logo

Sean Bradley Scammer

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Maytag/Whirlpool Centennial Washer Model#MVWC6ESWW1 Complaints & Reviews - Defective Clothes Washers

Maytag/Whirlpool Centennial Washer Model#MVWC6ESWW1 Contacts & Informations

Maytag/Whirlpool Centennial Washer Model#MVWC6ESWW1

Posted: 2011-10-19 by    GG Browne

Defective Clothes Washers

Maytag/Whirlpool
maytag.com
Less than 18 months after delivery, our little used Maytag Washer failed. It would not fill with water properly, agitated the clothes dry and deposited water onto clothes already spun dry.
The Maytag repairman replaced the "Water Level and Temperature controller Switch" (Part #W10248240) during a 15 minute visit for a cost of $170.55, almost half the cost of the washer after rebates.
The repairman stated that this part fails frequently as there was a manufacturing defect and the parts are now made by a supplier in the US rather than in China as was originally the case. He also stated that he has replaced this same part up to 3 times in the same washers.
I called, E-mailed and wrote Maytag for some sort of adjustment but was refused. Customer service insists on the 12 month warranty and refuses to help even though there is evidence of a widespread serious manufacturing defect in this sensor relay.
My understanding is that this sensor relay is present in other models of Maytag/Whirlpool as well.
Comments United States Washing Machines
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Dec, 2011 by   asjassie 0 Votes
I have the same piece of junk washer. It sounds like it's working, but the clothes come out as dirty as when they went in. Whoever designed this junk doesn't know about how normal people go about doing laundry. It stinks and I tell everyone who asks me about it how I feel. Maytag ought to be ashamed of themselves!
 30th of Dec, 2011 by   Ralph Jackson 0 Votes
I have the same problem with the repair people replacing the water sensor switch, 2 times on the 1st machine this model, the 3rd time I got whirlpool to replace the washer, but they would not upgrade, brought out the same model MVWC6ESWW1, BUT a new serial #.now less then a year the same problem, they repaired it today, with the water sensor switch-W10248240-what a lemon washer I was told this is a discont.machine, now I will contact the whirlpool attorney, I WANT AND UPGRADED WASHER, TIRED OF TAKING OFF WORK.TO HAVE A LEMON SQUEEZED TO GET EVERY OUNCE ON LIFE OUT OF IT.
 30th of Dec, 2011 by   Ralph Jackson +1 Votes
keep Whirlpool's name intact.Upgrade this lemon Model MVWC6ESWW1
 31st of Dec, 2011 by   bakerbaker +1 Votes
you might want to contact Joseph Marchese 4072700 area code 925. His law firm is heading up a very interesting class action lawsuit against Whirlpool regarding this piece of junk washer. Worth the time.
 23rd of Jan, 2012 by   billeesy 0 Votes
I have not like my wash machine very much since i bought it. I have this model MVWC6ESWW1. I have to put it on the heavy duty cycle with extra rinse just to clean a normal load of laundry. Now less then 2 years after owning it, the water level sensor, part# Part #W10248240 is shot. I have to pay out of pocket for a part the company knows about having this problem. What a rip off.
 24th of Jan, 2012 by   bakerbaker 0 Votes
Apparently the class action law suit is moving forward. According to the attorney there are LOTS of customers with the same problems. Although the poor performance is everyones main complaint, the major claim against Maytag is that this machine was sold as an energy star product and it clearly was not. Maytag will have no defense on this one and are very likely to loose. All I want out of this is a new washing machine. One that actually washes clothes as I can not afford to replace this lemon myself. Joseph Marchese is the lead lawyer and may still be able to add complaintants. 9254072700
 18th of May, 2012 by   japtoys 0 Votes
I just got off the phone with Maytag and asked the customer service representative if they had received any complaints in reference to this washer, and they lady told me that this was the first time that she had ever heard of this product "W10248240" the water level and temperature control switch ever having a problem??? Are they serious, the customer service goal is to deny deny deny and keep referencing the manufacture extended warranty, if this was the case, they might as well include it as an additional fee when they sell you this product as they expect you to come out of pocket time and time again for the same faulty product that they have refused in issuing a recall on, that is ridiculous, so after being cordial with the customer service lady and getting nowhere fast, I requested to speak to the supervisor, and she told me that she could patch me to the supervisor, however, I would not be able to received any restitution or a part due to the fact that I did not purchase the extended warranty, and asked me again if I still wanted to talk to the supervisor, and I said YES PLEASE as this product was sold with a defective part that is habitually going bad across all of the model numbers and has gone through several revision from Revision G - Revision P with the same result as the technician that repaired my machine said that he does at least one of these sensors replacements once per week easy, and that the parts that he keeps receiving from the manufacturer are the same junky switches that they have in stock!!! the version installed again on the washer is version G, so I am sure that this will go back in a year or two, therefore, I require Whirlpool to send me the parts that they know is defective so I can teach my wife how to change it in less than five minutes in case I am deployed or away for any training and this defective switch goes bad again (not if but when). Finally talked to the supervisor and she took down my information and said that she was extremely sorry for my inconvenience and that she has filled a report to the quality control department for action and that they would give me a call back next week to let me know of what they will be able to do in order to fix this issue...we will see what happens next week. By the way, to change this switch yourself, unplug the machine, use a putty knife between the main control panel and the washers metal frame (at both end of the main control panel where the white plastic end caps are to the right and left) and pop the entire control panel backward, this will expose all of the control and sensors like opening a lunch box, and you will be able to press a switch and rotate the item out of the main control panel and detach the wire connections and replace it with the $90.00 part and close it back up. Good luck.
 5th of Jun, 2012 by   Wp2008 0 Votes
Hello japtoys. My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your washer. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (Compliantsboard), your user ID name (japtoys), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Maytag.Digital@maytag.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.
 15th of Jun, 2012 by   E. Nash 0 Votes
I HAVE HAD THE IDENTICAL EXPERIENCE.
i HAVE WHIRLPOOL WASHER WTW57ESVW. After light use and owning it only 19 months, the temperature sensor switch failed. Part # W10248240. The service man told me to call whirlpool and ask for the part at no cost since SO MANY OF THESE FAIL. I called customer service and was told repeatedly "no extended warranty, no part". Escalated to supervisor--after being put on hold for 10 minutes (probably designed to have you hang up) the supervisor gave the same line. I told her she will lose a Whirlpool customer for life over this part which SHOULD NOT FAIL SO SOON. She finally came up with a "25% discount on the part" which is useless since websites discount more than that. The company is making and selling junk. Obviously reading this website, it is a known problem and they are rejecting customer pleas for help. What a shame that American manufacturers are producing poor products like this. DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL WASHERS.
 26th of Jun, 2012 by   Wp2008 0 Votes
Hello E. Nash. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Whirlpool. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your washer. If you still need assistance, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintBoard), your user ID name (E. Nash), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Whirlpool.Digital@whirlpool.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.
 23rd of Aug, 2012 by   wshale 0 Votes
Add me to the long and growing list of unhappy, frustrated customers dealing with an inferior Maytag/Whirlpool product. We bought a Maytag (Whirlpool) washing machine model MVWC6ESWW1 in late 2009 for our 2nd home in South Carolina. Until we moved to this house permanently in late April 2012, we only visited the home 4 times a year and only for about 10 days at a time, so the machine got very little use. We estimate conservatively that we did no more than about 75 loads in it since we bought it. We are now experiencing exactly the same issue that so many others have complained about. We were never really impressed with the cleaning power of this machine, but when it started to emit a squealing noise during the spin cycle and then started to agitate before filling completely and allowing water to enter the tub after the final spin so that the clothes were always wet, we knew we had a problem. Fortunately I am fairly mechanical and have a buddy who was a former appliance repairman so we diagnosed the problem quickly, but it will cost me $80 to buy the sensor switch, part no. W10248240. I was astounded when I researched this issue online to find that there were so many people with exactly the same complaint. I was even further dismayed to find that Maytag/Whirpool apparently has known about this issue for years and has done nothing to rectify it. Based on what I have read on this website and others, I don't even plan to contact Whirlpool because I know I will get the run around and they will do nothing to help a customer dealing with a known design flaw/defect in a part they are still selling to an unsuspecting public. Not a good way to market your product or raise your public image! Too bad that Whirlpool is dragging the Maytag name into the ground like this...I used to think very highly of Maytag products. I plan to use this machine for as long as this new sensor switch will last and then replace this piece of junk with a real washing machine. This thing makes a GE machine look like a top of the line product!
 30th of Aug, 2012 by   Scottyboymcr 0 Votes
Wow!
I have the same problem and even asked the customer service rep. on the phone if there is a recall on this washer problem that everyone is having. Of course She said no! I take it a law suit might get some results. I will add my name to the list!
I though this problem was in the timer switch/control setting because at the start of the wash cycle it starts washing before the water is full and also other problems as others have said like wet closes at the end of the cycle. Wanted to save some $$ and do it myself since Maytag won't own-up and the Maytag Rep. would sell me the timer part even though it isn't the correct part to fix the REAL PROBLEM !! I'm mad as hell. Thank you all that have posted some info for me to buy the correct part and change it my self.
But then again why change it if the replacement part is going to fail again?
 4th of Sep, 2012 by   Hayden Myers 0 Votes
Add me to the list of customers with this less than 2 year old lemon washing machine. There's a nice guy named Homer who posted a a couple videos on this problem over at Youtube and the procedure for replacing the costly load switch. Whirlpool should admit the problem and send all of us new switches. No way is this washer operating like an EPA appliance if it leaves the clothes wet for the dryer to deal with. It just loves to dump water on the clothes during the final spin cycle, because the spin cycle started before the tank emptied, thanks to a faulty load sensor.
 11th of Sep, 2012 by   mpb1 0 Votes
Same problem of water filling after the final spin cycle.
 15th of Oct, 2012 by   Jamie Miller 60 0 Votes
I bought this same washer from Home Depot. I have owned Maytag appliances for the last 34 years. Never again will I own any Maytag products or Whirlpool since they are the same. I bought the Maytag Centennial washer what JUNK is was from the beginning. I feel I was lied to from the people at Home Depot and Maytag. I would have one shirt in the washer and the water would fill the whole tub. Then I could wash a large load I had to make sure I stayed home so I could keep lifting the lid to get enough water to fill the washer . Also just a couple weeks after I bought it I called Maytag to see why this was rated so quiet. I told them every time it switches cycles it makes a loud clunk, this washer was so noisy, and my laundry room was right off the kitchen and close to my living room. We would shut the door and we still had this noise so loud that when there was a program on TV that we all sat down to watch we started turning the washer off. The lady at customer service said well this just sounds like a normal running washing machine. REALLY lady, where you from?? China where you get your parts. So I had a repair man out and he told me This machine my dear lady, has been a lemmon since you got it that clunking noise was the transmission and it finally went out. I have been going to the laundromat for three weeks every other day. this SUCKS. I will never buy anything that is made by Whirlpool or Maytag again, yea they used to be good back in the day but this is a company that has cut too many corners. Customer service at Maytag Sucks I bet those people would never have to put up with a with a noisy washer, let alone sit home and keep opening your lid at wash cycles and rince cycles so enough water goes in, and then wash one shirt and the washer fills up completely. AND ENERGY EFFICIENT????DON"T think so. WELL TO ALL THE OTHER CUSTOMERS WRITING IN WITH COMPLAINTS. I WENT TO MENARDS 10/14/2012 and bought a very nice GE HYDROWAVE 3.9 CAPASITY NICE ver nice quiet, no water sensor I can have any size load I want and there is a setting for this, and we actually sat down and ate a dinner with this machine running. GUESS WHAT we never even heard it I had to get up and make sure it was running. SO TO ALL MY FRIENDS: GO to MENARDS AND PURCHASE YOUR WASHER I was so tired of hearing Maytag well, well, well, you know you make a washer that is made to last two years then you should cover it. Also at Menards the 4 year extra warranty is only 84.00 not 120.00 or something out rageous. How does Maytag expect every one to have all this money when the washer was 600.00 piece of junk to begin with????
 19th of Oct, 2012 by   ClydeS 0 Votes
Add me also to the list. Mine fills up with water then stops. No agitation, spin, draining nothing. Just fills up with water and stops now. I opened up the console and the same controler everyone is taking about the Water level & Temp controller was overly hot. I appears I have the same problem everyone else is having. Now I have to find the best place to order this part. Go to maytag's online site and they charge 98 dollars where I seen it as low as 42 dollars else where. So not only do they give you a defective product but then try to profit off this further. No way I will buy from Maytag so they can profit even more off of me this way. I use to think Maytag was quality with all their investment for branding their product over the years but now that has all gone to waste with people like me especially with them not even trying to correct this obvious common part defect. You should be able to expect with normal usage that the product should last more than 2 years!
 22nd of Oct, 2012 by   Centerville Civilian 0 Votes
I have a Maytag Centennial washer. One year after purchase I also had problems with the W10248240 switch. The automatic load leveler/temp sensor. This washing machine was only filling up enough to dampen the clothes then scrubbing them - destroying some garments from the agitation without enough water. I contacted Maytag and after a LONG run around I was finally instructed to call a local repair man to replace the part at my own expense.
Our nearest qualified repairman is 45 min away and comes with a HEAVY out of service area charge.
I am so disappointed that I went out of my way to purchase an expensive, and what I thought was a dependable model and got something that doesn't work. AT ALL!! I live WAY out in the country. Nearest laundry mat is a half hour away. I will never purchase another Maytag as long as I live and encourage all of my family and friends to do the same through the ease of Facebook. I still have not replace the part. Since disconnecting the hose from the sensor it has overflowed.
I have been fighting it out - flapping the lid, unplugging and disconnecting the hose from the sensor switch for months hoping I can find a class action suit to sign up in - or perhaps start my own. Ridiculous they can't send out the part with self repair instructions.
I have a 500.00 washing machine sitting in my laundry room with the top off and electrical components hanging out so I can limp loads of laundry through. I'm thoroughly disgusted this is what we paid for and I feel burnt that there isn't even another brand of switch I can get! I would likely have to purchase one and have to continue replacing it.
 28th of Oct, 2012 by   Jeff Alan 0 Votes
This washer sucks thy need to replace the part for free butt there a a__ and will not Jeff from Texas
 26th of Nov, 2012 by   darla moulton 0 Votes
I HAVE THE SAME PIECE OF JUNK WASHER! AFTER REPLACING MY 25 YR OLD WASHER I BOUGHT THIS ONE NEW. HAVING IT ONLY 1 MONTH IT BROKE DOWN (APPROXIMATELY 4 LOADS DONE AS I AM ALONE) IT TOOK OVER 2 MONTHS ALTOGETHER TO GET A SERVICE PERSON TO ASSESS THE PROBLEM, ORDER THE PART, THEN SCHEDULE ANOTHER SERVICE PERSON TO INSTALL THE 3 PARTS! THE TIMER, AND A SENSOR AND ANOTHER PART- TOTAL IF NOT UNDER WARRANTY WAS MORE THAN THE TOTAL COST OF THE MACHINE NEW! SINCE THEN IT STILL HAS NEVER WORKED WELL. CLOTHES ARE STREAKED AND DIRTIER THAN WHEN WENT IN - NOT DIRTY, JUST SWEATY MOSTLY. NOW 2 YRS LATER THE TIMER AGAIN IS NOT WORKING. WASHER FILLS UP THEN DRAINS, RINSING OFF THE SOAP. THEN REFILLS AND SEEMS TO WASH. WHEN DONE SPINNING DRY, IT REFILLS AGAIN AND STOPS! LEAVING CLOTHES SOPPING WET! NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS TO MAYTAG ARE TOTALLY WORTHLESS. THEY WILL NOT OFFER TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL BUT SET UP SERVICE AT MY EXPENSE! RIDICULOUS! IM SURE I HAVE DONE LESS LOADS IN 2 YRS THAN THE AVERAGE FAMILY DOES IN 2 MONTHS! I AM A WIDOW AND THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE MY LAST MACHINE I WOULD EVER BUY- OBVIOUSLY MAYTAG ISNT A QUALITY NAME ANYMORE. PURE JUNK! WAS IT MADE IN CHINA OR MEXICO?
 18th of Dec, 2012 by   cdogan1767 0 Votes
I also have the same piece of __ Just ha repairman look a mine again. Just paid 165.00 dollars in june 2012. Today is December 18th 2012. Repairman said its the water level/temp.seensor again!!! Help!!! Cant afford to buy another washing machine right now.

Avoid iTunes Gift Card Scams Identity Theft