logo

complaining

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Lowe's Extended Protection Plan, Lowell, Massachusetts Complaints & Reviews - Lowe's protection plan sucks

Lowe's Extended Protection Plan Contacts & Informations

Lowe's Extended Protection Plan

Posted: 2011-01-07 by    Dawnzy

Lowe's protection plan sucks

Lowe's
Lowell, Massachusetts
I purchased a Samsung stackable washer/dryer from Lowe's in October 2009. I had purchased the extended 4 year warranty. In December of 2010 the dryer stopped working. It took them 10 business days to get a service tech over here to tell me it was a broken belt. He said 7-10 more days to get the part. After 7 days of no communication I called Lowe's service only to be told "they can't find the part"! The dryer is a little over a year old. Take it off another dryer!! I was scheduled for a service call today (3 weeks without my dryer) and it was canceled because they didn't ship the part. I called the service company and asked for the part number for the belt I need. I have found the part myself on the internet. It took me 25 minutes, since I had to cross reference the part # (something any online customer service would be more than happy to do). I am assured that my part will be on my doorstep on Monday (today is Friday). I cost $57.00. With shipping. Nice. Once this part is installed by their service tech (don't want to void my "valuable" warranty) I will be sending a letter telling them to shove their warranty and that I want to be reimbursed my $57.00. I don't have high hopes but I have certainly learned a valuable lesson. As you will now, and everyone else I know too. Save your money.
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Lowe's Extended Protection Plan complaints
Lowe's Extended Protection Plan - Failure to Live Up To Promises

Comments

8th of Mar, 2011 by   Anonymous Mom 0 Votes
I had the same problem with Sears several times, so I know your pain! I know that their installers and services techs are busy, but if it is going to take that long, maybe they need to hire more people to help satisfy their customers. How can a customer, especially a family, wait for a washer or dryer to be fixed for that long. I have a washer and dryer because I don't want to go to the laundry mat, to wash or dry my cloths in the same washers and dryers as alot of other people.
 28th of Sep, 2011 by   bubsywub 0 Votes
I purchased a protection plan for a dehumidifier that I purchased in April, 2009. The compressor stopped working so I contacted Lowes. They arranged for in home service on 9/22 between 8am and 12 pm. On 9/20 the repair company called to confirm the service. On 9/22, they NEVER SHOWED UP! I contacted the repair company and got a recorded message. I contacted Lowes and they said that the spoke with the company who said they left messages at BOTH of my contact numbers saying that the technician wasn't going to come on 9/22. That was a downright lie because I NEVER got any messages. Lowes said that the company would contact me when the technician would be "in my neighborhood". It's been nearly a week, and I've had no contact. Lowe's extended warranty is a joke. Although Lowes has some excellent products, I've made a commitment at this point to NEVER buy from Lowes again.
 1st of Oct, 2011 by   TheWayItIs 0 Votes
email epp@lowes.com with your story. that is the source at corporate. the so-called "parts ordering system" is a joke - the service administrator pays minimum fees to the repair companies and waits for the cheapest part. The customer and any hope of efficient service is always secondary to cost savings to them.
 8th of Mar, 2012 by   Extended Plan r frud 0 Votes
I have a Samsung over the range microwave, its handle comes out 2 years after purchase and we had a Extended Protection Plan too. So we call and they replace it promptly . A year and half later it come out again, I guess manufacture fault ?? but this time even tough its the same problem they are denying our claim saying it was intentional damage. This is so absurd to say its intentional...who are they to say such a thing to deny claim.If we are still covered under the Plan, they should handle the claim the same way as it was handle before, its not our fault if Samsung is making appliances that can not last 5 year and need replacement parts every 2 years.I will never buy a Extended Plan ever...and I will never buy Samsung ...Its just a double ripoff ...first from faulty manufacturer and then from retail store.
 13th of Sep, 2013 by   Planetb 0 Votes
I bought the Maytag Bravos "quiet" series 300 washing machine on 4/22/2010 at 17:09pm from store 0631 (with Extended Protection plan ). I noticed the fall of 2011 some rust around the Liquid Bleach dispenser area, but it seemed to wipe off. I noticed as the year went on in 2012 that the rust was coming back and at a worst rate. Last weekend I gave it a closer inspection and noticed the rust was dripping into the basket as well as rust has now shown up between the cabinet and top cover. I took out all my paper works for the washing machine and found the Maytag only has a 1 year warranty (Not surprised..) I then noticed that I bought a 4 year EPP from lowes.com when I bought the washing machine.

I called Lowes and made an appointment. They sent out a company called METRO Factory Service. The Repair guy showed up on time, took one look at the machine and he was pretty much running out the door. He said he could not do anything to fix it and if he put in a claim to have it repaired, they (not sure who “they” would be) would void my Protection plan due to the rust (To me this is a factory issue).. What good is the Protection plan. Some research on this company and lots of reports of hack job fixes and bad reviews come up with just a Google of the company’s name

Metro Factory Service has very bad reviews:

I took some pictures of the machine :

Pictures from 1/27/2013:

Pictures from 8/31/2013:

I questioned some sale guys/girls at different stores (lowes, other places) that try to sell EPP for there stores and they all agree that this is a factory issue and should have been covered. A newer machine like this should not be rusting apart. Paid $900+ for this washing machine .

Below is info I found right from lowes website:

Lowe's Extended Protection Plan:
Functional Parts
Labor
Surge Protection
Normal Wear and Tear
No Lemon

From the FAQ section:

What does an Extended Protection Plan cover?
An EPP covers electrical and mechanical issues, problems caused by dust, heat and humidity. It also covers failure caused by normal wear and tear.

What’s not covered FAQ :

An EPP doesn't cover accidental damage or abuse, routine maintenance and consumables, unless otherwise specified. More exclusions apply. For a complete list, refer to the Terms and Conditions.

This is not accidental damage or abuse. This is not a routine maintenance or consumable. Its painted metal that was not correctly protected at/by the factory.

I priced out the parts online to repair from sears parts website:

Frame PART NUMBER: W10162604 $73.39 (Not sure if this panel has rust on it or not, might not need to be replaced)
Rear panel PART NUMBER: 8566090 $128.11 (Not sure if this panel has rust on it or not, might not need to be replaced)
Cabinet PART NUMBER: 8566097 $183.55
Top Cover PART NUMBER: W10141678 $51.44

I also noticed recently that there is now a grinding sound coming from the washer.. Scared to call as I might get this Metro Factory Service company again and they might put duct tape around the old bearing to fix it..

emailed the above tonight to epp@lowes.com also. Bet it goes into the black hole..
 6th of Oct, 2013 by   TheWayItIs 0 Votes
@planetb - Lowes itself manages its own plans now. Rust is always considered cosmetic under any plan, any retailer. Lowes contracts with local service people who accept their fees. Belts are also not covered as is any "maintenance" part. Electrical and electronic failures are covered. Also, the extra 4 years has ZERO to do with the original 1 year warranty. btw - ONE year warranties have been the norm forever.

5 Tips on Finding a Real Estate Agent