Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters

Posted:

Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

4.55
I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.

Complaint comments Comments (231) Complaint country United States Complaint category Home & Garden

Comments

25th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I'm not sure how Carol, the Whirlpool rep. can type what she typed with a straight face. We purchased a BFG model Whirlpool Flamelock hot water heater at Lowe's in May of 2008. Fortunately, we have a friend who is a plumber so we didn't have to pay a fortune to have it installed. 6 months later, we have no hot water. My husband goes to the hot water heater and relights the pilot. That lasts for 2 days. We again lit the pilot. We got one tank of hot water then it went out again. We happened to have to have a furnace guy coming that day so we had him take a look. He went to Lowe's and was told that this fell under a class action lawsuit/recall. I got online and did the research I should have done before I bought the Whirlpool junk. I was stunned to find out that this has been going on for years. I printed out pages of this stuff and we went to Lowe's. The manager seemed to have no knowledge of this problem. I found that to be incredible because her employees in plumbing knew about it. They still sell the same model. She agreed to refund our money. Our plumber friend ripped out the junk and installed a different brand purchased at another store. We took the junk back to Lowe's and the manager said she'd made calls, and although she would stand by her promise, our hot water heater wasn't recalled. I will never shop at Lowe's again! How can they knowingly sell this crap? What else are they selling you that's dangerous and under a recall??? Don't buy Whirlpool and don't shop at Lowe's!!!
 4th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I purchased the Whirlpool model BFG 40 gallon hot water heater in February 2008 from our local Lowes store. The hot water heater has failed to get hot on a couple occassions in the past and we found that the pilot failed to ignite. The hot water heater failed again and when i talked with Lowes they will not take any responsibility for the failure and put me on to the customer service rep wtih Whirlpool. I explained that the technician that came to the house to fix this water heater says there is a major failure with the units. Of course when I asked the customer service rep at Whirlpool he has never heard of any issue but will be glad to send me a new gas valve complete with all the attachements. Something is wrong with a system that allows a manufacuturer to walk away from their responsibility and also the business that sell a unit less then 9 months ago. I had to install a new hot water heater to get my family back in to a normal life of having hot water. Lowes will not see any business for me and I will do my best to not use any item with the Whirlpool name in the future.
 9th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - costly repairs
whirlpool
Michigan

We purchaced a maytag neptune TL washer about 3 1/2 yrs ago. We spent about $1100 on this machine.In February of 2008 the clutch went out. When I contacted Maytag (which is owned by whirlpool) they stated the part was not covered. I had a repair company come to fix the repair. The cost was $471.79. 7 months later the same problem accured. When I contacted maytag/whirlpool they offered little help. 15% off new washer or 50% off the part (the part is only $160). The labor to fix this machine is very costly. I can not afford to put another $400 into this machine. Maytags keeps telling me that the machine is old and nothing else can be done. IT'S ONLY 4 YEARS OLD!!! Anyone looking to buy a new washer BEWARE OF MAYTAY/WHIRLPOOL .
 21st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Dear Friends, I just got of the phone with whirlpool (sunday PM) and they are sending me the motherboard for my machine for the second time. It's an electric hot water heater I bought at Lowes 2 years ago.
An error message on the energy smart controller told me to change the lower element. (It was the same last time )I changed the element again but I'm not sure that's what's wrong.
I am writing to tell you about a clever way to drain the tank. Build up in the bottom of the tank made it impossible to drain through the small opening provided. Stymied, I was out in the garage looking around for some tool to clear the opening. Spotted the bicycle pump and jet spray nozzle for the male hose end. The other end was hooked to the valve. I used a piece of plastic tubing to connect the bicycle pump ( I had to remove the air pump hose)to the hose and five pumps and I could hear air gurgling into the tank. Voila!
I never had to replace an element twice before the tank leaked but now I know how to drain the water tank.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
Add me to the list also. I had a BFG for a few months. Thermal coupler was the problem, I raised hell with lowes and they allowed me to return it. Actually the rep was there and authorized the return. Got a new BFG installed the thing and now for the last 2 weeks I have been having to reset the reset switch and relight the pilot light. I called the 800 number and was told the vent was dirty and needed to clean it as that was making the thermal coupler to trip. The 800 rep said she would send out a new manifold door and assembly next day. I did NOT have to pay shipping so we will see if it is on my door tomorrow. What a joke this WP water heater is.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
I bought a 50 gallon hotwater heater in 2003. I have replaced 5 thermacouples and after the class action suit, they sent me a maindoor assembly to replace. I have that and now I can get the heater to fire back up but it may go out once a twice a day. I never know if I will have hot water.
 13th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I installed my Whirlpool BFG Flame Lock in April 2008. It stopped working in March 2009. I wish I had read all the complaints before deciding to purchase this. I was searching online for info regarding recalls and lawsuits. I did call the service number and they were VERY cooperative! They are sending out a technician to repair my water heater at no charge (the next day). There was even a special menu option for this water heater and web address. This made me think they KNOW there are major design problems with this and are trying to cover their ___! Lowe's should be ashamed for still selling these. They are just as responsible and if I still have problems after this, I will be going to Lowe's to get my money back. They are knowingly selling lemons!
 23rd of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
This W/H is a real nightmare but, the "customer nonservice it's even worst, since english is not my native language, I'm allways willing to be patient to people in the same situation but...the people who pick up my call were impossible to understand, I hang up and cal again hoping to find somebody that I can understand. Then I've tried to get Sears to give ne an estimate, oh my!!!htis is a wrong #, call this other #, 4times!!!, nobody was able to give me an estimate, their only answer was: $70 for svc. call plus watever the tech will find, there is nothing to find!!!, the troubleshoot was already made and the job is a very common one!!!, no way they want their money first and then the shake up, and of course the$70 do not go torch to the repair price, they are gone for good (their good), finally I was able to find a company in Upland, CA that knows the problem very well, told me about the class action lawsuit and they're sending a tech on the same day (today) will see what happens.
 31st of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Purchased a whirlpool electric hot water heater in 2007. Am having problems with what appears to be some white stuff that looks like crushed piping that is clogging the sinks and shower in the house. Has anyone had this experience? If so how to fix it?

PatS.
 9th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Whirlpool needs to change the name for crappool becuase that is what here products are crap Hot water water not even one year old. pilot light will not stay on this is bullshit.. I am reading storie of how bad the customer server is i don't want to talk to them. I give the bastard one chance to make it right if they don't good bye crappool hello Kenmore or some other brand beside whirlpool
 10th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrig Side By Side - Poor Customer Service
A&E Service Repair
North Carolina

Oh my!!! I wished I reviewed all these complaints before dealing with A&E service repair. NO CHANGE with their poor quality of repair. I am still waiting after a week. Called Whirlpool on Saturday because after 1 month owning this refrigerator the fan goes out. We lost all are food. Whirlpool representative sent us up with A&E on Tuesday between 8-5. Ha! That is all they can do. Ok. Monday 12:00 the service tech shows up. Very friendly guy. Looks in the refrigerator and agrees it is the fan. Ok he goes to his truck and returns 10 minutes later. We don't have the part but I just ordered it and it will be here tomorrow and I will come back out on Thursday to replace. Fine!! I need my refrig. Wednesday is here and I get a phone call about 1:00 from A&E we must reschedule your appt because your part is on back order and we do not know when we will get it. What the Hell!! I went off on the representative. He had the nerve to tell me that is just the way it is. Pissed me off!!! Called whirlpool and they said they could order the part and have if shipped the next day but I had to contact A&E again to schedule an appt. for them to install it because no other service tech that they use will touch it since A&E has already been here. Oh my!!! My blood was boiling. Still is!!! Ok that was Wednesday when I called, by 2:30 Thursday UPS delivered the part from Whirlpool. I called A&E to schedule the appointment. Guess what. They can't get out here until Monday between 8-5. Oh my. I will never deal with this company again. Oh, by the way they do not order their parts through Whirlpool it is through some other company. If you want Whirlpool parts you the customer has to call. I found that out through Whirlpool while I was raising hell. They STINK!!!
 15th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
You're an idiot, it's distributed from the Whirlpool Parts Distribution Plant in Plainfield, IN. A&E is ok in some areas, however overall they do suck, it doesn't seem like Whirlpool did anything wrong other than go with the available company in the area, they overnighted the part, you received it the NEXT day. If you want to file a complaint, file it against the correct company which would be A&E.
 29th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
We are on our second Whirlpool Hot water heater in 3 years . Both units being bought at Lowes. We do not know where to turn but this is getting really old. Customer service has sent us every part in the machine I think to be changed out. All to with no success.
 29th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Lets get down to business. The Whirlpool electric 50 gal. hot water heater sold by lowes is not made nor warrantied by whirlpool. It is a licensed product that means a maker gives whirlpool money to put the whirlpool label on it. The warranty is terrible and the service is terrible. I have had two appointed days between the hours of 8-5 which they have not come and on the third day they came at 4. They do cheap work like not emptying the tank but pulling out the element with lost water draining everywhere and than wiping up the old water but since that water travels down the inside wetting the insulation and soaking the inside metal eventually causing rust but dont worry it takes a little time and they wont take care of you. Make sure the item you buy is fully UL listed that the maker is the name brand and the warranty is fully effective throughout the course. Stay away from sears because that is who will be fixing your whirlpool items.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Why are they selling these pieces of crap in any legitimate store? Same problem, I bought one of these Whirlpool flame lock gas water heaters in 2004and it has cost me more in repairs the last three years than the original heater cost. I have had four service calls since having it put in to get the pilot light relit and hundreds of dollars out of pocket to do so.

Whirlpool's customer service is probably the worst I have ever encountered. After spending the last two days on the phone to India, plumbers in my area (south Jersey), and to company reps in Johnson City, Tenn, I can say with confidence that no one gives a crap about the problem. I was hung up on twice by the Johnson City contingent today, once by a woman who swore they had no problems with this unit and that I must be cleaning wrong to have the pilot keep blowing out. *(her name is Ruby by the way and she is an asshole) I have had the thermal coupling replaced after the lawsuit settled but I still had to pay for shipping and handling, the service call for the guy to come out and now I still have an unlit pilot light and no hot water for two days.

If this unit was so bad that the company settled a lawsuit instead of having it go to trial, then why are they still being sold with the same obvious problems. You would think Lowes would wake up and find another brand to sell.

I am now going to throw in the towel and buy a Bradford and White, as advised by my plumber who also advised me that they would not come out to fix these Whirlpool heaters as they are knowingly defective. All together, between the installation of the old water heater (close to $1, 000 between cost of the unit, the labor to put it in and the permits and inspections I had to pay to have it installed) another $500 in repairs since the installation and now having to purchase a new heater (going to have to shell out another $1, 000) I want to scream. I TELL ANYONE NOW, DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL AND IF YOU HAVE ONE, REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER WORK RIGHT.

And by the way, I read the post by the Whirlpool rep. She must be drinking the same koolaid as the rest of them in Tennessee because I called over 25 plumbers in my area to get this fixed and all of them told me the same thing, these units are a piece of shit and no one is going to help you get it fixed.

Thoroughly disgusted in New Jersey
 22nd of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Bought Whirlpool water heater from Lowes in '04. Have had nothing but problems. Called Sears for repair and was charged $128.00 to be told I needed to purchase a new water heater. Of course I went out & purchased a $450.00 Kenmore water heater. The plumber who came to install it today said it was under a Transaction Settlement and I could pay $20.00 for over night delivery of a thermal couple conversion kit. He was nice enough to go to his shop and install one he had in stock and I could send him the one I am receiving tomorrow. I do have hot water now but I don't know for how long according to the complaints I've been reading on this site. What irritates me is Sears has no records of this Transaction Settlement. So, they're technicians tell unsuspecting consumers to buy a new water heater. If not for this wonderful plumber I would've spent $200.00 installation for a water heater I didn't have to buy. My total out of pocket expense $683.00 including $105.00 I paid to my plumber today 6/22/09 (my birthday). I am going to take my 1st hot shower in 2 weeks & hopefully I wont have to boil water to take a luke warm/cold bath for awhile! And, I will get a refund Sears.
 1st of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - INVERTOR IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY
PSMC
India

WE HAVE RAISED OUR COMPLAIN NO: KL-0709011894 DT: 30.07.09 & AGAIN KL-0809000224 & KL-0809000225 FOR OUR INVERTER TOP COVER OF AC MACHINE WHICH HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED TILL NOW WITH COMPONENTS AND ALSO FOR INVERTER WHICH WAS PURCHASE JUST BEFOR 2 MONTHS. INVER TOR IS NOT WORKING AT THE TIME OF POWER CUT. BATTERY TERMINAL HAS NOT BEEN SUPPLIED TILL NOW. FACING LOT OF PROBLEMS. SERVICE CENTRE IS NOT TAKING ANY CARE. AFTER RAISED COMPLAINED, NOBODY VISIT AT OUR HOME TILL NOW.
D.PAUL
mOB: 9903721772
 8th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Duet Washing Maching - Repair Washing Maching
A&E Factory Service
Georgia

POOR Serivce - I am going on my 6th repair call for the same issue. The techs keep on coming but they seem to mess it up each time. Today, Saturday, I had a call to confirm my service appointment between 8-5pm but no one showed. Called company and they pretty much said oh well the service Techs were all booked up and will not make it today. ... They will have someone call you on Monday. The customer escalation team can't do anything, they can send emails to the service manager (which doesn't respond on Saturdays). When asked for a phone number of a supervisor or VP of customer service we were told they are too big of a company to give out those phone numbers. WHAT? are the talking about. They are too big to care that thier customers can't get satisfaction. Besides all the service calls they over charged us and we are still waiting for a refund.

CALL ANYONE BUT A&E.
 27th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
i am currently on my second piece of crap water heater from Lowes/Whirlpool. 8 months ago, my 6 month old WH stopped working. lomg story short, after 4 days, 3 repairs, and a dozen furious phone calls to Lowes, and Whirlpool, Lowes replaced my water heater WITH ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER. now here i am, 8 months later, with cold water AGAIN. i REFUSE to have a whirlpool product in my house. i am going to HOME DEPOT today to but a new water heater, and am filing suit against Whirlpool and Lowes. i am also contacting my local consumer reporter here in Columbus, and will take this as far as i have to to get my money back from this dishonest company.
 17th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - semi functioning
refridgerator
India

dear sir, I would like draw attention towards the poor services the whirpool india. we are having 260 ltr fridge whose compreesor got failed. then it was repaired by company service man and for that charged Rs.1400.00 . within a few days my fridge again getting some problem i.e. slow cooling and functioning at 25% efficiency which service man agreed .he said that he forgot to repair that thing previosly so now he had repair it again and willbe charged again i.e. refilling gas charges. 2 times gas filling within a month is a juistice please help. -SAGAR MAHESHWARI my cell 98292-30154 . land line 02908230154. my adress - station road amet-313332 om

Whirlpool Logo Whirlpool