Confessions of a former LA Fitness employee

Former LA Fitness Employee:

After reading the numerous complaints on this board I feel the need to coroborate many of the issues facing LA Fitness. I want to first ofer my "inside" details of how LA Fitness operates its business. Let's begin with mangement or the lack of.

LA Fitness does not offer any formal training nor does it provide continuing education in the crucial area of managing personnel. LA Fitness also uses a very narrow metric for promotion within its manager ranks. This simple metric used is “sales” if you’re a great salesman you get promoted. That is it! Also, LA Fitness draws heavily from an employment pool lacking in maturity. Many of their "GM's" are simply children doing the work an adult should be doing. But paying adults appropriately would cut into Mr Welch building his new mutli million dollar house in Malibu California. Yep, its the truth folks. Same Wall Street menatality at LA Fitness.

As a customer, please don't put your health or your money in the hands of people who do not care about you after you've provided them a credit/debit card or check. Not to mention many of the people selling memebrships or personal training are not properly trained or educated to give anyone advice related to health and fitness. Also, these "agreements" that management likes to call are "contracts" don't be duped into their snake oil salesman type selling. Once you've swiped your card you're pretty much history regarding any value added customer service.

Another issue facing LA Fitness is their high turnover. I'm sure many of you have seen this at the clubs you frequent. How many times have you had a differnet trainer over the course of several months? If you're the average LA Fitness customer odds are you are likely to have 3-5 trainers during the course of your "contract." Why is this? Simply put, LA Fitness doesn't give two red cents about its employees. That coupled with there "creative" ways they have employees "punch in" for compensation has always been a source of confussion for its employees. Just ask an employee to explain it you. They're always looking for a way to screw their employees to save a few cents while their poor cusotmer service issue is left like a festering sore. Another tid bit worth mentioning, LA Fitness management would prefer the trainer not to call his/her clients if they are out sick. Why?????? Because some district manager gets a nice cut from the number of people who have walked through the door. Disgusting, isn't it?!?! So, they would rather a scheduled client come through the door angry than to have been notified by the trainer.

All things considered, I could not, would not recommend LA Fitness as a place for employment. Nor could I recommend it as a service to purchase. And all the previous complaints I've read are true. The stories I have heard and witneesed are dispicable on all levels of business. And to Mr Welch of LA Fitness, I hope the home you're building is close to a cliff! You F N SOB!!!

Complaint comments Comments (49) Complaint country United States Complaint category Employers
Was the above complaint useful?

27th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

LA Fitness - Misrepresentation
LA Fitness

I paid first and last month fees. When I tried to terminate my membership, they told me the "last month" that I paid was really another fee and that I owed for the last month. I refused to pay it so they would not let me use the facilities for the last month.
 6th of May, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Wow i thought i was the only one to feel this way about the company.
 15th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I Currently work at LAF and I agree 100% with what you have said. In fact I believe you were rather light on the criticism of LAF, is operations, and treatment of employees and members.
 27th of Sep, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I currently work at LA Fitness as well and would definitely say I disgree with these comments 100. As an employee and a young female I have found there is no limits to a career with this company, and have been involved in daily and weekly sales and management trainings. They genuinely care about their people and supported me with paid medical leave last month when I had surgery. They have great benefits after 60 days of employment and great vacation and sick pay. As far as knowledge on health and fitness, all of our personal trainers are certified through the state and are very well educated in fitness. I am also a client on personal training and lost 18 pounds the right way. As far as caring about our members, we have a great complimentary 60 day follow up program to help motivate and ensure the use of the membership for all new members and I've had nothing but a great response to customer service at our facility. If as an employe or a customer your not 100% satisfied please do make a complaint to our operations staff in club, and your matter will be resolved quickly. We maintain a high level of customer service and if not we make the changes necessary to make it better right away. Try out the club for yourself before letting someone else make up your mind for you

Nicole Ybarrondo
General Manager
4s Ranch (858)676-6806
 1st of Oct, 2009 by    -1 Votes
nicole... you're a gm. You may be treated well. Try being a personal trainer and making only 6 dollars on a 30-40 dollar 30 minute personal training session. No benefits, no insurance. no disability...they don't care about their employees at all!!
 17th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
this complaint makes absolutely no sense... therefore I do not believe it... how could you be so gullable to believe that in the first place...it takes two eyes to read your MONTH to MONTH agreement
 29th of Oct, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I am really big on Customer Service and work as well; during my sign up the sales rep guy who took care of us was arrogant and prejudice, he really was having hard time with us trying to be as nice a possible. What's even worse he refuse to recognize us when he passes by. It's not even as clean, I have hard time going to the bathroom which is always dirty. One of my friend was in process to applying a few months back, and instead of her number being privately held by the managers or whoever was responsible of hiring that day, same day an employee calls her back looking for some stranger, how professional is that?? Now I regret having membership with them instead of 24 hour at least who have adults and do better customer service. I am glade Q club went out, they took $50 bucks out of my account when I was a teenager when they were trying to just give me pass for a week without a charge, never got the week pass and lost money.
 6th of Nov, 2009 by    -1 Votes
If you have a complant be a man and show up to La Fitness or contact the VP who is easily availible to any and all employees or members. There is a reason that La fitness is the fastest growing fitness club in the world. They strive to have the nicest cleanest and most convenient facilities in the nation. This complaint was written by an old sales guy that was given a chance to make some good money and couldnt even get his own family and friends to buy a membership from him. Hey James if you couldnt make money a recession proof industry, good luck making a dime in the real world. Stop writting BS on a random complaint board and get a JOB that will train you like your a F N tard. If u cant sell a membership to a person who wants to change ther life for the better your better off taking orders at IN n OUT. Peace out James and ggod luck in life, your going to need it.
 14th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

LA Fitness - Continuing to take money after cancellation
LA Fitness

I started sending written requests of cancellation in July 2009, as the contract specifies.

After SIX letters, they are still taking money out of my account, in November.
 18th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
Gross Place to work, Operations is overworked, Sales is full of shit, the trainers have overweight individuals doing lunges on a step and step ups. They have the same exercises for somewhat conditioned people too. Cutting the aerobic coordinators and making the operations cover the classes. There will be pleanty missed classes. It is not worth working here. They are a sinking ship. They have no regard for anyone. Customer Service is bad and just getting worse!!!
 5th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I work for LA part time as PT! Agree 100%
Customer service, employee care and wages are SUCKS! As a fitness Pro I would not realy care, what is going on for 7.50 per session! KIDS are doing men job. They dont have ANY clue how to train and any care about clients!
To get a job at LA is 6 hrs certification for PT or sales! That is a joke! What average person learn in 6 hrs abt kinseology or anatomy?! NONE.
*It is so close to my house and it is cheap!* Does not worth a penny paid! Will regress and injur with improper personal training!
 30th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes

LA Fitness - cancelled Fox news
LA fitness

I enjoy watching fox news while I work out but LA Fitness has stoped airing Fox and only allows CNN to be shown and I for one will be getting my workouts from anouther gym from now on and hope others will follow suit.
 7th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
I agree 100%. Executives are arrogant and don’t know how to manage people. Salespeople are pushy. Personal trainers are unknowledgeable. Front desk employees are unprofessional. Group fitness instructors are hit-and-miss. Everyone except the highest executives is underpaid. The clubs are either new and shiny, or old and filthy. If you’re looking to build a career in the fitness industry, you can do much better than LA Fitness.
 13th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
all these reviews are true. I am still working at LA Fitness after taking the job in Operations because I didnt want to sit on unemployment. Now i realize I gave up just as much money on UI as I am making working 40hrs a week with no room for advancement
 16th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
I can't comp;ain yet. I will need to cancel my membership and personal trainer contract due to the economy and how our income has decreased since we became members.

Overall I am pleased with my results. In 4 months I've lost 12 pounds, I feel stronger, not as much pain in the knees and shoulder, and the other benefit, better sex.

I am moving my membership to another club, more than half the price for the membership. The personal trainers costs are close to the same at all of the clubs.

So, I guess the deciding factor is how they handle my cancelation.
 27th of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Origonal post absolutley true. I was an employee for 4 years, started young and didn't know any better. BTW I believe Nicole Ybarrondo was soon terminated after her post? Call her and ask why. She may have also forgot how she had a broken leg and her VP Ben Venezuala harrassed her to come to some big greaseball meeting the next day. I was a GM, and let me tell you, it doesn't matter how high up you get, you'll always be treated like shit. "Worked like dogs, but paid like kings" is Luis Welch's motto. This horrible business is the responsibility of its owners, Luis Welch, the voice of the company, a greedy heartless sob, his wife Michu Welch, who runs the operations and Facilities, another dark hearted women who gets off cussing a storm at her employees and firing them on will, and chin yei, who talks a little, but hasn't much to do with his employees, although he pretends to. All of the Executives were recently demoted then later quit, even guys that have been with the company 20 years. Warning: Dont become a member, Dont become an employee, you will undoubtedly regret it.
 17th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes

South Windsor

It is about the indoor pool. Me and my friends we are members since it opened.They say they are going to close the pool for a week. We think a couple days will be enough to fix anything since it is a brand neww location!.
 10th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes

LA Fitness - Transfer Regular member to multi club excess with an offer
Chula Vista

I'm a member of LA fitness since long time and I received an e-mail from LA fitness that offering multi club excess. I called LA fitness no one willing to help, there are telling me go on public relations@lafitness.com but it does not give me any help. so how can I be multi club excess member ? Thanks
 2nd of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
These posts are great! As a previous employee at LA Fitness (3 years), I couldn't agree more with the original post. This place was run like a circus side show! I worked up the corporate ladder to General Manager only to realize that my hard work would never pay off. Heavy turnover is a testament to how much Mr. Welsh cares about his employees! I've been speaking with several ex-employees about all the funny/horrible things that went on behind the scenes and I'm currently working on a sitcom (with financial backing). If you want to contribute, tell me about the poor service you received or perhaps a funny story about your employment at LA Fitness! Send me an email! Once I get enough material for the first 6 episodes, we may be watching it on tv ( in the near future) Lafit215@gmail.com
 7th of Feb, 2011 by    -1 Votes
I have worked with LA Fitness for 5 months now. I work in the kidz club at 8 bucks an hour. Not only was I never told anything about the benefits I was not given any of the papers I signed when I first applied and I was not able to read anything before I signed( that was bad on my part but the manager is to blame too.) The manager told me he was in a hurry and if I could just sign on the electronic pad and he would read it to me.
The manager at my place is so rude not only to the employees but to the members as well. He was just given a promotion to some position where he is in charge of the complaints customers have. I have heard him on the phone and he is so rude if I was a member I would quit just because I don’t pay money to someone to be treated the way he treats members.
He also has the employees lie about our hours so he looks good. If a child's parent is late picking them up and we have to stay pass 8:00pm we put that we stayed late so let’s say 8:15 he wants us to put it back and he tells us to make up the time another day and come in late 15 mins. I don’t feel it is right to lie on a time card and I am taking the risk of getting fired. I went two whole pay periods before I could make it up.
He also has no care about the safety of the child as long as he does not have a parent yelling at him. He finally had to fire an employee because I told him a parent was going to go over his head and bring problems for him for letting a employee he knew shock babies still work there. He should have been fired years ago.
I was never told by anyone I could work out for free I was told nothing. My manager has never told me about any heath benefits and my co worker has worked there for over 6 years and she also knows nothing of any health benefits either.
We are never reimbursed for any money we put out of our own pockets for the children. I buy coloring books and toys. If you think the kidz club is clean you are wrong nothing gets sterilized it is covered in germs. So many of the toys are licked and sucked by children and they go back into the toy box that way. We are not given sanitizer, and if we buy it we don’t get reimbursed for it. I have called out sick once since working there and I was not paid for it because I am a part time employee.
My manager has not spoken to me in over a month, I walk pass him every day he ignores me. He is the most unfriendly individual. Parents are always complaining to me but what can I do about it. He also is always yelling profanity in the gym so members are always hearing him. A manager should never be talking the way he does to employees.
In December I was asked to come in and do fingerprints and fill out all this important paper work with my personal information on it with SSN, address, weight, height, and phone numbers, I came in on my day off and I did everything. A few days later my manager comes in to the kids club and says I never gave him the paper work, I reply with yes I did and you photo copied it. He said the company must have lost it could I travel on my time off to redo the process at the finger print place. I had a double shift that day and I had to be back to work in a few hours I get home and I called the finger print company to ask them why and how could you lose my personal information. and they were upset with me that I was accusing them of a serious issue, they called up my manager to talk to him, well it comes out that my manager lost the important paper work not them and the finger print company did not need me for anything he need the paperwork. So somewhere out there in the gym or wherever is my person information which could be used for identity theft. I was so mad he was going to waste my day and all he needed was the paper work I had at home (my copy), I went into work and gave him everything and he acts like is no big deal. Other companies would have paid for a company to watch my identity in case someone steals it, not him he acts like whatever his problem is gone.
I also hate when the sales people bring potential members into the kids club and lie to them saying we all CPR certified and TB tested. We are not; I was never told I had to be, so if your kid chokes he is out of luck because I can’t save him I would try my best.
I use to be a member at LA fitness years ago and I had a personal trainer he told me that not all of the personal trainers are actually certified some of them were trying to be but they were not at the time certified. My personal trainer saved a person’s life because he saw the signs of a stroke a member was having and that member had a personal trainer and that trainer was clueless.
The machines at the gym are so old I think they are the originals. The YMCA has way newer machines. Most of the times the parents come into complain that the treadmill is broken.
I have never worked at a company that is so unorganized and so unprofessional. I am not even given my pay slip because I have direct deposit, they said just go on to the computers at work and look at it. I should not have to go on to a work computer to look at my pay slip I should be able to access that information at home too. But I know that I should be given a pay slip. I waited four months before doing direct deposits because of knowing you did not get pay slips and they are always screwing up hours. I finally had enough of waiting a week for my pay check because my manager forgot to give it to me. I should not have to wait a week before getting my pay check. I was just told a few weeks ago you could access on the work computer when pay days would be. I was never trained or given any details of the job, all they cared about was that I could handle kids. I like the people I work within the kids club. The sales people are shady but that is a sales person for you.
I might seem naïve but I honestly need a job that can work around my school schedule and it gives me an extra 200 dollars month. My biggest pay check was a little over 300 dollars, I am not making the big bucks I know but I should not be treated like crap either. I think it is a lot of reasonability to look after children and I think we are being taken advantage. The kids club is 15 dollars a month for your children to be there two hours every day and during the week you can come morning and evening for a total of four hours a day, which is nothing. 24 hours is more expensive but maybe there employees are CPR certified.
Tip: Sales people are always pissing the kids club attendants off with when parents sign up for the kids club and they have two children they have them pay for one child, or if you have three children paying for two children and getting the third in for free. That pisses us off because the kids club gets nothing out of it but more children. We also love when the front desk and even our manager pockets the cash the parents give for the kids club.
To sum it up LA Fitness is the worst employment I have ever been with. It will get me through school and that is it. If I worked with assholes in kids club I would have quit but I like the people I work around. I would not recommend employment or membership to LA Fitness, no wonder they are no for being a ghetto gym now. If I was looking into gyms personally I would look into the YMCA or doing a class at the local community college which is only 26 dollars for three months. Thanks for reading this long rant but it helps to get it off your chest.

LA Fitness Logo LA Fitness