General Electric

Class-action suit on refrigerator moisture!

Seattle, Washington
A recent visit by a GE service person (who was replacing and fixing some parts on our dishwasher due to their recent recall) advised us on the class-action suit GE had regarding moisture problems with a certain line of refrigerators. After a brief look at ours he stated it was one on the list. I took the time to look up this class-action suit on GE refrigerators on the computer . I read an article on the extension given by a judge to consumers who were unaware of this suit. I made a call on Feb 28th for an appointment with a GE repairman to look at our refrigerator. After a brief call with his office, we were informed that they could not honor the class-action agreement of replacing the refrigerator doors, I asked why. Their response was that I responded to late, and they had a deadline, which was Mar 27th? I said I thought that they had extended any deadline for consumers who were unaware of this issue. They said that any further extension beyond Mar 27th would be that the consumer could still get the doors replaced, but for $600.00. Go figure? I will never buy another GE product again and will advise others to do the same.

Rod Hickman.
Complaint comments Comments (63) Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

19th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

General Electric - Poor quality product!

In March of 2005 I purchased a $1,250 General Electric side-by-side stainless steel refrigerator and less than three years later it dies! How could this be unless GE is using inferior materials and finds it acceptable to market poorly made products? I had to pay $116.00 to have it repaired. I wrote to the CEO of the company, Jeffrey Immelt and he had one of his underlings call me. They couldn't even leave a toll-free number for me to call them back. This underling of Mr. Immelt expressed no compassion whatsoever. He told me their parts have a 10 year life expectancy. Yeah, well my part lasted 29 months! He could care less and told me as much. I asked if they wanted a happy GE customer or a disgusted GE customer. Needless to say, they don't expect repeat customers and needless to say, I will never purchase anything made by GE. Speaking of GE, I have a GE television that gives a inferior picture. GE no longer stands for quality.
 20th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes

General Electric - Took my money for nothing

I purchased a washing Machine with the extended warranty, just found out the warranty expired this past February, General Electric is charging me $ 99 for a service call and when the service guy got out he is telling me to fix the machine it will cost me three hundred and seventy two dollars to repair. Then I found out the part that has to be replace was not covered under the warranty any way. So in other words they took my money for nothing. how many people are they are getting over on like that. The machine on only five years old and to repair this machine will cost me the price of a new one. which I can not afford. I need help in getting this machine repaired. I am refusing to pay the $ 99 service fee for them to come out if they had told me over the phone it would have saved me and the service guy time. They knew what they were doing.

Lillian Simmons
 27th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
Amazing that they can get away with this type of extortionately billing! The EXACT same thing happened to me. I refused to pay the $99 - they badgered me for several months with threatening letters to send to collections. I eventually decided it was not worth the hassle and paid it anyway. ...and they had the audacity to forward my account to collections anyway.

This is a prime example of a top heavy corporation out of control, with the obvious demonstrated ability to bully their customers with their untouchability.

I advise anyone who wants to avoid endless frustration to AVOID GE APPLIANCES like the plague!!!
 29th of Apr, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Rod, don't give up on this! I have the same situation and I will and have telephoned Raymond Graft tel 502-479-3649 in Louisville KY at 3005 Resford Way 40205. We have had 2 visits by techs in the Puget Sound region and neither one told us about the recall program. Today, our tech now arrives to diagnose a failed cooling system and says it was caused by the defective door seal and we can get it repaired for about $1000 or get a $400 credit on a new refrigerator! No previous tech told us about it and we don't get a newspaper. Advised it was on the internet, and my response is geappliances is not on my Favorites list of bookmarks to visit. Why would I visit this site?

Anyway, if we don't get admitted to the program, KING, KIRO and KOMO will hear about this and GE will have to respond to media pressure. Give Mr. Graft a call. Tell him living up to his last name is no honor!
 3rd of Jul, 2008 by    +1 Votes

General Electric - Terrible customer service
General Electric

Dealing with GE Customer Service is the worst experience I ever had. I have a product under warranty and trying to get service or a phone call answered is horrible. I will never buy or recommend a GE product. Stay away from them!
 14th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I bought a general electric washing this past march from PC Richards, the machine was broken within month the motor burned out. I called to make a service appt. they said they would get back to me within 24 48 hours no one ever did. i called them back and said that the appt was for that saturday. the machine has broken down again, again i called to make an appt. went through the same thing all over again. took a unpaid day off AGAIN, recieved a phone at 3 pm that the tech was sick and not comming. and that there was no one else to fix it. then i called the service dept and the young lady gave me an attitude. I WILL NEVER BUY A GE PRODUCT AGAIN AND I WILL TELL MY FRIENDS TOO.
 4th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
We are having the same problem with our GE 2002 refridgerator. The mositure problem in the freezer is out of control. The freezer and door ice/water is unuseable and I have to keep a plastic tub under the unit to protect my hardwood floors. We were never notified of this defect and now the date of the replacement is past and to have working ice we will have to replace the door for over $600! I called the GE 1-800-GECARES number only to find out that they do not CARE! A GE repair person came to the house and confirmed that the doors are defective, but there was nothing he could do about it because it was past the deadline of the class action lawsuit. I will never buy a GE product again, with terrible customer service and defective products- why should anyone buy their products?
 6th of Aug, 2008 by    -1 Votes
Phone GE Cares

We are having the same problem with our GE 2002 refrigerator. The moisture problem in the freezer is out of control. The freezer and door ice/water is unusable and I have to keep a plastic tub under the unit to protect my hardwood floors. We were never notified of this defect and now the date of the replacement is past and to have working ice we will have to replace the door for over $600! I called the GE 1-800-GECARES number only to find out that they do not CARE! A GE repairperson came to the house and confirmed that the doors are defective, but there was nothing he could do about it because it was past the deadline of the class action lawsuit. I will never buy a GE product again, with terrible customer service and defective products- why should anyone buy their products?
Tom & Stephanie Newport
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404
 7th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
 17th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I bought a GE.refrigerator in 2007, and up to this time I have a continuous problem with the ice maker.
The repair Technician came to my house four times, each time, assuring me the problem was fixed.What can I do to get the problem fixed? Am I to assume GE.Appliance repair dept.is just a bad joke?
 5th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
We have a 2008 Model GE profile refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave/hood, as well as range. So far we have had a repairman replace a circut board in the fridge, a thermister, been told it also now needs an ice maker, and a damper thingy. HHHMMM GE said they would send a letter. What does this mean? We have not recieved a letter and they only covered $100 in food loss when the refer was at 62 degrees after service that was supposed to fix the problem. Now comes the kicker! Guess what is going on with the Dishwasher? I am told two weeks ago that a faulty circut board is to blame for a fan that won't shut off. Same as what started our issues with the refer. Incidentely the refer is still having a fan run while the thing is turned off even with the new circut board...I just recieved a call from the dishwasher repair guy that he cannot make his appointment he scheduled for me two weeks ago when I asked him to make us his first appointment...I have never had such terrible customer service! If their is a class action going on I'd like to know where to get information on it since they are not going to resolve it anytime soon and I am running out of leave time to be at home to wait for people who are not the slightest bit interested in helping us!!! Maybe we can get Jessy!!!
 9th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
thank you for this information. I have a GE side by side that is leaking water...so much so that the entire bottom of the freezer fills with water and freezes and my bottom drawer gets dislodged and then, I have a puddle on the floor daily, which has caused the subfloor under my tiles to warp...so now I have a busted fridge and a damaged floor??? I just called 866-839-4463, designated for fridge lawsuit customers, only to find out that my model # is not included in the lawsuit. My model # is TFX 25 KR...wonder why it's not included when it sounds like I have the same freezer "peeing" problems that everyone else is having????

If anyone has add'l info, please let me know!!!

Single Mom in Maryland

U.S. Courthouse & Federal Building

2110 First Street
Ft. Myers, Florida 33901

Class Action Case No. 2:05-cv-186-FtM-33DNF

My name is Jarred D Johnson, and I have had numerous issues with a side by side refrigerator manufactured by GE which was previously included in a class action lawsuit over faulty doors and moisture issues in the freezer. It is my understanding that GE did not do enough to advertise to alert customers that their product was included in this action, as I and thousands of others still are just now learning of this action for the first time in 2008-2009,

THEREFORE, I am kindly asking that you would grant an extension of time to allow more plaintiffs to file and adjoin the action so that our faulty products would be fixed and ask that you would give the new members at least a 24 month window of time to do so. Doing so would give customers that are encountering this faulty product for the first time an opportunity to repair them. My side-by-side refrigerator came with the purchase of my house and I was not the original customer, so I was not in the GE database and was not mailed any notification by GE regarding the settlement.

Jarred D Johnson
 30th of Jun, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I also have a 2002 GE refrigerator that was repaired in 2005. The heater went out, resulting in no cooling. I complained to GE becuase the unit was so new. They sent me information about the class action lawsuit and eventually reimbursed me for the cost of the 2005 repair.

This week the same thing happened - freezer iced up, loss of cooling. I talked to the GE "Moisture Dept." this morning and they waived the $69 service call fee. Today, the GE repairman again replaced the heating unit and stated that this heater unit was a new, improved model, which they did not have in 2005. The reapir cost $185. I called the "Moisture Dept." number to complain that the unit was not fixed correctly in 2005 and asked to be reimbursed for the $185. They refused, but did agree to refund the part cost. I told them that wasn't good enough, that I wanted the total cost reimbursed. "That's not gonna happen, " she said. Any ideas on how to resolve this?
 6th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
My GE side by side Profile control panel keeps breaking. This time it has ruined all my floors and flooded into basement. Is there a lawsuit going on over this problem. I am out a lot of money in damages.
 19th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
I bought a set of GE Profile Stainless Steel appliances including a Side by side Fridge JGB920, Dishwasher, Range and a Microwave Oven in 2005.

The Dishwasher conked out in 2007. GE charged me $85 to send a person out, he could not fix it and gave up. I ended up buying a new Profile dishwasher for $1100. The Fridge has been having problems with temparature settings for the last 2 years. The freezer and main fridge area temperatures show -48 and -28 or so and then it starts making clicking sounds. I found that if we turn it off and restart after a while it becomes okay. My wife leaves it open sometimes to allow it to get "ack to normal". The problem we also see is that it can be firehazard as the fridge light turns on one in a while and turns extremely hot, I keep thinking it could set the house on fire.

I am sick of GE. This is not the way very expensive appliances are supposed to work. The problem is with matched kitchen appliances you cannot even bring in new appliances from other brands.

Class action suits any one? I will join.
 5th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
I too am having the same problem. Called GE today and was told the same thing- I can get a $400 credit towards a new GE refridgerator, or can pay $425.00 for the new doors that are needed, since this is past the deadline of the lawsuit. Now why would I want another GE appliance or pay out of pocket for a known faulty piece of equipment?

If GE is aware that their merchandise is faulty, there should be a recall. When I asked about why this was not recalled, I was told becuase it was not a "safety" concern. Unreal! What a bunch of crooks! My fridge is 7 years old. Had issues within a year of purchasing it and had to jump through hoops to get that fixed.

Please keep me posted on if there is any more chatter about an extension to this class action lawsuit. I would definitely like to join.
 11th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have also had problems with a 2002 side by side. First prolems were in 2005. Now the same problem the heater burned out.
Had a repair here yesterday, just tired of the whole thing. Went out and bought a new refrigerator yesterday, not a GE.
 21st of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
We purchased a new side-byside in 03 and it has started leaking . In 08 a heat defrost unit was replaced. My hardwood floor was ruined and had to be replaced. I, at the time did not realize it was the frige.
Here I am in Aug 09 and it is leaking again, and areas of my kitchen hardwood floor is showing damage. Yes I agree another pay-out should come to the rest of the people. Any reputable company should stand by all their customers regardless of dates. Afterall they would never refuse several years of a payment plan from us, the consumer. I thought I was safe buying GE: What has happened?

30th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I purchased a complete set of ge profile appliances in 2005, the microwave broke in 2007 and the dishwasher cuaght fire las night. I could not fing any class action suits on this and ge's customer service sucks

GE Appliances Logo GE Appliances