Readers Digest / Pepsi Co.

prize money

7701 legacy dr.
Plano, Texas
Received a letter from Pepsi Co., co sponsorship with Readers Digest located in Plano Texas stating my wife has won the grand prize of one million dollars. Inside is a check for $5400.00 to cover any outstanding fees that have not been paid by Pepsi Co. directly. Before she is to cash this check, she is supposed to contact a Mr. Ron Pittsfield, a representative, phone No. 1-866-827-8711 ext. #1. with the prize claim #. This check is a citibank check, drawn from Strategic Focus Cities in New York city, New York. This enveloped my wife received appears to have come from Canada. I thought I should pass this on and make your Company aware!

Sincerely Armando Romo
Complaint comments Comments (70) Complaint country United States Complaint category Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful?

20th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
My wife received on today 5/20/09 with everything the same. We live in California as wellThat's why I was checking to see if it was for real. I new nothing come along like that for no reason. It seems when times are bad the scammer work harder to cheat out of the money you don't have now. Same on the people who don't check out these scams before they invest their hard earn money.
 26th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I got one to and i'm also in California. Has anyone tried calling the number to see what happens or what they say about it. I wonder what would happen if someone cashed the check?
 27th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
My mom, also received one of these letter and we have tried to call the number and the gentleman is always from his desk. We called readers digest and they said they have no such promotion. Mom could use the money but I am afraid this is a scam. Has anyone tried to cash the check? Or gotten in touch with the guy on the front to call?
 28th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I just received the same letter with a check also for the amount of $5400.00. I have been trying to figure out what it is and for what but have no such luck. If anyone finds out any information of this please let us all know. Cause if it was real I would be so happy but something is just not right. Thanks
 29th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Friday 29 May 2009 - I received one of these "You have won $1M letters with a canadian .98 stamp and a "from anywhere to anyone" cancelation stamp. The return address reads "Pepsi ... Chicago IL". My check was for $4980 - very impressive with a gold square chip embedded in the check.

I never entered a Pepsi contest and the Reader's Digest/Pepsi seemed like an unlikely partnership.

If the previous Posters have been unable to reach the guy you're supposed to contact before cashing the check WHAT EXACTLY IS TRANSPIRING? IS this a terrorist attack? Is the Gold square in the check some kind of GPS locator? Does the letter contain a Plague virus?

This is SCARY! Please advise. My husband says to take it to the CSI!!

Santa Barbara CA
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
My Mother in law recieved the same thing.. with different names and numbers but same ext# as most of you; ext# 1 This is obviously a total scam and there's really no purpose to it as well. We have called the number but there's no answer just an answering machine. My sister in law also called the company that supposedly issued the check and they informed her that a few people had called them as well with the same issue. They told her that they already had made a police report and that they had nothing to do with such check/sweepstakes. There is also no ABA number anywhere on the check. Which is very awkward and the endorsment/signature box in the back is right in the middle of the check horizontally... normally it's on the right or left side vertically... and it's in french (endossement - ou estampille) Be careful.. I would advise you take all documents/check to the police right away so that they may take appropriate measures and catch whomever is doing this. Seems kinda creepy to me and we all need to be very careful...

San Bernardin, CA
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Mother just got one today 6-1-09 and the check was in the amount of $5850.00. Tells us to contact a Mr. Phil Rizutto at 1-866-802-4459 Ext#1. Put it this way, i've never entered my mother and she's never entered for anything of the sort. So I believe that this is a scam. I advise people not to cash it, deposit it, or call the number and give any information out about yourselves. I just want to know, how they got my mothers name and why her? Did all these people who got letters have something in common?
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Another one received - Santa Cruz, California - to my mother-in-law. The enclosed check is from "Headspin Technologies" through Rural American Bank-Braham; no routing #, $5, 850. Call David Bennett at 1-866-822-0940. I'm just gonna turn it over to our DA's consumer affairs office.
 6th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I got a letter in the mail with a check for 5800 and when I took it to the bank to have it checked they said it was from a company that is using fleet bank which is a part of bank of america. my bank said the check was no good
 6th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Seems like this scam is only targeting women...
 6th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Got one for my mom, $5850 and contact Mrs. Olivia Bradshaw at 866-699-3068 ext 1. I call it and an answering macnine seems to pick up but then hangs up. I checked the routing number and it is real but the company name is Brazilgranite out of north hollywood with a check from indiana and a cancelled stamp from Canada; Return address of Pepsi in ChicagoAlso the Check appears to be canadian as the back warnings are all in French. This seems to be fraufulant but dam it is a good looking one!
 8th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
 9th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
My Neighbor's Mom also an older single woman received the same Reader's Digest/Pepsi with enclosed $5, 850.00 for covering "fees" and told she also won
a MILLION dollars : ) :0
so I work at the post office and she came to me. then we found this site...
THANK YOU so MUCH for all your information.. we appreciate it. It's trash for sure.
 15th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I got the same letter on 6-8-2009 saying that I won One million dollar Giveaway and plus got check 5850.00 never cash it . I should contact Mr.Andy Pearlman at 1-(866)-804-1800 Ext #1 and A claim number too. The nerve of these people rip off other people who work hard for there money and turn around scamming them. Someone need to put a stop to this.

Plus I thought I was bless for the money and I really really need that money.

20th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I take care of an elderly lady here in California who also recieved a check along with the same letter. It sucks that it's a scam she could of used the money. The person should find something better to do then scam the elderly.
 24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
This is too much. I am so glad that i found this site because i too was supposed to call Olivia Bradshaw, I recieved the same check for 5, 800 only my check is from a bank in Tennessee. It's always a different bank, WTF!! I get stacks and stacks of fake swepestakes. It messed with my head dor a while, and though I know those are scams this one really does look legit, to a degree. I called the number for like a week. We could all use this money seems like they target monetarily less fortunate women. It's just not right. What can the local police really do? if anyone knows please post a responce.

26th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
My sister received the same letter with a check about a month ago, she called & was asked to wire money for taxes so that they can process her $1 million winning. THIS IS A SCAM! we're in the finance business & just wanted to see what will happen and she told the man that the check must clear in her account prior to her sending the money & questioned him about sending the tax fee without receiving the winning prize...he said, well this is why you have our check (THIS WILL DEFINITELY BOUNCE! -IT MAY CLEAR DEPENDING ON YOU ACCOUNT STATUS WITH YOUR BANK BUT IT WILL COME BACK IN WEEKS & THERE'S NO WAY OF TRACING IT OR GOING AFTER THEM) she closed the conversation by telling him that she's not stupit & that this is a SCAM! The guy hung up the phone. NOW MY MOM JUST CAME TO US WITH THE SAME CHECK & LETTER! not knowing that my sister have received the same letter & ck called the number & she said it's an answering manchine with Pepsi co/rep. asking to leave a message with her information. Make your family & friends aware of this SCAM..spread the words! with the economy the way it is, there will be people that may be tempted & fall for this trash!
 27th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
This also happened to my deceased mother. The check does look very authentic! When taking it to the bank, they assured me that this is a fraud and took the check for further investigating.
Stop scamming others and get a real job!!
 6th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
My husband got one of the letters and checks from Pepsico and Reader's Digest also. I've been aware of this type of scam for about 6 months, so he's taking it to the police station tomorrow. We could use the money also...they might be targeting people with money problems because they would be the ones to jump at it without checking out the validity of the check.
 11th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
This is too much!! My grandma is also the LUCKY winner of $1M and received a check for $5125 "to cover any outstanding fees that have not been paid by Pepsi Co. directly". Her check is written from a bank account in Columbia, NC, with the account holder being NC State County ABC Board. The envelope is postmarked from Canada, with the return address of Chicago, IL; oh, and we live in California. How is it that all of us Californians are so lucky??!!

Another website says to send the congratulatory letter to Pepsi for further investigation. That will be taken care of on Monday morning.

Contact Us