Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters

Posted:

Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

4.55
I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.

Complaint comments Comments (231) Complaint country United States Complaint category Home & Garden

Comments

28th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I bought a new whirpool water heater at lowes back in 2003 or so and had constant problems with the thermocouple as well, I must have replaced it like 12 times over a 4 year period, luckily i was able to do it myself, but being without hot water with young kids is a real pain, finally gave up on it when it went out during xmas 2006 and replaced it with a bosch tankless water heater also from lowes, and thats been another problem as well, I will be submitting by claim with the class action suit hopefully I'll qualify for the $30.00 for two thermocouples and the $150.00 because I replaced the water heater.

Good luck to you all.
 3rd of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Bought flareguard tank end of 2005. pilot light would not stay on. returned product the following day to lowes, got another one. Installed worked well for a few days. After that pilot light would go out for no reason every so often. We would relight and would be fine. Pain in the butt but we delt with it. Finally last week came home from work and no hot water, relite tank, stayed on for 2 minutes and went out. relite to pilot, went out after 2 more minutes, repeated 3 tims, same thing happened. Called whirlpool, after sitting on hold for at least 35 minutes got someone on the phone. stated that we needed a new manifold thermocouple assembly. Would ship for free, 3-5 day shipping, that was not good enough. I had to pay $19.08 for next day shipping. received part yesterday. Had a plumber put it in, trouble shooted after it was installed and pilot would still not stay lite. Seemed to be a bad gass valve. Called whirlpool again... another 35-45 minute on the phone. Was informed that it was not the gas valve, it was probably that the thermocouple was not pushed in tight enough. Had to rip the thing apart ourselved, and discovered that the double sided nut that is the orifice was not on the assempbly they had sent which is why it would not stay lite. Called back of course they were closed. Had to wait until this morning, called back and spoke with rep. She stated the old orifice should come off the old unit... which it does not!!! it is so tight it wil not move. They have to send another orifice out... but this is Saturday and I will not get it until Tuesday and we still have to pray this solves the problem.. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT OF ANY KIND!!! will try to get them to authorize us to return it and get some of our money back and buy a different brand.
 13th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am having a very bad experience with a whirlpool hot water heater. No hot water for over a week, poor, uninformed, insensitive and unintelligible responses from the customer call center and calloused responses from Sears that displaying a total lack of urgency. Additional concerns are that I am being charged for delivery of parts and labor costs. I purchased the water heater 5 months ago.
 26th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrigerator - Deficiency in service
Whirlpool
B21 Hill Mist Garden,Kondwa ,Pune48
Pune
Illinois
Phone: 9922620123

Refrigerator is giving out an alarm every 2 mins. The service peson came and switched off the refrigerator light and asked us to put it on after 3 hrs and cllected service charges of rs.300.However to our horror the alarm keeps buzzing loudly every 2 mins as before .When contacted again we are told that the mother board has to be replaced and the part is unavailable and will arrive from Bombay in 4 days time. Now more than 2 weeks have passed but there is no sign of anyone from the company which gives elusive replies. Wish to take this up with the Consumers forum.
 26th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I HAVE PURCHASED 1- NO WHIRLPOOR W/M SUPER SOAK(3339) FROM NEAREST DEALER IN BANGALORE ON 23.05.2008, TILL DATE NOBODY VISITED TO OUR HOUSE FOR DEMONSTRATION OF WASHING MACHINE. PLEASE CONFIRM HOWMANY DAYS REQUIRED FOR DEMONSTRATION OF WASHING MACHINE.REGARDS.

P.VENKATESHA
HMT LIMITED, BANGALORE
PH:65982264 (RES)
PH:66626912 & 6913
 14th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
In my house in Atlanta some Kenmore appliances failed. When the repair company came out they told me these appliances were actually made by Whirlpool and had high failure rates.

Now in my ochester home the 2nd Whirlpool hot water heater in 6 months has failed. No empathy or cooperation from Whirlpool. No local parts availablity and no one willing to expidite shipment. It will be 6 days without hot water from a product still underwarranty, only 6 months old and neither Whirlpool nor the home improvement store it was purchased from is willing to accomodate a 'valued' customer.
 1st of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool / Refrigerator Elite250 - Compressor is not replaced for last 15 days
Whirlpool
www.whirlpool.com

I had registered a complaint at whirlpool customer care on 14th June 2008 that, the Elite250 refrigerator which I own from 2004 is not cooling. The service engineer came on 17th June 2008 and checked that the compressor had stop functioning. The compressor had to be replaced. No one followed up with me till on 25th June 2008 I called the customer care (???) I got an answer that the coming Sat 28th June is scheduled for the replacement. On Sat know one called / showed up... hence again I called up customer care (as they call it)... After yelling and shouting the person at call center made someone from service center call me. The person assured that Monday (30th June) things will be done as compressor is not available. Today I have made several calls to customer care (@#$@) and also called service center. Till now no reply. Hence making this complaint.
 6th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am planning to purchase a 450 ltr whirlpool refrig, but having second thoughts. I own a Elec-Kelvinator fridge. Pl advise
 10th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - not cooling
whirlpoolindia.com

The telephone no provided in the service manual are not working my fridge is not cooling so kindly send the conserned personto rectefi the problem.
 18th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
I just spent two days learning about and fixing my Whirlpool flamelock hot water heater. I bought it at Lowe's in 7/05 and it failed in 8/08. The problem with this unit is that it is overengineered. Instead of a simple pilot, thermostat, burner set up the flamelock has built in safety devices which fail regularly shutting down the unit.
Heat is the main culprit, the unit does best when sitting out in the middle of a basement and worst when shut in a small closet. The reason is a sensor which shuts off the pilot and burner if a certain temp. is reached. Once this happens it's not reversible and you have to install new parts. (The new models can be reset but only by calling up the manufacturer). Also there is a vent screen at the bottom of the unit and if it plugs with dirt or lint the unit quickly overheats and fails.
Lowe's has a free kit for the older models like mine which gives you a new thermocouple, pilot light and ignition starter. You have to get your model number off the unit and have proof of purchase, it is not very easy to install. I also got a new thermostat-gas valve for mine, cost $56 and now the unit is vertually a new one as the tank should last 15 yrs. or so.
 21st of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
On Sunday, Aug. 17 I purchased a Whirlpool hot water heater from a local Lows store. (model# sg1j5040t3nov). We had it professionally installed that day. That night and the following day we heard what sounded like explosions from the unit. After shutting down the unit, we had the installer come out again. He told us to contact the manufacturer. We did and they then called to arrange an appointment for a service tech visit. Upon his visit today, he reported a 7 second delay in the gas to ignition within the unit (which "scared" him), he called Whirlpool and they told him that the unit we bought had a "known issue" with the heater and a part would have to be ordered and installed. He told us not to use the unit, that it was extremely dangerous. So buying a $600 water heater could have killed my family? We're now without hot water until until this part is ordered and installed. I have two small children. Being without hot water is unacceptable and unsafe. But being sold an water heater with a "known" dangerous issue...that is criminal. How does a company allow a situation like this to continue?
 1st of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
This Company's products are just horrible.
 27th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
I work for a gas company and we service these Whirpool water heaters on a regular basis. The one design flaw of this water heater is that a fusible link(inside burner compartment) is used on the millivolt system to shut off burner & pilot in case of smothering burner. These sealed burner compartment water heaters have a secondary air opening at the bottom of the water heater so the flame has oxygen for ignition. The opening has a fine screen that is used to keep lint/dirt from entering burner compartment. As the air is pulled in by the burner the screen gets clogged with lint/dirt causing the burner flame to smother. The smothering flame then causes the fusible link to burn and break the connection to the millivolt system. Once the fusible link is burned it requires burner assembly to be dis-assembled and a new thermocouple installed(fusible link is apart of the thermocouple). The fix that whirpool has gets rid of the fusible link and replaces it with a flame-roll-out switch that is built into the assembly(you push a button to rest it if it trips). Under normal operation this switch should not trip but will trip if ignitable vapors(gasoline, paint thinner, ect) enter burner compartment or burner flame smothers. I have corrected many of the complaints of no hot water by simply using compressed air and a bottle brush to clean out the secondary air screen. So check those water heater compartments for the air screen and make sure they are clean. A dirty screen will cause the burner to smother and no hot water due to pilot outage.
 17th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

Brick Whirlpooltransglobal - washing machine repair
Brick transglobal whirlpol
Hamilton
Ontario
Canada

Washing machine broke in July 2008 . Several calls to the Brick and transglobal. Two visits from repairman who failed to order the parts.

Parts still not in October 17, 2008. Extended warranty - procey and useless.

Called the Brick who stated " we do no record compliants"
Transglobal staff do not follow up or return calls as promised with one exception back in August - still no results
 1st of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Non-functioning of Refrigerator since one month. My complain no is 6668 to your customer care. They agreed to serve by replacing compressor as it is under warany.

Now no body is reponding.

Pl. do somthing to resove my problem.
 4th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
HI
MY NAME IS CAROL I IAM WORKING WITH WHRIPOOL WATER HEATERS
IT WAS WRONG THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH FG WATER HEATER, THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM BEFORE BUT RIGHT NOW WE REDISGNED THE PART ( MANIFOLD DOOR ASSEMBLY)THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF PROBLEM, MANY COUSTMERS CALL US REGARDING LAWSUIT .LET ME BE CLEAR THAT LAWSUIT IS ON FG WATER HEATER NOT BFG, I READ THE COMMENTS ON OUR WATER HEATERS AND ITS WRONG THAT YOUR WATER HEATERS WILL NOT WORK FINE,
WE WILL TAKE MANY CALLS WHERE IN OUR COUSTMERS THANK US FOR GOOD WATER HEATERS & FOR GOOD SERVICE

IF THE COUSTMERS HAS AN PROBLEM THEY CAN CALL TO THIS NO 1-877-817-6750 .
 8th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I'm just adding my name to the list, but same as everyone else here.

I purchased two Whirlpool hot water heaters at the same time, and they have both acted the same way.

(1). Thermostat quickly becomes unable to regulate the water within ~5-10 degrees.
(2). One of the various poorly made "safety" shutoffs fails, costing hundreds to fix if you have it done (and Whirlpool seems to try to make it hard to fix it on your own because, unlike other water heaters of this type, the Whirlpool is difficult to disassemble, even to replace the thermo-couple).

These water heaters are really about the worst out there. I'd take a Sears hot water heater from the mid '80s over the cobbled together, safety crippled contraptions.
 10th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Do not buy these lemons, on my fitfh thermo coupler in 4 years, Lowes is the only retailer that carries this Whirlpool model and are nice as pie while listening to you complain as they sell you the parts to make it go for a year or less.The Lowes in Altoona only carries whirlpool heaters, You would think after all the complaints they would at least carry outher brands unless they are making a killing selling parts to their customers
 18th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
My now infamous Whirlpool hot water heater was purchased in May, 2008. and quit working last Saturday November 15, 2008. I called and they said thewy would ship me a part. I got tired of waiting, since its difficult to live in Anchorage Alaska with no hot water. I went to Lowes and got a kit. The thermocoulpe adapter does not thread into my gas control valve. I tried several kits and none worked. I threaded the thermocouople directly in and it seemed to work fine, that was last night. This morning I'm back to square 1 the pilot will not stay lit, no hot water again today. I want a new hot water heater and I think this product is a lemon . I have a plumber coming out today. I really want top scrap this piece of Junk but I've got well over 1, 000 invested now.
 18th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Lets go ahead and ad me to the list of unhappy customers here. I bought my Water Heater (WH) in March 2008 and on November 17, 2008 it quit working. I followed suit with everyone else and replaced the thermocouple and was able to get it to lite and heat the water for my first shower in three days. I checked the WH after my shower and it is doing the same thing as before, the pilot will not stay on. I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. I only wish I would have known about this crappy product and the class action lawsuit against whirlpool and lowes before purchasing the WH and installing it myself. I am now doing my homework upfront for a new WH, online. I will not spend another penny to fix this peice of crap. Go to www.waterheatersettlement.com to see the lawsuit results. What really makes me mad is Lowes is still selling the same model that I bought months ago and whirlpool is still making the crap. We consumers need to quit buying products from the retailers and manufacturers tha sell them. Good luck everybody.

Whirlpool Logo Whirlpool