Customer Service Department

Hoffman Estates, Illinois 60179

Attn: Advocate & Corporate
Complaint Department RE: Customer Service

To Whom It May Concern:

During these hard economic times, I found it necessary to purchase a new Dishwasher and Refrigerator. The appliances I had were over 20 years old and were not energy efficient items.

As I have done in the past, I researched the products and looked for discounts. I have owned Kenmore appliances in the past, and found the items that I wanted to purchase were top rated products recommended by www.consumerreport.com.

After my research, I decided to purchase appliances at Sears. On August 13, 2008, I purchased two items totaling $2, 439.57. Quite a substantial amount.

The Salesman, Eddie Barajas, did a wonderful job, as I had to call him a few times with measurement questions, and he was extremely helpful. After I purchased the items, I left the store feeling that I would definitely purchase other items from him in the future.

After discussion of delivery, I was told that I would be contacted within 72 hours with the date and times for delivery. I was concerned about having the deliveries too close, as I have a small kitchen, and did not want to have many delivery people in my home at once. Also, I have a large dog, and during hot weather, do not want him outside too long. I asked for delivery on a Wednesday or Thursday. My salesman told me that I could discuss this with the delivery department and would not have any problems, as the items were available at the local warehouse.

Within the 72 hour period, I was contacted by a company named Service Bench, to schedule the dishwasher installation, which was agreed upon. I was not contacted for the refrigerator delivery during that 72 hour period.

On Monday, August 18, I called Sears delivery at 800-732-7747, and I was told that the “Freezer” that I purchased was delivered on August 15, 2008. I told the person that I had purchased a Dishwasher and Refrigerator, not a Freezer and she advised me that the purchase was not in the computer. That evening I arrived home to have two messages from Sears delivery. One message scheduled the Refrigerator delivery for August 20, 2008, between 2 P.M. and 4 P.M., the Dishwasher was scheduled for August 20, 2008, between 3 P.M. and 5 P.M. I immediately called the automated system to verify, then talked to a person, and was advised to call after 6 P.M. for times.

I was a concerned that the deliveries would overlap and called the 1-800 number after 6 P.M., only to reach a recording. Finally, I reached a person who said to call after 9 P.M. and scheduling would be modified. Again, after 9 P.M., I called repeatedly, only to reach a recorded message. By this time I stopped calling. I only hoped that the day of delivery I would have adequate time to prepare for the two deliveries.

On Wednesday, August 20, 2008, around 11:30 A.M., I was contacted by the delivery men, asking permission to delivery the refrigerator early, as they were in the area. I was doing a project and told him that I needed time to empty out the old refrigerator, freezer, and clean the floor, cabinets and walls. I scrambled to get the items out of the freezer, when I discovered they were at my door. I had to get my dog out into the back yard and get two coolers from my garage for food storage.

The men seemed to be in a hurry, since they were ahead of schedule, and had the new refrigerator at my front door before I was ready for them. I was trying to work as fast as I could to empty and clean, and unfortunately left some items on one of the doors of the old refrigerator.

I pulled out the old refrigerator to clean, and they were standing there watching, not even an offer to help. I vacuumed and barely had time to mop the floor, while they were ushering me out of the way to move away the old appliance. I told them to be careful of the slate floor, as it will scratch. They were tilting it and I said “watch out”, then I knew the slate was scratched.

Meanwhile, I was unaware that I had left items in the refrigerator, and the men did not check or ask me to double check. I feel as though I was so rushed, I did not have the appropriate time to prepare. This was my main concern at the time of purchase, and it was happening.

As the Sears truck was leaving, another truck was backing up into my driveway, with the dishwasher. The time was approximately 1:30 P.M.

As the new dishwasher was being brought into my home, the old dishwasher was being disconnected and a tool chest was placed in the kitchen, therefore, I had no place to stand and put items in the refrigerator. I told the man that I wanted to clean under the area, and he said that would be no problem. He picked up some glass, screws and larger items himself, and then I was able to vacuum the dirt and cobwebs.

While I was in the kitchen, putting food items into the freezer before they melted, I realized some items were missing. I went through my coolers and could not find my RX and other items. I immediately called Sears delivery department and was told that the delivery truck was still out, and that I would receive a call from them within the hour. By this time, it was around 2:30 P.M., as the dishwasher people were still here.

During the call, I told Sears that I had neglected to get two prescriptions that needed refrigerated, and I needed the Pharmacy name and RX numbers so I could replace them, as they were expensive.

By 6 P.M., I had still not received a call, again calling customer service, only to listen to a recording. By now I had discovered just how many items were still on the door of the old refrigerator.

The following morning, August 21, 2008, I started calling customer service at around 10 A.M., and by 3:30 P.M., I had talked to 13 people! Two out of the 13 that I talked to offered me a $50.00 gift card and I was told to call the Sears Corporate Advocate and Customer Complaint Department at 800-795-5030 for food compensation. I then decided to wait until my next day off, as this was beginning to frustrate me.

Thursday morning, August 27, 2008, I had the unfortunate opportunity to talk to a woman who said her name was Tina, #563536. She is supposed to be the Advocate for the Complaint department. She was rude, unprofessional, continued to interrupt me as I spoke and down right awful and unhelpful!

I explained to her the situation, as it happened, about the prescriptions and food items; and that someone, during all the conversations with Customer Service, had told me that I would be reimbursed for the food items. She consistently badgered me about who, and how and did I get the misinformation about reimbursement for food items, as this is not policy, and what telephone numbers I had called .

I tried to tell her the names and ID numbers of the people I had talked to and she continued to tell me that she was going to hang up on me. Then I tried to describe the food items to her and she, again, stated that she was going to hang up on me.

I have been in Customer Service for over 35 years, and in all these years, I have learned how to listen and make sure the customer is finished venting before speaking. Had I been that rude, I would surely be out of a job!

The people I talked to from Sears on August 21, 2008, were:

Jack #24201 Unit Supervisor
Randy, Amanda, Clarisa #24201, Lei, John, Jack
Tenesya ##82013, Yuvan #1047
John #1112, Donnecia #79803 (very helpful)
Tina #563536 was the person I talked to on August 27, 2008.
Unfortunately, for me, I did not get every ID number.

Last Thursday, August 21, 2008 I called home delivery, at 1-800-732-7747, and was told that the old appliances were at a warehouse and was given 702-259-4200 to check if the appliances were still there. By now, frantic about the RX, I knew they had begun to spoil and I needed the information.

The girl I talked to informed me that the refrigerator was at Jaco
702-478-8015. Again, I was informed that the GE refrigerator was not there or may have already been shipped.

Now, I feel as though I am entitled to some sort of financial reimbursement. As for all the items that were left to spoil, for the prescriptions that I tried and tried and failed to acquire and mostly for all the unnecessary stress. My husband has been out of work most of the past two years, due to surgeries, and I do not have the $100.00 or more to replace the following food items:

Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Chinese Mustard, Pine nuts, Two prescriptions @ $25.00 each, 5 bottles of Salad Dressing, Soy Sauce, Artichoke Cream Cheese Dip, 1 Box of Arm and Hammer Kitchen Baking Soda, Lemon Juice, One bottle of Marinara Sauce, Clam Juice, Clamato Juice, Coffee, Olives, Sweet & Sour Marinade, Vermouth, Teriyaki Sauce, and Two bottles of Salad Spritzers. Many of these items are not used on a daily basis, therefore it will be quite expensive to replace them.

I do not believe that I am being unreasonable in asking for compensation or a gift card to Vons, Albertsons, Smiths, all Nevada grocery stores, as I did what was required, in writing, by me for this delivery. I did not read anywhere that It was all my responsibility to have everything out of my refrigerator, although, had I had the appropriate amount of time or consideration I would not be writing this letter of complaint. I did everything in my power to talk to the various representatives from Sears for a solution, only to be passed on to another and another and another and another, finally to Tina to be told, basically, that I “was getting nothing!”

I am not asking for compensation for the scratches on the slate floor, as I know I can buff them out. I am asking for monetary help.

Unfortunately, you have lost a loyal Sears Customer of over 35 years, and I will notify all family members and friends of this unfortunate Customer Service Nightmare.

Margaret Stayen
3608 Broxburn Street
Las Vegas, NV 89108

Cc: Illinois Attorney General, Lisa Madigan
Nevada Attorney General
Clark County Better Business Bureau
Clark County Consumer Affairs
www.consumeraffairs, .com www.complaintsboardcom
Complaint comments Comments (1012) Complaint country United States Complaint category Airlines

1st of Sep, 2006 by    0 Votes

Sears Kemore Washer - I got a lemon!

I bought a sears kemore washer on 10-7-04. I have had three repairmen out here and i had to call again and he is coming Monday. I have asked for a new washer and i don't get any response. I got a lemon! I will never buy another thing from Sears, and i will never buy another kenmore washer.

Betty from illinois
 18th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears Home Repair - Refused to repair double oven

I was not very happy when my new, Kenmore Elite double oven was not working. I called Sears Repair service who scheduled an appointment within a week. When they came out, they said that the reason my top oven wasn't working was a faulty board that they had to order. Two weeks later when the board arrived, another appointment was made. The second (different) service guy came and said that it was not the problem but a thermocouple was the issue. He then ordered that part. Two weeks later, the next service guy called to tell me that I must hire an electrician to remove the power cord so that he could pull the oven out far enough to install the part. I had thought that if a repair was to be made, the service guy (within reason) was supposed to make those arrangements. The service guy then refused to do the repair until I hired an electrician. He said that this wasn't his job to do that kind of work. I ended up going to the main store in my area where I purchased the unit and talking with the manager. He ended up giving me a new oven! I was very happy with that, but after spending over $2000, I shouldn't have had all those issues with the service people.
 3rd of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
How old is this machine and how long was the warranty?
 14th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears / Lgh - Sears bad in store service and delivery

I read the complaint from the gentleman who bought several appliances from sears. I was warned by friends and family that sears really was bad at getting the order right the delivery right etc. I have been living overseas with my husband who is serving the USNavy in Spain and I bought a new home and wanted to get things together before my family arrived back in the states. My experience with sears was horrible, they where rude in the store, delivered the wrong merchandise twice and on the third try delivered damaged merchandise.

I have yet to be compensated for the total lack of customer service and no one and I mean no one says they are sorry for the mess sears has made. I have tried calling and get the run around constantly. I have tried getting the phone # for Edward Lampert the #61 on the US's richest men but he apparently with his entire board and upper mangers don't talk on the phone (this information I received from Shirley at Corporate HG. She told me they have done all the talking on the phone for the day they where going to do.

All I want is for someone to acknowledge the problem, resolve it and tell me that they will compensate me for all my time and inconvenience. Apparently Sears Upper Mangers, and Boards think the rest of us in the US don't work or our time is less valuable then theirs, because I know they surely wouldn't tolerate the kind of customer service I have received from Sears

I will not be purchasing anymore items for my home from Sears and I recommend to all other to do the same. Boycott SEARS until they start having more respect for the loyal customers and begin to make management more accountable for those errors.

Sears Board members and Mr. Lampert, perhaps you better start taking these issues and problems more seriously. My recent visit to sears indicated you have very little business to begin with, you really can't afford to lose more customers, Or maybe you don't give a darn, Sears goes belly up the only people who suffer are you employees, that I am sure are underpaid and overworked. Management might think about spending more time working with customers and employees alike so they actually know where the problems are in the store.
 28th of Jun, 2007 by    -1 Votes

Sears / Amana Refrigerator - Horrible service

After spending a lot of money ( $1,000) on a new refrigerator only 3 years ago, it has gone out. I called when it quit cooling, Friday, June 22nd, to schedule service with Sears (where I purchased an extended warranty) and they could not service it for and entire week. The first available (June 29th) Needless to say, I have lost all of my food and have been living out of a cooler for a week! I cannot believe that a company as large as Sears does not have anybody to service a refrigerator for 7 days! I had 2 other qualified refrigeration companies that could have serviced my fridge on Monday but they could not touch the thing because my warranty is with Sears! I will no longer purchase any warranty through Sears. It will be through the company of the actual appliance!
 25th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears - Kenmore Elite H3 Washer - Staining white and light colored clothes

My Kenmore Elite H3 is staining my white and light colored clothes. I have had the machines for 5 or 6 years and have had no problem until recently. I got on the internet and found this is a common occurrence with this product. What should I do? These are expensive machines and I don't think I should have to purchase new ones. What course of action should I take? Will Sears make good on this or not? I have contacted them as well as Consumer Reports. I have not heard anything from them as of now.

Tonya Waldroop
 5th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears - Delivery is free because it takes two weeks!

I ordered a washer and dryer from sears about two weeks ago and still i am sitting here w/only a washer... the first problem they had was they said that the dryer got banged up so they were getting another one this was on a tuesday they said it would be the next tuesday before we got a new one. Well the next tuesday rolls around and they told us it would be friday before they could get it over here. I'm just SO sick and tired of Sears and this is the first appliances i ever got from there it'll also be the last!!!
 10th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

sears.com - Poor service!

For the second time, attempting to place orders from the Sears.com website, I've waited up to 4 days to find out that the product is not available. All the while, the sears website says that the product is available and ready to be delivered. The website gives you the opportunity to check for availability for a specific zipcode, it does the check, and tells me that the product is available. I emailed the sears.com website administrator, and was told that they have no way of checking specific stores. Why then have the function available, all the while constantly creating confusion and frustration for would-be customers? It's extremely deceitful and makes for very bad experiences with this company. I do not recommend attempting to place orders from their website!
 14th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears - Poor quality product!

I bought 4 gasmatic shocks for my vehicle, we installed them ourselves, 3 were good and one leaked. I took this shock back within the warranty agreement, which is 5 years or 60,000 miles, the shock was only on the vehicle for 3 months. I was told they did not have any in stock, the manager called all the Sears stores and no one had them in stock. He said he would order one which would take about 5 to 7 days, how could we drive this car with 3 shocks. When I asked if he could upgrade to the next level up, he told me no with an attitude, he also told me I live in Brunswick, so go to Autozone and buy 4 shocks and bring ours back. I was shocked to hear a manager talk to a customer in this tone. The manager of the Westfield Mall in Strongsville Ohio, his name was Rick, he would not give me his last name.

I really thought Sears would like to satisfy there customers,, guess not. We will not shop there again.
 15th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

sears.com - Poor service!

I purchased a Stove on 08/31/2007 at Sears.com. I received all of the appropriate E-mails that assured me my Order was processed, scheduled for delivery and installation. From that point on, it has been a nightmare. My delivery was rescheduled three different times and installation was scheduled with a contractor in Oahu Hawaii. Mind you, I live in Everett Wash. Each time I received a new delivery date I replied to the installation confirmation E-mail to let installation know the date had changed just so nothing would slip through the cracks. I received no reply, so I called customer care. They said they could not answer any questions regarding installation and gave me a number to call. I called the number and it was no longer in service. I found a number on the E-mail I received from installation and they said , "Sorry, we can't help you and they gave me the customer care number. Finally, I got someone to tell me in customer care that Sears is scheduled to do the installation and everything is fine , don't worry and she issued me a 50.00 credit, which I have yet to receive. I also received an E-mail that I would receive a 25.00 gift certificate after the first delay and haven't. My stove was finally delivered, but no installation was scheduled. Really, at this point they don't need to care and they don't. They have my money. I spent hours waiting in phones ques now and talking with different representatives of Sears and no one cares. It is costing me money to try and solve this and not one person has step up to the plate. Customer care has not tried to solve my problem, they have passed the buck over and over again. At every step the buck has been passed. No one should buy on Sears.com. It is a nightmare!
 23rd of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears - Craftsman Cordless Tools - Defective products, poor service

Two years ago, I got a set of Craftsman cordless tools from Sears. Recently the battery charger became defective and I tried to buy another one.

After going to 3 different stores (including the parts and repair place) I was told that these tools were no longer supported by Sears and I could not obtain a battery charger. This means that I have a whole box of cordless tools that cannot ever be used again. These tools are only 2 years old for Pete's sake!!!! When I called the 800 number, I was told that the only thing I could do was to go to a Sears store and ask them if they could give me a discount on a new set of cordless tools. When I did this, I was totally embarrassed and humiliated by the sales manager. You would have thought that I was asking for one of his kidneys or something. I immediately left Sears and went to Home Depot where I spent over $500.00 on a set of Ryobi cordless tools. Sears has lost a customer for life.
 26th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears / Top Stove - Do not honor warrantee

Sears warranty

I need to have my top stove that is under Sears warranty fixed. I have called Sears and set up an appointment with a Technician. The first time the Technician came to my home I explained that my stove top has scratches mainly in the area where you turn the knobs. I also showed him how you can't notice the scratches until you put on the hood light which I just installed and called Sear immediately as soon as I notice it. I told him that it was either purchased with the scratches or when Sear installed the stove top it got damaged. He stormed out and claimed he would have to speak with his supervisor Kevin Norris 732-886-8814. He said that I will get a call from Sears. After waiting for a week I called up I ask to speak with Mr. Norris they said he was on vacation I requested to speak to his manager and they said that he had no Manager. I finally received a phone message that stated I would have to buy a new stove top that they are not going to repair it because I didn't call them after a month.

I then called up the warrantee explained that I did not install the stove top until my counter was put in. I then called Sears and had them install it. I looked around for a long time and finally found a hood range that would fit. I purchased the Hood from Sears and did not install it right away I shopped around to find someone to install the hood top which came with a vent and lighting. Finally I had it installed and that is when I notice that the scratches where on the cook top. I immediately call the warrantee Department they told me that even though I didn't put in a claim right away my warrantee covered cosmetics and it was good for two more years. They made an appointment for the Technician to come out and service me. The Technician came out and used a scratch pad and made matters worst he ran out and said he had to talk to his supervisor. I called many times and no one ever answered the phone. I then wrote to the corporate office on July 18, with a complaint that Service played for not being provided. I then proceeded to call the customer service department at 1 800 827 6655 the office personnel stated that they could not do anything for me. On July 24, 2007. I received an apology letter for the inconvenience this may have caused, and would be happy to schedule a service appointment, or discuss the concern regarding your recent service experience with you. Tracking number: UT20070723_0000006086. I then proceeded to call again this time I spoke an employee who got in-touch with Mr. Norris which I may add took a long time and he exclaimed he was on the phone with another customer. Then she left me on hold with Mr. Norris feeling she had resolved the problem Mr. Norris never answered the phone an hanged up on me I called again and spoke to Robert in Recover he was going to find a district manager to help resolve this issue. He told me I would have an answer with-in 48 hours. I did not receive an answer. I called again and to a girl and she told me that I would get an answer in 48 hours also but, never did. I called again this time I spoke to Dorothy I.D. 51166 who told me that she could and would not do anything to help me that I would have to get Kevin Norris to give the O.K. She stated that I should have had it reported with-in one month. I explained how could I report it if I did not see it the damages. Then she said she had no manager that I could talk to and stated well when you bought the vent you should have reported it. Once again I had to explain I bought the vent but had to wait for someone to install it and it didn't happen right away besides don't I have it insurance warrantee and it states I have cosmetic coverage. Her answer was if my stove top would have been peeling then she could do something about it. I need to either get the warrantee department or the technician supervisor. I exclaimed that is why I am calling the cooperate office to get help. As a consumer do not understand how a Sears's corporate office has given their employee so much power and I keep falling on death ears.

All I know as a consumer I am not being provided with coverage on warrantee I have paid for. I also know that I did not create the damages and Sears's employees do not want to take on this responsibility. What do you do when departments have you going in a circle. They are paying more money to avoid the issue than to take care of it.

Jo-Ann Bertrani
631 630-4207 Day Phone
718 445-8666 Home Phone
 23rd of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears / Kenmore - Freezing food

Frig set at recommended settings the vegetable and meat drawers are at or below freezing (30 to 32degrees) Had multiple service calls with so called fixes and still have problem. Set frig to max and the veg compartment will only rise one or two degrees. The damper at the top of the frig clicks and clacks all the time. This part has been replaced 3 times and still have the problem. Sears has no ideas except to send a different person each time. Maybe they think they will wear us out. If you have a Kenmore Elite with french doors keep a maintenance agreement on it because you will be making a lot of service calls.
 5th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears / A & E Factory Service - Extremely poor customer service

The heating element on our Maytag Neptune dryer stopped working. It has taken 3 service visits and multiple parts to have them tell me that they don't think the dryer is the problem... they say there isn't enough electricity coming out of the outlet to power the heating element. Funny, there has been enough for 2 dryers in the last 13 years! Why couldn't they figure this out of the first visit? I would have saved $160 in service calls and probably the same amount in parts...
 6th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears / Ge Microwave Oven - Two and half months no repair was done

I bought this Microwave Oven along with extended Warranty last October. It is broken in August 2007. I called them immediately and they said some one will call and schedule an appointment to get it repaired but no one called. After repeated calls and escalations end of September a very nice technician showed up and said it needs some part that might needed to be ordered. it is over six weeks now and I am still calling Sears every week and no one is able to give a status. How can an American family survive 3 months without a Microwave?

Sears harassed us to buy the extended warranty on every gadget that we bought with them and said they have 90 days to do so. They did not extend the same service when needed. This will be the last of my Sears purchase. We learnt our lesson and very dissatisfied with the level of service.
 16th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears / A & E Factory Service - Extremely poor customer service
Sears/A&E Factory Service

I currently have a inoperable dishwasher and an inoperable washing machine. Each time I call to schedule repair service, they give me a "first available" appointment that is always two weeks out from the date I am calling. I am told that I must be available between the hours of 8am and 5pm and that if they try to contact me and I they can't get me, my appointment will be canceled. Luckily, I work from my home, otherwise I would have missed 4 full days of work for dishwasher repairs alone. Yes, four. The first man said he knew what the problem was, ordered a part and yes, I waited two weeks for it. When that part came, he installed it and left. I used the dishwasher and it was still leaking. I call again and get the same response. First available appt. is two weeks out. That man comes, tells me he is 100% sure what the problem is. Another part ordered, two more weeks. He installs the new O-rings - guess what. More leaking. A man came again yesterday, spent two hours in my home running the dishwasher. It did not leak while he was here but he ordered another part. Still I do not have a working dishwasher.

Yesterday I had a flood in my laundry room and my washing machine is indicating there is a motor problem. I call for Maytag service and they use A & E Factory Service. Again, first available appt. is 2 weeks out.

Last week my treadmill stopped working. You guessed it - first available appt. is two weeks out. If I was working outside the home, it would be cheaper to go out and buy all new appliances than to take work days off without pay. I can't work out, wash my dishes or wash my laundry without great inconvenience. This is not customer service.
 25th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
I guess I was right, Sears does not care about the satisfaction they provide for their customers.
 28th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

Sears - Rip off!
5279 star mtn. rd.
Phone: 8704483048

I ordered a burner bake for by oven on Dec. 8 th. They sent me the parts in 8 or 9 days.When I received the parts, the igniter was broke (the porcealan). So I called sears They send a call slip to pick up the part through u.p.s. in 2 days,they pick it up. Dec. 11 th.Dec 24 th. I receive the new part. It doesn't work, the electrical end is female so is my stove fitting. So I call them, They say the"ll send another call slip to pick it up. Then I'll have to wait tell they receive it. Then call to see if they've got it so they can issue me a credit, then I have to re-order the right part.On Dec.27 th. I call to see why they haven't picked up my part? I'm told if they haven't p/u by the next evening to call. The next evening I stop U.P.S in front of my house,I ask if they have a call slip from sears? They do not. I then call sears they say We'll we weren't sure what to p/u/. So I tell them again the whole story. They say they'll once again send me a call slip to p/u the wrong part.Then I have to call to see when they get it. Then I can Re-order the new/right part, after they issue a credit. Meanwhile I'm still without a stove and a huge hassle from the sears dept. on the phone. Something should be done to help me the customer that's out $ 107.87 and no part.
 23rd of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
My children do not ask for much during the holidays, The one and only gift my three children asked for was a pool table, "Something that we could use as a family". I found the best deal at sears and ordered a month before Christmas. When the merchandise arrived I received a call and I asked the if they could hold until christmas eve. They said yes, no problem. I called a week in advance to see how many boxes so that I could arrange a vehicle. At 5pmOn Christmas Eve, I called and asked if I paid extra if they could wrap in plastic due to the weather, again - they said no problem. I go to pick up the merchandise and only half of it was there. I just knew there had to be a mistake. I went to speak with the manager and the assist said oh i think someone came in a week ago and we gave it to them because theirs was damaged. Then another manager came out, I explained that my children were going to have no christmas. He yelled at me and my husband "DO YOU THINK WE DID THIS ON PURPOSE". No, I am sorry let me see when I can get one in. He said our money had been refunded to our CC and to get over. I just don't understand there customer service, they knew my merchandise was not in the store because they gave it away and could not give us a call or any indication that I was not going to be able to have a christmas gift for my children. I seriously know the importance of Christmas, I also know how important it was for me to give something to my children they wanted. It was not only the not getting our merchandise but the rude and hateful attitude of the "Manager".
 16th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears - Terrible service!

Sears calls it service. They also call it a warranty. I call it something else I can't print here. I purchased Heat Pump from Sears and I am now past the initial 1st year of having everything covered. After first year - parts are covered and every service call comes with a $100 service charge on top of the repairs.

1 - Called Dec 22 because heater stopped working. 20 degrees outside. Service scheduler says that someone can come out on Jan 4. I asked if he is telling me that I have to go without heat for 2 weeks and he replies, "That's not what I am saying, but we can't get anyone there until Jan 4."

I changed out the 50-amp fuses myself.

2 - Called January for same reason - heater quite working again. They said someone could come out in 5 days. Unacceptable, so I fixed it myself again.

3 - Called because heater stopped again and this time, the fuse did not fix it. Luckily, the weather was not as cold, so several space heaters were used until the Sears to came out. Service rep (nice guy who knew a lot about these systems) said the system was inproperly installed and that the wires had never been tightened causing the wires to MELT! He did not charge for the labor - but still charged $100 for the service call.

4 - I told Sears that I did not want to continue with the purchase of a new system for my 2nd home because of the poor warranty service I received on the previous system.

5 - I called the Sears customer service line at 800-762-3048 to ask for my $100 back since it was a problem with the initial install - something that Sears should take care of themselves. The person who answered could not understand English well enough to take down my number to look in their "system" for my information. She was finally able to understand me enough to send me to another division, but hung up on me while transferring the call - 15 minutes.

6 - I called the number back again and talked to a person learning English again. I had to go through all the same steps with this person, too. He went to transfer my call and I was on hold for 7 minutes before the phone went dead. 22 minutes.

7 - I call again and immediately asked for a manager because the last two efforts were less than rewarding. I still had to go through the whole "phone number and let me look up your information" again. I told him that I was being dropped in transit, so he said to hold for a minute - where I was dropped again. 10 minutes

8 - I called again and asked for a manager again. I was assured that he would stay with this one until he knew there was a manager on the other line. I was on hold for 10 minutes, then I heard some shuffling when someone picked up the line. Then it went dead. 22 minutes

9 - I called again and did the "number" thing, then explained all that had happened so far. The guy assured me that he would not be like the others and he would stick with me on this one. He put me on hold 3 times to see what to do, then he said he was waiting on the manager to come.

I asked if he would take my phone number down so they could call me back if I was hung up on and he said they would. He put me on hold again and the phone went dead after 4 minutes. 30 minutes

10 - I took a break for a couple of hours before calling back so I could keep a cool head. This was really unbelievable so far.

When I called, I asked for a manager again and finally got one (after all the initial "phone number" steps were done) and was told that there were problems with the outsourcing of customer service and they were addressing those issues. She put me through to the money people and after being on hold for a long time, a person answered and took down all my information, telling me that someone would be calling within 24 business hours.

11 - I did one of those "look for your phone number online at Google to see if they are giving out your address" since someone reminded me through an email that it is a good idea. I wasn't even thinking of Sears at this point, but there I see it - plain as day. My name and phone number displayed in a list on one of their contact sheets for new sales of home heating/air systems. I am shocked so I send an email to their customer service center. I got nothing back. I am furious!

12 - One week later, a Sears "National Customer Relations" representative called.

Is this Mr. Cleaver?

"Yes, it is."

"I am Brenda from Sears calling about your heat pump."

"Hi, I'm surprised that it took so... "(she cut me off)

"Excuse me for a second." (she drops the phone and I can hear her turning off the television and getting kids out of the room)

"OK, Mr. Cleaver, about your heater..."

She tells me that after the 1 warranty, the service warranty includes a $100 service charge for each visit. I start to tell her that it is wrong for someone to install something improperly, then charge me for their mistake and that there is an easy fix. Just have someone refund the $100 and all is good.

Mind you, this woman has no concept of customer service whatsoever. I told her about the poor service in scheduling the first two problems with my system AND about the name and # being posted on a Web page. I told her about being on the phone for a long time trying to get a person to help me with a refund. I told her that she didn't seem to want to hear my side of any of this.

She said that she could sit here and lie to me and tell me that she would look into those things if I wanted her to, but it would not help any.

We continued on because I could not believe what I was hearing. I asked why a National Customer Relations representative could not tell me where to go to resolve these problems; Why a National Customer Relations representative could not even apologize for this trouble; why a National Customer Relations representative could not assure me that she will let me know how these problems will be resolved; why a National Customer Relations representative could not even ask what the Web page was so she could have it removed - and mostly, why a National Customer Relations representative was not in possession of any customer service skills to begin with.

She then said that she would look into these things. Then she asked me if it made me feel better now that she said it - even though there was nothing she was going to do about it.

I asked who I could talk to about all of my current concerns and she said I could go up to corporate, but that the problem would come back to her and she would be making this same call again - so I should save myself the trouble.

I told her I understood why Sears service has fallen so far below every other company. It's because people like her are teaching the lower service representatives to treat customers just as she was treating me.

She then said that she has done all she can and that I should have a good weekend. Then she hung up.

Sears Corporate, here I come. Please keep Brenda on your staff so that others can learn from her customer service skills. That way, Sears will eventually not be able to sell anything - thus saving the world from their terrible services.

Oh, and thanks for improperly installing the system so that wires actually MELTED - causing an unsafe environment in my home!

Sears Logo Sears