logo

3. (2 mins ago)
Club Intrawest
deceptive business practices
4. (8 mins ago)
Enterprise Financial Group, Inc (EFG)
Extended Warranty Scam
5. (13 mins ago)
Hudson and Marshall/Real Estate Auctions
To be Announced

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Kenmore Oven Complaints & Reviews - Beware! Don't burn your house!

Kenmore Oven Contacts & Informations

Kenmore Oven

Posted:    Seb7

Beware! Don't burn your house!

On Sunday May 27, 2007, I turned my Sears Kenmore oven on to preheat so I could bake cookies. I left the room for less than 5 minutes. When I returned, I realized my oven was on fire. The bottom heating element was in flames and the digital read outs on the stove top were all blank. I turned the oven off, it continued to burn, so I ran to the circuit breaker and turned it off, after a few minutes, the fire went out. My range was SO hot, it took a long time for the exterior of it to cool enough to touch. We called the manager at our local Sears, and several other people, all the way to the corporate offices. NO one would offer any satisfaction. This range was only 5 years old! We wanted them to come and see what malfunctioned and caused it to burn. They refused to do that unless we paid them to come. Since the oven was destroyed, we didn't want to sink any more money into it. We had it hauled away when our new range was delivered (not a Kenmore, and not from Sears). We do have pictures of the burned element and the serial # off the range. We hope someone will take notice and recall these ovens before someones house burns down.

Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Dec, 2008 by   Teresa W 0 Votes
Kenmore Range Model 790.95301
Posted: 2008-12-26 by Teresa W

Could have burned our house down

Complaint Rating:
I was amazed to see how many people have had this problem with their Kenmore oven. This Christmas almost proved to be the last one for me, my husband, and son. I was up late preparing Christmas dinner for our family. I had spent 3 days thawing, brining, and getting a 20 pound turkey ready for baking. I placed the turkey in the oven preheated to 325 degrees at 1:00 am in our downstairs kitchen. We then went to bed for a few hours sleep. At about 4:30 am, I was awakened by the smell of the turkey baking but I went back to sleep for about 20 minutes. The next time I woke up, the smell was much stronger and didn't smell quite right. When I opened the door of our bedroom, I could smell the smoke and hear the smoke alarm coming from downstairs. Our smoke alarm upstairs was not going off yet. I ran downstairs to find the bottom level of the house full of smoke. The black smoke was pouring from the oven and I could see the element on the bottom of the stove glowing red through the glass window in the oven door. The control panel was flashing F1 and the alarm was going off along with the smoke detector. I turned the oven off and then opened the doors and windows to try to clear the smoke. I then returned to the stove and noticed it had turned itself right back on, the element was still glowing red and the F1 alarm was back on. I turned it off again and it again turned itself back on. By this time I was frantic and scared to death and ran upstairs to get my husband out of bed to help me. I showed him again that when I turned the oven off that it just turned itself right back on. He had to turn the breaker off. Thank God that I smelled this because we did not hear the smoke alarm. Our turkey was "cremated", but we are alive. If the house had caught fire with us sleeping in the level above, we wouldn't have had a chance to escape. I know this is long, but I would like to try to warn everybody out there to never, never, never trust this range/oven. I am furious to see that this many complaints have been made and that there has been nothing in the news. I had no idea! I will never use this stove again, it is destined for disposal. We will file formal complaints with both Sears and Consumer Protection. For now, we have made sure to call all our family to tell them how much we love them, because you never know if you will ever be seeing them again. All for a stupid, faulty stove that they don't have the decency to recall. Is there no sense of respect for human life out there anymore. Keep safe out there!
 28th of Dec, 2008 by   Teeeroy +1 Votes
Kenmore Model 629.4677569

I put a couple of frozen pizzas in the oven for the kids and went back to check on the pizzas about 15 minutes later. When I opened the oven door, I experienced the same sparking that resembled an arc welder. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. I turned the oven off, but the element continued to spark and burn. I just stood there, dumbfounded, and it eventually stopped after a minute or so. It was only then that I turned the power off at the circuit panel.

I couldn't believe how many other people experienced the same exact phenomenon with a Kenmore stove. This stove was in the house we just bought this summer (house is about 10 years old), so I'll probably just have to buy another stove. I don't think I want to risk a repeat of this event.

Timing couldn't be worse, either - after spending so much at Christmas time. But at least we're all safe!
 2nd of Jan, 2009 by   wosman 0 Votes
On 1/1/09 while baking brownies at 350 degrees, the control board in our Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel Range (Model 790.79389400) caught fire (range was less than 4 years old). Arcing, flames, and acrid smoke were coming from the control panel. This went on for about 30 seconds until the breaker feeding the range tripped. Had the breaker not tripped, I'm certain we would have had a full blown kitchen fire on our hands. Of course it is out of wty...I have already ordered a new control board for $200 but there is no guarantee that it wont happen again. I already checked the rest of the oven circuitry to make sure it wasnt caused by a a faulty element, short, etc. I filed a compaint with the CPSC and plan to call Sears tomorrow to at least get it on the record. NEVER-More Kenmore.
 2nd of Jan, 2009 by   fed up 0 Votes
Snap, crackle and flame. That is what my heating element did on my 3 1/2 year old Kenmore electric range. The service guy said that it is the maker of the heating element that the problem is with. He said he replaces these pretty frequently and that the inner insulation erodes and the wire touches the outer metal shell, which causes the sparks, flame and smoke. Sears knows of this issue yet won't start recalling these defective parts. After he changed my element he found out that the baking chip board (I think that was the name) shorted and had to replace that. With the outrageous price of their labor the total cost to fix this was almost what I paid for it. The fact Sears knows this is a problem and doesn't even tell people about it so that those still willing to purchase it can stay with their service plan is horrible. I have notified everyone I could think of short of the T.V. stations which might be next.
Now I am just waiting for the day it happens again. The only reason I didn't go out and buy a new one was because it took 2 visits to fix this and after the first I did their service plan and for some reason the 2nd part ended up being covered. If I got the estimate and saw I would have to pay almost $500 I would have sent the guy on his way and ran to Lowes that day.
Be careful and when you put your complaints in make sure you note that Sears is fully aware of this issue.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   averypd 0 Votes
Well Thanks everyone for your comments. I certainly couldn't believe all the complaints. I just did a quick google search because my oven would not turn off this evening, and ruined our supper. Even after turning it OFF it would not respond and continued to heat and heat, glowing red hot. Now I'm afraid to use it and of course we have only had it 6 1/2 years. I'm sure contacting Sears will do no good, its long out of warranty. I am not keen on ordering any new parts or going for weeks with no oven to cook for my family. I think I will just cut my losses and head to Lowe's tomorrow for a NON kenmore/whirlpool oven. Thank you for all your good advice, I am beyond disgusted. Our builder would only contract through Sears, but typically I would NEVER shop there, and haven't since.
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   Dena England 0 Votes
Our Kenmore oven just did the same thing. I was baking a pizza. Thank God I was in my kitchen to turn the oven off. Yes, the heating element burnt. Does anyone notice how the middle to the back of the element sits directly on the bottom of the oven. Maybe this could be part of the problem. Maybe it should of had more brackets to rest on.
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   Nathan Cohorst 0 Votes
Just last night, i was at a friends house while we tried to make food in the oven.. Just like all the other stories, Turned the preheat on, and after about 5 mins the element, about 10 inches away from the oven wall, ignited and started a constant reaction. Imagine those sparklers you get from the firework stand. The skinny darker ones that look like punts. It was fizzing out sparks a the start point and slowly continued to burn furiously through in inside of the element, at about 2 inches per minute, White hot and out of control. We turned the oven off, still burning, Cut the breakers, still burning, cut the HOUSE breaker, still burning. With everything so hot in the area, and the smoke from the resulting burning was making things difficult. We tried pouring water over the reaction, but it was so hot that it would evaporate before it hit. we started pouring a few CUPS of water on it, same thing. We then got baking soda and tried to sufficate the element by covering it in a big mound, the baking soda, uneffective, started glowing at the core where the element was. We poured more water on it hoping the powder would coagulate further snuffing it out. Failed. So we ran into the garage and my friend pulled out his lock cutters. He snapped the element an inch closer to the wall from where it started. STILL FRIGGIN BURNING!.. so we cut it about 5 inches AHEAD of the burning .. so at least it could burn its self out. it finally finished burning the entire section removed. But then i started to close the oven door and noticed the element was still red hot and getting brighter. we cut almost the entire element out and let it burn out. It continued to get hotter and hotter but then eventually started to cool down. This completly implys that the reaction was self fueling. Most likely the reaction started from the faulty section of element. The element burned and the following arcing was high enough to start the reaction. It continued to burn and warp the element, even internally several inches ahead of the reaction. This reaction was hot enough to cut through the metal below it, and if the chance we would have walked away from it for longer, it would have burned through the metal and into the wooden drawers below it, eventually burning down the house. I'm encouraging my friend to file a claim, and possibly a law suit. I'm even more motivated to follow on such action due to the amount of responses i see on this site. I think the oven was a magic chef brand. standard inwall 2 door oven. 220 volts - set to preheat at 350 degrees. And for your case just replace the element. There is nothing that controls the element but a relay connected directly to 220v, and there is NO chance that would have involvment in this process
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   Kevin 0 Votes
We have 5-year old a dual fuel range and the oven caught fire tonight while preheating. The heating element burned through as many others have described and we had to cut the circuit breaker. Just yesterday we left the oven on timed cook while we were at church. What a difference one day can make. Guess it's time to start filing complaints.
 31st of Jan, 2009 by   Lynn 0 Votes
Friday January 30, 2009
Our Kenmore oven appears to be doing the same thing. Preheat oven and element will not turn off. Overheats and burns food in a couple minutes. Would not turn off. Had to turn breaker off. Oven was so hot that I am lucky I noticed so quickly because I am sure it would have caught fire. Oven is about 5 years old. I will be calling Sears but after reading these comments I am not too sure they will be of any help. We had a Kenmore oven and lots of other appliances in the past-some lasting over 20 years- but we are having problems with all of our new Kenmore and Whirlpool appliances. This oven is the scariest. Hoping for a recall.
 14th of Feb, 2009 by   Incredulous 0 Votes
I am commenting on the reports about Sears Kenmore ovens, overheating, and not shutting off. This is the same thing that happened to me at my house last night. I thought I was going to have to call the fire department. I have a Sears Kenmore Oven, model number 665.95781. I used the oven to bake a pizza. I turned off the off the oven after the pizza was done baking. I left the house shortly after I turned off the oven to run an errand. When I returned, the house was beginning to fill with smoke, the oven display showed the unit had been turned off, but heat was radiating throughout the house. It felt like it was 90 degrees in the house. The oven door was extremely hot to the touch, as well as the top of the stove. I opened the oven door and noticed that the bottom element was off, but the top element was on, bright red and emitting heat, much hotter than any setting I had ever used when baking food. I called a couple of neighbors and asked them to come down and look at the stove. I managed to pull the oven out from the wall, before my neighbors arrived, using potholders, because it was too hot to pull out with bare hands. I unplugged it, also using a potholder. The stove remained hot to the touch for nearly an hour, after it had been turned off. This is an extremely dangerous product. Everyone needs to contact the Federal Consumer Product Safety Commission and report this issue. I really think that if I had not returned from my house when I did, the stove would have exploded or the house would have caught on fire.

I am also contacting Sears to demand they replace this with a non-defective oven, although based on the comments from others, it appears that Sears will not be stepping up to the plate. I researched the issue and found a comment on appliancepartspro.com which indicates the problem may be related to a "relay on the control board stuck closed." According to the article, the control board has to be replaced with part number AP3174668, which is a control panel. I don't plan on fixing the stove, because it is apparent there is no built in safety feature to shut the stove off and prevent it from overheating, should the same thing go wrong with it in the future. I read one account where a glass door on one of these units exploded. My question is, if Sears has been made aware of this dangerous defect in their product, why haven't they taken any action to recall it or warn the public about it? It is also amazing to me that Sears is charging customers to fix a dangerous and defective product that they marketed to the public. You would think it would be a much less expensive option for Sears to replace the defective stoves, than to defend themselves in a class-action lawsuit!
 14th of Feb, 2009 by   ernurse +1 Votes
I had a similar issue. I have a 12 year old Kenmore Stove. (Model 911.9354190) Yesterday, 2-13-09, while I was baking, the bake element flared up with a fire on one spot of the element and it glowed very brightly. I turned off the oven. Several hours later, the oven was still hot. I unplugged the oven out of fear that it would catch fire. I am surprised there is not a recall on these ovens! I have read numerous statements about the bake element catching fire or glowing very hotly. This certainly sounds like a fire hazard and a big safety issue.
 22nd of Feb, 2009 by   viki 0 Votes
I love my gas range... refuse to cook with electricity. Have cooked with gas for over 30 years. Many friends ask "aren't you afraid of gas?" Well, frankly, NO. And by the sounds of these posts, electricity is a far greater hazard.
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   P Lino 0 Votes
My Kenmore electric oven with the digital touch controls was beeping yesterday as my wife was cooking dinner. She called me over after not being able to shut the stove off. The display showed F. After about 30 seconds of beeping we could here arcing sounds coming from the back of the unit. A few seconds later foot high flames came out of the circuit board area of the unit followed by thick black smoke. I grabbed a towel and managed to fut out the fire. We called Sears and they are sending someone out today to look at the unit. This is what made me look at this website and after looking at it I am finding that the heating elements seem to be a major problem. I will update what happens with the Technician after it is looked at. Feb 25/2009
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   C. Grimes 0 Votes
3/1/09

Was baking a roast at 375, after about 2 hours I started smelling a burnt smell. Went to check and there was an error code on the display and instead of the bottom element being on as it was suppose to be the broiler was on and it was super hot. I tried turning it off using the controls on the oven and it would not shut off .. I finally found the breaker to turn it off. When I flipped the breaker back on .. the oven came back on.. broiler.

This is a cabinet/floor slide in Kenmore model.

Numbers on the manual are
665.95781
665.95788
665.95792
665.95794

This is actually the second time this has happened. The first time I thought it was a fluke or that I had accidentally hit Clean at some point during the baking process. That's how hot this things gets..

I'm not sure what I am going to do at this point. Can't afford a new stove.

Thank you to all who have posted information about this oven.
 9th of Mar, 2009 by   Stan Maynard 0 Votes
My Kenmore, #780.96, The power went out on the stove, I found the power connections on the back melted, the nuts were missing that hold one of the power leads on. Being a Electrican, I know that if the lead would have grounded out on the stove I would not be typing this right now. My god I read all the other complains, what the heck are they thinking !!!
 20th of Mar, 2009 by   Michael O 0 Votes
We had the same problem last night. Have a model #911.9344190 it is about 12 years old and has not had a lot of use for baking. Wife had cooked a diner and had turned the oven off. About 15 minutes later as I was on my way home I was talking to her on the phone and we heard a "pop" sound (like a fire cracker) and she went over to the stove and saw it was on fire in the oven. I arrived home a couple of minutes later and found the outside of the oven fo hot you could not touch it with your bare hands. I checked the upper element and it was not heating but even though the switch was off there was still power to the lower element. Was thinking about reapiring the oven but after reading all of the comments on here it sounds like it may be more than just an element issue. May have to re-engineer this before I would feel comortable leaving the pow on to it with my family in the house. I too had been a loyal Sears customer in the past but in the last several years had noticed their quality is less than desirable. Thanks everone for your comments, I helps assure me that I'm not just expecting to much.
 14th of Apr, 2009 by   Jason 0 Votes
Me too. My Kenmore electric stove did the same as all of the rest. It burned like a welding rod. I have twin infants. I ran out and put them in the car then put the fire out. I had to pull out the stove as it was burning and un-plug it. If there is a recall please let me know. I will take pictures. Orvall's is removing the old Kenmore when they bring my new electric stove. With all of these complaints, IF someone gets hurt I hope they sew the pants off the sellers and makers of this stove. I sure would like my $500.00 back. It was only 4 1/2 years old. Its junk now. I will never buy another Kenmore product EVER !!! alldunn71@aol.com
 21st of Apr, 2009 by   j_yancec +1 Votes
well you can add me to the long list of disgruntled kenmore owners, last nite i was baking an awesome recipe for peanut-butter paisley brownies, preheated the oven to 350, popped in my brownies and left the kitchen, about 20 mins later i smelled smoke and rushed to the kitchen, my oven was going crazy, the led display read f1(dont know what that means), the lower element was the brightest shade of read i'd ever seen and the power would not turn off unless i disconnected it from the outlet, my own oven thermometer was maxed out at 600 degrees, i had only set it to 350 and my brownies were burned beyond a crisp but peculiarally gooey in the middle still, i have a repair man coming out on friday to take a look @ the hunk of junk, and until then I have to order out food for my family because just plugging in the range causes the lower element to light up like a christmas tree. I suggest that if american companies want us to continue buying their product then they should give us quality worth buying.
 29th of Apr, 2009 by   esmith +1 Votes
I also have a Kenmore wall oven. It was installed when the house was built in 1994 and we bought the house in 2004. I noticed a burnt place on the top of the oven door and also a burn in the kitchen floor, but just thought that a hot pan must have been dropped on the floor. We were planning to replace the flooring anyway so I didn't think that much about it. A few months ago, my oven came on by itself, but we were able to turn it off by pushing the buttons on the control panel. We were worried about sleeping that night, so we just turned off the breaker to the oven. I can't believe this is such a widespread problem and nothing is being done about it.
 4th of May, 2009 by   Devildog +1 Votes
My Kenmore electric range had the same problem! On 05/02/09 I was heating up some food at 350 degrees. I was outside cooking on the grill for about 10 minutes. When I returned the range was really hot and had shut itself off. I looked in the oven and the bake element was melted and there was a white haze covering everything. Typical of Kenmore ranges I guess. I think I'm going to switch to propane.

Tips How to Save Money on Gasoline