Kenmore Oven

Oven Door Exploded

Sears/ Kenmore
I can't believe it, I never heard of an oven door exploding but that is exactly what happened today with my 3 year old Kenmore, freestanding range. It was not even on and the last time I had used it was 2 weeks ago. I was in the kitchen and had just walked out when I heard a sound like ice breaking, then the sound of falling glass onto the floor. When I went back into the kitchen to investigate I was shocked to find glass falling from my oven door and my kitchen floor covered in it. Immediately, I called Sears repair line wanting someone out here immediately to document the situation first hand, although no one was cut, this was potentially a major safety issue, but their 1st concern was that my warranty had expired and I would be responsible for the $129.00 service call plus parts, and the soonest they could come out was on Fri, July 9th. When I told her this was unacceptable, the situation needed to be looked into now and Sears was lucky no one was injured by the exploding glass, again her concern was the cost of the $129.00 service charge. I tried to explain to her that Sears is lucky I had no small children in front of it when it went and then asked for her name in case there was an injury she would be named in the law suit. I was immediately passed on to someone else who again was concerned about the warranty issue and not the safety issue, and as to whether or not I agreed to pay the fee before sending a tech out. I felt like I was being held hostage, yes I agreed to the fee, how else is it going to be fixed, documented, etc. I asked where I could sent the pictures I had taken to ensure proper documentation of the situation, but was told no need to do that, he was documenting it as we spoke. Yeah, right.
For the past 41 years, since my husband and I have been married we have bought every single one of our appliances from Sears, always a Kenmore, and never had an issue with them. But today I and totally disappointed in them, they have a total disregard for our safety and that of our families. These ranges should be and should have been recalled years ago and were not. We should be given the option to trade it in for another brand.
Sears has lost a loyal customer and I will be there to speak out against them from this point on if they do not make this situation right.
Complaint comments Comments (43) Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

5th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
The oven of my Kenmore stove exploded. One day while my neice was heating somthing she set the oven at 400 degress which is quite a normal range. 5 minutes later we heard a crash and we looked in the kitchen and the front door of the stove (which was glass has been completey obliterated.
There were shards of glass thoughout the kitchenwe were thankful that noone was in the kitchen at that time because they would have been surely cut to death.
We then contacted the company Sears and they told us that our stove's warranty had run out. The stove was only 3 years old! They then told us that they could replace the glass at a fantastic price and take our chances or we would have to replace the whole stove.
Needless to say we will not replace the stove from Sears, Kenmore is their in house brand, nor buy anything from Sears ever again. I urge you to do the same because at the very least they are incompetent in their designs or at the worst they plan to have their products expire after a short period of time. In any case they showed themselves not to be friends of the consumer but a inept and unprincipled company.
 14th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
September 27th, 2008, the same thing happened in my home. My Kenmore oven door exploded. It was during a busy dinner-time and it is only by sheer luck and the grace of God that no-one was hurt. It has been 18 days and we're still finding shards of glass here and there.
After 2 weeks of a "back and forth" with Sears, their bottom line is that my warranty expired and it is my responsibility to have it fixed. I don't know why they keep referring to an expired warranty. There is something wrong with a product when it explodes, and in my opinion it should be recalled. It's a safety concern, definitely not a warranty issue.
Today was the final straw. I received an email from the Corporate Customer Service dept. They apologized for the trouble I was having with my REFRIDGERATOR. Give me a break. Are the staff at Sears trained to be blase, nonchalant and indifferent?
So I quickly replied, telling her that it was my STOVE and not the FRIDGE. And it certainly wasn't a warranty issue. At no time did Sears offer an explanation as to why it happened, or offer to send a service man to make sure it was ok to use again. There last email pretty much said, "don't contact us again". I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau, and I guess my next step is to contact the manufacturer, who I believe is GE. I’m so disappointed in the service I received from Sears. It has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. I doubt that I will ever use my stove again, and without a doubt, I can tell you that I'll never shop at Sears again.
 28th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Thanksgiving Day, '08 ..my 3-year old kenmore wall-oven door exploded - shattered glass all over the floor. I have a large bag of glass, some pictures and a cut toe. After reading online, this isn't just a fluke... there seem to be a lot of people with the same or similar problems. And it appears that Sears isn't interested in recalling them. I was told they'd have someone out to give me an estimate in 2 weeks. I don't want the door replaced with the same material and I sure don't want to have to pay for something that was not my fault. Does anyone know of any class action suits? This is nuts that something dangerous because of faulty materials/workmanship should be replaced with the same stuff... and that the customer is expected to pay. Any suggestions as to the next step?
 21st of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
My model 790 has the same door handle problem. I was fortunate and haven't had the glass break, but the door really sucks! The problem is a poorly designed handle. It holds the whole door together with 2 screws into plastic. I eventually ordered a new handle, but in the meantime, you can take the handle from the drawer.

good luck!
 27th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
our kenmore front door glass exploded in december 08, since then sears has the glass under warranty 2 times.. both resulted in glass explosions.. the technician ordered the 3rd glass yesterday.. i don't trust them.. and let me tell you, when that glass shatters, it shatters everywhere..
 6th of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Mine just happened yesterday.

Class action Law suit?
Nathan Daggett

30th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Mine happened Thursday! My door glass exploded everywhere! Sears told me that they had never heard of the problem and there was no one to report it too. When my Sears repair man came out he told me that this is very common and happens all the time. Now Come on does a baby have to bleed to death to get a recall. I'm filing a consumer report and would love to be in on a class action lawsuit!

17th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
My Kenmore glass door just exploded tonight. My 13 yr old daughter was standing in front of it at the time getting something out of the microwave. I was standing in the kitchen also, I've never seen anything like this before. If she was younger and shorter I would hate to imagine all that shattering in the face of a child. Luckily she was not hurt. As far as Kenmore quality it has been getting worse. The last two refrigerators ice makers broke (one after just two years) and the microhood had to be replaced after 3 years. After this I do not plan on purchasing the Kenmore brand or appliances from Sears.
 1st of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
My Kenmore glass door exploded also. The oven had not been used in over 12 hours, and no one was even in the same room when it happened. Thank God my 3 year old son was not in the kitchen at the time, and that it did not happen the following day, during his birthday party, when I had 8 children coming in and out of the house. I googled "My kenmore oven door exploded" and up popped several sites dedicated toward this very problem. I called Kenmore Monday, fully expecting them to replace my glass for free, since evidently there is some defect with this product. I was given the run around until, I finally mentioned the word "sue" and was quickly told, "Ma'am, what we can do for you is send someone out there to look at it on Wed." I thought "Great! They are going to come out and replace the glass, for free!" Boy was I wrong. The guy came out and quoted me $200 plus to fix it. The glass itself only cost $48!! It is very simple to replace: slide in slot, and screw in 2 screws. I said, "$200 in labor, he said $69 was for the "trip charge". There was no way I was paying him more to come out to verify the glass was broken, (No S***!) than the glass cost. And he didn't even have the glass with him, he would have to order it!!! I was floored. The service man even seemed to understand why I was so upset. The guy on the phone acted like they were sending someone out as a favor for the fact that MY OVEN DOOR EXPLODED!!! I mean come on Sears, are you freakin' kidding me!!! Needless to say, I called in VERY upset, and let them know quickly, that I would def. not be paying any "trip charge." I WILL NEVER BUY KENMORE AGAIN!! AND SEARS CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABSURDLY PATHETIC. When there are complete complaint boards focused solely on one product, then evidently there is something wrong with it, huh Sears?
 7th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
My door exploded tonight. Model is black Kenmore 790. The stove was delivered to me on June 26, 2008 and now it is July 7, 2009, so guess what? The warranty is gone and the smart alec (Frank, at the "exectuvie service center" in Texas) that I spoke with said that he would offer me $150, although he acknowledged that the repair through Sears would be $400. I told him that this was unaccepatble. He said whatever, that I made the choice not to get an extended warranty. My son had been in the kitchen and had glass in his foot and it could have been much worse. With all of these posts, there is obviously a problem and Sears needs to own up to it, issue a recall for replacement, tempered glass that can withstand the normal heat of cooking. Additionally, this range does not heat uniformly. Things burn on the outer edges, while the middle takes forever. Also, i have the warming drawer, but it is burning hot anytime the oven is on. This is not how my GE that I replaced worked at all. I will most likely just replace the range and never, ever, ever go to Sears again.
 31st of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
why does this even happened? happened to my whirlpool as well
 10th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
My oven door exploded in July 2009. I bought my Kenmore electric range in 1998 and have rarely used the oven. My 19 year old daughter was home alone when late at night the oven glass shattered and flew all over the kitchen and living room. I kept asking her if she had hit it somehow. Now reading this site I see it is not unusual for this to happen. I feel badly for suspecting that my daughter had somehow caused the oven door to shatter. Sears no longer carries the replacement glass. Can I get replacement tempered glass from a glass store? Does anyone know? And I join with others to ask, why on earth does this happen, especially when the over had not been used for weeks?
 13th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
On July 31st, 2009 at approx. 7pm - we were cooking 2 small frozen pizzas in my kenmore oven that I purchased in may 04', My best friend, her 1 year old daughter and my 5 year old daughter were in the kitchen while my son, myself and my friends husband were in the living room watching TV. and in a matter of 14 minutes time that we needed to cook the pizzas at 400 degrees, we heard a large sound as if a bunch of change were being poured out of a jar and on to the floor really loud or as if you won at the slot machines. We looked and there was glass all over the floor from the inside of my oven that had exploded/shattered. We quickly rushed the kids out and turned the oven off so no one got cut or burned.

on Sat. August 1. 2009 I contatced the Sears I purchased this from and they advised me to call the repair line. When I spoke to the repair people they told me my warranty had just ran up in May 09' and since I was no longer under warranty and I would have to pay $130 for a tech to come out and tell me that my glass shattered. I refuse to pay for this because it is not a warranty issue- Its a safety issue - someone could have got seriously hurt by this and with tempered glass should have never exploded. If it would have been a burner going out or the hinge on the door broke or thekids were ruff housing and fell into the glass than yeah Im responsible for that and would have had no problem paying for it! But when it comes to safety forget it, thats not my responsibility on the oven - I didnt manufacture it - I didnt test it and approve it, no one at SEARS told me this was a possibility with my Kenmore because obviously its happening to allot of people and no one is taking responsibilty for it. So after being transfered to 3 people and telling the same story over and over, and getting the same response - they finally said Ma'am we're going to put a claim in that you feel this is a safety issue and you should get a call in 24-48 bus. hours, I waitied til' that Thursday, August 6th 2009 which is beyond the 24-48hrs and called the store, they refered me to go online and contatc corporate so I did, and corporate wrote back to call them re: this issue in furthur detail, so I called on Friday, 8/7 in the morning and was on the phone for 1 1/2 hrs while the lady(nice) that I spoke to put the phone down to talk to her manager so that she could tell me I have to pay for the tech to come out (but it wont be the $130) it will be less and never said how much (not that it mattered) and they would reimbursh me later for it. Well nope, I'm not paying at all, and if they have the money to reimburse me then they can just pay for it altogether. She then said after I asked to speak to her manager to hold so she could write a ticket in order to transfer, I waited 15 minutes - she got on the line and said ok hold I will get the manager - after another 15minutes (totalling 1 1/2 hrs) I had to hang up so I could get ready to decorate my daughters preschool for her graduation that night.

I came home and wrote another responding letter to the first email recvd. and said I would do what I had to do to get this resolved post on here, post on craigslist/myspace/facebook/better business bureau/ and 7 on your side news and whatever else i could find to post how terrible SEARS is reacting toward there customers ecspecially when it comes to their customers safety. Received and eamil that said they would sedn this to the care line that I say its safety issues and I would get a call 24-48hrs welp its now another wed 8/12/09 11:56pm and still no call again, so I wrote another email to them and we'll see.

I work for The Home Depot and unfortunately I wasn't working for them when I bought the stove, but I deal with customer service everyday and being on the inside as an employee the company is really serious on CUSTOMERS FIRST. I would have been taken care of already I know it. So guess where Sears will be giving me money to buy a new stove from when this is resolved! THE HOME DEPOT baby cuz now I truely believe I bleed ORANGE!

Kim T.
 24th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
On August 20, 2009, my Kenmore oven glass door exploded. I was not using the oven and had not used the oven in over a week. I have had the oven for 17 years without any prior problems.
 25th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Well looks like we all have alot in common! I have a Kenmore oven that the window exploded on me too...I heated up the oven to put a roast in, I put the roast in and no sooner I turned around and walked across the kitchen I heard a loud pop..I thought the oven blew up...I've called Sears, they said they never heard of something like this happening before (sounds like they have a dialogue for that saying)...and gave me a number for Kenmore...the lady there was RUDE...told me all she can do for me is send a tech to my house...well seriously so I need someone to tell me that the glass is broken...which was going to cost me $75...you don't need a rocket scientist to tell you that it was broken...I then told her I wasn't paying for someone to come out and tell me something I already knew and she said that is all she can do for me...I REFUSE to pay for this oven to get fixed as it is a safety issue...if your seatbelt in your vechicle malfunctions isn't that a safety issue & I do believe it would be fixed as it has happened to me after my expiring waranty free of charge...Well getting nowhere with the Kenmore hotline I decided to go right down to the store...saleslady gave me the same song and dance...I asked to speak to the store manager and he was not in so I will be paying a visit in the morning...I will keep everyone posted...
 31st of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Ours just exploded as I was walking past it... just shattered everywhere, glass flew many feet from the oven. I'm going to call our home warranty company in the morning and hope it's covered. The oven came with the house we just bought in Feb., so we don't have any warranty information on it (not that it seems to make much difference!) What's the deal?! How/WHY does this happen so frequently?! Does anyone know?
 13th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
My Kenmore Oven front glass shattered today 9/13/2009

see you tube video

my email is pdvincent1@gmail.com
 27th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I just got a phone call from my tenant that my 18 month old Kenmore glass door has SHATTERED!
She babysits for a living - THANK GOD no one was hurt!
Noting the number of complaints here - looks like a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT is warranted...
any takers? IF SO -
email me: marshamaines@hotmail.com
 27th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have been in the buis for several years. I have seen and felt bad every time i go somewhere and the warranty is out after a year. Always pay the extra money for the extra five years. I dont care if its kenmore, which is more than likely a whirlpool product right now. Between 1-5 years is when most stuff breaks. 1 time and you have paid for you're x-tea warranty
 29th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
This just happened to us 5 minutes ago...on 9/29/09 at 1:20 in the morning. We heard a crash in the kitchen and thank god no one was standing in front of it or they would be seriously injured. The oven was not on.

Kenmore Logo Kenmore