logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Carports.com
Do not deal with these people
2. (9 mins ago)
Dillards
Mistreatment of employees
3. (20 mins ago)
TroysFlorist.com
They have never made a delivery
4. (20 mins ago)
Indeed.com
This website shouldn't even be online, they are a scam job website
5. (23 mins ago)
Windsor Blue Superkings
now only 19 cigaretts in a pack instead of 20 why?

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Veterans Advantage Complaints & Reviews - Credit card charges

Veterans Advantage Contacts & Informations

Veterans Advantage

Posted:    unhappy

Credit card charges

Veterans Advantage charged my credit card $4.95 for shipping charges of a packet I never requested or received. I did not find out about this charge until I noticed it in my credit card statement. I am appalled at the unethical practices of this "Military Veteran friendly" organization. When I called and proceeded to cancel my membership, they tried bribing me to continue my membership. In return for my continued membership they were going to contribute an unspecified amount to a military charity organization. I recommend that anyone who is debating to become a member really think twice. There are numerous complaints also filed with the BBB. Unfortunately, they all have been resolved and they continue to use the same practices.
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Jan, 2009 by   Member Services +1 Votes
Dear Sir,

We apologize for your experience. It sounds like you already discussed this matter directly with us, but if there's any other issue you wish to discuss, please feel free to call us directly at the number below. We take criticism seriously, and make every effort to resolve satisfactorily customer issues.

To anyone else with concerns, please note this process so you can get DIRECT resolution of any issue in a timely fashion, rather than posting here:

- We have a Web address (http://www.VeteransAdvantage.com/contact) for e-mail response within one business day.
- Toll-free: Reach us at 1-866-838-2774 immediately during business hours, eastern time, to speak with a live representative.

We make every effort--online and offline--to resolve any outstanding matter promptly, including publishing our contact information in product materials we mail via First Class mail. These materials are sent to those who enroll in our program. They provide access to a military/veteran/family benefits program that includes special benefits from leading national companies as a "Thank You for Service."

Customers who register with a valid e-mail address receive this information by e-mail.

Finally, we are proud of our charitable activities, thanks to the support of our members. This year, for instance, we awarded 300, 000 complimentary Veterans Advantage membership cards . We perform these activities in addition to our core business of extending special benefits to those who serve and their families. We document our charitable activities online here: http://www.veteransadvantage.com/partners/Charitable_Activities_Public.html

We hope your questions have been resolved to your satisfaction, and you will one day consider re-joining Veterans Advantage.

Sincerely,
The Member Services Team
at Veterans Advantage
1-866-838-2774
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   HeadHancho -1 Votes
They did the same to me... charged for shipping something unwanted. The best way they can solve this problem is to stop the procedure. They must be desperate for money... and truly their discounts are fairly worthless. I tries 3 times to get my birthdate corrected with them and it never did happen... the local pharmacy refused to honor the prescription beneft... a measly 10%!

Seems they are quick to apologize...that's all!
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   JARosado -2 Votes
I agree. They also did the same to me. Charged me for something I didn't ask for or received. All they do is apologize, but on top of it they don't fix the situation AND also make it a pain in the neck to cancel the membership. No information WHATSOEVER on how to cancel on their website, other that "please contact us" with an email, no phone numbers...

Notice how in their reply here they are asking you to talk directly to them rather than post a complaint here. What does that tell you?
 5th of Nov, 2009 by   cknych +2 Votes
I have to disagree with everyone who has posted a negative towards Veterans Advantage. I have been a member for only around 6 months or so but in all my packets and all my e-mails from them I had no problem finding a phone number or a contact e-mail address. I signed up for the 4.95 trial offer and read the information they had posted on the web site so i knew that I would be charged for a full year membership in I think it was 60 days. They automatically took the payment and only the payment I agreed to.

I have used my card only around 5 times or so and for small purchases but I do save some money with it. I use it for all my prescriptions instead of my United Health card because at the Target pharmacy there is always a savings of around 3 dallars or so per script. If everyone would simply read the e-mail they receive when they sign up, and also read the membership packet they receive I think there would be a lot less surprises.

As with any on line membership there is a lot of information you need to read prior to signing up and agreeing to pay. Pay close attention to the content of such material and make sure you understand and if you don't then just call them they will explain it to you.
I received a 25 dollar gift card as a promotional thing when i signed up but when i didn't receive it I sent them an e-mail which was answered in 24 hours and then around 2 weeks late my gift card showed up. I think they are doing a fine job so far and thank them for this program. let me reiterate for all of you... read the offer more closeley and read all the other material in full and you will find there are no surprises.

Respectfully,
SGT. C.K. (Veteran; U.S. Army)
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   Rigoberto 0 Votes
I agree Veteran Advantage is ripoff, the thing that gets me is that they are using the veterans to do the dirty deeds. This company should change their name to something else. I was wondering if the Washington, Regional Office knows about this company abusing veterans in the name of veterans.
 6th of Dec, 2009 by   markbyrn 0 Votes
I purchased a multi-year membership in Veterans Advantage some 5 years ago (at a substantial discount from their current plans) and I'm here to report that I've used the service exactly zero times. The paltry discounts that Veterans Advantage touts can almost always be beaten by finding an alternate coupon code, seasonal discounts, and other military related discount programs that don't require you to shell out $59 a year to Veterans Advantage. They trumpet discounts that aren't specific to their program and can be obtained by any active duty or retired military member; for example there's a code for 20% off AT&T monthly plans. If you're not active duty or retired, the Veterans Advantage exclusive plan is, "Some AT&T Wireless Stores may be accepting the Veterans Advantage membership card for 8% monthly service discounts when presented with our IRU Foundation Account Number." Some stores may be accepting?! They also tout discounts that don't actually exist; for example they claim to offer discounts on Ipods through their membership portal to the Apple Store yet the prices on the Ipod Touches were the same as the regular store. They offer 15% off a Hotel's normal rate - of course you can almost always find a lower rate through almost any travel discount website or from the Hotel itself. They recently added an 'exclusive' benefit for %20 off Boston Market yet in checking Google, Boston Market is offering %20 off coupon deals and programs to almost everybody; hardly surprising given the economy and Boston Market's already high menu prices. Military.com has a huge list of businesses offering military discounts and my guess is that Veterans Advantage is for the most part simply offering the same discounts and charging you $59 a year for the privilege. I won't say Veterans Advantage is an outright scam but it's slick & oily, and I won't be renewing even though they attempted to automatically renew me and sent out a new membership packet - fortunately the credit card they have on file is no longer valid.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   King1155 +1 Votes
I disagree with the guy above. Ifind real value with the Veterans Advantage program discounts. First of all there are several things they give you right away for free and included with your membership that you don't have to pay anything at all for, but the member fee of course. And I feel this stuff is worth a lot more than the average $5 bucks a mo. you pay for your card. One big one is $5, 000 of death benefit coverage. That could cover a funeral cost. Another is $50, 000 in emergency medical evacuation when you travel. This is not a small thing. if you go on a cruise, they absolutely require you to have this kind of coverage and you could pay them hundreds for it if you purchase it from the cruise line directly. Plus it only covers you for the period of your cruise. The Veterans Advantage coverage is for everyday as long as you are a member and travelling more than 100 miles from your home. You also get a financial planning pacakage worth $500 in consulting fees. Have yet to use this, but plan to. And I do use the free prescription plan. I find as one other writer says that the savings have exceeded what I get with my own insurance prescription coverage. Given these things, any other discounts are just gravy, but I do use the 10% off Target a lot. Yes, if you hunt around a lot you might find a coupon deal here or there that is better from time to time. But that also takes a lot of time, which I don't always have. It is convenient for me to have the deals in one place. I check Veterans Advantage first and at least know I have that deal. I know I have saved so far more than my membership cost. And despite the items the person above picked up, there are quite a few you can't find anywhere else like the 5% off Continental. So agree with another writer that this is a valuable program and overall they are doing a good job.
 18th of Mar, 2010 by   Newdawn 0 Votes
When I applied to Veterans Advantage, they promised me a free DVD and 25% off first yesr membership and charged me $4.95. Their programm is totally useless and inferior comparing to others, like American Legion. Their promises never materialized, I feel deceived, humiliated and hard done by. They kept quoting their policy that I was not entilteled to 25% off and the feee DVD, yet they had it on their website and promised me over the phone that that's what I can have.
Very dissapointing, because they are supposed to help out us vets, instead all you get from them just broken promises.
Avoid them.
 12th of May, 2010 by   Member Services 0 Votes
We respectfully disagree with this latest posting from "newdawn" -- The Veterans Advantage special offers section very specifically separates the 25% discount offer from the free DVD with membership. This consumer also participated in a 30-day trial for those not yet ready to pay full price, which charges only $4.95 processing up front, substantially lower than what this consumer mistakenly expected to pay (25% discount).

Special dedicated product URLs in a special dedicated "Special Offers" area of a Web site is a very standard E-commerce practice. Any consumer can get to this standard page by clicking "Plan Options" in our standard navigation bar at the very top of our Web site to see the terms of the offers, and access the special URLs. All of which, again, are distinct and separate offers. Because of this, we are not sure why our own live phone agent would have said what newdawn alleges, but it appears a second call to us clarified the situation.

We apologize this customer was disappointed, but we believe Veterans Advantage made every effort to communicate this online, and through two dedicated live representatives. We feel live representatives giving instructions about our benefits differentiates a lot from what exists on the Internet, and worth the extra costs we incur to support it. Further, we are proud of our track record on this thread to monitor this type of activity and personally respond so future miscommunications do not occur. We also continue to post our contact information -- which all customers receive -- so that members can make an informed decision about how to manage their Veterans Advantage membership directly with us, and to their satisfaction.

Because of the seriousness with which we handle all customer comments, and the direct nature we strive to resolve all of them, we've been able to achieve a hard-earned A+ rating with the BBB. Why the first posting on this thread calls our resolution history, in collaboration with the BBB, "unfortunate" is puzzling, disturbing and damaging to an organization which is actively employing standard practices for high customer service for a group we are very passionate about serving.

Finally, we are grateful for the Veterans Advantage customers who have come to this forum to defend our company. To see consumers going the extra mile to actually *defend* a company on this complaints-only Web site, we feel speaks very clearly about the credibility with which we conduct our business, and how seriously we feel about doing the right thing for our customers.

Respectfully yours,
Veterans Advantage Customer Service
Toll-free: 1-866-838-2774
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   okeferl 0 Votes
I was charged a processing fee of $9.90 on the anniversary of my account activation. Since I had never actually used the account, finding better deals elsewhere, I called to cancel my account, which only meant stopping the payment that is scheduled to occur 30 days after the processing (close to $90). After the account was canceled, I was asked if there was anything else I needed and I said that I would like to be refunded the $9.90 processing fee. Initially, they said it was nonrefundable. I said that that seemed unfair and was again asked if they could help me with anything else. I replied, "only if you can get my money back" and was put on hold. Surprisingly, the operator returned and said that I would be refunded within 8-10 business days. So I guess we will see.
 10th of Sep, 2010 by   kurohyou -1 Votes
I am sorry to say to all of those who are complaining about VA, everything that you are complaining about or bitching about it bogus, everything is listed on the site about any charges, and what the special offers are about and how they work. the whole "I never signed up for this program and I don't know what this is" is a lie, the only way you get signed up for this program is by physically yourself signing up either on the website or calling up the customer service department. I know this because I work for the customer service department of VA as a quality assurance agent, meaning I listen to every call that is recorded and grade an agents knowledge and attitude towards the members that call in and I did CS for a while but got sick of listening to people like you who just bitch about shit and don't let the agents talk and do their job to try and help you and have encountered a number of these kind of situations, the only way that you wouldn't have signed up for it is if you agreed to a discount program when booking a trip through continental or any other travel agency VA offers a discount through or someone took your card and either signed up under your name or used your card without permission, and we take fraud very seriously and have a fraud department specified for checking into any fraud cases and refund all charges if found that you did in fact not sign up for it. so this whole bit is pretty much a bunch of BS. we have an A+ rating with the BBB for any of you who care to actually check the BBB site if not here check it yourself:

so if there are any other questions and or complaints or doubts about VA then give the CS a call and I know that any agent will be able to answer any questions you throw at them and also you may want to remember every call is recorded and monitored and I'll be listening and so won't head quarters.
 24th of Nov, 2010 by   Melanie Chevalier 0 Votes
Wow - if kurohyou is actually an employee of VA - then I DON'T want to purchase membership with them! Using foul language is not part of the customer service attitude. It is indicative of how the CS department treats their customers if the quality assurance agent is this rude. I was actually doing research before signing up because VA actually gets a better discount through Amtrack than AAA. But the 5% discount difference is not worth it if I have to deal with rude people like kurohyou.
 30th of Dec, 2010 by   thandor_nexus 0 Votes
Veterans heard worse than that during thier service. He posted not as an employee but as a civilian that just happens to work for the company. Granted, cussing on the job is bad, but, he wasn't on the job. Whether someone is customer service or not, they are still human. Cussing is part of the human language... get over it.
 22nd of Jun, 2011 by   Cherry Stevenson 0 Votes
I am highly suspicious of the people who claim that they don’t know how they became members or why their Credit Card was charged. Let’s see-First, someone knows that you are a veteran, your branch of service and your service era. Hmm-m-m, Second-along with that they know your address and credit card information. Some of your friends or acquaintances may know some of that info but I would be willing to bet that only a significant other or a family member would know all of it. CLUE: You signed up to get the discount, charged the $4.95 on the CC and forgot to cancel before the 30 days were up. The fees are clearly explained, the phone number, address and webmail are easily located. Yes, intelligent people should read what they are signing up for, and be prepared to follow the process. As for the actual discount, I received as promised a discount from Continental Airlines, a discount that despite what others have implied would not have been available without the Veterans Advantage card number. I searched the net for “Coupon Codes” and none were available at the time.
I actually received more than a 5% discount on my airline tickets. I don’t understand exactly how or what they figure the % on, but I tried reserving the flights with and without the code and the difference between the 2 was more than 5% off the ticket price including the tax and fees. The first time I purchased tickets the discount was 9.5% ($52.30) and the second it was closer to 7% ($28.00). Is it worth the $59 yearly fee? That depends on if you plan to fly or make multiple purchases from the companies offering discounts. It was for me. I fail to understand the problem; did you people want the discounts for free? Exactly how do you think that will work and for how long?
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   wwilson1963 0 Votes
It would be nice to know the income that each of the board members acquires from letting Vet Adv use their names.

Is this intended to be a money making deal or a true service to Vets.
The fact that it charges a fee makes it suspicious
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   wwilson1963 0 Votes
Where do the fees accrued by this organization go?
Is there open disclosure?
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   fucnfgjki +1 Votes
hi, look at your window...
 20th of Jul, 2011 by   bluedenimblonde 0 Votes
I signed up and received a email with my Veterans Advantage number, I read the email and in the FAQ section it said if you want to cancel call or click here. I decided to cancel online since I had signed up online. I filled out the information and selected "I wish to Cancel my membership" from the drop down menu. Three days later my CC was charge the $59.95 yearly fee. When I called and explained the situation, the woman explained that they do not accept cancellations online that it must be done by phone. When I read her my email and gave her the site address, she still seemed confused. I was placed on hold several times and then I was told that the site I was directed to was a customer service, question site, and was not intended for Cancellations. She then told me that they would mail me cancellation paperwork and once I completed it and returned it, they would process my refund. When I complained and mentioned the scam alerts I found here, she offered to process my CC refund immediately. I asked her why if it was possible for her to dothat why didnt she offer me that option in the beginning. Her only explanation was that it was "company policy". In a few says we will see if she actually did it.
 26th of Jul, 2011 by   JudyNM 0 Votes
I did pay for one year of Veterans Advantage, which I used zero times because I quickly learned they are a glorified printed booklet of discounts. To make a long story short, on June 14th I was charged $9.00 which I just learned was for new membership cards (WHO CHARGES FOR MEMBERSHIP CARDS!) and now I find a charge of $89.92 for another years membership. I called to say this was a problem and it seems in the fine print when you join it tells you this is a recurring membership. If they have us veterans best interest in mind they would be more understanding, when one gets up in age it's difficult to remember something like that or have the mind set to read the fine print in the first place. I got the same run around about sending me papers to fill out for a refund to be considered. So I found these complaints and then called my credit card company and they must know of this SCAM because they removed the charge.

JUST CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY IMMEDIATELY!
 5th of Oct, 2011 by   Just4yall 0 Votes
I believe that Veterans Advantage is a scam. I purchased it and used it 1 time. You know why? becuase they have the same discount code that are availible to everyone. All you have to do it search discount code on google for any store you are looking for and bam discount WITHOUT haveing to pay someone for it.

Tips How to Avoid and Report Consumer Fraud