logo

Esso Gas Station
Car Wash
2. (7 mins ago)
Off Lease Only
I would not recommend buying from them
4. (35 mins ago)
Topix.com Commits fraud!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Intelius People Search - www.intelius.com Complaints & Reviews - Intelius - beware it's a rip-off!

Intelius People Search - www.intelius.com Contacts & Informations

Intelius People Search - www.intelius.com

Posted:    V. Swan

Intelius - beware it's a rip-off!

I paid $14.95 to this company Intelius for a reverse phone number search. They claim to have the latest records, but the record they gave me was at least a couple years out of date. It had a woman's name (the phone number actually belonged to a man), and they showed it as a land line but it was actually a cell phone. I contacted the company but they wouldn't give me a refund. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said one would call me the next day but no one ever did. Bad information and bad customer service, too. Save your money.
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Sep, 2007 by   Helen Morris-Rixon 0 Votes
Don't get involve with, it's a ripped off. They provide you livery little information and 3-5 years late records.

Watch them, don't even try.
 15th of Sep, 2007 by   R Harper 0 Votes
You put a story on the first page of your site entitled "Complaints on "Intelius People Search" and three inches above the title your are allowing Intellius.com to advertise on your site!

Made by the people for the people?! I think not! What a bunch of hypocrites!
 22nd of Sep, 2007 by   Randomname 0 Votes
Sites like intelius only make it one step easier for Identity thief. I know, I've stolen identities before with the help of sites like this(The people asked me to, to prove it is much easier then believed, and no information is needed other then a name, even then its possible to steal someones identity at random by finding a random name and using a site like this to find other information).

There need to be legal action taken against any and all sites giving out "Public" information to the masses without any kind of check (other then the one you write to give them your money). < Not a joke Legally and morally, there is just something wrong with a website that has no government ties to be able to hand out MY/YOUR info for a fee, to anyone willing to pay. Thats profiting on our loss of privacy, which is something i doubt any American (no offense to other countries/ethnicities) would stand for, I know I'm not.

There are good and better sites for finding information on people, but they usually only handle a small area or a few states, to ensure the records are up-to date and accurate. Also these sites require their users agree to Code Of Conduct and other various legalities as well as make the customer prove they have their own licenses(rights) in order to access(legally) this kind of information(credit/medical/genealogy/etc). I know I've been using these sites for years, and will not say them here, if you truly needed them, you'd have them.

Most any large city should have its own public records website, If not, suggest one to your local officials.

Illegal immigrants, without any official records of their names, are usually the hardest to find info on(If any can be found.).

In short, With the help of the internet, (almost) Anyone's identity can be stolen within minutes.
 24th of Sep, 2007 by   Glen Ulrici 0 Votes
From my experience Intelius is a scam simply because it seems their primary function is to get your Credit Card #. After purchasing the service via credit card I received no information but was given a link to a site that offered to give me the requested information. This site qave me no information but requested I fill out yet another form to set up "My Account". The form solicits your phone #, home address & more detailed information about your credit card. Once completed promises are made that you will get your info.
My summation is that they sell your credit card # & likely give you some rudimentary information that you can obtain yourself with a some diligent searching. However, at this point I'm guessing because I did not set up "My Account". Once bitten was enough.
 5th of Nov, 2007 by   Cindy Lancaster 0 Votes
Although I didn't use this company, I used CIS and same song and dance. The information they give is an absolute joke and you can retrieve the same for free by taking time and doing your own research. These companies should be illegal!
 24th of Nov, 2007 by   Gandy M. 0 Votes
Not only that but they continue to charge you for services not rendered. I paid them once for a people lookup ($7.95) in October and they just charged me again for $14.95. I haven't even visited the site since then and I am, quite frankly, furious.
 12th of Dec, 2007 by   Gandy M. 0 Votes
What actually happens here is that once you have used Intelius, they send you an e-mail which usually goes straight into everyone's spam folder, since it reads as spam. The e-mail itself is an opt-out for the 14.95 monthly recurring fee for People Protect or AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM-V (the charge which showed up on my statement) or any number of the umbrella sites they use to 'protect' you from identity theft. Since the spam filter catches it, most people never even see the thing, and since you have to respond to the e-mail to opt-out, you are now getting charged monthly fees for a service you did not sign up for.

My solution was to cancel my credit card, alert my bank, and call both Intelius and People Protect or whatever their name was, and have them refund my money. I was extremely angry when I got through to both companies, and the funny thing was that the operator at 24 Protect Plus was not fazed in the slightest when I told her that she was working for a company that is literally stealing from people. She just gave a resigned sigh and told me that I would see my money refunded within two business days. I have a feeling they hear this constantly.

What is interesting is that if you google AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM-V, the first site that comes up is one for a class action lawsuit against them. I strongly urge everyone who has been ripped off by this company--they own many other sites, including dating services and all sorts of online junk--to add their names to the list. Even the charge on your bank statement doesn't show up as having come through the above site, I would still check it out.

This is internet fraud plain and simple, but if you work at it you will get your money back. Good luck to all of you.
 4th of Jan, 2008 by   charles e. atteberry 0 Votes
I was not aware that I even had this service till I recieved my credit card bill. I do not recall subscibing to this service when I checked this site out. Anything I thought I subscribed to, I thought I deleted but apparrently I didn't so I called the number on my bill and canceled. be careful of free offers that charge you later if you do not cancel with in so many days. I must have errored and it cost me $25.00 to learn a lesson!
 22nd of Jan, 2008 by   Joe Mahma 0 Votes
I recently used Intelius to provide a cellular phone lookup through their website and provided my credit card info for the service. A few days later they notified me that they could not provide this information and would not charge me.

Then 3 months later I noticed a $14.95 monthly charge on my account for the prior 3 months, so I called this company I had no knowledge about "Privacy Matters" who I supposedly subscribed to for some theft identity program. These Privacy Matters people told me the charges originated with a transaction made with Intelius.

I told them to cancel it and then I had to go to my bank and file a dispute to get my money back.
 28th of Jan, 2008 by   Carrie Kitley 0 Votes
I used Intellius for $2.95 to track an address/email (which was 4 years old) and 4 days later, they charged me another unauthorized $19.95 for nothing!! I had to file a dispute with my bank, etc. These guys are conducting a major fraudulent business. DO NOT USE!!!
 28th of Jan, 2008 by   Brian Boyce 0 Votes
Both of these companies operate fraudulently. I have already sent in complaints about both companies to the Better Business Bureau, and I strongly urge others to do the same. I also got taken by these two companies (INTELIUS and Privacymatters Identity). Don't put up with it, complain and shut them down.
 31st of Mar, 2008 by   johns 0 Votes
I agree. Intellius give some old information and they are number one ripoffs. Theay also did unautorized charges on my credt card with an item like this

AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM-V $19.95.

I never asked for this service. I called thePMIdntity company and they cancelled my membership and i asked for a refund and they said it will be don ein 2 business days. Don't know whether they will refund.

PMidenty and Intellius are SCAM artists and stay away from them. Yahoo is the one who is supporting this. Their people serach servive direct you to this stupid company called Intellius.
 7th of Apr, 2008 by   D Dog 0 Votes
Its a SCAM! Beware DO NOT USE !!!
 10th of Apr, 2008 by   Tammi 0 Votes
I to was charged by protect for $19.95 last month. This month they charged me $19.95 for AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM-V. Which is the same company just a different service they offer. I'm tired of this cpmpany charging my credit card. this month we where on a VERY tight budget and it just alittle tighter.
 14th of Apr, 2008 by   Joey Creek 0 Votes
Do not use this site. I have a charge of $19.95 on my account that was not authorized. The original charge was a $2.95 name look up. This was supposed to be the only charge.
 16th of Apr, 2008 by   sherry turner 0 Votes
i want a refund i only wanted 295 to be taken off my credit card
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by   Amy 0 Votes
I too was ripped off!

AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM-V(Other) 19.95 charged to my credit card and my credit card company won't let me dispute it.

This is criminal! The fact that so many people searches lead right to INTELIUS is even more ridiculous.

Something HAS to be done to stop this.
 26th of Apr, 2008 by   Donald Rywolt 0 Votes
I to used intellius. Received obsolete info and thenPMidentiy.com also b illed me 19.95 Not doubt this is a scam and should be looked in to by the authorities.
 26th of Apr, 2008 by   Jessica 0 Votes
I've been sent to the intellis site several times by using the reverse phone lookup websites that the search pulls up. I never subscribed to intellus nor did I give them my info. I just checked my account yesterday and I have two charges for $1.00. I disputed the charges but now I wonder... how did they get my info.?
 16th of May, 2008 by   Jay 0 Votes
I used their people find ervices and then I got billed 19.95 for their Intelius Identity Protect plan WITHOUT MY consent or permission

I immediately disputed the charge with my credit card company and I canceled my credit card so that no future charges without my knowledge, consent, or permission would be charged.

Intelius are an INTERNET SCAMMERS, and these criminals will commit credit card fraud on unsuspecting consumers.

Tax Day: 5 Things to do Now