logo

Sceptre Tv

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

MDG Complaints & Reviews - Disgraceful customer service!

MDG Contacts & Informations

MDG

Posted:    Laura Cyr

Disgraceful customer service!

I made the same mistake of wanting to buy Canadian. I went to the MDG store in Newmarket and was sold a system by a student. We got the system home and noticed that there was a white “speck” on the flat screen monitor. We called MDG and were told, “not to worry” because that often happens with the flat screens. Usually there are four or five of these dead pixels and we were lucky we only had one.

A few months later my computer crashed and I took it back to MDG for repairs. I told them that it was a business computer for three businesses and one business was an international health charity where patients depended on us for information, support and referrals to specialists in their area of expertise. I didn’t want them to think that we only used it for e-mail and computer games. We were told that they would give us same day service for an extra fee. We paid the fee and got the computer back within a few hours. Even though that was a nice turn around time, we live out of town and had to sit in a Tim Horton’s for two hours while the computer was being fixed. Anyhow, I should not complain.

Over the past weekend I had intermittent problems getting on line. I checked to see that my firewall and virus programs were up to date and were running. They were. I did a virus scan, registry scan, pest control for cookies, Counterspy, and Ewido (anti-spy program), then I did a disk clean up and defrag. The defrag program would not run and would freeze my computer. I figured that this was beyond my expertise and called MDG for an appointment. They said to just bring it in. I said that I needed a fast turnaround.

I brought the computer in around noon on Monday and spoke to the Techie. He began telling me what was wrong with the computer without even looking at it and everything was my fault and was going to cost me. He said that we didn’t have a virus program (we did) and then he said that it was a free program (it wasn’t). We told him that we had the paid version, which gave us some extra perks, and he demanded to know what those perks were. That is when I started losing it. He also told us that defragging the computer was a waste of time and that it did nothing to speed it up. I told him that on the contrary, I found it made quite a difference.

Two days later (yep, we told him that we needed the computer fixed immediately) my husband checked on the computer and the techie told him that someone had installed and old modem. We told them that they had built the computer and if anyone had installed an old modem, it was them. By Thursday we were getting fed up, then MDG called and I had hoped by that time that they were calling us to come and pick up the computer. Not the case.

Now the techie is telling me that my virus program is out of date and my computer was probably filled with spyware and viruses and he would have to sell me his virus protection software at a cost of $100.00 but that he was waiving all inspection fees and cleanup. First of all, all computer companies clean your computer when it comes in for repair. This reduces the risk of foreign objects coming in contact with computer parts. Second, the computer is just over a year old and I had an extended warranty so I should not be paying for anything. He became obnoxious and condescending and continued blabbering on about the out-dated virus freeware I had. Now I am mad and I shouted at him (something I am not proud of but he was really pushing my buttons) I told him that the virus program was a PAID version and it updates automatically every two days. I also told him that I do not take my computer online unless I see that the virus program logo (which is visible at all times in the tray) is brightly coloured indicating that it is up to date and is running in the background. I told him that of course it was out-of-date because the damn computer hadn’t been turned on in four days and the program was automatically trying to download and update the virus protection as it is set to do.

That is when he became surly and said that he would only fix the modem since I was so sure that was the problem. That is when I hung up on him and called MDG head office.

The head office was supposed to have my computer picked up from the Newmarket store and delivered to a competent repairperson at their Head Office and then returned to a store near me. I told them not to make it the Newmarket store because I was never going to go back there. Newmarket is 45 minutes from me and the next closest store is just under two hours. Nice, when you have three businesses to run and have to shut everything down to chase down computers.

We had this conversation with MDG around 4:30 on Thursday. It is now 2 p.m. on Friday and still no word about my computer. I am trying to work with a laptop computer and my backed up files. As we all know, laptops are not made for long hours of work and it is throwing off a lot of heat. MDG’s ineptitude could easily cost me two damaged computers.

Would I buy from them again? Not a chance.
Comments Canada Computers & Accessories
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Jul, 2008 by   Dave Bawden 0 Votes
We buy on average 3 computers every 18 months for our graphics related business and thought we would try MDG.

Didn't get what we thought we were buying, from the MDG store in London (Wellington and Bradley) tried to solve the problem by talking to the store and asking what could be done to update the system to what we needed and didn't receive a straight answer from the sales person, in fact he was extremely rude and ignorant. Called the corporate Head Office and was told that I had to deal with the store I bought the computer from because they were all franchises. Apparently there is no phone number you can call, only an email address.

The saying once bitten twice shy applies in this case and also more importantly "Caveat Emptor". There is no back up at any level and they certainly have no idea about good customer relations. Very disappointed and surprised by the outcome, would never even think of buying from them again. Suggest anyone thinking about MDG should buy with caution.
 15th of Sep, 2008 by   Dan b 0 Votes
Although it would be nice that a computer should work regardless where you bought it from. I laugh because anyone who even remotely knows how to buy a computer knows not to buy one from MDG. NEVER EVER buy one from MDG. It is basically a scam and its unfortunate that you two had to buy one from there. Goto Futureshop or Best buy .

Beware of FrostWire - Avoid Scams!

Latest Groups