Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters

Posted:

Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

4.55
I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.
Complaint comments Comments (247) Complaint country United States Complaint category Home & Garden

Comments

18th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I agree 100% to statment RE: WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER "Product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks".
 19th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
This is really more of a response to 'Shawn' the Whirlpool defender - dude, YOUR PRODUCT IS STILL CRAP!

I bought a brand new, 50-gallon, 12-year, 'top of the line' Whirlpool water heater from Lowe's, about 2 months ago. It died. I took it back to Lowe's two days ago; they were honorable, and gave me a new one.

People! Pay attention! Here's how bad Whirlpool has gotten. We cut the box open on the new one, and the 'Whirlpool' sticker is crooked. They can't even put a sticker on correctly! How the heck can they tell me with a straight face that the parts that shoot flames are correctly installed?? Foolishly, we installed it anyway.

Discovering we once again had no hot water, I knew something was wrong. The pilot had gone out. I re-lit it, and watched for a while. About 2 minutes into the heating cycle, sparks started coming up off of the burner. No, it is not 'normal condensation'. (side note, shouldn't it keep the bottom of the tank area warm enogh to avoid condensation buildup??) I was a welder for 17 years, I know sparks. It is not normal.

Bottom line, I cannot wait to rid myself of this brand once and for all. Shawn, you should go to work for a reputable company. Enron maybe.
 21st of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - They just don't seem to care
www.whirlpool.com

We received a defective cook top. Flames shooting out at every angle. I escaped being caught on fire by inches. Whirlpool refuse to replace it, claiming that they will have someone repair it. After 5 attempts to repair it, it still is not fixed. They just don't seem to care. They send a so called technician who has no idea what he is doing. We are now waiting for another part that was to be overnight to us this was 7 days ago. I guess if I suffered 3 rd degree burns they may have replaced it.

Still waiting.
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
Terrible, terrible, terrible! Going on 2 weeks since they said they were going to ship the part... Still no sign of it in the mail! It would be nice if someone there spoke ENGLISH!
 23rd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I got a call from my daughter, "dad" she says, "our hot water heater won't stay lit". With 10 years experience in building maintenance I think, no big deal, I'll swing by the local appliance parts store in the morning get a thermocouple and have it done in less than an hour. I couldn't have been more wrong. The guy at the parts store tells me they won't touch the left hand thread junk, but that Lowes is offering replacement parts at the store. So I drive 30 minutes to Lowes go in and get told that I have to call Whirlpool, get some kind of replacement code and come back with that number in hand. So I call Whirlpool, I'm talking to a guy whose name is Habebe and he has probably never seen a hot water heater let alone the good ol' USA. He tells me that they will have to ship me one and that I have to pay the freight. After several minutes of getting nowhere with him I hang up and call my ex-wife to give her the bad news. As it turns out one of the people she works with had the same problem less than a week earlier. Only the Lowes in Springfield was giving out replacment parts, so he said he would pick one up and bring it in the next day. Well I got it, put it in, and a week later it has quit again. And by the way my son who was helping me and I both smelled gas around the regulator as well. This has been a nightmare and I am going to try to get the ex to replace it all together. Lowes is just like any other chain store, you have good stores and bad ones, good employees and bad, but Whirlpool should get out of the hot water business. I will never buy anything that says Whirlpool on it.
 28th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I bought a new whirpool water heater at lowes back in 2003 or so and had constant problems with the thermocouple as well, I must have replaced it like 12 times over a 4 year period, luckily i was able to do it myself, but being without hot water with young kids is a real pain, finally gave up on it when it went out during xmas 2006 and replaced it with a bosch tankless water heater also from lowes, and thats been another problem as well, I will be submitting by claim with the class action suit hopefully I'll qualify for the $30.00 for two thermocouples and the $150.00 because I replaced the water heater.

Good luck to you all.
 3rd of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Bought flareguard tank end of 2005. pilot light would not stay on. returned product the following day to lowes, got another one. Installed worked well for a few days. After that pilot light would go out for no reason every so often. We would relight and would be fine. Pain in the butt but we delt with it. Finally last week came home from work and no hot water, relite tank, stayed on for 2 minutes and went out. relite to pilot, went out after 2 more minutes, repeated 3 tims, same thing happened. Called whirlpool, after sitting on hold for at least 35 minutes got someone on the phone. stated that we needed a new manifold thermocouple assembly. Would ship for free, 3-5 day shipping, that was not good enough. I had to pay $19.08 for next day shipping. received part yesterday. Had a plumber put it in, trouble shooted after it was installed and pilot would still not stay lite. Seemed to be a bad gass valve. Called whirlpool again... another 35-45 minute on the phone. Was informed that it was not the gas valve, it was probably that the thermocouple was not pushed in tight enough. Had to rip the thing apart ourselved, and discovered that the double sided nut that is the orifice was not on the assempbly they had sent which is why it would not stay lite. Called back of course they were closed. Had to wait until this morning, called back and spoke with rep. She stated the old orifice should come off the old unit... which it does not!!! it is so tight it wil not move. They have to send another orifice out... but this is Saturday and I will not get it until Tuesday and we still have to pray this solves the problem.. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT OF ANY KIND!!! will try to get them to authorize us to return it and get some of our money back and buy a different brand.
 10th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrigeretor - comp. no.:2560, dt.: 05/05/2008
whirlpool india
India

i have purchased whirl pool refrigeretor from shakti appliance, ahmedabad, in 2004-05 and having constant problem in every summer, in this summer unit doesnot work properly and not having cooling. i had filled complaint with dealer but i have not found any positive support.
my last comp. no. is 2560 dated 05/05/2008, but till date complaint has not been solved in this hot summer.

we have another Kelvinetor refrigeretorunit since last 20 yrs. but we have not single problem!!!,

if i have to wait for such long time for removing complaint, why i should but this product from this type of company in future???????????

dealer and customer care cycling cusotmer between them and they do not solve complain even after 15 days than i suggest to close down the company's customer care center and dealer, in stead of having their cost on shoulder of Co.!!!

i hope you under stand my problem in hot summer, pls resolve this complain.

regards,

Bhavesh choksi
 11th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrigeretor - comp. no.:2560, dt.: 05/05/2008
whirlpool
India

i have purchased whirlpool refrigeretor from shakti appliance, a'bad. in 2004-05.

there after i have facing cooling problem in every summer.

first i had changed switch, there after at present i have filed complaint vide comp. no. 2560, dt.05/05/2008, but till date 12/05/2008 no complaint is solved.

a techinician comes to home and informed we have to change gas for cooling purpose, only for this suggestion they charged rs. 250/-.

even after daily reminder they didnot come to change gas.

what is this ??? this is quality product ????
is this service ?????

they say we are providing online services!!! but not ready to say who is next authority who solve problems !!!

we will never suggest any one to but any product from whirl pool, because its not only poor product but its after sales sevice is dumped & poor quality at all...

no one is hearing at all... they need only money from you at time of sales..

its my personal feeling that whirlpool is company who running on not sales but no deprived services..

never suggest whrilpool to any one...

Bhavesh Choksi
 13th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am having a very bad experience with a whirlpool hot water heater. No hot water for over a week, poor, uninformed, insensitive and unintelligible responses from the customer call center and calloused responses from Sears that displaying a total lack of urgency. Additional concerns are that I am being charged for delivery of parts and labor costs. I purchased the water heater 5 months ago.
 26th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool Refrigerator - Deficiency in service
B21 Hill Mist Garden,Kondwa ,Pune48
Pune
Illinois
Phone: 9922620123

Refrigerator is giving out an alarm every 2 mins. The service peson came and switched off the refrigerator light and asked us to put it on after 3 hrs and cllected service charges of rs.300.However to our horror the alarm keeps buzzing loudly every 2 mins as before .When contacted again we are told that the mother board has to be replaced and the part is unavailable and will arrive from Bombay in 4 days time. Now more than 2 weeks have passed but there is no sign of anyone from the company which gives elusive replies. Wish to take this up with the Consumers forum.
 26th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I HAVE PURCHASED 1- NO WHIRLPOOR W/M SUPER SOAK(3339) FROM NEAREST DEALER IN BANGALORE ON 23.05.2008, TILL DATE NOBODY VISITED TO OUR HOUSE FOR DEMONSTRATION OF WASHING MACHINE. PLEASE CONFIRM HOWMANY DAYS REQUIRED FOR DEMONSTRATION OF WASHING MACHINE.REGARDS.

P.VENKATESHA
HMT LIMITED, BANGALORE
PH:65982264 (RES)
PH:66626912 & 6913
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - Worst customer service
www.whirlpool.com

The lettering on my less than 1 month old duet washing machine is coming off. I called Whirlpool twice and both times hung even madder. WHY did I spend so much money on the piece of ****? They told me it was my fault. It was a user problem. I spilt laundry detergent on the control panel and wiped it off right after. IF you talk to David hang up and call back. He is sooooooo rude!!! Just check on the web and you will see all the complaints for whirlpool. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR MONEY. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. SAVE YOUR MONEY GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY PLEASE DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!!
 14th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
In my house in Atlanta some Kenmore appliances failed. When the repair company came out they told me these appliances were actually made by Whirlpool and had high failure rates.

Now in my ochester home the 2nd Whirlpool hot water heater in 6 months has failed. No empathy or cooperation from Whirlpool. No local parts availablity and no one willing to expidite shipment. It will be 6 days without hot water from a product still underwarranty, only 6 months old and neither Whirlpool nor the home improvement store it was purchased from is willing to accomodate a 'valued' customer.
 1st of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool / Refrigerator Elite250 - Compressor is not replaced for last 15 days
www.whirlpool.com

I had registered a complaint at whirlpool customer care on 14th June 2008 that, the Elite250 refrigerator which I own from 2004 is not cooling. The service engineer came on 17th June 2008 and checked that the compressor had stop functioning. The compressor had to be replaced. No one followed up with me till on 25th June 2008 I called the customer care (???) I got an answer that the coming Sat 28th June is scheduled for the replacement. On Sat know one called / showed up... hence again I called up customer care (as they call it)... After yelling and shouting the person at call center made someone from service center call me. The person assured that Monday (30th June) things will be done as compressor is not available. Today I have made several calls to customer care (@#$@) and also called service center. Till now no reply. Hence making this complaint.
 6th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am planning to purchase a 450 ltr whirlpool refrig, but having second thoughts. I own a Elec-Kelvinator fridge. Pl advise
 10th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Whirlpool - not cooling
whirlpoolindia.com

The telephone no provided in the service manual are not working my fridge is not cooling so kindly send the conserned personto rectefi the problem.
 18th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
I just spent two days learning about and fixing my Whirlpool flamelock hot water heater. I bought it at Lowe's in 7/05 and it failed in 8/08. The problem with this unit is that it is overengineered. Instead of a simple pilot, thermostat, burner set up the flamelock has built in safety devices which fail regularly shutting down the unit.
Heat is the main culprit, the unit does best when sitting out in the middle of a basement and worst when shut in a small closet. The reason is a sensor which shuts off the pilot and burner if a certain temp. is reached. Once this happens it's not reversible and you have to install new parts. (The new models can be reset but only by calling up the manufacturer). Also there is a vent screen at the bottom of the unit and if it plugs with dirt or lint the unit quickly overheats and fails.
Lowe's has a free kit for the older models like mine which gives you a new thermocouple, pilot light and ignition starter. You have to get your model number off the unit and have proof of purchase, it is not very easy to install. I also got a new thermostat-gas valve for mine, cost $56 and now the unit is vertually a new one as the tank should last 15 yrs. or so.
 21st of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
On Sunday, Aug. 17 I purchased a Whirlpool hot water heater from a local Lows store. (model# sg1j5040t3nov). We had it professionally installed that day. That night and the following day we heard what sounded like explosions from the unit. After shutting down the unit, we had the installer come out again. He told us to contact the manufacturer. We did and they then called to arrange an appointment for a service tech visit. Upon his visit today, he reported a 7 second delay in the gas to ignition within the unit (which "scared" him), he called Whirlpool and they told him that the unit we bought had a "known issue" with the heater and a part would have to be ordered and installed. He told us not to use the unit, that it was extremely dangerous. So buying a $600 water heater could have killed my family? We're now without hot water until until this part is ordered and installed. I have two small children. Being without hot water is unacceptable and unsafe. But being sold an water heater with a "known" dangerous issue...that is criminal. How does a company allow a situation like this to continue?
 1st of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
This Company's products are just horrible.

Whirlpool Logo Whirlpool