logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
American Laser Center
Fraud, possible class action lawsuit
2. (19 mins ago)
Wyzant.com
They are a horrible company and I urge any who wish to tutor not to bother with these scam artists
3. (32 mins ago)
Leor Skin Care
They started to steal from us
4. (1 hr 9 mins ago)
Scam/ Fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters Complaints & Reviews - Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

Whirlpool Contacts & Informations

Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters

Posted:    Valerie

Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Nov, 2008 by   sam 0 Votes
Lets go ahead and ad me to the list of unhappy customers here. I bought my Water Heater (WH) in March 2008 and on November 17, 2008 it quit working. I followed suit with everyone else and replaced the thermocouple and was able to get it to lite and heat the water for my first shower in three days. I checked the WH after my shower and it is doing the same thing as before, the pilot will not stay on. I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. I only wish I would have known about this crappy product and the class action lawsuit against whirlpool and lowes before purchasing the WH and installing it myself. I am now doing my homework upfront for a new WH, online. I will not spend another penny to fix this peice of crap. Go to www.waterheatersettlement.com to see the lawsuit results. What really makes me mad is Lowes is still selling the same model that I bought months ago and whirlpool is still making the crap. We consumers need to quit buying products from the retailers and manufacturers tha sell them. Good luck everybody.
 25th of Nov, 2008 by   Ellen 0 Votes
I'm not sure how Carol, the Whirlpool rep. can type what she typed with a straight face. We purchased a BFG model Whirlpool Flamelock hot water heater at Lowe's in May of 2008. Fortunately, we have a friend who is a plumber so we didn't have to pay a fortune to have it installed. 6 months later, we have no hot water. My husband goes to the hot water heater and relights the pilot. That lasts for 2 days. We again lit the pilot. We got one tank of hot water then it went out again. We happened to have to have a furnace guy coming that day so we had him take a look. He went to Lowe's and was told that this fell under a class action lawsuit/recall. I got online and did the research I should have done before I bought the Whirlpool junk. I was stunned to find out that this has been going on for years. I printed out pages of this stuff and we went to Lowe's. The manager seemed to have no knowledge of this problem. I found that to be incredible because her employees in plumbing knew about it. They still sell the same model. She agreed to refund our money. Our plumber friend ripped out the junk and installed a different brand purchased at another store. We took the junk back to Lowe's and the manager said she'd made calls, and although she would stand by her promise, our hot water heater wasn't recalled. I will never shop at Lowe's again! How can they knowingly sell this crap? What else are they selling you that's dangerous and under a recall??? Don't buy Whirlpool and don't shop at Lowe's!!!
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Will Evans 0 Votes
I purchased the Whirlpool model BFG 40 gallon hot water heater in February 2008 from our local Lowes store. The hot water heater has failed to get hot on a couple occassions in the past and we found that the pilot failed to ignite. The hot water heater failed again and when i talked with Lowes they will not take any responsibility for the failure and put me on to the customer service rep wtih Whirlpool. I explained that the technician that came to the house to fix this water heater says there is a major failure with the units. Of course when I asked the customer service rep at Whirlpool he has never heard of any issue but will be glad to send me a new gas valve complete with all the attachements. Something is wrong with a system that allows a manufacuturer to walk away from their responsibility and also the business that sell a unit less then 9 months ago. I had to install a new hot water heater to get my family back in to a normal life of having hot water. Lowes will not see any business for me and I will do my best to not use any item with the Whirlpool name in the future.
 21st of Dec, 2008 by   Steveohiowine 0 Votes
Dear Friends, I just got of the phone with whirlpool (sunday PM) and they are sending me the motherboard for my machine for the second time. It's an electric hot water heater I bought at Lowes 2 years ago.
An error message on the energy smart controller told me to change the lower element. (It was the same last time )I changed the element again but I'm not sure that's what's wrong.
I am writing to tell you about a clever way to drain the tank. Build up in the bottom of the tank made it impossible to drain through the small opening provided. Stymied, I was out in the garage looking around for some tool to clear the opening. Spotted the bicycle pump and jet spray nozzle for the male hose end. The other end was hooked to the valve. I used a piece of plastic tubing to connect the bicycle pump ( I had to remove the air pump hose)to the hose and five pumps and I could hear air gurgling into the tank. Voila!
I never had to replace an element twice before the tank leaked but now I know how to drain the water tank.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   Evin 0 Votes
Add me to the list also. I had a BFG for a few months. Thermal coupler was the problem, I raised hell with lowes and they allowed me to return it. Actually the rep was there and authorized the return. Got a new BFG installed the thing and now for the last 2 weeks I have been having to reset the reset switch and relight the pilot light. I called the 800 number and was told the vent was dirty and needed to clean it as that was making the thermal coupler to trip. The 800 rep said she would send out a new manifold door and assembly next day. I did NOT have to pay shipping so we will see if it is on my door tomorrow. What a joke this WP water heater is.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   ritzie 0 Votes
I bought a 50 gallon hotwater heater in 2003. I have replaced 5 thermacouples and after the class action suit, they sent me a maindoor assembly to replace. I have that and now I can get the heater to fire back up but it may go out once a twice a day. I never know if I will have hot water.
 13th of Mar, 2009 by   Another Dissatisfied Whirlpool Customer 0 Votes
I installed my Whirlpool BFG Flame Lock in April 2008. It stopped working in March 2009. I wish I had read all the complaints before deciding to purchase this. I was searching online for info regarding recalls and lawsuits. I did call the service number and they were VERY cooperative! They are sending out a technician to repair my water heater at no charge (the next day). There was even a special menu option for this water heater and web address. This made me think they KNOW there are major design problems with this and are trying to cover their ___! Lowe's should be ashamed for still selling these. They are just as responsible and if I still have problems after this, I will be going to Lowe's to get my money back. They are knowingly selling lemons!
 23rd of Mar, 2009 by   Horacio 0 Votes
This W/H is a real nightmare but, the "customer nonservice it's even worst, since english is not my native language, I'm allways willing to be patient to people in the same situation but...the people who pick up my call were impossible to understand, I hang up and cal again hoping to find somebody that I can understand. Then I've tried to get Sears to give ne an estimate, oh my!!!htis is a wrong #, call this other #, 4times!!!, nobody was able to give me an estimate, their only answer was: $70 for svc. call plus watever the tech will find, there is nothing to find!!!, the troubleshoot was already made and the job is a very common one!!!, no way they want their money first and then the shake up, and of course the$70 do not go torch to the repair price, they are gone for good (their good), finally I was able to find a company in Upland, CA that knows the problem very well, told me about the class action lawsuit and they're sending a tech on the same day (today) will see what happens.
 31st of Mar, 2009 by   Pat Smith 0 Votes
Purchased a whirlpool electric hot water heater in 2007. Am having problems with what appears to be some white stuff that looks like crushed piping that is clogging the sinks and shower in the house. Has anyone had this experience? If so how to fix it?

PatS.
 9th of Apr, 2009 by   Troy 0 Votes
Whirlpool needs to change the name for crappool becuase that is what here products are crap Hot water water not even one year old. pilot light will not stay on this is bullshit.. I am reading storie of how bad the customer server is i don't want to talk to them. I give the bastard one chance to make it right if they don't good bye crappool hello Kenmore or some other brand beside whirlpool
 29th of Apr, 2009 by   Tammy 0 Votes
We are on our second Whirlpool Hot water heater in 3 years . Both units being bought at Lowes. We do not know where to turn but this is getting really old. Customer service has sent us every part in the machine I think to be changed out. All to with no success.
 29th of May, 2009 by   gpc 0 Votes
Lets get down to business. The Whirlpool electric 50 gal. hot water heater sold by lowes is not made nor warrantied by whirlpool. It is a licensed product that means a maker gives whirlpool money to put the whirlpool label on it. The warranty is terrible and the service is terrible. I have had two appointed days between the hours of 8-5 which they have not come and on the third day they came at 4. They do cheap work like not emptying the tank but pulling out the element with lost water draining everywhere and than wiping up the old water but since that water travels down the inside wetting the insulation and soaking the inside metal eventually causing rust but dont worry it takes a little time and they wont take care of you. Make sure the item you buy is fully UL listed that the maker is the name brand and the warranty is fully effective throughout the course. Stay away from sears because that is who will be fixing your whirlpool items.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   disgusted 0 Votes
Why are they selling these pieces of crap in any legitimate store? Same problem, I bought one of these Whirlpool flame lock gas water heaters in 2004and it has cost me more in repairs the last three years than the original heater cost. I have had four service calls since having it put in to get the pilot light relit and hundreds of dollars out of pocket to do so.

Whirlpool's customer service is probably the worst I have ever encountered. After spending the last two days on the phone to India, plumbers in my area (south Jersey), and to company reps in Johnson City, Tenn, I can say with confidence that no one gives a crap about the problem. I was hung up on twice by the Johnson City contingent today, once by a woman who swore they had no problems with this unit and that I must be cleaning wrong to have the pilot keep blowing out. *(her name is Ruby by the way and she is an asshole) I have had the thermal coupling replaced after the lawsuit settled but I still had to pay for shipping and handling, the service call for the guy to come out and now I still have an unlit pilot light and no hot water for two days.

If this unit was so bad that the company settled a lawsuit instead of having it go to trial, then why are they still being sold with the same obvious problems. You would think Lowes would wake up and find another brand to sell.

I am now going to throw in the towel and buy a Bradford and White, as advised by my plumber who also advised me that they would not come out to fix these Whirlpool heaters as they are knowingly defective. All together, between the installation of the old water heater (close to $1, 000 between cost of the unit, the labor to put it in and the permits and inspections I had to pay to have it installed) another $500 in repairs since the installation and now having to purchase a new heater (going to have to shell out another $1, 000) I want to scream. I TELL ANYONE NOW, DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL AND IF YOU HAVE ONE, REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER WORK RIGHT.

And by the way, I read the post by the Whirlpool rep. She must be drinking the same koolaid as the rest of them in Tennessee because I called over 25 plumbers in my area to get this fixed and all of them told me the same thing, these units are a piece of shit and no one is going to help you get it fixed.

Thoroughly disgusted in New Jersey
 22nd of Jun, 2009 by   Tsal 0 Votes
Bought Whirlpool water heater from Lowes in '04. Have had nothing but problems. Called Sears for repair and was charged $128.00 to be told I needed to purchase a new water heater. Of course I went out & purchased a $450.00 Kenmore water heater. The plumber who came to install it today said it was under a Transaction Settlement and I could pay $20.00 for over night delivery of a thermal couple conversion kit. He was nice enough to go to his shop and install one he had in stock and I could send him the one I am receiving tomorrow. I do have hot water now but I don't know for how long according to the complaints I've been reading on this site. What irritates me is Sears has no records of this Transaction Settlement. So, they're technicians tell unsuspecting consumers to buy a new water heater. If not for this wonderful plumber I would've spent $200.00 installation for a water heater I didn't have to buy. My total out of pocket expense $683.00 including $105.00 I paid to my plumber today 6/22/09 (my birthday). I am going to take my 1st hot shower in 2 weeks & hopefully I wont have to boil water to take a luke warm/cold bath for awhile! And, I will get a refund Sears.
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   rubysshoes 0 Votes
i am currently on my second piece of crap water heater from Lowes/Whirlpool. 8 months ago, my 6 month old WH stopped working. lomg story short, after 4 days, 3 repairs, and a dozen furious phone calls to Lowes, and Whirlpool, Lowes replaced my water heater WITH ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER. now here i am, 8 months later, with cold water AGAIN. i REFUSE to have a whirlpool product in my house. i am going to HOME DEPOT today to but a new water heater, and am filing suit against Whirlpool and Lowes. i am also contacting my local consumer reporter here in Columbus, and will take this as far as i have to to get my money back from this dishonest company.
 30th of Sep, 2009 by   JAMES W BROWN JR. 0 Votes
Carol who works with whirlpool water heaters. I have a fg whirlpool water heater that is still under warranty. ALL I WANT IS MY HOT WATER WORKING AGAIN! GETTING A HOLD OF SOMEONE TO HELP FROM YOU PEOPLE IS A TEDIOUS AND VERY DISAPPOINTING PROCESS . I HAVEN'T FILED AGAINST YOU PEOPLE YET, BUT INTEND TO DO SO.
 30th of Sep, 2009 by   JAMES W BROWN JR. 0 Votes
WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO PAY AGAIN FOR SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HAVE WORKED CORRECTLY IN THE FIRST PLACE !
 30th of Oct, 2009 by   pwk 0 Votes
Well, I am in the game. I bought a Whirlpool from Lowes 19 mos ago and I have no hot water. The first clue was that I had no pilot light. I was sure that it was the thermocoupler. But the circumstance that really bothers me is that the insulation inside the tank is soaked and there is no leak at the lines on the top of the tank. A small puddle of water has formed on the floor at the bottom of the tank. Last time I checked this is not good. After reading all of these posts I will value my sanity and just dump the thing. I have had numerous H2O heaters over the years and most have lasted well past the warranty. As much as I would love to experience a conversation with Ruby from Tennessee I'm going to jettison the darn thing. Thank you all for taking the time to express your frusteration. I emphathise with you and at least I won't have to go through all this nonsense

As Randy Jackson says on American Idol, just keeping it real,

Pat Kearns from Van nuys
 10th of Jan, 2010 by   Kimbobwae 0 Votes
I live in an apartment and had my waterheater replaced with a Whirlpool Gas WaterHeater two years ago. Guess what, on 12/30/09 the pilot light went out. My brother got it restarted but that afternoon I noticed it was out. I couldn't get it restarted neither could my brother so I called the Gas Co. and they sent out a Tech. He told me that I would have to call the Customer Service Number because they had seen alot of waterheaters with this problem. He thought that it might be the Thermocoupler but that the company (Whirlpool) would send out the whole part. I went that night to the Whirlpool website and read that all replacement parts could be found at Lowe's. The next day my brother and I went to Lowe's and found the thermocoupler ($7.49) we quickly replaced the part and the pilot light went on but would not stay on. My brother joked, "How long do you think I need to hold down the safety valve to get hot water?" I called my property manager and he called his repair guy that, of course, knew nothing about waterheaters. He later called the Whirlpool customer service line who gave him the company that does all warranty repairs in Los Angeles. Their tech came out the next day and told us that the regulator was faulty. He took all of five minutes and replaced it. I now have had hot water for a week and love it. I think it may have been bad from the beginning because now when the waterheater turns on it is much quieter and the water heats faster. The Company is called General Installation Co., Authorized Factory Warranty Replacement Center. Phone Numbers: (323) 753-2541, (323) 753-5411 and (800) 824-1117. Hopefully this helps anyone who needs some help with the Waterheater.
 23rd of Jan, 2010 by   whirlpooljunk 0 Votes
Too bad, I did not read this post before buying mine. Well...we live and learn!!
Mine was installed two yrs ago, and it broke... thermo couple... igniter... yada...yada...
I am going with out hotwater for more than a week now. Household with two littlle kids... 6 months and 5 yrs...
You can imagine...what i am going through in this winter.

What's New in Smart Phones