logo

2. (20 mins ago)
DMCI
To aspiring & excited homeowners - BEWARE OF DMCI, Royal Palms
3. (27 mins ago)
Fresh cut bank instrument for lease/SBLC
Fresh cut bank instrument for lease/sale, such as BG,SBLC, MTN, Bank Bonds
4. (52 mins ago)
Nike
Shoes smell like cat urine
5. (54 mins ago)
Chez Moi Studio
Unprofessional manager and unsatisfied purchase!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Snap Fitness Complaints & Reviews - "no contract" , month to month is a LIE

Snap Fitness Contacts & Informations

Snap Fitness

Posted:    exercise cheaper less trouble outdoors

"no contract" , month to month is a LIE

Snap Fitness
They claim "no contract", then make you sign one but tell you orally it is for the key card use, liability for use of the facilities, etc.

TRY (just try) to cancel as I did (sent notice I wasn't going to use gym any longer)and the personal and friendly owner will send you to a collection agency after billing and continuing to bill month after month. All this and they have stopped my access with the keycard that you have to pay for (doesn't HAVE to be returned since it is all computerized and they make you BUY it).

So the key card I bought doesn't work, as it shouldn't since I no longer want to work out there. And I haven't even tried to use it. But they bill me and bill me and then send me to a collection agency for not paying for months that I couldn't use, didn't want to use and didn't pay for. And threats to continue paying unless I show up in person (out of spite from the owner to attempt to humiliate me??)
Comments United States Fitness Centers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of May, 2009 by   noe_joker 0 Votes
Unfortunately, these clubs are independently owned and operated. So, what happens in one club doesn't necessarily means its the standard in the others. Always, always, ALWAYS, read and understand what you are signing, and if you don't understand something... ASK!

Most states have a 3 day grace period after signing a contract, so if there is something you signed to that you don't necessarily agree to, dispute it and void your agreement.

Health clubs are businesses too. Understand if you are not using your gym membership, that doesn't mean the monthly contract disappears into thin air. Unless they hear otherwise, they have to keep the doors open just in case you do come back. If you bounce a payment, change payment information, or something happens to your dues... I'm sure there financial repercussions in your contract.

You are ultimately responsible for your own finances.

A couple of tips for canceling your Snap Fitness membership:

They require a one months notice - so no matter when you cancel, you will be billed one last time the following month for your full dues.

The notice has to be in writing. They do provide forms, however, they take written notices as well. Make sure you get a signed, dated copy of this notice.

Follow-up the last month of your membership to double check it is indeed canceled.

-former satisfied snap member
 14th of Aug, 2009 by   writerwriter +1 Votes
Actually, the Snap Fitness in Antioch, Tenn, was awesome. All I had to do was call and cancel, and I was never billed again.

However, the one I signed up for in Arizona is a completely different story.

After my National Guard unit got the call that they were deploying (I wasn't selected to go), I received a short notice that I was going to be put on orders to help them out. That meant that I would be out of town a lot, and the facility I would report to has its own gym, so I wouldn't need a Snap Fitness membership anymore.

I packed my stuff and rushed out of town to immediately report. On my way out, I called Snap Fitness and told them to cancel my account because I was activated. Unfortunately for me, I did not get a name, I just remember it being a female voice.

I emptied my checking account that the gym withdrew money from (personal issues with the bank). So I didn't notice for two months that they were trying to process a payment with me, until I was able to be back home for a while, in which i deposited some money. After two months non-payment, they took out $104 (with the $35 a month membership fee). Completely unaware, I made purchases which resulted in my account being overdrawn.

I called Snap Fitness here a few times, left a few messages. I've asked them to close my account. I've also emailed the Snap Fitness here, and have yet to hear a response back.

You would think as a "local" gym they would be more understanding and have the time to reach back out to the customer, but this has yet to be shown.
 14th of Oct, 2009 by   John and Joe 0 Votes
Not only do some of the franchises continue with fraudulent billing practices as is the case with the North Highland and Glennwood locations in Atlanta, Ga. But the owner is also involved in discriminatory and harassing tactics towards anyone he feels is someone he wants out of his gym.

My lover and I were harassed and in the end the end he made up some bogus claim about my bf's body ordor as a reason for terminating our membership! Stay away from Snap fitness!
 12th of Nov, 2009 by   DK1123 0 Votes
Snap fitness is a good gym but I will advise anyone not to join because of their billing practices. I had first won my membership in a contest so I had it for 1 year free. I had not worked out or swiped my key card for last month or this month and they just charged my account $35. I explained to them the situation and they refused to take anything off even though I haven't been in there because I didn't cancel a month in advance. This is terrible customer service for a company. I used to be a fan of snap but I will never join again unless this $35 is repaid back to me.
 11th of May, 2010 by   Jo86 -1 Votes
As a Snap Fitness Manager, these complaints come far and wide. Each business nationwide will always have "good" workers and the less fortunate. ALWAYS pay attention to what contract you're signing, and ALWAYS ask questions if you're unclear.

When I am signing up a member, I make 100% sure they are aware of the cancellation policy. WRITTEN notice is required 30 days in advance. I don't know of any other gym in the area that doesn't require this. In fact, 30 days is nothing...we have local gyms that require a 45-60 day notice.

Also, this billing tactic has proven to be most effective. Gyms that do not have control of their billing, do not last more than a year. Customer service should be #1 and it's a sad sad thing to read when other Snap's aren't living up their reputation.

Often times, members forget that they are also responsible for whatever outcome happens. It should be common sense that all things involving money and contracts should be in writing...never ever under any circumstances assume a verbal confirmation is enough.
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   2323 -1 Votes
All you have to do is come in ANYTIME the month before you actually want to be done, and fill out a little form that seriously takes like 30 seconds to write your name and sign and they will stop billing you no questions asked... I couldn't think of an easier system. They let you know thats what you have to do verbally and in writing when you sign up. For all the "angry people" that couldn't figure that out - working out shouldn't be at the top of your priority list because clearly you don't know how to read.
 30th of Jul, 2010 by   arnie swarts noggon -1 Votes
just singed up for a 4 month package willbe leaving countrry at the end of 4 monhs from now, looks like contract starts charging me further monthly the 1st day of month # 5, , , , when i will be gone, , can I pre cancle today and fill out paper work now to have it take effect 30 days before my last month (month 4), then not be charged there after beggining month 5
 21st of Oct, 2010 by   Just Sayin' -1 Votes
At the SnapFitnesses I, or my relatives have worked out at, yes, I signed a contract to be billed once a month, and all I need to cancel was fill out the cancellation form 30 days before moving. I have never heard anyone complain about unnecessary billing.

Now, if you want to talk about fraud, look at the places that lock you in for a 12 month contract that you CANNOT cancel. Or ones that have a low monthly rate, but then charge you an "Annual Rate Gaurantee".
 27th of Dec, 2010 by   open up your eyes -1 Votes
if you've ever tried to purchase health equipment, lets say a tread mill, then you know a treadmill like the ones in a health club are 1, 100 to 1300 dollars. so your paying an extra 35 dollars. it would take them 3 years of billing you to pay for 1 treadmill, and that doesn't count them paying for people to clean your sweat off the machines, or adjust the machines. or how about there power bill, or the building rental. plus they had to pay for franchise. i don't see how they stay in business with the rates they charge. they are trying to make working out affordable for you and you complain because you have to pay 35 dollars at the end of your contract.
 28th of Dec, 2010 by   Supermacho 0 Votes
My wife and I just joined Snap Fitness at a Michigan location. I was buzzed in. The lady at the Front desk said "welcome to snap Fitness how many I help you" A standard business greeting. I asked what would I be billed a month for a joint membership? 49.99 a month. If there is an annual fee? No. What are the sign up fees? waived because of a special. Any other fees? No except the card fees of 10 each one time fee. She went over our agreement we were signing clearly stating that if we choose to cancel, we must give a month notice prior to billing. She was very clear that we would be billed the 1st of the month. Gave us our access cards, kindly showed us around the gym. Asked us if we had any more questions and we were on our way. We came back later that night and worked out for a few hours. I haven't had any major issues, rudeness yet. We will most likely go at night because my wife works 2nd shift and is only able to work out at night on most days. Other then that Snap fitness so far is more affordable then Lifetime Fitness.

The main reason we joined Snap was it is open 24 hours, 365 days a year so we can work out whenever we want to, no annual fee either. As one Poster stated before, most gyms have a hefty annual fee and plus they lock you in for 12 months so you can't cancel until then. Also we don't have the money to purchase thousands of dollars in workout equipment either. Since we are paying the monthly membership fee to a gym, I feel more motivated to go since I know if I don't use it then I am still paying for it regardless. Sorry to others who have had issues with them.. So far we haven't had any and hope to never have any.
 30th of Dec, 2010 by   Just Sayin' -1 Votes
Glad you had a positive experience at your Snap! At the Snap where I work, we have many people who work until 9 or 10, and that is why they join: to have a safe, clean gym to workout in after work.
 3rd of Feb, 2011 by   NOOOO CONTRACT 0 Votes
Let me begin by saying, I am highly educated and do know how to read very well. Therefore, any attempt (like the previous) to insult me as a defense for ripping people off will not work here.

The fact is "no Contract" means NO CONTRACT. I'd suggest you morons trying to insult others go grab a legal dictionary and have someone read it to you. When you are asking someone to sign their name to authorize an auto draft every month and penalizing them for not giving a 3 week notice, that is a CONTRACT.

Besides, Why does it take only one day to set up an auto draft but it takes three weeks to cancel it? Hmmm, sounds strange eh?

So, lets do the math on this: The membership for a month to month is $45 (not to mention the $20 for a plastic card). Multiply by 12 = $540/yr. An average competitor: $32/mth. X 12 = $384 + (giving the benefit of the doubt) $20/yr annual fee = $404

Still over $100 less. Not only is the competition cheaper, but their facility is 4-5 times larger, offers 10X the equipment and other amenities, includes lockers, and have free water fountains. Imagine that, free water fountains at a health club... what a concept! Did you really not think of that SNAP, or is it just another way to make money off your vending machines?

Needless to say, I will not be paying for another month and would not even recommend this place to an enemy. They can take their "no contract" contract and shove it. The transaction will be blocked by my bank regardless of the 3 week notice "contract". Furthermore, i eagerly await any attempts to scar my credit.
 10th of Feb, 2011 by   Supermacho 0 Votes
@ No contract I totally agree with you on the price. I added it up as well it ends up being about 600/year and Snap Fitness isn't even that big. Yes It has machines that I use but the fact that it's small, lacks equipment and also lacks having staff there at times when there needs to be. Like the Snap by my house has someone there from 8am-12pm then from 12-4pm there is no one staffed. They are only there until 8pm. It would be nice to have a staff member there later but the problem is they are always dead in there. They are hardly busy when I go in. So what does that tell me? It tells me that people don't like it. The Snap by my house has a free water machine. They don't have vending machines. I am canceling soon.
 10th of Feb, 2011 by   Supermacho 0 Votes
@Jo86. Well I liked Snap when we first signed up that is until they decided to take more money out of my account then they should have. I called Snap to update my CC information and the girl I spoke with said I was all set for the payment to come out of my account. Well come to find out that a few days later 69.99 comes out of my account. They charged me with a $20.00 fee. That's absurd. I was promised that it was taken care of and the payment would come out. I am not giving them a 3 week notice on change in my cc information when they should be able to change it right there. Needless to say I will be speaking with the Corporate offices of Snap fitness Tomorrow to complain about this company. The Lack of staff there is a complete joke. The location you work at might be better but the one here is a joke. For 49.99/month for 2 people to join is priced pretty high when I can go join a gym down the road and pay 10.00 a month. Snap has lost my business.
 4th of Aug, 2011 by   Annoyed in Toronto 0 Votes
Snap fitness on Roncesvalles avenue in Toronto Ontario Canada. We called and spoke to the owner and asked the policy on cancelling our membership as we had moved out of the area. She advised us of the policy and we promptly complied. 6 weeks later we receive a phantom bill in the mail stating another month had been billed and was past due. They also added a $25 late payment fee. This was completely unknown to my wife and I as we had not been told about the 30 day policy when we spoke to the owner. Had we known we would have just paid and been done with it. The bill was a surprise to us and we figured must be in error so I called and left a message asking for a call back for an explanation. They never returned the call but in the meantime sent us to collection and added another late payment charge. After a second (not so friendly) voicemail I received a callback from a totally useless employee who had no information except to tell me to email the owner. This is now ongoing but I would NOT recommend signing up with this facility. Nothing makes me more irratated than phantom charges and the extreme lack of customer care shows what they really care about. YOUR MONEY. DO NOT JOIN THIS FACILITY.
 17th of Nov, 2011 by   rudedog_9 +1 Votes
I love snap fitness and my month to month rate is much less than stated above. I travel a lot and prefer finding a snap fitness to workout at instead of the lousy hotel fitness centers. Most that I've been to have drinking fountains, although some did not. About half had showers, which I prefer to get clean after my workout immediately, but I do go to my local one without a shower, but it is close to my work, and a good time to fit it in during my lunch hour. I was clearly told that I would have to cancel my membership with a 30 day advance notice. Although a person should read any contract (whether it is listed as a contract or not).
 30th of Jan, 2012 by   RachL14 +1 Votes
I don't know what kind of snap everyone is going too but the one I go to is very nice. Its small but its in a really small town. My boyfriend and I pay 50 dollars a month for both of us which is way cheaper then what I paid for at anytime fitness. Its clean and safe and the drinking fountains are free. Haha never heard of fountains you have to pay for! Not making you sign up for at least 3 months or a year was a huge selling point. I think a 30 day notice for cancellation is completely reasonable. Thats how it was at anytime fitness. We haven't had any issues there and I love it. People complain to much. Read the fine print or don't sign up at all!
 2nd of May, 2012 by   Snap Fitness +1 Votes
Management of a Snap Fitness- I would love to explain how a few things work at Snap Fitness.
*Every Snap Fitness does vary in Customer Service... Equipment...Water fountains...showers...As well as Staff Availabilty!
Example: Not every walmart is going to have to same as every other one..

*30 Day CANCELLATION: Is told to member when signing...if for any reason staff has not told member it is clearly stated on AGREEMENT. As a past customer I believe that it is a reasonable time to let a business know you will no longer need services.
-This is one issue that ALOT of people misunderstand "If they dont go for 2, 3, 4, months that they should not have to pay" Let me explain this clearly if you do not let us know you no longer want to be a member, your debit info is in our computer to draft and will not stop until you give a written notice.
 2nd of Jul, 2012 by   Unhappy in KY 0 Votes
Just had to contact my bank and put a FRAUD ALERT on Snap Fitness and block them from any future charges. The gym is great it is just when you go to cancel your membership is when you run into problems. Yes, written notice was given to corporate and the local location, confirmation was received that our membership would be cancelled. Well lo' and behold we were charged AGAIN today. Needless to say I will be contacting the BBB.
 21st of Oct, 2013 by   you know whoo 0 Votes
Snap Fitness has rude employees.. at least the ones her in Winnipeg (Charleswood) .. the receptionist threatened to kill me and made racial slurs about my Asian wife.. how a company can hire ppl like this is beyond me.. but then again the owner of the company is not exactly a model citizen either.. ppl would be better off joining the YMCA!!

More Signs of Mortgage Aid Foreclosure Rescue Scams