Sheer Cover

Posted:

Make-up from Hell!

Guthy Renker LLC
sheercover.com
So there I was one evening at 3 AM watching infomercials (never going to do it again as it apprehends my judgement) and after this 60 minute infomercial I was convinced that Sheer Cover is the only thing in existance that would make me appear to have flawless skin. So I called in and ordered the product.

I ordered the RUSH delivery, which was an additional $10 or so, so that it would arrive within a few days. I didn't get for 3 weeks AND I was still charged for the RUSH delivery. I wasn't too upset over that so I let it slide.

I hurried inside my house like a little girl, so excited to test my new, pretty make up. After carefully following all of the instructions, I looked in the mirror and I've never been more displeased. For starters, the pores on my face felt like they were being suffocated! The powder is VERY cakey and I ended up looking like a hideous pageant reject. Needless to say, I felt utterly stupid for actually falling for the ad. I picked up the letter to find the number to call back (which includes, in very small print, an agreement between you and Guthy Renker that a new shipment will arrive and charge you $60 within 30 or so days) and MAN! The girl on the line was acting as though I had just ran over her pet dog! "WHY would you want to return this marvelous product?" "(ahem) you probably didn't follow the instructions correctly." "how about you try this out a couple of more times and see how you like it?" UH, NO!!! I wouldn't want to subject myself, my skin, or my mirror to that humilition again.

Then she didn't give me an exact date on when I needed to return it. "30 days from when you received it."
Right, but I was away on a trip so I don't know which day it arrived, exactly. "30 days from when you received it." UGH!! So I sent it back the next day and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, I don't receive another withdrawl from my account. If that does happen, I can assure anyone who is reading this and all of the complacent reps at Guthy Renker that I will RAISE HELL.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Cosmetics
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

30th of Sep, 2008 by    +2 Votes
I have been using sheer cover for years. I have large pores and love the way it makes my face look so smooth. If you put too much on, it will look cakey. You need very little of this and it goes a long way. I will never 'go back to using regular foundation. I wish they would have had this product when I was in my 20's. I started using it in my late 40's. I will admit I did try buying other brands when I ran out. I tried Jane, Neutrogena, Loreal, Avon, Wet n'Wild. But when it comes down to it, this mineral foundations texture is very smooth. Some of the other brands where grainy in texture. This is the best of the best as far as I am concerned. I also got put on the auto ship program. When I called them to tell them to take it back and send me a return label, they did so without any problem and received a full refund. The product goes a long way. I know that the starter kit lasted me at least 3 months.
 29th of Jun, 2009 by    +1 Votes
The other day I received an invoice originate from Guthy-Renker Claiming I own monies for sheer cover - I never made a purchase for this item or have I received anything

I looked up the website for Guthy - Renker where invoice originat from, they seem to be owner/ manager for several skin care products
A Company who likes to rip off people - Issuing billing for none existing sales.
If you need to contact CEO or President of this operation look up Guthy_Renker P O Box 11448 Des Monies IA 50336-1448
Billing received asked for my current credit card number for payment and for additional shipping - Be careful this company can rip off your credit card.
Best not to purchase anything that is promoted through the TV as they manager/own all skin care lines
 29th of Jun, 2009 by    +1 Votes

I looked up the website for Guthy - Renker they seem to be owners/ managers for several skin care products
Billing received asked for my current credit card number for payment and for additional shipping - Be careful this company can rip of your credit card.
Best not to purchase anything that is promoted through the TV - They represent almost all skin care products promoted by TV
 12th of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Angela - I agree. I ordered ONE MONTH of the Sheer Cover and Vitamins. This, after not liking the product 3 years ago, but after watching another of their infomercials, I fell prey to their claims.
The shipment came and I accepted it, never expecting to receive any other. I STILL didn't like the mineral makeup - it just lays on top of my skin, and I can never get the correct color. A couple of months later, I receive another shipment of vitamins and sheer cover. I wrote REfFSED on both and put them back in mailbox. When my credits for my returns didn't show on my account, I had to call them to find out why. They said I was put on the auto order status, even tho when I ordered the items, I specifically said ONE TIME ONLY! I had to beg for the credits, and even then I was NOT given a credit for the shipping on the vitamins - they said I never cancelled my account.
Now, July 15th I received aANOTHER sheer cover box. I called 8-11-9 for my refund - they show that they never had a request to close my account. CRAP! And today, on my account (this is my checking account, mind you) there is a charge for $29.95! I called S.C. AGAIN, and they don't even see that charge on their end -can I please fax them a copy of that charge!!!
THEY are shifty and full of _____! DO NOT USE THEM!
 3rd of Sep, 2009 by    +1 Votes
it works okay but they took all my money and have not gave half back i keep calling and sending letters but no one will contact me! i never want to buy anything from them again!! they will rip you off...for sure!
 13th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sheer Cover - Robbery

Same here! I was charged $97 today. When I told them yesterday to cancel my order! I was told by a rep, we are sorry we can't do anything, because this was shipped yesterday! I can't believe Lizza Gibbons is with this company!
There product doesn't work, it is flaky and make you look like you have peeling dried skin.
 4th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sheer Cover - No produce received & Billing Fraud
Washington

I used this product in the past and liked it a lot, but then stoppped because I could not afford it, never paying attention to my statements, I purchased this product again last month thinking I was only going to be charged $ 29.95 a month. The first bill came and that's all I was charged and yesterday I looked at my statement and was billed $ 97.84 for more products that I have not even received...
 5th of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Well, just so you know, it like many cosmetic/skincare products you order online, enrolls you in a home-delivery program where you are sent the products every so many weeks/months (often 3 months) and are charged an amount for the product per month, but billed in the 3-month increments. So you get your trial that is usually a month or so worth of product, then usually a few weeks after that, they bill you for 3-months worth and send you your 3-months worth of product. My guess is that the product is on its way to you. These terms are outlined on their websites and you can cancel anytime. If fact, you can also often change how often it is delivered by just letting them know. So I understand your frustration if you were surprised by the charges, but it is up to the consumer to check what they are signing up for. Oh - I should mention, I don't work for Sheer Cover or any other cosmetic/skincare company for that matter. I just know from experience that this is how they work.
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Wowwww...I guess I won't be ordering the stuff. I'm just still suprised by all the celebs, they got backing them up. This is crazyyyy!
 24th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
We were watching an infomercial and decided to try the intro offer for ONE MONTH-less than a month later there was a $97.84 automatic withdrawal from our account!!! I called and canceled the order the day before and the gal I spoke to said it was too late to stop the charge to the account as the order had already been processed. Well they hadn't charged the account when I originally canceled the order so why charge the account the next day? She said I would have to return the product and then they could process the refund but they would have to have the product returned first.Then it would take up to 8 weeks to have the money returned to my account. I said No-just don't withdraw money from my account and I could send the product back to them. Her response again was that the order had already been processed so I asked how much would be taken out of the account and was told $37 and some odd cents. So fine I'll play their silly little game and wait for the $37 refund then I check my account the next day and the assholes had taken out almost $100. Not cool!! Not waiting 8 weeks for that kind of money to be returned to my account!! What the hell!! So I call again and this gal was trying to be cool about it and assured me that the $97.84 would be refunded in 3-5 business days and I can return the product to them when it arrives!! Ya think!!! We'll see what happens. I spoke to Gina the second time-let's see what direction her moral compass points in. You may hear more from me in 3-5 business days!!
 1st of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Guthy-Renker, LLC.
41-550 Eclectic St, Ste 200
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Direct: (760) 773-9022
Toll Free: (800) 274-4910 x 0 (zero)
WEB: www.guthy-renker.com
 1st of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
i work for the kiosk comapny who sells proactiv and sheer cover in local malls...may I suggest to all you sheer cover ladies...go to the local Proactiv booth at the mall, ask for a sheer cover makeover to try it out, then if you like it buy it!!...ours in our mall, the starter kit is only $40...try that out!!
 1st of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I will emphasize that if ANYONE is having serious issues with Guthy-Renker, you should immediately call the Corporate Office. If you're unsure as to which product Guthy-Renker markets, here is a complete list:

- Proactiv Solution
- Midnight Special
- Scalp Med
- Ultimate Edge / Power Talk by Tony Robbins
- Skinny Switch Secret

For more information, visit www.guthy-renker.com.

If you're having serious account issues with any of GR products, call their Corporate Offices at (800) 274-4910 extension 0 (zero) for Consumer Affairs, leave a message if no one answers. Hours: 9am-5pm M-F Pacific Time.
Their non-toll free number is 1-760-773-9022, when the recording prompts you to say for whom you're calling, just say "Customer Relations" and leave a message. I also suggest that you contact Renee Miller at GR-Corporate, she has been very helpful. Whether you call the toll free or 760 number, enter Renee's extension# 5517 - she's in the office during their office hours mentioned above. I hope this helps.
 14th of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I wish I would have found this sight before ordering this product. This product is mostly just hype and long story I'll just leave it at that. I am having serious issues and appreciate the numbers you have provided, that is what I was looking for since I could not find it on thier sight. Now the fight for my money back will begin,

Christie Postema

Rae15000@yahoo.com
 15th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I actually like the mineral foundation. I have used bare minerals and sheer cover. I actually prefer sheer cover because it does provide more coverage and looks better in pictures. I just get annoyed that you can only buy it through their website under a restricted membership. I will look for it at the mall though! Thanks
 22nd of Jan, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I love Sheer Cover. There isn't one product that is going to be perfect for everyone but this one is perfect for me. It covers my age spots, it's light weight and doesn't make me break out. I use Proactiv as well and didn't even realize it was the same company. I'm very happy with the product and the service. Sorry to hear that others have struggled.
 27th of Jan, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I have been using Sheer Cover for years and I love it! If you use too much of the concealer then it will get cakey. I like it because its light and doesnt feel like you have anything on. I first ordered from the commercial, and then a month later got charged again so I called and she said that I signed up to pay $30 a month and get more every 3 months. That did make me mad because I didnt sign up for that nor did anyone tell me that, I cant stand the sneakyness off it. Anyway I cancelled and told her I would call back wen I wanted more and she said ok. Now I order online and it works better I think.
But I LOVE the makeup!!
 30th of Jan, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I too have been a SheerCover user for several years. I love the product (and have referred several friends and family members, who have now become loyal, long term customers) and have always had the greatest results with their customer service representatives.

Keep in mind there are always bad apples everywhere you go and companies don't always know who they are in order to replace them (people simply like to complain publicly but do nothing to remedy the actual problem).

There are also genuine mistakes (these are humans on the phone, not computers. Mistakes will happen). Think of the mistakes you have made in the past (large and small). Would you like to be judged simply by your few mistakes or by the many things that you do right?

Think logically.
 31st of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Oh my God...I was watching infomercials at 4am and got sucked in too. I told them in no uncertain terms (JUST ONE SHIPMENT) I hope I do not have additional charges going to my credit card!!! I had to pay more for one shipment because I did not want future shipments before I even know if I like it or not/ I am saving this in my favorites so I will know who to raise Hell with if they charge me again. I have already been burned once on TV ads and I should have learned!!! But ooohhh noooo not me. Should have checked out this site first. No more ideas at 4am...I'll just read a book. I sure hope I at least like the product. It sure cost enough.
Neutral for now...
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I too fell victim to their billing scam where they charged me 97.00 after my first shipment arrived (after already paying for the first order) - they do NOT state they will charge you further in the ad. When I called they said the only way I could get a refund for the 97.00 was to send the product back - well I didn't receive the product for several weeks and then they kept saying it would take 8 weeks to credit my credit card back. The makeup is NOT good quality. My advice: always use your credit card to make purchases - I disputed the charges with my credit card co and my account was instantly credited - and I didn't have to wait for them to do it. Don't EVER give a company access to your checking account. You can dispute the charges with your bank if you have problems but you have more protection against unauthorized charges with a credit card.

Contact Us