logo

Posted:    Valerie

Scam and theft

Goodwill Store
goodwill.org
I and my fiance and daughter personally witnessed theft on several occasions by Manager Ginger Haase and her coworker Barb in the Thorndale Pa store. To make a long story fit into 100 words. They would go through items donated, take out all the valuables, jewelry, etc. have them prebagged and waiting for a friend Joanne Pacana to pick up on her lunch break. After complaining from bottom to CEO Ron Kratofil, he banns me from the store and ignores this. This woman still goes in on her lunch break and takes the valuable put aside. This is theft and needs stopped now. Where do I go if CEO condones this?? HELp The public has a right to know where there items are really going!!!
Comments United States Department Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Oct, 2008 by   c. allen 0 Votes
I HAD A IN-LAW THAT WORKED AT A GOODWILL STORE AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THIS HAPPENS.
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   tina 0 Votes
Your right C Allen. My goal is to make people aware where to donate. It sickens me when there are so many needy families and othre organizations that actually help and I see people donating to Goodwill. Not just the store end, but their estates and 401ks, It amazes me how so many people really do not know Goodwill is in my eyes and many a scam. The higher ups have salaries that are ridiculous as they do not deserve, they do nothing for them. They do not even care or have a clue whats going on in the stores. They do not care about theft of donations, but they are earning nice fat paychecks doing nothing. Goodwill in my eyes is a scam who plays on peoples sympathy's for others disabilities and uses it for monetary gain for the higher ups. When you look at what they bring in vs who they help, it doesn't match up.
The get the disabled to do menial jobs from the contracts they earn, they treat them differently, been proven, Ginger Haase infact this same one that is stealing, belittles them. I heard her yelling on the floor in plain earview of everyone to a young guy who worked their with a stuttering problem. She is mean, unprofessional, and steals, yet Goodwill turns a blind eye to this theft. Its got to stop, they have got to quit playing on peoples sympathy in order to steal!!!
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
Please Stop Donations to Goodwill Stores in the Thorndale and all Pa Keystone Stores that are run by Manager Ginger Haase CEO Ron Kratofil Regional Manager April Marconi. Theft is allowed there by manager and employees. We have seen on several occasions Ginger Haase and Barb take out valuable items, jewelry, glassware etc and prebag for friend Joanne Pacana to pick up on her lunch break. Several have witnessed this with their own eyes and asst. manager Becca and employee Sandra confirmed and told us more, however Ron Kratofil and loss prevention Stan McCarty refused to interview these 2 employees who vowed to tell the truth if ever asked. Please find a church or needy family to donate, DO NOT DONATE VALUABLES OF ANY TYPE TO PA GOODWILL STORES UNTIL THE THEFT CAN BE CLEANED UP.
 1st of Nov, 2008 by   giana 0 Votes
I agree, this store is a joke. I know this Barb and Ginger the manager, I cant believe no one does anything about thisl. The managment needs fired. Well I have seen this myself. Barb also puts out junk jewelry and tries to tell people its sterling to pay high prices for goodwill, then gives the expensive jewelry to her friends. It will stop, one way or another. People including myself are not donating to them, we donate to help the needy. Spread the word. Stoppppppppppppppppp Donations to the Thorndale and Pa Goodwill Stores, they steal and the managers allow. I also know a lady who comes in just to pick up antique bears, it seems this Ginger and Barb have there own thing going on here. Managment you should be ashamed!!! Im writing to the charity fraud, irs, anyone I can
 10th of Nov, 2008 by   zollar 0 Votes
If this thieft is really going on why dont you film it and post it on you tube. Perhaps then these people will be embarresed and stop this behavior.
 14th of Nov, 2008 by   tina 0 Votes
your sooooooo right, it does happen, and whats bad is that when the manager Ginger Haase, and CEO Ron Kratofil allow it, thats worse. If they set an example everyone would follow, they know this is going on and cover it up, because in my opinion they are in on it too. There is a reason you could stop this but choose to ignore. Please stop donations to Goodwills, at least in Pa
 14th of Nov, 2008 by   j +1 Votes
Met with local Goodwill execs years ago about some business partnership and my gut impression was that management is a bit shady. Same with Salvation Army, not so much the management, but some of the store clerks seem like they need to be watched as closely as the customers for theft. Plus, I know of Thrift shops where policy is that volunteers get first dibs on whatever's turned in. Not sure if the management of charities turns a blind eye to wards misbehavior by their employees out of a sense of charity, but just avoid giving them anything of value and sell it yourself.
 9th of Jan, 2009 by   marie +1 Votes
I just had a bad experience with shopgoodwill.com. Not my first either. They don't sell honestly, often their descriptions are way of base. On Dec 12 I won an item. I figured the holidays were slowing it down, even though the winning location was no more than 60 miles from my address. I logged on today to find my payment cleared on 12/21, and the item was up for auction again, with a modified, but not enough to realize they did not have 2 of the same item. I emailed and they apoplogzied, but still...I feel it was a scam.
 10th of Apr, 2009 by   Tammylynn +1 Votes
I understand where ya come from. I supported shopgoodwill.com for 2 years buying on there website. spent over 20, 000$$$$. I started getting wrong items, misrepresented items and sometimes nothing was sent to me at all AFTER I PAID FOR THE ITEM'S, & on several occations I was over charged on shipping. I brought it to the attention of the sellers, wrote letters, called them, the last time I complained to the customer care??? they acually closed my account and will not return my emails. pretty crappy if ya ask me. And I am still waiting on 4 refunds. Chances are I will never recieve them. PEOPLE NEED TO BEWARE OF THIS. THIS WEBSITE IS A RIP OFF...Please read there buyer bidding policy before you bid on this website. It basicly says they will sell what they want. To bad so sad if you recieve junk. its not there problem. Please BEWARE
 27th of Jul, 2009 by   missmarie253 +1 Votes
I 100000000% agree with all of you!! Here is something I posted on another website.

I frequently purchased items from the GoodWill online auction for several months. Then I noticed several items would reach astoundingly high prices well before the auction was set to close. Similar items would also reach unrealistically higher sales than the same exact item listed on ebay or other comparable auction sites. Then I started to study particular items that would bring the higher prices. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the same items were re-listed over and over again, and the same bidders would continue to win each auction.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that the GoodWill staff were deliberately shill bidding from private accounts in order to fraudulently inflate the prices. When an item did not bring the desired prices, a goodwill staff member would outbid the high bidder, so they would not have to let the item go for less than expected. Who do they think they are? It doesn't take a genius to realize that when the same item at the GoodWill is selling for 3x more than on Ebay that something fishy is going on. Especially since Ebay consistently gets more traffic and should not be outdone by such a small site like GoodWill. What they are doing is fraud! They are playing off the allure of 'helping a charity' yet their entire inventory is free and they still continue to rip people off. They also mark their prices up sky high, which defeats the purpose of having a thrift store intended to help the poor.

To those of you complaining about ebay shill bidding, at least (poor as it may be) they have a governing body that works objectively between the buyers and sellers. ShopGoodwill has all the control and deliberately scams its customers.

It won't be long before other bidders catch on, which will eventually lead to their demise.
 14th of Jun, 2010 by   Al4me +1 Votes
Let me shed some light on this matter! I too worked in e-sales. Yes, management attempts to rip people off on shipping charges and far worse. If it were not for the hard efforts and constant haranguing of me and some co-works (who have a conscience) things would be worse then it is now, trust me! We peons are treated like dirt, mere machine cranking out labor for the ‘mission’; the mission of greed and arrogance. I have horror story after horror story about them knowingly selling counterfeit items. I’m sure Goodwill does do some good, but the ends never justify the means! And, treating customers and employees with contempt and interference is never right!! Buy and give somewhere else, stay way from all things Goodwill!
 16th of Jun, 2010 by   polyesterview 0 Votes
If I ever won the lottery, the 1st thing I'd do is build a store beside my hometown Goodwill store and call it The Better Will Store. I used to donate to goodwill, until I actually went into the store and realised I couldnt afford to buy my own items back. Now, I sort my items and clothes that I no longer need or want, put them in boxes, sit them in my front yard, up close the the road, and write FREE on the boxes. They are almost always taken within 2 hours and are always completely gone by the next day. I also encourage everyone I encounter to do the same. I go to every garage sale in town... so I encounter lots of people with things to donate.
In defense of the employees, of the store in my town, I've gotten to know, and like them over the last 4 years and they arent happy with the things that go on in their store, but have no voice. And over the last 4 years, the manager is still just as snotty to me as the first time I walked in the door. She acts like she runs an antique or a high end clothing store. I try not to let it bother me and just pray about it. ...because I know that God has a payday and it's not every friday. God bless us all! :)
 12th of Aug, 2010 by   theriotAHDN 0 Votes
The biggest problem I have with Goodwill is that it's obvious that when they get items in, they sort through them, and anything valuable is either stolen, or put online, in order for them to make more money. It's not really charity. It's all one big scam. A lot of people who shop in their stores are less fortunate, and maybe they'd like to get something good instead of all the good things being taken and sold for huge profits online, while junk is put out on store shelves. It's ridiculous.
 28th of Sep, 2010 by   Barbara444 0 Votes
I have been a thrift store shopper for years and hit the shops several times a week purchasing as well as donating. This Thorndale Goodwill is REGULARLY one of the worst experiences I encounter.
1. I tried to purchase a plate (max. $2. item). which was missing a price tag. I asked for a price...they TOOK IT from me, put it in the back, made me feel like I did something wrong by asking to buy it and would not SELL IT TO ME AT ALL! I pushed a little for a price, (I wanted to buy this plate) and received the following information...yes, the manager is in, yes, she prices items, no she will not do it on the spot to sell it to me, no you can not buy it period, it's their policy. Then they made comments to each other behind the counter about me while I was still brousing. OUCH!
2. Another trip I asked to speak so someone about a reduction on price of an item that was high due to paint on the sleeve of the leather jacket. The manager came out...miserable attitude and extremely rude. In fact, she said if I didn't buy it at that price of $35., she was going to take it into the back and not sell it because it shouldn't be on the floor to sell anyway! WOW!
Do yourself a favor, skip this place, drive another 10 minutes and go to the Goodwill in Exton on Route 100. You will enjoy the experience much better. They also have much better stock which makes sense according to the other comments. Thorndale does not have any decent interesting items and I have always wondered why...now I know. I do not donate there anymore even though it is 5 minutes from my home.
 13th of Oct, 2010 by   TJA4 0 Votes
Goodwill is a SCAM! I work there...at the HQ in the Seattle area. the top ex get a pretty penny and the managers; to get a healthy bonus they verbally abuse the employees...seem it over and over and over and over. They use Federal (and maybe state) money for there CCEP program and claim 'jobs change lives'. Ha, jobs sure change the lives of those on top. THEY ARE A 'CHARITY' SCAM! RUN from them!!! Ya, I've got names if you want to me to drop them... Mrs. Terry and Mr. Mark...
 26th of Oct, 2010 by   NegativeNancy 0 Votes
DO NOT DONATE ANYTHING TO THE CHURCHES!!! they get enough of a break with their tax breaks. what was that band in norway that burned churches? oh yeah all of them...heros in my eyes
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   VINTAGEMONKEY 0 Votes
I HAVE WITNESS ON GOING THEFT OF A FAMILY OF FIVE THAT GOES TO VAN DAM OUTLET PER POUND IN
LIC, VAN DAM NY AND PAYS FOR TWO CARTS AND SNEAKS OUT TWO CARTS. I HAVE REPORTED THEM AND
TO NO AVAIL. SINCE THEY KNOW THAT MANY REGULAR CUSTOMERS HAVE NOTICE THEY STILL CONTINUE TO
STEAL FILLING UP TRAVEL BAGS WITH ITEMS AND CARRYING OUT AS THEIR OWN BELONGING. IT IS SAD TO SEE THIS AS I COMMENTED TO ONE EMPLOYEE AND HE SAID HE CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABUT IT UNLESS
MANAGEMENT TAKES ACTION. THIS FAMILY RESELLS AS I WAS INFORMED AND ARE VERY AGRRESSIVE AND COMBATIVE AS THEY HAVE HAD MANY FIGHTS WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS INCLUDING MYSELF AS I DO NOT
LOWER MYSELF TO THEIR LEVEL OF USING VOLGAR SLURRS. THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY FEELING GUILTY AS
THEY APPROACHED ME WAIVING A RECEIPT THAT THEY PAID. THE STUPIDITY OF IT ALL THAT ALL THE
POUNDS WOULD NEVER MATCH THE RECEIPTS AMOUNT. I AM IN FEAR AND WILL SEEK ACTION AS FAR AS
GOING TO THE POLICE TO FILE A REPORT ON THE VERBAL THEFTS AGAINST ME FOR HAVING DONE THE CORRECT THINGS.
 30th of Sep, 2011 by   lovedolphins -1 Votes
I am in need now, i havent been able to find a job and my girls need school clonthes, they refuse to help me, when I called them, they said they"did not help the needy like that", they are a scam and a rip off", BBB should be involved in this million dollar scam!
 25th of Mar, 2014 by   army vet 0607 oif 0 Votes
I want to sue goodwill. Why? My mom forgot to remove a shoulder bag that she was holding on to. She purchased what she like. Still in side store. Bag on her shoulder still. Security tells her go to the office. Calls sheriff. Mom gets arrested. Wtf! Long storystory mademade sshort. Who's a good lawyer
 29th of Apr, 2014 by   Naundi68 0 Votes
This information should be provided to the Attorney General in that state for a full investigation.

Selling Your Phone For An Upgrade