logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Virgin Active
Problems with club membership agreement
2. (4 mins ago)

Sears Complaints & Reviews - Would not hire me because of a background check

Sears Contacts & Informations

Sears

Posted:    Jacob

Would not hire me because of a background check

Sears
sears.com
My name is Louis SMith a 46 year old white male from Hattiesburg, MS. I was offer a job in the visual department at sears and they did a background check. On the online form that I filled out stated to list any charges up to 7 years. I have not charges that are on my record for seven years.

I was called in by the HR manger and she told me that they were unable to offer me employment due to by background. She then gave me the background report and I check into it the next day. I found that they had pulled something on my record from 1999 were an ex-boyfriend, who was then a State Police filed a charge for annoying phone calls. Since 1999 I've had a judge to remove those charges from my record. I called the Court in the county of FREDERICK in Va and they told me that the charges where no longer on my record. I've tried to Contact the National HR center with sears and have not heard anything yet.

I cannot understand why background check would be for someone that works on the floor with visuals and does not deal with money.

I also cannot understand why Sears would go back more then 7 years to try to find something on someone's background. I am a hard worker and I need a job!!! How can Sears get away with something like that???
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Nov, 2009 by   The CAT 0 Votes
I don't know how the laws work in America, but in Canada, you can sue the PANTS off of a company that even thinks of doing a background check on you beyond any charges that you have not been acquitted for - and if they were stupid enough to state that THAT was the reason, they're in even more trouble!

But even so - go talk to a lawyer, many will not charge you for an inquiry especially when there's potential profit to be made.

Women and Money - 5 Myths