Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters

Posted:

Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

4.55
I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.
Complaint comments Comments (269) Complaint country United States Complaint category Home & Garden

Comments

18th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I agree 100% to statment RE: WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER "Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks".
 19th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
This is really more of a response to 'Shawn' the Whirlpool defender - dude, YOUR PRODUCT IS STILL CRAP!

I bought a brand new, 50-gallon, 12-year, 'top of the line' Whirlpool water heater from Lowe's, about 2 months ago. It died. I took it back to Lowe's two days ago; they were honorable, and gave me a new one.

People! Pay attention! Here's how bad Whirlpool has gotten. We cut the box open on the new one, and the 'Whirlpool' sticker is crooked. They can't even put a sticker on correctly! How the heck can they tell me with a straight face that the parts that shoot flames are correctly installed?? Foolishly, we installed it anyway.

Discovering we once again had no hot water, I knew something was wrong. The pilot had gone out. I re-lit it, and watched for a while. About 2 minutes into the heating cycle, sparks started coming up off of the burner. No, it is not 'normal condensation'. (side note, shouldn't it keep the bottom of the tank area warm enogh to avoid condensation buildup??) I was a welder for 17 years, I know sparks. It is not normal.

Bottom line, I cannot wait to rid myself of this brand once and for all. Shawn, you should go to work for a reputable company. Enron maybe.
 21st of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - They just don't seem to care
www.whirlpool.com

We received a defective cook top. Flames shooting out at every angle. I escaped being caught on fire by inches. Whirlpool refuse to replace it, claiming that they will have someone repair it. After 5 attempts to repair it, it still is not fixed. They just don't seem to care. They send a so called technician who has no idea what he is doing. We are now waiting for another part that was to be overnight to us this was 7 days ago. I guess if I suffered 3 rd degree burns they may have replaced it.

Still waiting.
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - Terrible experience!
Phone: 1-866-698-2538
www.whirlpool.com

I purchased a new washer and dryer set from The Home Depot online store homedepot.com on March 18th, 2008. Delivery was taken on March 22, 2008. I did not use them right away since I did all my laundry with my old set prior to taking delivery on the new set. I sold the old ones when the new ones arrived. On April 6, 2008, I did some laundry and on the 3rd load to be put in to the dryer, it died. The control panel flashed odd, unknown characters, and all the machine did was to *click* when I pressed the start button.

I called the number on the website, homedepot.com, and they told me that they would NOT exchange it and that I had to call the manufacturer. I have had this machine for less than a month, used it only 2 times (the 3rd time was a mere attempt) and I have to call the manufacturer? I didn't buy it from the manufacturer, I bought it from Home Depot. Or so I thought...

Apparently, Home Depot's online sales are drop shipped from the manufacturer and any problems have to be taken up with the manufacturer but it doesn't say that on their site. You have 48 hours to return a major appliance (legally, you have 72 hours to reconsider a purchase and negate it). After the 48 hour cutoff, the site says to go to your local store. The local store says that they won't do anything about it because it was purchased online. NICE. Let the games begin.

So, on to the manufacturer. They don't take ANYTHING back unless and until, it is deemed defective by a *certified* repair person. It gets better. The first service appointment was a week after the call to report the problem. Laundry is piling up. Service man comes in and diagnoses the problem as a blown mother board and has to order the part that takes 7-10 days to come in. Unacceptable, but I have no choice.

The next appointment is set for the following Tuesday but I have to call them when the part gets to my home to let them know that it's here. I call on Monday to let them know and they informed me that 2 parts were ordered and that they would not come until the second part arrived. Tuesday's appointment was canceled. The part arrived Wednesday and the service person came on Thursday, installed the parts and informed me that he had to order yet another part because it was still not working. Laundry is still piling up. I am now BUYING socks and underwear for my husband to be able to go to work. His clothes will run out soon.

Tomorrow, 4/22/08, will be one month that I have had this dryer that I have used exactly 2 times before it died 2 weeks ago. Whirlpool, the manufacturer, has ever so graciously offered me $50 lousy bucks for my trouble. The woman that I spoke to on the phone told me that when they take something back, it gets scrapped, not reconditioned and re-sold, so that's why they try to repair the item first. But how many times? And why do I have to suffer, going to the laundromat (which I did yesterday) when I have BRAND NEW laundry machines, so that Whirlpool and Home Depot don't lose money. What about MY MONEY? When did it become legal for corporate America to take working people's money, sell them sub par merchandise, and hold them hostage while they decide if the item is defective? I HAVE BEEN ROBBED and no one is doing anything about it.

The next service appointment is set for Thursday, 4/24/08. If it is not running by the time the service person leaves, I am calling a lawyer, the Attorney General's office, the Better Business Bureau and the consumer advocates at the local news stations. I have already started a dispute through my credit card used to purchase said dryer. I AM MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE.
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
Terrible, terrible, terrible! Going on 2 weeks since they said they were going to ship the part... Still no sign of it in the mail! It would be nice if someone there spoke ENGLISH!
 23rd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I got a call from my daughter, "dad" she says, "our hot water heater won't stay lit". With 10 years experience in building maintenance I think, no big deal, I'll swing by the local appliance parts store in the morning get a thermocouple and have it done in less than an hour. I couldn't have been more wrong. The guy at the parts store tells me they won't touch the left hand thread junk, but that Lowes is offering replacement parts at the store. So I drive 30 minutes to Lowes go in and get told that I have to call Whirlpool, get some kind of replacement code and come back with that number in hand. So I call Whirlpool, I'm talking to a guy whose name is Habebe and he has probably never seen a hot water heater let alone the good ol' USA. He tells me that they will have to ship me one and that I have to pay the freight. After several minutes of getting nowhere with him I hang up and call my ex-wife to give her the bad news. As it turns out one of the people she works with had the same problem less than a week earlier. Only the Lowes in Springfield was giving out replacment parts, so he said he would pick one up and bring it in the next day. Well I got it, put it in, and a week later it has quit again. And by the way my son who was helping me and I both smelled gas around the regulator as well. This has been a nightmare and I am going to try to get the ex to replace it all together. Lowes is just like any other chain store, you have good stores and bad ones, good employees and bad, but Whirlpool should get out of the hot water business. I will never buy anything that says Whirlpool on it.
 27th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool, Wasr012k20, 1ton Split Ac. - AC stopped working on third day of purchase!
Whirlpool, Dealers name - DAAS Elec Pune yerwada
India

I bought Whirlpool, WASR012k20, 1Ton split AC on 23 April 08, it got delivery on 25 Apil 08 (with chiller unit box being in open state and blower being in packed state, the delivery person told that they check it before delivery) and installed on 26 April 08 without testing (as the person who installed AC do not have time to wait till my electrician to come and fix proper electrical connections). I have specifically asked about the gas in compressor is perfect or not and they said as it's pack pieces will not be an issue. After installation person left, my electrician did proper connection and started AC and found to be working fine (though cooling was not very efficient as compressor found to be on for 4-5 hrs continuously to drop temprature from 31 to 25 degree celcious. The room area is 110 sq ft and 1ton AC is best suitable for 120 sq ft that is what has been told by dealer DASS).

On next day (27 April 08) afternoon i started AC and found that there is no cooling at all and compressor being on for more than 4hrs and temprature being constant at 28 degrees only. I have changed no settings that from yesterday.

Called the person who installed it and he told that he will repair it or if require will replace the unit tomorrow by 12 PM ( I was bit surprised with answer "will replace if required", i have not told anything on replacement, i just wanted to make sure that installation was correct or not). So again called the dealer DASS Elec (its in pune Shastri nagar Yerwada) but not proper answer was given on why this could have happened. They asked to contact person who installed AC. (Was that not dealers duty to contact him and update me, still i did that before they reply like that). They gave no proper answer.

I AM SUFFERING EVEN AFTER PAYING FULL AMOUNT OF RS.20, 000/- PLUS RS.2300/- INSTALLATION CHARGES. NOBODY IS THERE IS ADDRESS THE ISSUE. AND I HAVE NO OPTION LEFT TO WAIT FOR INSTALLATION PERSON TO COME TO MY PLACE. AND FOR WHICH I NEED TO TAKE LEAVE FROM OFFICE AND NEEDS TO BE AT HOME FOR THEM TO COME AND CHECK.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS, WHIRPOOL OR THE DEALER DASS ELEC OR BOTH?

Such as worst experince from that dealer DASS electronics at shastri nagar and do not know how a company like whirpool deliveRs defective piece which work for just 9-10 hrs and then stops functioning as mentioned. Are there any quality checks really happening at Whirlpool? It seems to be big name but no quality deliverable and services.

I am waiting for tomorrow for installation person to come and check it. Suppose if it happens to be prob with unit or with installation can i go to consumer court against whirpool and/or the dealer DAAS electonics for not providing me quality product and service? What is the procedure? Why dealer is not answering my questions properly?

Thanks,

Milind Sawant
Viman Nagar,
Pune - 411014
 28th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I bought a new whirpool water heater at lowes back in 2003 or so and had constant problems with the thermocouple as well, I must have replaced it like 12 times over a 4 year period, luckily i was able to do it myself, but being without hot water with young kids is a real pain, finally gave up on it when it went out during xmas 2006 and replaced it with a bosch tankless water heater also from lowes, and thats been another problem as well, I will be submitting by claim with the class action suit hopefully I'll qualify for the $30.00 for two thermocouples and the $150.00 because I replaced the water heater.

Good luck to you all.
 3rd of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Bought flareguard tank end of 2005. pilot light would not stay on. returned product the following day to lowes, got another one. Installed worked well for a few days. After that pilot light would go out for no reason every so often. We would relight and would be fine. Pain in the butt but we delt with it. Finally last week came home from work and no hot water, relite tank, stayed on for 2 minutes and went out. relite to pilot, went out after 2 more minutes, repeated 3 tims, same thing happened. Called whirlpool, after sitting on hold for at least 35 minutes got someone on the phone. stated that we needed a new manifold thermocouple assembly. Would ship for free, 3-5 day shipping, that was not good enough. I had to pay $19.08 for next day shipping. received part yesterday. Had a plumber put it in, trouble shooted after it was installed and pilot would still not stay lite. Seemed to be a bad gass valve. Called whirlpool again... another 35-45 minute on the phone. Was informed that it was not the gas valve, it was probably that the thermocouple was not pushed in tight enough. Had to rip the thing apart ourselved, and discovered that the double sided nut that is the orifice was not on the assempbly they had sent which is why it would not stay lite. Called back of course they were closed. Had to wait until this morning, called back and spoke with rep. She stated the old orifice should come off the old unit... which it does not!!! it is so tight it wil not move. They have to send another orifice out... but this is Saturday and I will not get it until Tuesday and we still have to pray this solves the problem.. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT OF ANY KIND!!! will try to get them to authorize us to return it and get some of our money back and buy a different brand.
 3rd of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - Complaining about the fraud of an employee
Home

Sir
This is to inform you that we are a regular customer of whirlpool appliances, have to file a complaint against a member of your service department who is selling the spare parts of whirlpool appliances illegally that by telling in the company that he is replacing in the guarantee but he is actually selling them, and asking the customer not to ask about the prices from the dealer or the company. The name of the person among your staff is mr. Shravan who resides in dayal bagh, agra working in bharat agencies, agra service department.
Kindly take immediate steps against that fraud person otherwise i am going to the consumer court to file a case against the dealer or the company.
Yours faithfully
Pranav
Agra
 10th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrigeretor - comp. no.:2560, dt.: 05/05/2008
whirlpool india
India

i have purchased whirl pool refrigeretor from shakti appliance, ahmedabad, in 2004-05 and having constant problem in every summer, in this summer unit doesnot work properly and not having cooling. i had filled complaint with dealer but i have not found any positive support.
my last comp. no. is 2560 dated 05/05/2008, but till date complaint has not been solved in this hot summer.

we have another Kelvinetor refrigeretorunit since last 20 yrs. but we have not single problem!!!,

if i have to wait for such long time for removing complaint, why i should but this product from this type of company in future???????????

dealer and customer care cycling cusotmer between them and they do not solve complain even after 15 days than i suggest to close down the company's customer care center and dealer, in stead of having their cost on shoulder of Co.!!!

i hope you under stand my problem in hot summer, pls resolve this complain.

regards,

Bhavesh choksi
 11th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrigeretor - comp. no.:2560, dt.: 05/05/2008
whirlpool
India

i have purchased whirlpool refrigeretor from shakti appliance, a'bad. in 2004-05.

there after i have facing cooling problem in every summer.

first i had changed switch, there after at present i have filed complaint vide comp. no. 2560, dt.05/05/2008, but till date 12/05/2008 no complaint is solved.

a techinician comes to home and informed we have to change gas for cooling purpose, only for this suggestion they charged rs. 250/-.

even after daily reminder they didnot come to change gas.

what is this ??? this is quality product ????
is this service ?????

they say we are providing online services!!! but not ready to say who is next authority who solve problems !!!

we will never suggest any one to but any product from whirl pool, because its not only poor product but its after sales sevice is dumped & poor quality at all...

no one is hearing at all... they need only money from you at time of sales..

its my personal feeling that whirlpool is company who running on not sales but no deprived services..

never suggest whrilpool to any one...

Bhavesh Choksi
 13th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am having a very bad experience with a whirlpool hot water heater. No hot water for over a week, poor, uninformed, insensitive and unintelligible responses from the customer call center and calloused responses from Sears that displaying a total lack of urgency. Additional concerns are that I am being charged for delivery of parts and labor costs. I purchased the water heater 5 months ago.
 26th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrigerator - Deficiency in service
B21 Hill Mist Garden,Kondwa ,Pune48
Pune
Illinois
Phone: 9922620123

Refrigerator is giving out an alarm every 2 mins. The service peson came and switched off the refrigerator light and asked us to put it on after 3 hrs and cllected service charges of rs.300.However to our horror the alarm keeps buzzing loudly every 2 mins as before .When contacted again we are told that the mother board has to be replaced and the part is unavailable and will arrive from Bombay in 4 days time. Now more than 2 weeks have passed but there is no sign of anyone from the company which gives elusive replies. Wish to take this up with the Consumers forum.
 26th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I HAVE PURCHASED 1- NO WHIRLPOOR W/M SUPER SOAK(3339) FROM NEAREST DEALER IN BANGALORE ON 23.05.2008, TILL DATE NOBODY VISITED TO OUR HOUSE FOR DEMONSTRATION OF WASHING MACHINE. PLEASE CONFIRM HOWMANY DAYS REQUIRED FOR DEMONSTRATION OF WASHING MACHINE.REGARDS.

P.VENKATESHA
HMT LIMITED, BANGALORE
PH:65982264 (RES)
PH:66626912 & 6913
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - Worst customer service
www.whirlpool.com

The lettering on my less than 1 month old duet washing machine is coming off. I called Whirlpool twice and both times hung even madder. WHY did I spend so much money on the piece of ****? They told me it was my fault. It was a user problem. I spilt laundry detergent on the control panel and wiped it off right after. IF you talk to David hang up and call back. He is sooooooo rude!!! Just check on the web and you will see all the complaints for whirlpool. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR MONEY. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. SAVE YOUR MONEY GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY PLEASE DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!!
 14th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
In my house in Atlanta some Kenmore appliances failed. When the repair company came out they told me these appliances were actually made by Whirlpool and had high failure rates.

Now in my ochester home the 2nd Whirlpool hot water heater in 6 months has failed. No empathy or cooperation from Whirlpool. No local parts availablity and no one willing to expidite shipment. It will be 6 days without hot water from a product still underwarranty, only 6 months old and neither Whirlpool nor the home improvement store it was purchased from is willing to accomodate a 'valued' customer.
 1st of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool / Refrigerator Elite250 - Compressor is not replaced for last 15 days
www.whirlpool.com

I had registered a complaint at whirlpool customer care on 14th June 2008 that, the Elite250 refrigerator which I own from 2004 is not cooling. The service engineer came on 17th June 2008 and checked that the compressor had stop functioning. The compressor had to be replaced. No one followed up with me till on 25th June 2008 I called the customer care (???) I got an answer that the coming Sat 28th June is scheduled for the replacement. On Sat know one called / showed up... hence again I called up customer care (as they call it)... After yelling and shouting the person at call center made someone from service center call me. The person assured that Monday (30th June) things will be done as compressor is not available. Today I have made several calls to customer care (@#$@) and also called service center. Till now no reply. Hence making this complaint.
 6th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am planning to purchase a 450 ltr whirlpool refrig, but having second thoughts. I own a Elec-Kelvinator fridge. Pl advise
 7th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - Washer don't work
Mississippi

I bought a new front load washer from whirlpool and it worked well for about two and half months before it started having a mind of its own. The washer started coming on and off as if a ghost was in the house and we are not able to wash clothes because the washer would not stay powered up. Whirlpool has sent three different repair companies out to the house to repair this problem and neither of them could fix the washer. Apparentley the washer is defected and after many calls to whirlpool and now more than three months without a washer, they are still saying they can not replace it until it is completley unrepairable. I just recentley found out that whirlpool appliances has a repair only warranty and they will not replace it until all attemps to repair it is exhausted, even if it takes months to get parts in to try and repair it.. Its been over three months and counting and we are still having to go to a local laundry mat to wash clothes. You got me this time whirlpool, but I promise you want get me again.

Still disgusted and soiled