logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Edward Jones Investments
misrepresntation, fraud, seedy stock brokers
2. (18 mins ago)
Macy's Revolving Credit Card
Rip-off fees on revolving credit card
3. (27 mins ago)
Haband
Rude and nasty sevice
4. (29 mins ago)
Government of Tamil Nadu
Non receipt of ration card
5. (31 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Fraud and scam

Magic Jack
magicjack.com
Magic jack is a scam i would not recommend this product i would not put anyone through this *** *** junk and having that little girl lie for them on site shame on you magic ***. They need a law suit on them and especially no phone number for customer support they must not like it either for them to have magic jack and not have phone for c/s whats up with that and there chat clients are not good also they must of just started to school on customer service and still in kindergarten, magic jack you need to be put out of business and a big law suit.

Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Aug, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
Lets start off by saying Please save yourself the head ache DON'T BUY this product. The entire infomercial looks and sounds great but they don't tell you upfront is that its really not a 30 day trial but rather a 15 day trial cause after 15 days they charge your credit card like they did mine.

They don't tell you that if you ever have a problem you WILL NEVER speak to a live representative, cause the company does not have a telephone.

They don't tell you that if you wish to send your product back it will take them 45 days to issue you a refund.

They don't tell you up front that in order to have 24/7 phone access your computer can not go into hibernation or be shut off, imagine if you have an emergency at night time when your computer is usually off and don't have access to a phone, ? or if you have a burglar and need to contact the police?

When you do call 911 they don't tell you that your actually speaking with a internet computer and not that of your local police department which by the way you have to be sure you give them all kinds of information Home address, name, phone #, etc) before they even dispatch anyone out to your home.(I don't know about you guys but I have small children, who are to young to memorize this information, and trust them to know that in a hectic situation/emergency they are going to be able to assist this internet operator to get some help in time? I mean what if something ever happened to mommy or daddy and they needed the police but didn't know the information because their to young 5, yrs old?

They don't tell you that you can not make any phone calls that require you to input #s such as if you call your bank and have to input your ss# good luck because every number you press is multiplied by 2 try inputing your account # ssi# or anything that is requiring verification data of you, sorry you can't so if the company your calling does not have a customer service rep wgile peek hours your out of luck.

They don't tell you that you have to dial your area code to make phone calls within your own city, so to call your next door neighbor you must first dial your area code.

They don't tell you that you can not be on your computer doing work because every time someone in your house picks up the phone or a call comes in a box pops up which you have to minimize, and yes you have to minimize it for every call going out or coming in, trust me its a pain especially when your spouse work is done primarily on the pc, try writing a word, power point, excel, while every 10 seconds you have a box popping up on your working screen, now you can take care of this problem by simply unplugging your phone, thus eliminating anyone in the home using the phone, or receiving calls, but hey at least you get your work done without any annoying boxes interrupting you.

They don't tell you that once you connect the magic jack to your computer, your going to be using up your systems resources, & have to update all your pc's direct x functions, so if your not a computer garu your in trouble, or you can just call their tech support and speak with someone who can walk you through the process... oh no wait sorry they have no live person you can talk to if you need any customer assistance or tech support you have to go online and chat with them. by the way good luck getting someone to log in to the chat area to assist you, lets just say that if its less then 2 minutes your one of the lucky ones.

I don't know about you folks but I wish someone would of told me all this before I spent my time and money buying this product cause now the end result is that I have no product as i sent them back and I have no money cause they have yet to date to issue a refund, and I cant speak with no one cause oh yeah there's no phone # to call the company, corporate or either wise. In closing i hope i was able to save someone the ordeal and head aches I have gone through with this company, I just hope I get my money back, I'll keep trying its now been 18 days and counting since I spoke, sorry chatted with a customer service rep. If you do purchase this product I wish you all the luck, but I'm sure I will be reading more posts about this great $20 a year phone service, I guess its true what my dad always told me if something sounds to good to be true 9 out of 10 times it usually is.-Iaz Family, Las Vegas Nv Good luck!
 11th of Sep, 2008 by   Joe from Mississippi +1 Votes
I have Vonage and it has a lot of good features. Pretty reasonable to. Because of my wife and kids having cell phones we rarely use the home phone. I was looking for something even cheaper than Vonage. I have seen the MagicJack commercial numerous times and was going to give it a try. Steve, like any new product you will have complaints. I read several, but was still interested in purchasing. But after reading ALL that you have been through, I wouldn't touch this product if the gave it to me with free service. I thank you for this post and you have by far been through more than any other consumer being scammed by TragicJack. Guess I will be sticking with Vonage a little longer.
 26th of Sep, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
Just to let you know, if you use the free trial for magic jack, and use a debit card, they will charge you right away! I didn't even authorize them to charge my debit card and they did anyways. I am now dealing with live help, and they say i have to contact them in 2-3 hours b4 they can help me. Also i had no money in that account so now I'm gonna be charged a overdraft fee. It also takes up to 3 days for them to refund my debit card, but by then i will have already endured a overdraft fee.
 2nd of Oct, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
I have had the magicjack since March of 2008. I loved it. The calls were clear and reliable. I enjoyed my service for almost six months when suddenly there was no dial tone on my phone. I checked the software and I was able to dial and make calls using the microphone and speakers on my PC, but not using a phone extension. I mean, isn't that the point of the MagicJACK? That it is supposed to be a jack so you can dial from a phone.

Thinking that I could report the problem, I got online with their live chat. Chad (the live chat rep), took me through almost an hour and a half of "try this", and "Now try this". I did everything he asked and it still did not fix the problem. At about one hour and twenty minutes, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was then transferred (via chat) to Mylene (who claimed to be a supervisor). She began to diagnose all over again. I stopped her and said that I had been through all of this and that I just wanted my 20.00 product replaced. I told her that there clearly was a problem and that they should stand behind their product and replace it. She flat out told me that she WILL not replace until they can diagnose the problem. She then began to give me more "Try this". I told her that I had no intention of allowing her to waste more of my time. I told her that I would file a complaint about their poor customer care and give she and Chad a low review. She told me to go right ahead. This is exactly the kind of crap that has been allowed during the "Bush" administration. Legalized rip offs. DO NOT FALL FOR MAGICJACK! You will be disappointed sooner or later.
 7th of Oct, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
I purchased magicjack and well within the 30 day return period, I decided to return the unit but couldn't get an RWA. I was finally told that there was no record of my purchase within the 30 day return period. I have proof of purchase in the form of bank visa statement showing the payment. There is no way to communicate with magicjack to contest this gross error! The customer service link is virtually hidden. Once in the Customer service site and your request is made, there is no way to contest magicjack's position! This must be a scam if there is no way to air complaints.
 24th of Oct, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes

They don't tell you that they are going to redistribute your personal information to other customers in their database like they did mine.

They dont tell you that you can not make any phone calls that require you to input #s such as if you call your bank and have to input your ss# good luck because every number you press is multiplied by 2 try inputing your account # ssi# or anything that is requiring verification data of you, sorry you can't so if the company your calling does not have a customer service rep wgile peek hours your out of luck.

They don't tell you that you can not be on your computer doing work because every time someone in your house picks up the phone or a call comes in a box pops up which you have to minimize, and yes you have to minimize it for every call going out or coming in, trust me its a pain especially when your spouse work is done primarily on the pc, try wrting a word, power point, excel, while every 10 seconds you have a box popping up on your working screen, now you can take care of this problem by simply unplugging your phone, thus eliminating anyone in the home using the phone, or receiving calls, but hey at least you get your work done without any annoying boxes interrupting you.

I don't know about you folks but I wish someone would of told me all this before I spent my time and money buying this product cause now the end result is that I have no product as i sent them back and I have no money cause they have yet to date to issue a refund, and I cant speak with no one cause oh yeah there's no phone # to call the company, corporate or eitherwise. In closing i hope i was able to save someone the ordeal and head aches I have gone through with this company, I just hope I get my money back, I'll keep trying its now been 18 days and counting since I spoke, sorry chatted with a customer service rep. If you do purchase this product I wish you all the luck, but I'm sure I will be reading more posts about this great $20 a year phone service, I guess its true what my dad always told me if something sounds to good to be true 9 out of 10 times it usually is.-Iaz Family, Las Vegas Nv Good luck!
 3rd of Nov, 2008 by   Tauna Barbieri 0 Votes
I think that MagicJack is completely misleading and I called them on it. In the FAQ they state that as long as you share the same area code as your family and friends, they will not be charged a long distance fee, but that is not true. You also have to share the same prefix (which makes sense, but they did not disclose this info). The only prefixes they have in my state are in the southern part and would be long distance for anyone to call me...including my kids schools, my work, etc. We returned the product the next day and it has now been 2 weeks and I have not seen the release of funds from my account. I did not authorize this hold, it doesn't make any sense if it is a free month trial period and for you do not have access to your money. I have chatted online with the agents several times and they keep telling me different stories. The first agent I talked to said they could release my funds immediately following the return of the product...that same day. When that didn't happen, I asked again. That second time they stated that it was policy that it takes 2 days to release the hold, and I asked her to show me the policy, but she could not. The third and a few times after, they told me that it takes 3 business days but it's been beyond that and I have yet to see my money. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and they said that I will have access to my funds within 3 days also, which is today. The money is still not there in my account and I guess I will report back to the BBB. Beware of this scam...they are not all that they are cracked up to be and they will do anything to hold on to your money!
 13th of Nov, 2008 by   V. Lethco +3 Votes
I ordered the magoc jack on november 2nd 2008. I paid extra money to have it delivered in 3 days> I have not yet to see it and it has been 11 days. I just went on the live chat on there web site and now they say they dont have my order. I didnt not re-order I will have to speak with my husband first about this. But my mother in law does work for and attorney firm and If they dare try to bill me there will be trouble!! How can a company have a website and comercails on tv if they are just going to scam people. That is not patrioic. Unless they are from another country and this is one of them scams that go around. I dont know we will have to see.
 16th of Nov, 2008 by   shane 0 Votes
i went immediately and checked this out and the truth is i got a live assistant, his name was bruce and he was indeed a human being and not some internet bot. so everyone who says magic jack has no live/human support is untrue, and most likely are to stupid to even place a call corectly.
to stupid to take 5 minutes and read the damn instructions. i had no trouble at all and i never even seen a magic jack or its instructions. so to many retards blaming and condeming companies and it is their own stupidity causeing their problems.
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   Scotty McB +1 Votes
Magic jack is a great product, I will save over $2000.00 in 5 years by dumping my monoply phone company. You do need a fast internet service. This is one of the best investments I have ever made. Please ignore the previous comments, they apparently don't know how to use simple eletronics!
 26th of Nov, 2008 by   kathy +2 Votes
the 1st comment is true..you know what S Brown(comment 2)..i think your from the company that's why your depending the magic jack...stupid...
 27th of Nov, 2008 by   pete 0 Votes
I think the magic jack is great I am getting rid of my phone. I have been eseing it for three weeks without a hitch it took five minutes to install and works great I wonder if you guys are just idiots?
 29th of Nov, 2008 by   Paul +1 Votes
Purchased the product in March 2008. Works as adverstised. It's not a seamless replacement for a landline, and I can't compare it to other VOIP products, but it works as adverstised and I have no plans to stop using it any time soon. It has saved me about $500 so far this year and I expect similar savings to continue indefinitely.

The only flaw I have found with this product that causes me any inconvenience is the necessity of dialing the area code for local calls most of the time. This seems like a big deal until you get used to it, and now that I am used to it, I wonder why I ever thought it was a big deal. I just think of all phone numbers as having ten digits now, and have no problems.

Make sure you follow the instructions, plug the device into the USB port on a computer and not a USB hub that doesn't have its own power. Make sure that your broadband connection has bandwidth, if you are using the same connection for heavy downloading then you will have VOIP issues no matter what VOIP product you use (such as Vonage, etc).

The sound quality is flawless, the voice mail and caller id work perfectly, and I am convinced that cheap VOIP is the future of the "house phone."

Ignore idiots who spam these review boards with negative tales and biazarre stories. Try it for yourself, it's only a few bucks and you can now buy it at Radio Shack. If it doesn't work you haven't lost much. If it does, you will save 100 times its cost in a couple of years time.
 29th of Nov, 2008 by   JL 0 Votes
I would have to disagree with whoever is not happy with MJ. I truly love the item, I have been using it for the past 6 months and I don't have one complaint. They have an online chat customer service that at least tries to address your concerns or inform you of any issues in an amicable manner.
If anybody has an issue with the item, it might just be that an issue with the item(get it replaced). I thought such deals were a thing of the past or just mistical stories but here I am saying "What a deal". yeeehhaaa!!!
 29th of Nov, 2008 by   JL -1 Votes
On a second note " I love e yu, Magic Jack".
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   Scorpion 0 Votes
I think it's pretty good. I have tried it on really slow 256K cable internet and it works pretty good. I've had mine since Feb or March 2008. I'm taking it to Australia in a month to try there. Hope it works. Only problem I have had is that I just recently changed my phone number. At first there were no area codes in Ky. Only close one was Virgina. Sometimes my phone won't ring. So I am still figuring that out. Could be my phone or where the person calling me is calling my old number or something. They do fail at customer service. U can't find a contact that I have found. I work in IT and it seems like this thing may use SIP. Simple whatever protocol. It is something like how skype and all that works. Just that the lil box converts a signal to send to the phone and ur usb power sends the ring. Something like that I guess. Anyway. Overall I really like the damn thing. I call Australia all the time and it beats the hell outta AT&T phone cards and even those cheap ass Mexicano ones too. El toro or wtf ever they are called. So the international rate for me is pretty good. I'm surprised it works so good on 256K cable internet. All the features like voice mail, 3-way and all that crap works kewl too. I've recommended it to other ppl. O well, there's my 2 fking cents. lol
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
Looking for something else, I happened upon this website, and noticed that there were postings about Magic Jack. I purchased a MagicJack from their website several months ago, then a second last month. I previously had tried Skype, but was put off by the extra charges they asked for things that one normally expects to be a part of telephone service.

With my original Magic Jack unit I had to go to their chat customer service to ascertain the correct computer audio settings, taking a total of probably 10 minutes. Since that time there have been occasions (VERY FEW) when the sound quality was not acceptable, but redialing corrected the problem. As a matter of fact, I many times have asked the persons to whom I was talking about the quality - and they thought I was using a landline! Just a note: the little Magic Jack box - and even the packaging - were of surprisingly good quality; I was quite impressed.

Now --- if you would read, and assimilate, the minimal information provided, you would not have the 'problems' described - and they DO tell you that you pick your phone number, from most any city in the US, which remains yours, but can be changed once for free (though a small charge for subsequent times, if desired). One of the reasons for my purchase is that the unit can be used in ANY country as a LOCAL US phone number - for both incoming and outgoing calls.

I am unable to comment on the credit card complaints, as I had no problems whatsoever. Suffice to say, I have recommended Magic Jack to a number of friends and acquaintances.
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
Magic jack advertised unlimited calling for Local and longdistance calls in USA, after using it for one and half months they blocked the service and asked to call a given number (automated) when I call this number after lot of trials got to a rep who says my magic jack was blocked due to high call volume (advertised as unlimited) and referred me to fineprint in agreement saying they can cancel the service if they F****ing feel its over used... the rep refused to give me what my usage was and what the limit which they call as over usage.
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Jon Donnas 0 Votes
I'm scared magic jack might not be here for good.Is this not a wire-tapping ingenuity of some dubious elements who might even be operating from outside the shores of the United States?
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Connie 0 Votes
i got my first magic jack back in mar07 - i don't have any problem with it. i recommend MJ to everyone i know and the ones that got them recommends it as well. since then, i have been buying them for friends and relatives outside the US, no more bills for international calls. i have friends using it in Philippines, Japan, Costa Rica, Mexico and they all work great. the website tries to upsell when you place an order even though it originally offers a Trial, i just pay the one year and regular shipping each time - and i received the pkg in the mail within the week. I never had any issues with it so I cannot comment on the customer service. I set up the phone number here in the US before i send it out to outside the country and never had any issue each time, it's 'plug and play'. The first time i sent one out to someone who is not computer savvy, i kept the pkg with the troubleshooting instructions just in case i need to walk them through the set up, but when i dialed the number to test - they picked up the phone, i was actually surprised. but like i said it's just plug and play.

Shopping By Season