logo

Kenmore Oven

Posted:    Termar

Oven Door Exploded

Sears/ Kenmore
I can't believe it, I never heard of an oven door exploding but that is exactly what happened today with my 3 year old Kenmore, freestanding range. It was not even on and the last time I had used it was 2 weeks ago. I was in the kitchen and had just walked out when I heard a sound like ice breaking, then the sound of falling glass onto the floor. When I went back into the kitchen to investigate I was shocked to find glass falling from my oven door and my kitchen floor covered in it. Immediately, I called Sears repair line wanting someone out here immediately to document the situation first hand, although no one was cut, this was potentially a major safety issue, but their 1st concern was that my warranty had expired and I would be responsible for the $129.00 service call plus parts, and the soonest they could come out was on Fri, July 9th. When I told her this was unacceptable, the situation needed to be looked into now and Sears was lucky no one was injured by the exploding glass, again her concern was the cost of the $129.00 service charge. I tried to explain to her that Sears is lucky I had no small children in front of it when it went and then asked for her name in case there was an injury she would be named in the law suit. I was immediately passed on to someone else who again was concerned about the warranty issue and not the safety issue, and as to whether or not I agreed to pay the fee before sending a tech out. I felt like I was being held hostage, yes I agreed to the fee, how else is it going to be fixed, documented, etc. I asked where I could sent the pictures I had taken to ensure proper documentation of the situation, but was told no need to do that, he was documenting it as we spoke. Yeah, right.
For the past 41 years, since my husband and I have been married we have bought every single one of our appliances from Sears, always a Kenmore, and never had an issue with them. But today I and totally disappointed in them, they have a total disregard for our safety and that of our families. These ranges should be and should have been recalled years ago and were not. We should be given the option to trade it in for another brand.
Sears has lost a loyal customer and I will be there to speak out against them from this point on if they do not make this situation right.
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Oct, 2007 by   Ernest Colding 0 Votes
The oven of my Kenmore stove exploded. One day while my neice was heating somthing she set the oven at 400 degress which is quite a normal range. 5 minutes later we heard a crash and we looked in the kitchen and the front door of the stove (which was glass has been completey obliterated.
There were shards of glass thoughout the kitchenwe were thankful that noone was in the kitchen at that time because they would have been surely cut to death.
We then contacted the company Sears and they told us that our stove's warranty had run out. The stove was only 3 years old! They then told us that they could replace the glass at a fantastic price and take our chances or we would have to replace the whole stove.
Needless to say we will not replace the stove from Sears, Kenmore is their in house brand, nor buy anything from Sears ever again. I urge you to do the same because at the very least they are incompetent in their designs or at the worst they plan to have their products expire after a short period of time. In any case they showed themselves not to be friends of the consumer but a inept and unprincipled company.
 14th of Oct, 2008 by   Marylou 0 Votes
September 27th, 2008, the same thing happened in my home. My Kenmore oven door exploded. It was during a busy dinner-time and it is only by sheer luck and the grace of God that no-one was hurt. It has been 18 days and we're still finding shards of glass here and there.
After 2 weeks of a "back and forth" with Sears, their bottom line is that my warranty expired and it is my responsibility to have it fixed. I don't know why they keep referring to an expired warranty. There is something wrong with a product when it explodes, and in my opinion it should be recalled. It's a safety concern, definitely not a warranty issue.
Today was the final straw. I received an email from the Corporate Customer Service dept. They apologized for the trouble I was having with my REFRIDGERATOR. Give me a break. Are the staff at Sears trained to be blase, nonchalant and indifferent?
So I quickly replied, telling her that it was my STOVE and not the FRIDGE. And it certainly wasn't a warranty issue. At no time did Sears offer an explanation as to why it happened, or offer to send a service man to make sure it was ok to use again. There last email pretty much said, "don't contact us again". I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau, and I guess my next step is to contact the manufacturer, who I believe is GE. I’m so disappointed in the service I received from Sears. It has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. I doubt that I will ever use my stove again, and without a doubt, I can tell you that I'll never shop at Sears again.
 20th of Jun, 2012 by   granny19 0 Votes
the exact same thing just happened to me with my 3 year old Kenmore Elite stove. I was baking a cake and standing near the stove and poof- the glass blew out- some pieces went
across the room. I have gotten nothing but the run a round. What happen to companies
standing behind their products? They told me the same as you - you are out of your extended warranty (was up in November). I had issues with the oven from day one- but they never seemed to think anything was wrong with it. When the gas would go on and off it sounded like someone pounding on my kitchen floor. I had company and they could hear it in my livingroom and an jumped up. Yeah - there isnt anything wrong with it except the glass blew out. Too bad you can't go and talk to someone. Last time I will ever buy kenmore- was always a good customer but not anymore.
 7th of Nov, 2012 by   sadie1950 0 Votes
I just had the same problem. I'll call Sear's in the am. If I get no help from their repair department, I'll call Sear's headquarters and see if I can get any help that way. Have any of you tried to call headquarters? As bad as this is, in a way I'm glad to hear others have had the same problem. Fortunately, no one was hurt here.
 14th of Feb, 2013 by   no more kenmore 0 Votes
I had this happen this last weekend, have been on the phone for 3 days and same no warranty. I also called the store where I purchased it from to see if since I was getting no help from Sears as a whole if they would step up to the plate. They actually told me that it is my fault because I cook food with too much moisture and so moisture got between the glass and that is why it exploded. The owner and his salesmen both told me that. If I had known that when I was looking at it to purchase absolutely no way I would have bought it. Since he was very rude and not helpful and actually hung up on me, he called me back after he had cooled off and said he would see what he could do to get sears to split the cost with me. He felt personally attacked when I told him I will tell the people I know to not buy Sears or Kenmore, and I am. I happen to take it very personal that I have to worry about my families safety just to cook a meal. I am a lot disappointed in Sears and Kenmore. Do I really want to replace the glass to have the same thing happen again, not really.
 30th of Apr, 2013 by   Never buy from Sears 0 Votes
The door exploding also happened to us. My wife was cut. Sears and Kenmore said there is nothing they could do about it due to out of extended warranty. A $1600 stove that only lasts 2 years?? We will NEVER buy an appliance from Sears again!!!
 28th of Oct, 2013 by   Judy in NE 0 Votes
We just had the front glass panel of our Kenmore slide-in range explode. All Sears will do is help me make an appointment with a service person. I called their recall # (1-800-659-7026), and all they told me was that there was no recall. I reported it to saferproducts.gov, and my report # is 20131028-9B202-2147450470. I hope everyone who has this problem will do the same, and perhaps some action will finally be taken. I've read that some are considering a class action lawsuit...wonder if that will happen? I've read that it's not considered a safety issue b/c the glass is safety glass...huh! Many of the reports I'm seeing are about 3-year-old ranges (that's what ours is), so I wonder if there's a built-in obsolescence going on. How does one reach the higher-ups at Sears to complain?
 6th of Jan, 2014 by   Kim Berner 0 Votes
The outer door to my Kenmore Elite stove shattered completely Dec 30/13 when the stove was in self clean mode. No one was hurt but there was glass all over the kitchen. I haven't tried to speak with anyone yet and by the looks of everyone's experiences I've read on the Internet, I will probably be wasting my time. Obviously, I will try to have Kenmore take responsibility for this dangerous issue and I don't believe I should have to pay to replace the glass on this 4 year old stove. If I have any success, I will post again ... however don't hold your breath!
 24th of Feb, 2014 by   Tracy Seo 0 Votes
My glass door on my Kenmore 790 series range exploded this afternoon, my mom was at my house with the kids and she got covered in glass. She was okay and glad my 2 yr old was not standing by her when it happened. the range was not even on and it had not been used for 3 days. I looked online and found tons of other complaints and like all the of them sears was not helpful as my range is 3 1/2 yrs old and they were going to charge me $79.99 to come and look at my range. They told me it was not a recall even with all the complaints. Not happy that I now need to pay to have this fixed. Sears will be sorry when someone seriously gets hurt and not just a few small cuts.

National Consumer Protection Week