Lenscrafters / Transition Lenses

Defective transition lenses

Greenville, South Carolina
I also purchased transition lenses and started to see "smudges" and thought it was just dirt. I cleaned and cleaned. It was just a tiny bit at the top of one lens. Much time passed. The original side never got much worse but then the other side started and progressed rapidly. I said that it looked like the lenses were separating and told that "it just never happens." I had now had them about 2 years but had worn them rarely (I mostly wear contacts). Finally it became obvious that they really were separating and I could barely see out of them. I heard from another eye doctor that others had had the same thing happen. I went back to Lenscrafters. They looked at the purchase date and said that the batch had been defective but I had waited too long. My tough luck. At about $400, I had hoped to get more wear out of them. My complaint was that if Lenscrafters knew that the batch was defective, they should have contacted every person who had purchased those glasses, told them of the defect and offered to fix them for free. I also will never go back to that business. If defective cars and other products get recalled, why can't glasses do the same?
Complaint comments Comments (7) Complaint country United States Complaint category Vision, Glasses, Lenses
Was the above complaint useful?

16th of Sep, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I bought a pair of glasses approximately 1 1/2 yrs ago.
Recently the transitions coating started to flake off. I made contact with the store but they indicated the
problem was with the lab my insurance company uses . Hmm sounded like the store wanted to get out of replacing my glasses. I believe they should stand behind their product. I was told the batch of transitions were defective. Did u have any luck getting the transition company to replace?
 28th of Sep, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I bought my glasses fron Lenscrafters on 3-4-09 and I took them back . They said they didn't know why they couldn't get the rather large smudge off the top right corner of my glasses. They have smudges clear around the lenses now, 9-28-10. I am so upset and so mad that they didn't inform me. They obvously don't want me as a customer. My first pair were $500 for frame and lenses. They were completely hazy
within 2 yrs. And these started messing up within a year and I had to pay $500 just for the lenses. I thought that I would save some money by keeping my old frames. Not only that, my nose pieces turn green.
I wish I had never gone there. I am so disapointed with them.
 19th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
I bought my glasses in ohio in 2010, also my lenses (orange peeled) they were unuseable, cloudy and my vision was as if looking threw a dirty shower door. when I took them back i was told they were two years old and i needed new glasses any how. they told me my glasses got exposed to heat. hummm sunglasses outside in the sun? they were no more exposed than my face. I will never buy transition lenses again they dont last and cost too much.
 1st of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
So when did this so-called "new" kind of transitions come out?
 1st of Aug, 2011 by    -1 Votes
that made no sense. I meant to say, When did this so-called "new" kind of transitions come out?
 2nd of Jun, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Guess I should have done my legwork. Got glasses from Lenscrafters thinking I had purchased Transition lenses like my mother did for me long ago. Notice the difference after a few months. Fist the smudge then what appeared to be small glass breaks in the lenses. Great one hour service but the service turned out to be not worth the time, glasses or my money. Lenscrafters, I wouldn't recommend their transitions to anyone! Ever in Life!!!
 5th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
I just finished speaking with LensCrafters in Dartmouth, Massachusetts about my transition lenses. I purchased them in July 2010 and, over the past several months, they have gradually begun to craze and I've noticed rippling in the coating. I went to the store and found their posture is that the lenses are too old and there's nothing they can do to fix the problem. This store has always had excellent customer service so I was surprised that there was no effort to fix the problem. I was offered the current sale price of 30% off if I got a new pair of glasses. Based on earlier comments I guess I should be happy I made it two years. I was told that new glasses now are only covered for 90 days and, if a customer wants breakage protection or damage protection, they need to purchase a warranty plan -- the latest in profit for a lot of companies. Lexotica recently purchased LensCrafters and now has a lock on their frames but the rest of the businesses policies. Bottom line -- I'll get my glasses elsewhere! LensCrafters has seen the last of me.

LensCrafters Logo LensCrafters