logo

Deceptive Advetising and Marketing

Meaningful Beauty
This is the complaint I filed with the Federal Trade Commission this evening:

Meaningful Beauty: With Cindy Crawford
I viewed this product (Meaningful Beauty by Cindy Crawford) on TV. I was going to purchase it for my wife. When I called to order- all of my personal information was taken, then I was told that this is a 'club'- a subscription system, and that I would receive product every month. I said (four times) that I do not want to 'subscribe'- I only want the advertised product- at the advertised price. Each time I was told that I could not purchase this product at the price advertised (29.95) without the 'club' or subscription.
I asked to speak with a supervisor. I also told him that I wanted to purchase the advertised product, without the subscription- I was told I could not. This went on for a few 'rounds' also- whereas I informed 'Frank' that I did not want the product, and then hung up. Remember: this is after I had given all of my personal information- including my credit card- as I was lead to believe we had a agreement for a product, and a price.

I must believe that this is fraudulent advertising and marketing. Nothing in the television ad says that to purchase this product- one must join a club or be forced to accept a subscription. This is also a 'first' time for me to believe that I was purchasing an item, at a set price- to have given all of my information, and then to be told that 'I was agreeing to a subscription service'- something I would not have done.

Please help to stop this deceptive marketing.
Thank you !
Richard L. Taylor
Comments United States Health & Beauty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Dec, 2009 by   EleniZ 0 Votes
I agree with this complaint! Just this morning (12/30) I called to order for just the trial and went through the exact same thing with "Mary" . I mentioned that the ad was very misleading. After her trying to talk me into everything including the Toner and something else, I said please destroy the information you took from me and cancel. What got me was that the next order was going to be for a 3 month supply and you pay $29.95 PER MONTH! She was NICE enough to say they would break the payments up! :-( .. Thought I'd try something new but I'll just stick with my Alpha-Hydrox... been doing quiet good for over 10 years! (my 45th class reuinon proved it!)
 30th of Jan, 2010 by   Skyegirl 0 Votes
I also agree! Stupidly I called and went through the same drill...very deceptive to take down all of this personal information including credit card number and then have the club thing mentioned afterwards!
I feel duped. She told me she deleted all of my information and I certainly hope so. I trust the other people commenting did not have anything charged to their account after that?
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   eduff87 0 Votes
Are you kidding me?!?! It says it on the infomercial like 8 times that along with the order you get the club membership. Don't get mad at the people who "wont let you" do it as a one time order, they can't do it any other way!!!
 21st of Feb, 2010 by   tamdio 0 Votes
I agree about the misleading ad on TV, but the products are awesome! 2 years ago I ordered from the TV ad. I received the products and was very pleased. Then, I started having overdrafts from my bank account. I cancelled and everything got back in order. 2 yrs later, I decided to give it another try, because I LOVE what MB did for my complexion. I was more educated and informed about the "billing". I'm a very happy customer now.
I had someone from work tell me that my skin has been looking great. Also, people have mentioned that I don't have any wrinkles...I do drink A LOT of water. I swear I am not from MB, I'm just a single 38 yr old who works in New Orleans and lives in Slidell. I absolutely love MB. If all you have to complain about is the way your card is charged and not the products, then I'm sorry. I knew exactly what I was getting while on the phone with the cust. serv. rep. She answered all my questions, slowly. I completely understood that my card would be charged monthly...Small price for having amazing skin. Complexion speaks for itself. I've never had anyone compliment me on my complexion the way this woman did before using Meaningful Beauty. Don't let the infomercial scare you. It's a great product.
 1st of Mar, 2011 by   Anamandy 0 Votes
The meaningful beauty commercials are annoying. I’m no longer watching any channel that puts on one of their extended commercials in the middle of a program. The new Oprah network is notorious for this. What’s the matter, Oprah doesn’t have enough money?

If you want to use a great product that’s only made with two ingredients and that’s great for your skin use Aqualin. 1 tube last a year and because it’s only made with demineralized water and vegetable glycerine it can’t go rancid, like all the other chemical crap on the market. I’m 60 years old and people think I’m in my 30s. I’ve been using the product for over twenty years and it’s the best thing I’ve ever used in my life. And best yet, it’s cheap, cheap, cheap. At one time I idiotically spent up to $100 bucks for a moisturizer that would wind up iritating my skin and go rancid way before it was used up. I no longer have that problem and best yet, it keeps my skin clear of dry patches and redness. Get the light formula, it absorbs more easily into the skin. You can get it here – http://www.microbalanced.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2
 21st of Aug, 2013 by   Terrence1974 0 Votes
Women will buy anything, I'm a man and I sold worthless makeup and other beauty products that didn't work to women. Women stop buying everything you see on tv. Celebrities don't really use that stuff, they are getting paid good money to endorse products

Website Hijacking. Know who are dealing with!

Latest Groups