Legacy Collect Calls

Over Priced

Legacy Collect
This company is a rip off, it's used in prisons for inmates to make collect calls. My cousin called me several times collect through this Legacy Co. I had to enter my credit card #. We were never able to connect, although the voice message stated that our call was connected. I later checked my
Credit card account and saw that I was charged $12.15 and $13.40 for each attempted call that was never connected. How do I contact this rip off company. The name of the company is Legacy Collect Calls.
Complaint comments Comments (20) Complaint country United States Complaint category Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful?

10th of Jan, 2012 by    0 Votes
Exactly the same thing happened to me last night. My mother was calling me collect from JFK and I received the message to enter my charge card info to connect. I was concerned about putting in all the info: card number, expiration, billing zip code, and three digit security number into the call and almost threw my phone across the room when the message said that it was connecting - and in fact ended the call. I tried again and the exact same thing happened. Phone calls back to the number resulted in a busy signal. Customer service had already closed their offices (West Coast) with no off hours resolution. I am attempting to send the online complaint form that I just found with a web search but am quite discouraged with the number of unsolved customer complaints on this, and other, boards. If I ever get a collect call from this service again, I will grudgingly ignore it and try other ways to communicate.
 1st of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am outraged at Legacy Collect Calls!!! My Daughter called I think form a payphone from San Diego. I am only 29 miles away. The questionable sounding male operator said it is $26 for 3 minutes. It is outrages, but I took the call because I needed to find out her whereabouts.
I know I talked no more then 3 or 4 minutes, and I was billed $39.90
It is Sunday, cannot do anything about it, but will follow up tomorrow.
Try not to accept collect calls from Legacy Collect calls!
 16th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have received the same kind of service in a collect call my son tried calling me from the hospital in another town. Legacy Collect ask for phone# credit card # expiration date, three digit # on back. waited for my son to speak, and I was cut off, without saying a word, and was charged 39.90 on my card, but I only had 11.43 on account, so Legacy took that, and tried again to take the rest. This company need to be shut down. Charging a huge amount for NO SERVICE...0-0-0-0-.
 15th of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
this company is nothing more than a bunch of con artist and sand niggers that rip people off by failure to disclose.
 18th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
I was trying to make a long distant phone call with both coins and creditcard number, without an representative, but somehow always got through to one, without requesting it. They tried once to connect my call but there was no answer - and I got an answering machine a couple of times. After these attempts I got charged $26.5 EACH TIME, so 3 TIMES makes $79.5!!! Which is CRAZY. I called them and they offered 20% off - and will refund it. But I am furious that they can allow themselves to charge that much for absolutey nothing.
 21st of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
My sister called me from Chicago airport for 30 seconds and I have a bill of $21. Why is this company allowed on airports if there are so many complaints?
 27th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
Achtung Warnung: Meine Tochter telefonierte mit Legacy Collect Calls vom Flughafen in Chicago für ca. eine Minute nach Conneticut. Dafür wurden 18, 96 Us-Dollar (11 EURO) fällig. Gleichzeit sperrt VISA in Deutschland ihre Kreditkarte weil sie das Unternehmen als Betrugsversuch einstuften.
 4th of Dec, 2013 by    0 Votes
This company is a complete rip off. I had a 30 second domestic collect call and got charged over $16. I called the customer service, and I was told that the connection fee is $15 with additional charge per minute. The connection fee is absolutely absurd, and I don't know how this company has lasted so long and operates at major airports. It is ridiculous! People would never use their service had there been a clear notice on the public phone or a message prior to entering the credit card regarding the absurdly high prices. This company needs to be shut down and removed from major airports. DO NOT USE THEIR COLLECT CALLS. Find other ways!
 12th of Dec, 2013 by    0 Votes
Took a collect call from my brother in a Charlotte, NC detox. Talked maybe 3 minutes after having to put in my credit card number. Just looked at my CC bill to find a $25.30 charge. These people apparently make a business of taking advantage of customers. At those rates, the person taking the call should be advised as to how much the call will cost per minute (or second in their case!). Look before you leap.
 24th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
I was charged extra $11.48 + $1 for a only 30secs' call to my friend in BOS Airport when using legacy collect call. It is ridiculous. How could I get my money back? This company should shut down.
 17th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
I made a 5 min call from San Diego to Oceanside and they charged me $40 + $1. They mislead customers by saying it's only 50c for 3 mins and )1 for international calls. Is there any way to contest these malicious charges?
 30th of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes
My wife called me from Chicago airport for 2 minutes and I have a bill of $21.41 . Why is this company allowed on airports if there are so many complaints? My wife read 50c for a minute notice on booth and they are saying $21.41 is correct charge...
How do we get the money back ?
 14th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
I landed at JFK on 9th around noon. Called my brother in law for a minute to check if they were coming. Legacy charged me $11.2 for a call less than a minute and never mentioned the cost.
I can easily guess who runs this company and I will go after them
 8th of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
I was expecting a call from my wife who just landed at Boston airport. When i got a call from some unknown number, initially I denied it as it was asking my credit card information.Then again I got the call from the same number, I picked it up and when I heard my wife's recorded voice, I entered the necessary card information. The call lasted for about 9 minutes and by that time this dubious company had already stolen $34.93 from my bank. To add salt to wound, it has charged some $2 for the denied call. Do not forget the dollar my wife also had to pay..
Such a shame!! It has to be kept in open auction and no one even buys it even if it offers free ****
 2nd of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
My wife lost her cell phone at the TSA checkpoint in Las Vegas. She called me collect from O'hare when she realized her phone was missing to start the search. She called 2 more times for an update. 3 calls--3 minutes total-- $51.
I am going to be filing a complaint with the FCC.
 21st of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
i made a 15 minute call and they charged my card over 5.00 for a collect call i did not make
 2nd of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
Unblievable! $16 for a less than one minute call. Rip off company. Ad states fifty cents for 2 minutes. I smell class action here.
 4th of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
the same thing happened to me. i was charged the amount of 17.05 on my card. without any explanation as to why they charged my card.
after a one time use for a collect call i had accepted and they charged my card 2.00. woke up to another charge from them. i called my card company and had advised them i never authorized this charge and had them stop the charge.
 10th of Nov, 2015 by    0 Votes
My wife used the card at the airport to use the phone service. The phone device shows the rate of 50 cents.As she did not have any change, she used the card assuming the charge will be 50Cents. Howevr they charge 7.84USD+1USD is a pending charge for a call she made and talked for less than a minute. I looked up online for this vendor and found lot of people complaining about this service provider. Therefore i decided to dispute these charge. Hope someone takes action againt this company who does not have any transperancy in charges
 23rd of Nov, 2015 by    0 Votes
I have the same complaint, I received a call from my daughter in the hospital, and nothing was mentioned as far as connection fees or anything. The call lasted less than 10 minutes, and I was charged $35.00. I called Legacy to complain, and they took 15 percent off, big deal. I said whoever runs this company is nothing but a money hungry ass, , taking advantage of people who are down and out. Rip off artists!!

Contact Us