whirlpool seems to try to make it hard to fix it on your own because, unlike other water heaters of this type, the Whirlpool is difficult to disassemble, even to replace the thermo-couple).

These water heaters are really about the worst out there. I'd take a Sears hot water heater from the mid '80s over the cobbled together, safety crippled contraptions.
 10th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Do not buy these lemons, on my fitfh thermo coupler in 4 years, Lowes is the only retailer that carries this Whirlpool model and are nice as pie while listening to you complain as they sell you the parts to make it go for a year or less.The Lowes in Altoona only carries whirlpool heaters, You would think after all the complaints they would at least carry outher brands unless they are making a killing selling parts to their customers
 18th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
My now infamous Whirlpool hot water heater was purchased in May, 2008. and quit working last Saturday November 15, 2008. I called and they said thewy would ship me a part. I got tired of waiting, since its difficult to live in Anchorage Alaska with no hot water. I went to Lowes and got a kit. The thermocoulpe adapter does not thread into my gas control valve. I tried several kits and none worked. I threaded the thermocouople directly in and it seemed to work fine, that was last night. This morning I'm back to square 1 the pilot will not stay lit, no hot water again today. I want a new hot water heater and I think this product is a lemon . I have a plumber coming out today. I really want top scrap this piece of Junk but I've got well over 1, 000 invested now.
 18th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Lets go ahead and ad me to the list of unhappy customers here. I bought my Water Heater (WH) in March 2008 and on November 17, 2008 it quit working. I followed suit with everyone else and replaced the thermocouple and was able to get it to lite and heat the water for my first shower in three days. I checked the WH after my shower and it is doing the same thing as before, the pilot will not stay on. I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. I only wish I would have known about this crappy product and the class action lawsuit against whirlpool and lowes before purchasing the WH and installing it myself. I am now doing my homework upfront for a new WH, online. I will not spend another penny to fix this peice of crap. Go to www.waterheatersettlement.com to see the lawsuit results. What really makes me mad is Lowes is still selling the same model that I bought months ago and whirlpool is still making the crap. We consumers need to quit buying products from the retailers and manufacturers tha sell them. Good luck everybody.
 25th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I'm not sure how Carol, the Whirlpool rep. can type what she typed with a straight face. We purchased a BFG model Whirlpool Flamelock hot water heater at Lowe's in May of 2008. Fortunately, we have a friend who is a plumber so we didn't have to pay a fortune to have it installed. 6 months later, we have no hot water. My husband goes to the hot water heater and relights the pilot. That lasts for 2 days. We again lit the pilot. We got one tank of hot water then it went out again. We happened to have to have a furnace guy coming that day so we had him take a look. He went to Lowe's and was told that this fell under a class action lawsuit/recall. I got online and did the research I should have done before I bought the Whirlpool junk. I was stunned to find out that this has been going on for years. I printed out pages of this stuff and we went to Lowe's. The manager seemed to have no knowledge of this problem. I found that to be incredible because her employees in plumbing knew about it. They still sell the same model. She agreed to refund our money. Our plumber friend ripped out the junk and installed a different brand purchased at another store. We took the junk back to Lowe's and the manager said she'd made calls, and although she would stand by her promise, our hot water heater wasn't recalled. I will never shop at Lowe's again! How can they knowingly sell this crap? What else are they selling you that's dangerous and under a recall??? Don't buy Whirlpool and don't shop at Lowe's!!!
 4th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I purchased the Whirlpool model BFG 40 gallon hot water heater in February 2008 from our local Lowes store. The hot water heater has failed to get hot on a couple occassions in the past and we found that the pilot failed to ignite. The hot water heater failed again and when i talked with Lowes they will not take any responsibility for the failure and put me on to the customer service rep wtih Whirlpool. I explained that the technician that came to the house to fix this water heater says there is a major failure with the units. Of course when I asked the customer service rep at Whirlpool he has never heard of any issue but will be glad to send me a new gas valve complete with all the attachements. Something is wrong with a system that allows a manufacuturer to walk away from their responsibility and also the business that sell a unit less then 9 months ago. I had to install a new hot water heater to get my family back in to a normal life of having hot water. Lowes will not see any business for me and I will do my best to not use any item with the Whirlpool name in the future.
 9th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - costly repairs
whirlpool
Michigan

We purchaced a maytag neptune TL washer about 3 1/2 yrs ago. We spent about $1100 on this machine.In February of 2008 the clutch went out. When I contacted Maytag (which is owned by whirlpool) they stated the part was not covered. I had a repair company come to fix the repair. The cost was $471.79. 7 months later the same problem accured. When I contacted maytag/whirlpool they offered little help. 15% off new washer or 50% off the part (the part is only $160). The labor to fix this machine is very costly. I can not afford to put another $400 into this machine. Maytags keeps telling me that the machine is old and nothing else can be done. IT'S ONLY 4 YEARS OLD!!! Anyone looking to buy a new washer BEWARE OF MAYTAY/WHIRLPOOL .
 21st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Dear Friends, I just got of the phone with whirlpool (sunday PM) and they are sending me the motherboard for my machine for the second time. It's an electric hot water heater I bought at Lowes 2 years ago.
An error message on the energy smart controller told me to change the lower element. (It was the same last time )I changed the element again but I'm not sure that's what's wrong.
I am writing to tell you about a clever way to drain the tank. Build up in the bottom of the tank made it impossible to drain through the small opening provided. Stymied, I was out in the garage looking around for some tool to clear the opening. Spotted the bicycle pump and jet spray nozzle for the male hose end. The other end was hooked to the valve. I used a piece of plastic tubing to connect the bicycle pump ( I had to remove the air pump hose)to the hose and five pumps and I could hear air gurgling into the tank. Voila!
I never had to replace an element twice before the tank leaked but now I know how to drain the water tank.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
Add me to the list also. I had a BFG for a few months. Thermal coupler was the problem, I raised hell with lowes and they allowed me to return it. Actually the rep was there and authorized the return. Got a new BFG installed the thing and now for the last 2 weeks I have been having to reset the reset switch and relight the pilot light. I called the 800 number and was told the vent was dirty and needed to clean it as that was making the thermal coupler to trip. The 800 rep said she would send out a new manifold door and assembly next day. I did NOT have to pay shipping so we will see if it is on my door tomorrow. What a joke this WP water heater is.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
I bought a 50 gallon hotwater heater in 2003. I have replaced 5 thermacouples and after the class action suit, they sent me a maindoor assembly to replace. I have that and now I can get the heater to fire back up but it may go out once a twice a day. I never know if I will have hot water.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree