I bought my Gen 2 in 2008 and have had ENDLESS problems with my car. It's been in and out of the workshop countless times and every time I get it back, something else goes wrong. Some of the problems I have, they just say that there's nothing they can do for me. What a joke. My car is currently in the workshop because the alternator has packed up. Heavens above, never heard of something that ridiculous. A really old car maybe but not a car that's not even 2 years old.
1. Squeek in the back (boot area). (The noise has returned). The lock was looked at and they did something there. Now when you open the boot, it’s very difficult to pull the lever. When you close the boot it has to be slammed a couple of times. I’ve been told that the car needs to be on a level surface to close the boot properly first time. I don’t agree with this and have asked for something in writing to this affect. I told Shane Brevin that whatever has been done, what if down the line something goes wrong and then I sit with the problem of a broken latch on the boot or something. Shouldn’t be this way.
2. Central Locking – locks sometimes and other times not. Stand pushing the button for a minute or so before the car actually opens. Most of the time I just lock it and unlock it with the key but the key gets stuck in the lock, feels like it is going to break in the lock
3. Steering controls – when you push volume down it mutes, volume up changes the station and the right buttons change the volume, intimitant. When there is a CD in and you push volume down it pauses the CD.
4. Mats – since I got my car 14 December 2007 they have promised me Proton mats and I still have Diahatsu mats
5. Can smell petrol if you open windows while driving
6. Car very heavy on petrol
7. I have been told that the tank capacity of the Gen 2 is 50 litres for the petrol tank. I ran out of petrol and then filled up my car, it took just under 41 litres????
8. Looses power very quickly, 100 times worse with the aircon on
9. The bump/scratch on the front right bumper at the bottom
10. Hood lining is pulling off
11. When you drive and then stop and open the door there is a really, really bad smell that comes into the car. I have been told that it is a box for the exhaust and it is normal. Can’t be normal to smell that bad and I’ve driven 7000km’s already and I have spoken to numerous people who say it’s not right. I even phoned the Umhlanga branch and they said it’s not right. This was looked at and they changed the Catalytic Converter. This bad smell has now come back, loosing power again and heavy on petrol. Car sometimes jerks slightly.
12. There is a rattle by the safety belt on the drivers side. This is coming from the lock on the door. They changed the lock but they had damaged the lock so I told them to change it. It’s still rattling badly. When you drive on the freeway, sounds like wires rattling in the door.
13. The car doesn’t go well into 2nd gear. Sometimes I struggle to get it out but mostly it’s to put it into gear.
14. I’ve been told that the stain on the back seat won’t come off. What now?
15. The alternator has packed up.
16. Alarm keeps going off by itself at any time, anywhere. This has been attended to 4 times. Still doing it.
PROTON IS A JOKE. They only sell these cars under false pretenses.