logo

Kars 4 Kids
Centennial, Colorado
Phone: 1800-Kars4kids
www.kars4kids.org
What a joke. We donated our car to Kars 4 kids and were told we would get a 2 night 3 day hotel stay with World wide travel center. I was told to send a check and credit card info and a signed statement that the hotel could charge me for 'damages'. I felt uneasy about this and called the place we donated our car to they assured me that World wide travel center was a legit company so I fell for the b.s. and gave all of my info, sent a $3 reactivation fee and have been told over and over that there are no reservations available. I have called over and over and I either get cut off or told to pick another date or destination. I wasted hours and hours giving new dates and destinations only to be told that low and behold there is nothing available that day! What a surprise. I asked to speak to a manager and was hung up on!!! I called back and somehow was cut off. I complained again to kars 4 kids and have not heard back yet.

Comments United States Hotels
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Aug, 2008 by   fwf +1 Votes
the "travel agent" is probably the same scammers as the kars4kids.
 19th of Dec, 2008 by   mojo25a +3 Votes
Kars4kids is a scam organization. I learned of them after watching a local television report in New York City. Kars4kids takes your car, sells it and they use the money to help only certain types of children which they don't mention anywhere. They send orthodox Jewish kids to summer camps in upstate New York and I not sure if other places as well including Israel. Kars4kids do not support any or all kids regardless of race, gender, RELIGION. If you check out their website: kars4kids.org, all the way on the bottom of the home webpage in very fine print there are links to their other Jewish organizations. I wish at least they would say upfront they are a Jewish charity, and they only support Jewish kids, I rather give my money to a charity that gives money for all children, regardless of religion.
 17th of Feb, 2009 by   Kars 4 Kids -2 Votes
I was unaware of this complaint until now, and therefore apologize for the delay in my response. I checked in our records, and discovered that this donor had indeed left a message for our customer service manager, but that the message was not returned. Even though Kars4Kids has no authority over the vacation voucher conditions, we have stepped in when our donors have complained about various difficulties in obtaining their vacation. We have always done our best to be responsive and to represent our donors’ interests. In this case, the ball was dropped on our end and we sincerely apologize for any difficulties encountered. We have sent out a new vacation voucher from a different company to the donor in question.

Additionally, in response to the comments posted to this complaint, Kars 4 Kids is a car donation program that uses the proceeds to help children. We are a genuine charity and run real programs to assist as many children as possible. Complaints about our services are extremely rare. If for some reason a car doesn’t get picked up as scheduled or a receipt is slow in coming, we take care of it. Nobody can say—and nobody does say – that Kars4Kids fails to perform the service it advertises. Those that think that Kars4Kids tries to confuse our donors or hide the chain leading to the recipients of our charitable programs should simply look on our website. Many people log onto an organization’s website before they make charitable donations. If they want to know who runs the organization and what it does. Kars4Kids’ potential donors, if they follow that procedure, find out immediately that they are giving their money to JOY, a fundraising organization that donates its proceeds to Oorah, and that Oorah promotes Jewish education and values as the cornerstone of its overall service to disadvantaged Jewish children.

Overall, Kars 4 Kids provides the services promised in a timely manner. We work to ensure a smooth experience for our donors, and step in to help if there are ever any problems. We minimize our expenses and maximize on our proceeds to help as many children as possible.
 29th of Apr, 2009 by   ken mihok 0 Votes
Kars for kids does not spread money equally, after doing a background check I found out that OUTREACH CENTER FOR CHILDREN actually distributes charity money equally so I donated my car where it would do the most for children. 1-800-515-6789 try it!
 7th of Oct, 2009 by   Skeptical Tom +1 Votes
I was thinking of looking into Kars4Kids, but looked here first. Their radio ads stick in your head like a migrane!

Thanks so much for the information, all of you. I am just starting the process of donating a car, but don't mind doing the research to avoid a scam, or any organiztion seemingly doing "damage control", as it looks somewhat for K4K. In my view, the real ones don't even have to do any back-peddling or band-aiding toward any problems. The Red Cross rarely has any complaints, because everyone knows what they do, and they do it with limited resources, doing a whole lot of good.

I also plan to start at the IRS website, as suggested in another place I looked.

Thanks again,
Td in Massachusetts
 4th of Nov, 2009 by   pissedatkars 0 Votes
What a rip-off.If they want the car be honest. Now this time share crap has my income and name and are trying to cram crap down my throat. The same garbage is available at every tourist trap area in the country. I will go out of my way to let others know of this scam.
 25th of Dec, 2009 by   bobby999 +1 Votes
Do not donate to KARS FOR KIDS. DO YOUR RESEARCH. They pick and choose who they want to help and don't fulfill their promises.
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   gotalife32 +1 Votes
I have to say I was disappointed as well. I donated my car which was in great shape and the KBB was valued at 2600.00 and they sent me a max right off of $500.00. Which I am in the process of acquiring an attorney. Not sure what is going on there, but I think and audit is in order.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   MELH +2 Votes
I appreciate this feedback...I am looking to donate my car and will make SURE that Kars for Kids will NOT be getting my donation. This many unhappy people MEANS something! Thanks again for posting.
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   dhenderson73 +1 Votes
I agree! What a mistake! We donated a car in good-shape valued at $2, 500.00 and they gave us a receipt for only $500.00! They said that's all it sold for! hmmmmm...the "free" hotel isn't free they want us to pay $50.00 to reserve a room! Wish I would have done my research!! Don't make the same mistake we did!!!
 14th of Apr, 2010 by   rosalee222 +1 Votes
Jeez--if the voucher is the reason you're donating your car, then why donate it at all; sell it instead (or see what you can get from the junkyard yourself). What a bunch of whiners. Their site details who the money benefits, so if you don't bother to even check the site, then don't act all outraged and surprised to find out that they benefit Jewish children--and so what? what's wrong with that? Lots of charities focus on a particular group.

I donated my car to Kars for Kids and have only good things to say about the experience. I got an immediate and courteous e-mail response after filling out the online donation form, with detailed information about the process. The (local) tow company showed up the next day, was extremely professional, and my sitting-dead old car was towed away. I got the tax receipt and the complementary hotel voucher within a week. The voucher comes with detailed instructions about its use and limitations and says upfront that (1) you have to send a $50 deposit in order to activate it and (2) that room availability may be limited in certain periods (high season/weekends). Again, if you can't be bothered to read the information provided, then you have only yourself to blame. I haven't decided if it's worth the hassle to use it, but since I donated my car for CHARITY and not for some hotel voucher, who cares?

In other words, if you want to benefit a charity by donating your car, Kars 4 Kids is efficient and courteous. If you're looking to make a buck somehow, take the time to sell the damn thing yourself.
 15th of Apr, 2010 by   Calhouri -1 Votes
Come on Rosalee, you never did anything to make a buck? Everyone has if not a little larceny at least a little acquisitiveness in their heart. That's what scammers count on. OK, maybe Kars 4 Kids is not on the Nigerian bank fraud level, but after listening to that damned jingle I decided to do a little research on the outfit and what I've discovered is not very flattering to the organization. I mean the radio spots (which I hear during Mets games) are so vague I originally took the organization name literally. What the hell do kids need with cars, I thought; given 'em to out of work adults looking for employment.

The fact is, the spots are misleading and the website is about as forthcoming as a credit card agreement. If you don't care that your donation is going to an extremely sectarian outfit (that doesn't go out of its way to present itself as such) that's fine. But you needn't graft your "tolerance" onto those who don't share that feeling.
 4th of May, 2010 by   Cannoneer01 +1 Votes
Kars4Kids is a sham that should lose their 501(c)3 tax-exempt status.
 26th of May, 2010 by   Chris22222 +1 Votes
Sure does sound like a bunch of whiners here. I donated my car to Kars 4 kids a few years ago. They picked up it promptly and i received my receipt.
I immediately took the vacation voucher and chucked it in the garbage. If I want a vacation I will book priceline and find the accomodation that I am interested in.
There is nothing wrong with an organization furthering jewish education.
 7th of Jun, 2010 by   dylansdad -1 Votes
I agree with Chris2222 and others - a donation is a donation and there are plenty of charities that are focused on a specific cause, so do your research!

I donated a car to Kars4Kids in 2006 and I may be donating another shortly - the engine in my 2001 PT Cruiser blew out recently and it doesnt pay to get it replaced, but maybe it can do someone else a little good, kwim?
 16th of Jun, 2010 by   WLodge -1 Votes
Donated our old dead truck yesterday. No hassle so far. In fact they were really prompt and even called 30 mins (at my request) prior to arrival so that my husband could come home and deal with it all. We do plan on using the voucher. We live in San Diego and plan on taking our Daughter to a Disneyland or another place like that and since I have health issues being able to stay the night near the location to be able to rest afterwords rather than having to drive home is a big bonus for us. I wasn't looking at the voucher at some big adventure just a resource to allow us to have a decent time.
 18th of Jun, 2010 by   denny k -1 Votes
I guess the main point is that the money goes to charity... reguardless of who is there choice is. If you took a better look at a lot of charties and see what they do with there money you might be surprised. The only thing you really need to look at is what part of the money goes to charity. Take karsforkids they gobble up millions of dollars for "operation costs" how is that you charity can take in several millions and less then 25% or so goes to actual charity. When any of us donate something it for some personal benifit. We donate for free things, vacations, tax right off, or that feeling inside knowing that we are trying to help those who need it. Every charity has a cost of doing good for others, face it the world we live in isn't free. When a charity makes it profitable to themselves but shifting money around and paying themselves large salaries to so call run there .org then thats when it stops being a charity.

A charity that is for childern is great...if the most of money goes to kids. Figure for every dollar that is give let it be a car, clothes, or money. they take a chunk of that and pocket it. Could you see yourself giving money to a bell ringing at christmas time and he takes the dollar you give and puts that in his pocket pulls out a quater and drops in the bucket. You would would be mad or upset!! Then he tells you that the money goes to pay him for ringing that bell.

What so called "charities" are doing is making charity work into big fat pockets for themselves. If all you want is that car that has taken up space gone then give to whom ever. If you want your money to go to a good cause do some research. Almost every charity that excepts donations in the form of items will except cars. Find a local charity before calling karsforkids.

btw rosalee222 did a nice detailed disc. of the whole process. Info only a person that works for kars4kids would list... nice post to recover some bad press.
 13th of Jul, 2010 by   Cf77ss0 0 Votes
@rosalee222 THANKYOU lord almighty. Why are people DONATING for personal gain? that's not charitable in any way, it's moronic at best to think so.
If you want to donate somthing to charity, why not give the car to a nephew/son/grandson/godson whatever that has no car and would work on it and love it for his own. These charities sell/part your car and donate 10-50% at best to the people they choose, why not choose a person yourself and let them get 100% of the value out of it. Of course if you're donating for a tax rightoff, that's not donating, and you might as well use Kars4Kids
 4th of Aug, 2010 by   sh90_90@yahoo.com 0 Votes