logo

ACK Group
Fake Job Consultancy
3. (32 mins ago)
Devine Devons
Devon rex terminally ill kitty
4. (44 mins ago)
Gas Not Available

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters Complaints & Reviews - Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

Whirlpool Contacts & Informations

Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters

Posted:    Valerie

Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Feb, 2010 by   LAcounsel100 0 Votes
I am an attorney investigating problems with Whirlpool hot water heaters. If you wish to discuss your problem, please contact me at LAcounsel100@gmail.com
 16th of Feb, 2010 by   pietro169 0 Votes
I to have recently gone through the horrendous experience known as the Whirlpooh hot water tank disaster. I purchased my 50 gallon flame lock Whirlpooh hot water tank in June 2005. I purchaesd the hot water tank based on the premise that Whirlpooh is a well respected company that will honor its products warranty should its product fail. Wow how wrong that statement is from being truthful. I am one of the lucky ones as my "hot" water tank almost lasted 5 whole years. It started as routine with the pilot light going out and not restarting with the attached igniter. Plumber was called, ignitor was replaced, and $119.00 spent. Less then 24 hours later the pilot went out again. This time, not knowing about the 2005 class action lawsuit against Whirlpooh, I called Whirlpooh, Spoke with "Sam", and before I could even finish my story with him I was informed that the burner assembly and thermocuplar were bad, needed replaced, and would be sent next day air to me free of charge. I thought that was really strange but I went with it. Plumber was called, components were installed, and $96.00 was spent. Less then 3 hours later the pilot went out again. This time it was the result of the plumber not taking the 'orifice' off the old burner assembly and connecting it to the new burner assembly. The plumber told me that in the 40 years that he has been in business he has never heard of a situation where the old components parts were needed for the new assembly. Didn't have to spend money this time but still haven't had hot water for 5 days and have missed two days of work. Less then 6 hours later the pilot was out again. Called Whirlpooh, spoke with "Chris, " and this time was told that the gas control valve needed to be replaced. After an intense discussion "Chris" agreed to send the part for free next day air. Plumber was called, component was installed, and $96.00 was spent. After 8 days of no hot water, $311.00 in plumbe r bills, and 3 days of missed work my family was able to finally take a hot shower. We'll see if it is still working when I get home from work. I will never EVER buy another Whirlpool appliance as long as I live. After all the years of having to deal with this issue I can't understand why a full recall was never done?
 19th of Feb, 2010 by   hot water trouble 0 Votes
well here we go again. I purchased a whirlpool water heater from Lowe' s. I am just starting my no hot water problems. I called a number that I found online after reading all the posts. Once again no help the customer service rep wanted me to troubleshoot over the phone with her.excuse me I don't know anything about gas waterheaters. So I had my husband call back when he got home for work. They gave him the runaround, he had to call them four times, and still no help. So I called and had to demand that they send me the part. Finally he said he would send me a gas vaulve and it would be here sat. Today is thursday. After reading all of the posts I am just going to buy a new water heater and not from Lowe's. I will never have or buy another product from Lowe's or from whirlpool. I don't understand how a company that makes millions of dollars a year in profit could treat their customers so bad. When you make a defected product you should own up to it aplogize for it and make it right. My friends and family will never buy anthing from lowe's again.

Bible lesson 101 all of you who had the chance to make it right and didn't will reap what you sew
 22nd of Feb, 2010 by   glmori 0 Votes
I also wish I had done some research concerning Whirlpool water heaters. Bought mine from Lowes in July 08. Yesterday pilot went out and reset one time and ran for about 1 hour and now will not stay lit. Just got off the phone with someone in India and they said they are sending a new right hand thread thermocouple. They will try to make you pay shipping; do not agreee to this. Demand that they send you the part and they will back down and say that they will send it for free this one time. Of course I still have to wait to see if I actually get the part or not. I too find it hard to believe that Lowes is still selling such an inferior product.
 22nd of Feb, 2010 by   JustSaying 0 Votes
You people do realize that this is made in Mexico...
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   I have hot water again 0 Votes
YOU HAVE TO CALL WHIRLPOOL AND GET SO MAD THAT THEY GET SICK OF YOU YELLING THEN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REP WILL GIVE YOU A AUTHORIZATION NUMBER TO GIVE TO LOWES TO GET A NEWER VERSION OF THAT WHIRLPOOL MESS. BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE OLD WATER HEATER AND TAKE IT TO LOWES WITH YOU AND THEN THEY WILL GIVE YOU A NEW ONE. THEY SAID THE PROBLEM WAS CORRECTED IN THE NEWER 2009 OR 2010 MODEL. OH YEAH AS SOON AS THEY GIVE YOU A AUTHORAZATION NUMBER THEY HANG UP ON YOU DON'T FORGET YOU HAVE TO GET VERY UPSET. ONE MORE THING IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT PART THEY SEND YOU IT WILL NOT WORK. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. I REALLY HOPES THIS HELPS ALL OF YOU OUT THERE.
 17th of Mar, 2010 by   LenF 0 Votes
After reading all these compaints - NO WHIRLPOOL water heater for me. Will go with GE enstead.
 3rd of Jun, 2010 by   plumber john 0 Votes
All those people who are going to change to a GE water heater better think again!!! Both heaters are made by the same company.
 27th of Jun, 2010 by   handy_noob 0 Votes
We bought this Whirlpool BFG gas model from Lowe's on May 14, 2010 and had the pilot light go out yesterday. That's a grand total of 43 days in service.
I called the number on the heater and spoke to a lady who registered it (we hadn't even done that yet) and then gave me the number of Sears repair and a case #. At least I think it's a case number, it may be a warranty order. in any case...
I went online and found this thread, called Lowe's and asked about the return policy (I'll drain it and bring it back right now). After explaining my problem and this thread he said Lowe's (at least that store) hadn't sold that particular model in years (I assume 1.5 is plural years) and that it was definitely not one of "those" but that thermocouple's aren't made with copper anymore and basically suck. I said "even after less than 2 months?" and he said "it could burn out the next day".

I had opened mine up and it looks like it's zinc inside, so his statement about no copper lends some credence in my mind. Maybe it's tin, I don't know, but he said it could burn out and you'd never know (I had asked if I should see scorch marks or something, he said not necessarily).

So Sears is coming tomorrow and I won't be paying a dime, other than my time to wait for them. I'll update when it's over.
 30th of Jun, 2010 by   handy_noob 0 Votes
Well, the saga was even more epic that I had thought. Sears repairman got here about 1:30, though to be fair he called at 11:40 to say he would be late, and said "this is the wrong water heater". Um, huh?

Turns out it was a natural gas heater and we're on propane. Called Lowes and asked if they sold conversion kits and they said no. Wondered if we already had one since I know the dryer conversions are basically a little doohicky inside the supply line (did one of those a few years back). He said no, that it would be very obvious on the control valve. no question our heater was ng.

So we drained it.
And took it back to exchange. I must say all in all the exchange went ok. It got dicey for a minute when the manager said we needed a return authorization from Whirlpool until I explained that we bought it last month. He said "oh, you have the receipt?". Yep, return complete. new heater purchased.

Sure enough there's a very big difference in look between ng and propane. no question. Got the heater installed and took a hot shower that night.

I can't say much for the heater itself, only been 2 days, but the process, while a pain in the arse, was pretty much without speed bump. Right now I have hot water, that's all I was looking for.
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   James Hunt 0 Votes
Bought two Whirlpool water heaters in 2008 [ just because they were on sale ] to replace the two old ones in rental property . One worked fine and still works fine, the other kept burning out thermocoulpler, because the flame was to big . After about three times I get ahols of consumer service, and they sent new parts, totally all new parts . Tells me I need to keep the old orifice to put in new parts, guess what !!! The original water heater had no orifice to begin with, thats why my flame was so big . I am having same problem as everyone else no help this time around from Whirlpool.
 14th of Aug, 2010 by   asilvers1 0 Votes
The gas Whirlpool water heater we bought at Lowes 4 years ago started leaking from the bottom. I called the toll free # listed on the unit (877-817-6750) today (Saturday), spoke to someone (within US) and was given an RA# all within 3min (because I had registered serial # previously).
Unhappy with product reliability, but very happy with Whirlpool customer service.
 19th of Dec, 2010 by   Kevin Karr 0 Votes
I have two of those flame lock water heaters from Whirlpool in each side of a duplex. Both water heater tanks leaked within the warranty. When the first one leaked Whirlpool replaced it free of charge through Lowes. When the second one started leaking Whirlpool did not want to replace it under warranty. I took it back to Lowes and they gave me a new one free of charge. The employees informed me they have had nothing but problems with Whirlpool water heaters. I am now having problems keeping the pilot light lit on one of them. The pilot light kept going out. I called Whirlpool and they sent me an upgrade kit for the pilot light assembly. I installed it myself. Whirlpool will not pay for labor. This still did not solve the problem. Whirlpool now says it may be a bad gas valve on the water heater. They informed me that I will have to pay for shipping and they also will not pay for labor to install the new gas valve. I realize I will have to drain water heater to replace gas valve and more than likely it is full of sediment. Of course I paid extra for this particular water heater because whirpool claimed this design limited sediment. This feature does not work. I have had other brands of water heaters and I have never had these problems. I think It is time to give up on Whirlpool water heaters.
 24th of Dec, 2010 by   Rjaksch 0 Votes
we purchased a 40 gal Energy Smart whirlpool water heater in 7-2009 now here it is 12-2010 and have been without hot water for a week. Sent me both the temp sensors and a new control board and Still no hot water. and i still cant return the peice of junk for a new one. Even their customer support people on the phone said this isnt the first time they have seen this and after a week with 3 kids with no hot water its safe to say i will never buy another whirlpool product again. my 12 yr warranty its pretty much worthless.
 23rd of Jan, 2011 by   cherbird36 0 Votes
We have had a Whirlpool water heater for 2 1/2 years now and I could have purchased a NEW water tank with the money we have spent replacing thermocouplers!! Whirlpool customer service is the worst...I will never again purchase anything Whirlpool or possibly anything from Lowe's as it appears they sell JUNK!! SOOO tired of not having hot water when it is time to shower, wash dishes, or clothes... NEVER NEVER AGAIN Whirlpool!!
 14th of Feb, 2011 by   MTittle 0 Votes
electric hot water heater here... plumbers had to install a motherboard for the second time three days ago (1 yr apart- last one fried- literally)... and now back today cause after two days of working, it stopped working...so far 3 plumbers are here trying to figure out what the crap is wrong. (smart energy is not very smart on these things)..if the main control box doesnt work, what good is it.
 7th of Jun, 2011 by   heather222 0 Votes
Well...glad I read this...to save me the trouble of going downstairs and lying on the floor to try and fix ours after we put the replacement part in that Whirlpool sent us and it didn't stay lit...and to save my husband the trouble of thinking he did something wrong...we'll go buy a new one.
 1st of Dec, 2011 by   Kzar 0 Votes
I bought mine 3 years ago. Had a part replace, cause it stop heating water. Now it's making a scary humming sound. Talking about peace of mind. This product really sucks. I am thinking of replacing it. No more whirlpool for me.
 11th of Dec, 2011 by   kenneth donaldson 0 Votes
l have just bought a 40 gal. hot water heater and like my old one the hot water stinks awful.l took the electrolis rod out of my old heater and it rusted out in two years.but the water didn't stink.the cold water does not stink, just the hot!! My heater is a whirlpool electric.What can l do to get rid of this awful hot water smell?l have hard water from my own well.So l have water softener.What can be done to get better hot water without removing the electrolis rod?Please help
kd.donaldson9@gmail.com
 11th of Dec, 2011 by   King James I 0 Votes
Your posting has been received and will be published online after quick review by the editors.

Fight Against Healthcare Insurance Fraud