logo

Make over

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

LG refrigerator Complaints & Reviews - Anyone who bought an LG Refrigerator has run into this problem

LG refrigerator Contacts & Informations

LG refrigerator

Posted:    Orlagove

Anyone who bought an LG Refrigerator has run into this problem

Last September, I thought I was buying the most expensive appliance in my lifetime and that I would love it. Sorry to say, that was not a reality. The freezer which is supposed to be frost-free has not been working as a frost-free. I had made calls to the dealer TOM'S APPLIANCE, Grand Ave., Chatham, Ontario and in March one of their employees came and took a look at the problem. He said he will tell the owner of the shop and the repairman, and then he left. One month later still heard nothing from them so I called the store and left a message with the owner's wife. She said she would speak with Mike who had come and seen the problem. Three or four days later, still had not heard from anyone. I stopped by the store and spoke with the owner's wife, personally, and she told me she had left Mike a note, which she showed me, and it had a note on it that they were going to do something about it the next day. Eventually, Paul, a serviceman, came and supposedly adjusted some hose and said that that might fix it. He chopped away at the ice in and around the bottom and helped me clean all the broken ice. Two months later I call them again to let them know that the problem is not solved. This is now July and I don't know what to do. I am wondering if I should ask them to replace the refrigerator as I obviously got a lemon, but I just can't make lemonade with it.

I am wondering if anyone who bought an LG Refrigerator has run into this problem. I know of someone who had bought another brand and had a similar problem with a brand new item. They did change the thermostat for them and it was fixed.

The dealer told me they had never heard of my problem before, so they don't know how to repair it. I can't even open the ice cube drawer because of the ice forming around it. It's frustrating on a hot day when I can't get an ice cube from my fridge freezer. An item I paid over $1,600.00 for.

Comments Canada Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Feb, 2007 by   A M Wright 0 Votes
Do not buy an LG refrigerator. I have had bad relations with customer service, as did my appliance man and am afraid I paid for parts that I did not need to fix a solenoid problem.

I also had a frozen area in the unit. Please beware about trying to fix these items it seems they look good upfront but fail and are a bear to repair.
 2nd of May, 2007 by   Pratap Kumar 0 Votes
Ya!!! My fridge also having the same type of problem in refrigerator compartment, after 9 months of buying the refrigerator problem started. I am also suggesting that not to buy anything by brand name!!!
 24th of Jun, 2007 by   V.Ramanan 0 Votes
I bought an LG Refrigerator 2 years before and i also have the same problem. I haven't had this problem before with other brands.
 13th of Jul, 2007 by   john liu +1 Votes
LG Refrigerator water tube leaks water and damaged my hardwood floor. It also has so many defect parts. It should recall the product.

The quality of the refrigerator is very bad!
 5th of Aug, 2007 by   VIPUL SHAH nadiad gujarat 0 Votes
Before two months we have purchased freeze and after seven visit of their service engineer at our house the issue is not resolved. Very bad experience about service. even after lodging complain to customer care center on 31st July nothing is done by their engineer.

vipul shah.
 14th of Sep, 2007 by   Joyce Patton 0 Votes
LG refrigerators are very very bad. We've had nothing but problems... including the frost in the freezer. Now the freezer has quit working entirely. I wish I had googled "lg sucks" before buying.

DO NOT BUY LG PRODUCTS! My husband is going to take a sledge hammer to our practically new fridge. I'll be posting the video on youtube. Stay tuned.
 17th of Sep, 2007 by   Bad LG Fri.. 0 Votes
I bought an LG French door bottom mount, after 1 year I heard loud scraping noises coming from the bottom freezer. after disassembling the inner back panel I found that a "HUGE" chunk of ice formed on the electronics. It appears that the drip hose for the ice maker was leaking onto the electronics inside the back panel and began to freeze forming near the condensation fan. I defrosted the ice wiped down the wiring and reassembled the back panel as it was. I noticed that the drip hose for the ice maker has a slit in it (probably to allow for expansion and contraction) NOTE: IF YOU FIND YOUR HOSE LEAKING JUST FLIP IT SO THE SLIT IS FACING UP! This should prevent drops of water from forming at the back of the freezer.
 28th of Sep, 2007 by   Ben Nelson 0 Votes
I ran into the same problem with ice forming in the back of the freezer. It got bad enough that it blocked the vents that lead to the refrigerator compartment, so the fridge stopped working.

I called the closest appliance repair place that is an "official" LG repairer and was told that this problem is really common.

She said I was lucky the ice hadn't built up enough to damage the fan and motor in the freezer.

I was told the problem is the main board. There is a circuit board on the back of the fridge under a panel held on by 3 screws. This controls the defrost feature and everything else on the fridge. I was told they manufactured a big batch of these that were essencially defective - the defrost feature eventually just gives out.

The last digit on my board part number is "A". For the replacement part, they are now up to "J". That means they have already updated this part over a half dozen times.

I am currently fighting with LG about getting this covered under warranty. My fridge is 1&1/2 years old, and only came with a 1-year warranty (should have bought it in Canada - they get a two year warranty)

It is obviously a manufacturing defect. A circuit board has no moving parts, and is not easily accessable to damage the way a handle or hinge is. it is not a "maintenance item".

There is no reason why the board shouldn't work, and that they shouldn't replace it if it doesn't.
 6th of May, 2008 by   TIMIRGANDHI 0 Votes
I had persue one refrigerator from BHAVNAGAR, gujarat(INDIA)before 2.5 months, n then after within 1 month it started malfunctioning

then after 1st service i was suffering with same problem.

Then once again i given it in service still since last month i didnt get any reply from ur company about my rfgertor status.

So its my humble request to u that pls u guide me about the formalities and proper approach for complain.

regards,
timirgandhi
 22nd of May, 2008 by   JByron 0 Votes
LG refridgerator LFX model, bottom freezer, was defective in the box and continues to be defective. LG should refund all monies that they have aquired from an over priced lemon which they know about, yet will not replace, an or issue a refund. Do Not Buy LG anything!
 4th of Jun, 2008 by   Very dissatisfied LG customer 0 Votes
DO NOT, DO NOT!!! BUY ANY LG PRODUCTS. LG DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS, THEY HAVE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEIR PRODUCTS. I PURCHASED AN LG REFRIGIRATOR LFD25860 FOR ALMOST $2, 000 AT BEST BUY THIS WAS MY FIRST LGPRODUCT AND IT WILL BE MY LAST. I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT SINCE THE FIRST DAY IT WAS DELIVERED TO MY HOME. I HAVE HAD MANY REPAIR MEN THAT HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIX IT.I HAVEHAD PROBLEMS WITH THE FREEZER, WITH THE WATER DISPENSER WITH THE ICE MAKER AND NOW AFTER A YEAR AND A HALF IT COMPLETELY BROKE. I CAME ACROSS THIS WEBSITE LOOKING FOR LG PARTS BECAUSE NO ONE CARRIES THE PARTS AND MY REPAIR MAN NOW IS HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING THE PART TO TRY AND GET THIS LEMON WORKING. " DO NOT BUY ANYTHING LG" IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU HAVE MADE, I KNOW IT WAS MINE.
 19th of Jun, 2008 by   MC 0 Votes
file a complainte with the Attorney General office in you state, you paid for it when you pay your taxes.
 11th of Jul, 2008 by   j martin 0 Votes
Our new refridg. was purchased from Sears as a Kenmore . (made by LG). We noticed television interference on the lower channels ( below 7). We have an antenna on the roof. Those with cable or satelite may not notice this. It appears as diagional rows or curves of dot throughout the picture. The interference seems to be caused by the digital electronics in the fridg. T he Sears repairman verified this and Sears is in the process of replacing it with another Kenmore made this time by Amana. We have pur fingers crossed. The new one is due today. Sears said that the first refridg. was made by LG. I called the FCC and discussed their Part 15 rules . They said that tvi is an increasing problem with refridg. The cause is all the digital electronics and poor design. We have 3 tv's on different circuits ...no matter, TVI on all.
 7th of Aug, 2008 by   Scott 0 Votes
We have had the same type of problems. First we had the ice build-up behind the freezer against the fan. Then we find that no one fixes LG products. Well after popping a few screws and running a hair dryer for an hour I got it all defrosted and it worked great. 4 Months later now the ice maker doesn't work at all. This is a piece of junk and will be the last LG product I buy. I own rental homes for a living and we purchase used standard refrigerators for about $100 and they work great for 3-4 years then we replace them. I paid 20 times that for this crap.
 26th of Aug, 2008 by   Cecilia Hernandez 0 Votes
The only thing I have to say is that what ever you do make sure you stay away from LG appliances unless you do not have anything else better to do with it. In September 2007 I bought all my appliances LG, range (LRE30955) refrigerator (LFX25980) microwave (LMVM2075) and the steam washer and drier; all over $12, 000.
Fridge: from the start I had problems with the vegetable trays, they would not come out. This part was replaced. Ten month later the water started to flow continuously from the water dispenser, my floor were ruined. LG refused to change my refrigerator, they have the worst customer support.

Rage: The front element stopped working after the first time I used it. The glass on the oven doors are not sealed so the grease from cooking falls in between; you cannot clean what falls between the two glass panels of the oven door. I call customer support and they told me that was cosmetic and was not included in their warranty.

Washer and dryer; they work fine, except that they are made of cheap plastic and it breaks easily.
Buy KitchenAid, at least their customer support is excellent.
 16th of Sep, 2008 by   sherri stewart 0 Votes
I had problems with the LG frig not defrosting, also the motor, the computer board, the ice maker and the inside back of the frig was coming loose, I demanded a new one telling them I had a lemon, but i also had problems with the 2nd one also. the lastest and most serious is the inside lights staying on when the doors are closed, this causing all the food to warm and it melted the plastic cover, this is a fire hazard, but LG doesn't give a damm. i have written many letters, emails and contacted the BBB and LG have not called or contacted me in any way. I will continue to warn everyone NOT TO PURCHASE ANY LG PRODUCT, this includes cell phones, T.V. ect.
 20th of Sep, 2008 by   Dave Alexander 0 Votes
I have owned an LG fridge for about 5 years and has until now worked fine, however I have started to get ice buildup on the bottom of the freezer unit. It's like a skating rink on the bottom, not a frost build up all over, just a layer of ice on the bottom. Temperature seems O.k.

The door seal, seems to be O.k.

The fridge temperature may not be as cold either.

I am wondering if anyone knows what is casuing this problem. I am assuming a particular part is not working properly, given the fact that is has worked fine for 5 year.

We did recently thaw the fridge out for a day to get rid of frost etc., and the problem seems to have started after that.

Thanks
 28th of Sep, 2008 by   nitin 0 Votes
we bought 3 fridge last to last year and all have some problem.2 times i have to send it to service center but the problem is at is it. please take a quick action otherwise i w'll go to" UPBHOKTA PHORUM"
 5th of Oct, 2008 by   LAD 0 Votes
Our refridgerator is 1.5 years old. Not only did we experience the lights staying on and scorching the inside of the unit. We now have the Freezer Fan error at least every other day. Unplugging it worked for a while, but now the unit sits empty and off. We are at a loss on what to do with such an expensive not working appliance. We are very disappointed and will not by LG again.
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by   Janet 0 Votes
I purchased LG lfx21960st in Feb 07. Last week I have an error message of er if . At first no one could tell me what that meant. Now I am told that they have to pull the interior of my freezer out and screw in a sheet of plastic to keep the ceiling from falling in!!! When I tried to pin LG down as to what caused that, the skirted the issue and put me on hold for 30 minutes.. (Do I have patience??) . The area of FL where I live the repair men are not very bright, that goes for sears, and Brighthouse...I do not like the idea of them screwing plastic in my freezer to stop the ceiling from falling in...This is suppose to stop the fan from freezing up as it will add more insulatiuon!! My fridge cost $2799.00 and I have a hunk of junk..No more LG for me... I was smart enough to prchase the extended warranty!!!

Swine Flu Vaccine Scam