logo

Business / Personal Loan Offer
Apply urgent loan offer
3. (0 mins ago)
BMW
winning of lottery 500,000 Pounds, asking personal details and bank account nos.
4. (1 mins ago)
Scam or Real?

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Petco Complaints & Reviews - Rewards scam!

Petco Contacts & Informations

Petco

Posted:    M Moon

Rewards scam!

Petco Rewards changes every few months by adding new "fine print". First you bought 10 bags within a year you get one free. And they count down to the day. Then they changed it to a coupon that takes 6-8 weeks to receive. Then they added fiscal years of Aug-Aug to get the reward. Good luck ever getting it. I finally just called them up and told them to delete the account so I am not tempted to ever go there again. If they don't delete my personal information, I will be calling them up again...
Comments United States Pets & Animals
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Aug, 2007 by   kelly 0 Votes
Good to know, i am on bag 6 now, i will just stop shopping there.
 10th of Jan, 2008 by   Dozer 0 Votes
Um... it's free? Free to sign up, and free items? You don't even get that from Credit Cards... there's always a catch to everything.

You don't even get free stuff from Vons, Ralphs, or any grocery store... or Best Buy, etc.

Just be glad you get something for free. Don't call it a scam.
 4th of Nov, 2008 by   April 0 Votes
Lots of people get the free coupon...Including me..Its great that they offer it .They dont have too.The year starts on the day you make your first purchase of dog food.
 20th of Nov, 2008 by   Hank 0 Votes
Petco offers a one stop shop... But their prices are out of line compared to other retailers... (on some items)
For example, a recoil dog leash lists for $30 at Petco, and at a local Target, it costs $16... A Penn Plax auto fish feeder costs $20 at Petco, but it is available for $12 at a local Store.. Does Petco offer good health care to their employees? A 401K? A decent hourly wage? If so, I would happily spend an extra dollar or two for their services... But a 40% increase in prices? No. I will find another vendor...
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   paula +1 Votes
I am an employee at Petco and the rewards has always been started on the first day of purchase and the coupon comes in 6 to 8 weeks. Yes they are priced a bit high but they do price match.
ALot of the profits go for the local rescue agencies. I feel Petco does alot for animals and i will continue to shop there even when i dont work there.
As for the PALS card, it is free and its no different then a gieant eagle card or pharmacy card. Heck it is free and your information doesnt get sold to outside companies.
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   Steve H 0 Votes
I've shopped at Petco for a number of years now, and generally have been satisfied, til now. Last month I received a coupon for a per cent off on all items at Petco. When I got home I noticed the cat food I purchased was at the non pet pal price ($35) and reduced to the price I normally pay ($27) and the other two items were not reduced in price at all. I made a special trip to enjoy a reduced price on these items and was cheated.
I 've had a like experience with another unrelated company a number of years ago. They also never responded to my complaint and shortly went out of business. It looks like a desperate attempt to increase sale by defrauding their customer base. I think I'll short some Petco stock
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   apumedia +1 Votes
thats why i like my pet to keep her from getting scamed lol sorry shes a cat black and my baby she got sick found out how much it would cost im like have you lost your head moron it dont cost me as a person that dang much i gave her human meds shes so happy and more excited then ever petco how ever is a long line of excuses for them self like ebay. we got a few pets from their each had to be put at other places cause a few had issues on health matters.
 9th of Jan, 2010 by   jimwhite99 -1 Votes
I've always had problems with PETCO. Their advertised specials don't ring up at the register, they don't give you credit for bags purchase and they then don't send your free bag coupon. I earned a free bag back on 10/24/2009. It's now 01/09/2010 and they still haven't sent it! Their web site says one month and their store employees say two weeks. The truth is never!

PETCO is a total ripoff and their PALS program is a scam. Do not shop there.
 20th of Feb, 2010 by   runt2003 +1 Votes
This is the second time I didnot receive my reward coupon for my free bag of premium cat food...the first time, they had to issue me another one and it took an additional 3 weeks to get it (why? I dont know) This time I was not goint to stand for them issuing me another one...I explained to the woman at pals that it took me almost 3 months to receive my last reward and I was thinking seriously about not going thru the hassel anymore...the main reason I shop at petco is to get the free bag of food...other than that, their prices are WAY more than most other stores...so the woman told me to go down to petco and have the manager call the pals line and they would give him my redemention # over the phone...I did just that and "wala"...I left with my free bag of Halo cat food...why cant they do that ALL the time then there would be no waiting 3 months for a free bag of food...I think they hope that not everyone will pursue the issue and that is money in their pocket...This past time, I qualifed in December for my free bag and here it is almost March and I have not received it yet...go figure
 20th of Feb, 2010 by   runt2003 +1 Votes
OR BETTER YET...if you have a computer, have the option to have them e-mail you a printable coupon as soon as you qualify for your free bag...just a suggestion
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   Kiska 0 Votes
To the very first post about buying ten bags and getting one free,
The program is still buy 10 get one free, and you still have to do it within a year to the day of your first purchase. It doesn't matter when you buy the first bag, you have one year from that date to get the free one.
 8th of Jul, 2010 by   Janet Maus 0 Votes
We've had used Petco for at least nine years now. For the 1st time in all that time... we have been shorted 3 bags of 35lb. dog food. Science Diet Light.
I have called twice to make sure our information was going somewhere other than here. My husband and I have both noticed that when we gave our number out, a second name would appear on you're billing computer ringout.
We have 3 Dobermans... why are you dropping the ball like this? The last time I called was like 3 weeks ago.. I checked the name and number and have yet, to get one of the three bags of dog food.
Yes, we always try to give to any pormotional pet care. However... I'm starting to wonder where that profit goes.
We shop at the Petco E Serene Ave. Las Vegas NV 89123
Our account number I'll gladly give you when you email or call.
mausbobermans@cox.net All you are doing for us is costing us allot of money. I have copies of every single reciept. We can do business any way you want. Personally after reading all these negative reports..You may want to pay attention and take care of you're real customers.
 28th of Aug, 2010 by   Blah Bla +1 Votes
It's funny that so many people complain about free items. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that some of you are the very customers who are so crabby and downright rude to the employees when they ask to scan your PALS card. So then when you've finished being a crab-as* and can't find your card because your bratty annoying children are banging on the fish tanks, yes, then you miss out on getting credit. Or you act like you are in too much of a hurry to look in your purse and find it. Lazy. Downright lazy and stupid. Go shop at Walmart where Bob from lawn and garden bags your fish in water thats been stagnant and nasty for a week...frickin morons.
 28th of Aug, 2010 by   Blah Bla -1 Votes
People in Haiti have something to complain about. I don't want to hear it from a stupid 40 year bimbo with fake boobs and a knock off Coach purse walking around with her stupid cell phone. Get a life people. Pets are a luxury, not a necessity
 10th of Dec, 2011 by   kamala777 0 Votes
As for the PALS program, have never gotten my free bag, ever, and the program was discontinued before I could get them to figure out where a bunch of my purchases went, that I know that I made to qualify for the free bag. Those "bunch of purchases" just disappeared, never registered on my slips. Have gotten email notices to print my "free" coupon on-line, with the replacement program, but every time I went into my account, my coupon has never been there to print. Another thing that I have been noticing, for months is that the register itemizes discounts and "cents off" and "free item" coupons, either, not at all or way off what the discount should be. Especially, on their "oops" discount items. Had to either return to the store to get the so-called half price that was printed on the orange "oops" label or when I began double checking at the cash register, the mgr had to be called, sometimes, more than once, to correct the sale amount. And, those "buy a homeless pet a dinner" treat bags that they sell at the register get rung up at such wierd increments on the sales slip that you can't decipher what is discounted or even IF you are getting discounted. (I stopped saying yes to those so-called donation items and just buy a couple of extra items to personally donate to homeless pets. I get more bang for the buck, that way, anyway, compared to the skimpy little trinkets & cans in those cellophane bags.l) I think those sales slips are designed that way to confuse the customer and they hope that no one will notice or come back to complain about the ambiguities. Well, for awhile, I WAS one of those customers that just let the cash register discount scams go. I let the matter go numerous times. Now, I question these ambiguities and coupons for "free" item promotions (that end up NOT being free, at all). Today, was the last straw when I almost got charged about $15 extra on items that had "oops" tags on them (for the second time). And, the manager who had to come back to the register, twice, during my one transaction, to correct discount errors, had the nerve to be snotty and tell me not to go on-line to complain about these errors, because the complaint emails just end up, back at their store, anyway, and to complain to them. I told her that the trouble, in the past, was that I had always trusted them to sell to me at the "enticement price" and would discover, after going home, that I got ripped off, over and over. I'm beginning to think this is by company design. Now, I know to scrutinize and question while I am at the register, and ask for the correct price and I get a snotty young "manager". I am tired of Petco. They have a great selection of holistic dog food which I prefer to feed my dogs, but many of their items can be purchased, much cheaper, elsewhere. I'm going to take a break from Petco. A long break.
 31st of Dec, 2011 by   honestgirl2 0 Votes
I agree. I had an old card from Complete Petsmart that I tried to use shortly after the change over to PetCo. the Guy told me
that I should wait and use it when it would be more beneficial so I did. I bought a $60.00 bag of dog food yesterday and when I handed this same guy the Complete Petsmart card he says "Oh we don't honor these anymore" I was so mad. I explained to him that it was HIM who suggested I wait to use it. I will never go there again. If I can't find another Pet store selling the Natural Balance dog food I will just change the food my dog eats. Very dishonest business practices.
 31st of Jul, 2012 by   Covie Checkers 0 Votes
I've never had a problem shopping at Petco. Their prices are very high, but they're the closest store that sells my dog's food brand. I'm not driving an hour to get cheaper food, and I'm not changing my dogs food to some crap by-product brand. Petco Pals card is a wonderful thing that I can't help but love. I spend a good amount of money at Petco (for instance, my oldest dog's food costs 80$.. weee) and with every 100 dollars spent, they email me a printable coupon for 5 reward dollars. I don't know about the whole 10 bag + one free bag thing. I'm pretty sure they don't have that here anymore, but it wouldn't make a difference since the bagged dog food I buy isn't expensive. I love Petco's Pal Rewards and I know it is definitely not a scam. I get a small discount on everything I buy with a Pals Rewards card, plus that extra five reward dollars. I will continue to shop at Petco, I just won't bring my dog into their dirty store.

Health Care Reform is Unconstitutional