logo

2. (12 mins ago)
ICICI Bank
Unable to COnfirm Payee while abroad
3. (14 mins ago)
yes loans and elephant loans
harrassment
Apply urgent loan offer

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Geico Car Insurance Complaints & Reviews - Refused to pay my claim!

Geico Car Insurance Contacts & Informations

Geico Car Insurance

Posted:    Valerie

Refused to pay my claim!

GEICO has refused to pay on a claim that they first promised to pay. I have been going back and forth with GEICO for over two months now. GEICO has no record of a phone call that I made to them on October 16... I proved them wrong by pulling the phone records from my place of employment. They did not care that their records were incomplete and erroneous. I have sent two complaints to the insurance commissioner's office, the second is still pending... following is the text from the second complaint:

This is a follow-up to my first complaint that I submitted in December of 2006. Since that submission, GEICO has embarked down a path of the most unprofessional and incompetent behavior that I have ever experienced with any company. I did not receive a direct phone call from GEICO in response to my complaint to you, but rather a voicemail left on my home phone, a number which I did not give them as a contact number. They had my work number, but chose to leave a message at my home. In that voicemail, Tina, who chose not to leave her last name on the voicemail, detailed the data that GEICO had in their system regarding my policy. She spoke of several conversations in which I had with GEICO, but conveniently left out the important phone conversation that I had with a customer service representative on October 16, 2006. In that phone conversation, which lasted thirteen minutes, the rep told me that I was to call back on October 20 and make a payment for the balance and that things would be “taken care of.” I followed the instructions, but found out a month later that my policy had been canceled at that time. I don't understand how I could have paid $260 in August, $200 at the end of September, and another $105 on October 20 and have my policy canceled. Tina has continuously stated that the payment on October 20 was for arrears, but I was NEVER told this on the phone in the THREE conversations that I had with GEICO representatives from October 11 - October 20.

As I stated before, my policy changed twice between August and October, and I had no idea that I was in arrears. Nobody, on those two occasions when I changed the policy, informed me that my policy was in arrears. GEICO even had a phone conversation documented when my grandmother called at the end of November, but conveniently had no record of my conversation with GEICO on October 16.

Tina also stated in this voicemail that my policy canceled on October 13. How could that be if they say I, on October 12, made payment arrangements for October 15? Why would I make payment arrangements two days after my policy was to cancel?

I just made a call to a GEICO representative tonight... Melissa was her name, 10:30pm was the time. She informed me that my two payments, $260 made on August 21 and then another $200 payment on September 27, 2006, brought my account current, except for $40.00. GEICO then renewed my policy on October 1 for another six months... brand new policy! The rep tonight told me that the amount I was due at that time was $179.60 (approx. $120 for October and the balance from September.) If I had paid that amount, my policy would have been active and my next payment due in November. Please note that in August and September, I paid what was told to me to be the amount due at that time. I then took an automobile off the policy on October 11, which lowered my payment even more. I can’t understand why GEICO would have renewed another six months if I was facing cancellation from the past policy? Again, it doesn’t make sense. Which policy were they canceling... the old or the new?

I reiterate from my last complaint a statement that Ms. Webb made to me, and which she now denies, that she was “surprised that my claim was denied.” She added that she was in customer service for many years and that when a policy was changed, it would stop all cancellations against a policy.

As a result, I had a conversation with Michael, a senior supervisor at GEICO (and Tina’s supervisor), on October 28, where we discussed my concerns about the voicemail that was left by Tina. They proclaimed that I never made the October 16th call. I told them I had the phone records to prove it, and Mr. White asked that I retrieve those records and fax to him to show that this call was made. I did this, as instructed, and faxed over as soon as I received them (on January 10, 2007). On the fax, I instructed Mr. White to call me at my work to confirm that he received the fax. I called then again the next day, and then again twice the next. It was two days after when I finally received a call from Mr. White (Friday, January 12, 2007) and said he received the fax and that I should receive a call back on Monday regarding the phone records and their impact on my claim. I received no response until I called again on Monday afternoon, where I was informed that it would now be another five days (Friday, January 19) before I would hear anything. Apparently, the gentleman who was to review the records and make a decision needed that time to do so. On Thursday, January 18, I received a call from Marty informing me that Tina received my fax (please note that this is now EIGHT days after I faxed them over) and that it would be next Friday (January 26, 2007) before I would hear anything. She stated that this was because the gentleman who needed to review it was on vacation all week and wouldn’t be able to get it until Monday, January 22. (today). Please note that Mr. White had informed me three days prior that the gentleman already had the documents and would get me an answer by Friday (January 19). I informed Ms. Webb of this fact, with her apologizing to me for taking so long to get back to me, and, that once she had gotten back to me, “had given me wrong information.”

Please understand that this wasn’t the first time that Ms. Webb has given me false information. I received a call from Marty Webb on December 7, 2006 where she took my recorded statement about the accident and informed me that my claim was going to be paid. She reviewed all the expenses that GEICO was going to cover (such as medical, loss wages, rental car reimbursement, etc.,) and took the name and address of the place at where my car was being stored. Additionally, she sent out the necessary paperwork for me to have filled out by the doctors and such, which I received in the mail and now have on file. She asked me at that time to make arrangements with the auto shop where the car was being stored to expect a GEICO representative to pick up the car sometime that day. It was much later the same day that Marty called me and explained that they would not be paying the claim. I believe that Ms. Webb, at that moment she informed me that the claim was to be paid, entered into a contractual agreement to pay the claim... I will be discussing this with a lawyer this week. I have witnesses that can confirm that this conversation existed and that I made preparations that day for the car to be picked up from the auto repair shop.

It’s Friday, January 19, 2007 and I am expecting a call from Mr. White, as promised, regarding the claim and the phone records. I hear nothing, and leave a message on his voicemail at 6pm. I again call on January 20 and left another voicemail for Mr. White to call me immediately on Monday, January 22, 2007 (this morning). Needless to say, I received no communication from Mr. White. Instead, I receive another voicemail on my home telephone from Tina. In all of my communications, I have asked that the calls be made to me at my place of work so that the calls could be recorded as incoming calls in our phone system records. This was for my protection... I have learned that phone records at my home cannot be retrieved except by court order, therefore work was the obvious alternative. As I said, Tina, not Mr. White, left me a voicemail at home stating they are standing behind their decision because they say I needed to have made yet another payment on October 20 (in addition to the one I made) in order for my policy to stay active. If this was the case, why did they tell me my balance was $105.32 on October 12 and October 16? Why wasn’t I told of the entire balance that was needed in order to keep my service active? It apparently wasn’t the $105.32 amount that they asked for and told me was the balance. It doesn’t make sense.

Sir/Madam, I do not understand why GEICO asked me to obtain the phone records if it would not change the course of this claim. GEICO has no record of the October 16 phone call, and I do. This shows an absolute breakdown of communication within their organization, and raises doubt as to their competency to retain accurate and comprehensive information. It is unexplainable that GEICO would have the ability to state what was said or not said in a conversation of which they have no record of in the first place. Furthermore, it is not believable that I could have made two payments in less than a month and not be covered. It would seem that GEICO would have canceled my insurance long before if I were so far in arrears.

I reiterate...I was told by a representative of GEICO and led to believe that my payment on October 20 was the payment required to keep my policy active and valid. The documentation shows that I made an effort to keep a full line of communication open with GEICO at all times since October 11. It is proven that GEICO has not been so efficient, and has failed at keeping accurate records and providing accurate information.

I have a full journal of communications that I have had with GEICO since all of this began, and can document all of my conversations with the many people that work with Marty Webb. All of this is available to you, if needed. It details all the problems that I have encountered, incorrect information that was given to me, who gave me the incorrect information, and calls that were not returned when promised. I also have recorded both voicemails left by Tina.

I am asking for more than just a call to this company. I am asking for a full investigation, and a meeting with an arbitration board. I will do everything I need to do to force GEICO to honor the promises that were made to me, including writing to the editors of newspapers (a copy of this complaint is to be delivered to Mr. Greg Dawson at the Orlando Sentinel), television stations, consumer business groups, the BBB, and local government officials. I will also be obtaining the services of a lawyer, if needed.

It is my hope that I have covered all of the information in this brief summary. If you have any questions for me to help you better understand the issues that I have addressed in this summary, please feel free to contact me at the numbers below. It has been almost two months that I have been left waiting on my claim to process!!!
Comments United States Auto Insurance & Loan
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Apr, 2007 by   Noah Moore 0 Votes
I also have a bad experience with GEICO. A GEICO insured car rammed into the back of my motorcycle at a stop light. We had been stopped for several minutes at a major intersection when she just decided to pull forward. She said she thought that the traffic had started to move. Actually she was on a cell phone and was very inattentive to her driving. Having been on a trip, I needed an immediate replacement motorcycle rented at $100.00 per day. Her insurer GEICO , said they would allow $25.00 per day. I had to bring the client to court and won to collect the rental replacement cost. I don't know how GEICO grew to be so large while treating customers like this. I would never be insured by GEICO.
 27th of May, 2007 by   Brenda Tickler 0 Votes
Geiko refusing to pay claim after someone vandelised my DP Van with wheelchair lift. They are a bait & switch company & now I must find another Insurance company. Farmers I just got rid of after them having multi lawsuits & difficult to deal with, they filed a fraudulent claim. There was no claim at all. This would have been covered under Farmers same coverage as Gieko but Gieko just wants to sell insurance 7 doesn't care about customers... a scam & rip off. Need an attorney to deal with this. Help!
 30th of Jul, 2007 by   maflague 0 Votes
My truck was totaled over a week ago by a drunk driver insured by Geico. They to this day are still trying to determine if he was covered or not under his insurance policy. In other words they are trying to find a way out of paying it. Meanwhile I still don't have my vehicle to drive and the drunk refuses to call his insurance company.
 16th of Oct, 2007 by   Cassandra Petranelli 0 Votes
I used to work for Geico, please don't hate me.. I USED to work there and no longer do for good reasons.. Geico is very sneaky in the way they do business. They have "policies and procedures" set in place to basically screw over hard working people that NEED to have insurance. Because the state of FL requires you carry car insurance, or your license will be suspended, Geico has found legal ways to jack up rates. They do use your credit score to help determine what kind of rate (or class) you will get. The worse your credit is, the higher your premium will be. That is WRONG and unfair! I had such a horrible experience working with Geico because of what I had to tell people. Its hard to tell a single, hard working mother of 3 with 2 jobs that her 6 month premium is $3200.00 and I would need more than half up front. Also, their policy on deceased policy holders is disgusting and morbid, they have NO compassion. You have to be cold hearted or have no heart at all to work at Geico..

DON'T EVER GO WITH THE GECKO, CAUSE THATS ALL U PAY FOR IS THEIR ADVERTISING!!! BUT IF SOMETHING REALLY GOES WRONG AND YOU NEED THEIR SERVICES, BE PREPARED TO FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU DESERVE!
 15th of Nov, 2007 by   Yvonne E. Williams 0 Votes
I don't believe there is enough space to tell all that we have been through to even report my son's accident. He is insured by Geico.
A woman ran into him, no damage, who was also a customer of Geico, and our son's car was totaled because she knocked him from an almost stop, off the road into a culvert. This was in southern AL which may explain part of the problem. We called Geico and reported the accident and they told me what they needed (police report, etc). We went the next day and took care of that, got all of the info together including a description of the accident from our son. After telling someone at Geico all of this, taking about 30 minutes, they asked that we fax it to them.
We faxed the 5 pages to them. That's when the problems began. It seems that none of the employees at Geico has the same info on the computer. We had to tell the entire story with facts 4 more times on the phone, ( twice to the same person) and finally faxed another copy of the 5 pages to this person. Then we were referred to CLAIMS. Impossible to get her on the phone and she didn't return the calls. On and on and on. As soon as/if this is settled we are going to change.

The amount of the claim isn't that much as the car was old and our son wasn't hurt except for a bumped knee. He didn't even get a loaner car so we had to drive him. If they don't send him a check soon, I too will go to the Insurance Commission.
 24th of Nov, 2007 by   Sarthak Basnet 0 Votes
I read your article regarding geico, and somewhat scared me because currently I am facing a lawsuit for a minor accident and I have yet to contact geico. I was wondering if you could tell me, would geico cover me for this lawsuit, if I am fully insured by geico.
 27th of Nov, 2007 by   denise clark 0 Votes
I had lost my home after owning 17 years working hard single mother of 3 kids because of car insurance liability it took them more than a year to pay me back 10.000 dollars back We lost our home. Cavemans find the fire they are smart I am still trying to get back on my feet since 2002 after they paid me year later did not have no home they dumped me suspended my license what else can you beat 250.000 dollars alimony home is gone.
 14th of Jan, 2008 by   vera bunn 0 Votes
I am having the same problems with GEICO discribed by the majority of people on this site. Someone hit us wnd showed an insurance card from GEICO but when we contacted them they said he was not insured by them. Asked them to send a letter confirming that so we can forward to the police but 24 days later and 17 calls we still dont have it. We are also insured by GEICO and were told we have to put in a claim on our policy but we have a $500.00 deductable and will have to take the hit for that. Well guess what? 24 DAYS LATER and we still cant get an adjuster to look at our car and give us an estimate so I can get it fixed. Every time I call I speak to a different person who tells me according to their records the car has been inspected and the estimate will be downloaded at the end of tne day. This has been going on for 7 days now. As soon as this is paid I will be cancelling my ins. with GEICO and filing compalints with the NJ Dept. of Banking and Insurance and NJ Consumer Protection, plus every other agency Ican in New Jersey.
 8th of Feb, 2008 by   Kenneth Goss 0 Votes
Recently I ran over metal objects that fell off of a vehcile insured by Gieco. My vehicle was new, less than 500 miles. My front left tire was punctured and ruined.

It took over 5 hours to get the tire replaced, after waiting for the police report.

A direct replacement for this tire could not be found. Although I was re imbursed for the tire, Gieco refused to compensate me for the 5 hours waiting to h ave the tire replaced, mounted etc.

I feel that Gieco should compensate me for the time I lost. My son is an attorney and I feel that he will handle this probono for his dad.
 24th of Feb, 2008 by   Bhart 0 Votes
It has been a month and a couple days we were rear ended by a person who is insured through Geico. We cannot even get a direct answer from them. I finally had to hire a attorney even though Oklahoma is at fault state and he hit us going at least 50miles or more an hour in a 45 mph speed zone. He hit us so hard it spun us around and put us up on the curb. Now Geico is saying they are investigating who's fault it was. Come on he got the speeding ticket and pleaded guilty and paid the fine. We have several witnesses and police report. I think we wil have to end up suing him and Geico.
 4th of Apr, 2008 by   pika 0 Votes
Geico is difficult to work with. You have to keep at it until you get what you need. in my case, after a road debrie cracked my windshie;d They put cheaper non-OEM winshield on a 3-month old new car. The cheap windshield did not fit properly. I complained and complained until literally lost my voice. I spoke to many, many customer reps. I kept calling and calling and finally met with the Adjuster at a repair shop to inspect the bad winshiedl installation. I got statements from my dealer that bad windshield will cause water leak and void manuafactuer warranty. I got statements from other repair shops that the work that was done was poor workmanship and wrong type of winshied used to repair damage. I had the Geico authorized repair shop look at it and get their feedback. The adjuster approved the replacement of non-oem windshield with a OEM part!
 7th of Apr, 2008 by   Randy 0 Votes
On November 19, 2007, I was followed to a gas station and the stalker told me that he was going to damage my car, so I increased the coverage. Prior to that date, I had been robbed and assaulted by this stalker, so I took his threat seriously, and that is why I increased the coverage on my car. Sometime around the Thanksgiving holiday, my car was vandalized.

Now Geico is refusing to pay for any of the damages because they are claiming that the damage occurred before November 20, 2007. There had been damage to the car prior to that date. In August of 2007, my the rims had been stolen off of my car. The value of the rims was $2, 500. I took that as a loss and I am okay with that. My car was also egged.

During the Thanksgiving holiday, Derek Tarken and his friends destroyed my car. They smashed the front windshield, the rear windshield, the side window on the drivers side, and they deflated my tires, cut my leather seats, and ripped off the door to where the gasoline goes, and scratched every painted surface on the car. I have contacted the police and the matter is currently under investigation.

Nonetheless, I need to have my car repaired. I have been without my car for four months, and because of this, I have lost my job and have had to drop out of college. I am not sure how else to handle this besides suing Geico for the damages done to my car, lost wages, and tuition repayment. As well as $20 a day for a rental vehicle rental. Before I hire a lawyer, I would like to know my rights and responsibilities in a case like this. Also, I would like to just settle this without going to court.

The agent that has been handling my case at Geico is Neila Huan. I have been trying for several months to get this case resolved and it is not working.
 23rd of Apr, 2008 by   Jack Tunnell 0 Votes
I submitted a complaint and you Have Not Printed
My Complaint about Geico. It involved my Wife
Susan Tunnell getting injured in a car accident
in 2004 and Geico Is Our Insurance Company and
We have FULL COVERAGE WITH UNINSURED/
UNDERINSURED COVERAGE and the OTHER AT
FAULT DRIVER WAS UNINSURED. Geico still hasn't paid and we had to hire a Attorney to Fight Our OWN
INSURANCE COMPANY(GEICO). WE have 52, 000
Dollars in Medical Bills From Accident and still
climbing. Geico offerd 13, 000 and We have to pay All THE BILLS. WE Told them to GO TO HE??. YES
SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE GEICO PAY!!!
JACK TUNNELL
 9th of May, 2008 by   michael luprano 0 Votes
there are laws in place to protect insurance companies against fraud but why are there not any laws to protect the consumer against insurance companies that fraud consumers like GEICO
 9th of May, 2008 by   jim newman 0 Votes
my car was stolen then recovered GEICO said they won't dicuss anything until i sign my car over to them which they refuse to fix.
 11th of May, 2008 by   jim newman 0 Votes
tell Geico you are filing a "BAD FACE CLAIM" too many bad face claims will stop GEICO from operating in that state, so people don't be afraid stand up to GEICO
 27th of May, 2008 by   Joe Andrese 0 Votes
My car was hit as I was going through and intersection while the light was green. The person who hit me was in a hurry to take his girlfriend to work and was stopped at the red light at the intersection and was supposed to proceed after my car had gone through the green light on my side. I was almost through the intersection when I saw his vehicle and I slowed down because I couldn't believe he kept on coming into my car and wasn't even looking. I got out of the car and we agreed that since he hit me, he would contact his insurance which was Geico. I called Geico and gave them my statement. They couldn't contact the person who hit me for 2 weeks. Then when they finally got his statement, he said I had gone through the red light and I caused the accident. The Geico claims office said that since we did not contact the police, and there were no witnesses to the accident which occurred at 8 a.m. in the morning and the accident didn't look serious enough for people to stop and give a statement as to what they saw, Geico refused to cover the cost to repair my car. I had to get my insurance to have my insurance pay for the repairs. I still had to pay the deductibe. Geico insisted that it was my word against their insured statement. As I have heard in the other complaints about Geico, they spend their money on those silly commercials that you see on TV instead of paying for insurance claims. The driver of the other car was on his grandmother's insurance policy and was driving a car that she had given to him, and had every reason to lie about the accident and Geico used his lies to refuse payment for damages to my car.
 8th of Jul, 2008 by   Peggy Williams 0 Votes
am in Florida and I Also am having a very difficult time with Geico-We were involved in a four car accident and not at fault-The guy who was at fault was insured by Geico. He drove a large truck-big tires-anyway he lost steering and hit three different cars-mine included-We were all sitting on 27 waiting for a guy to turn-There is no turning lanes due to construction-you just turn from the lane you are driving in-none of us were moving when he hit us.

I drive a cadillac and my husband is handicapped and we have to have a car with a trunk large enough for his wheelchair-I contacted my insurance Co. after the Dundee police gave us the HSMV crash report- my Insurance Co. said contact Geico and see if they would take care of it first- since I have a 500.00 deductable and I didn't know it but I had no car rental insurance(I do now!!-I called Geico and reported it-I did all this at the accident-I gave Geico all the information about all the vehicles involved.

They said when they spoke to their client who caused the accident and if he told them he was at fault they would get back to me-They did.

Geico set up an appointment with their adjuster(the accident happened Thursday before July fourth)My appt. was for the following Tuesday. The whole time they told me they would take care of everything and after I saw the adjuster they would reserve a rental for me- I spoke with five different Geico TEAM MEMBERS over the holiday weekend and on Monday

We had driven our car home from the accident and were willing to drive to the adjuster(the adjuster does not come to you) but the whole right side of the car was damaged and the front tire on the passenger side was pushed in at an angle. We told Geico about the damage and they were Ok with us driving the car to meet the adjuster

Our appointment was at 10:00am at 8:30am the claims adjuster from the Geico Lakeland office called as we were getting in our car-She informed us she had been out of the office and Geico would be unable to pay the damages or supply us with a rental car(We have been without a car since Thursday and my husband is handicapped)I told her all this and she was very sorry but there was nothing she could do-We could keep our appointment with the Geico adjuster but they could not pay for my claim(yet-I would have to contact my insurance Co. and have them take care of it. She said he (the client)didn't have enough coverage for all vehicles involved. I ask her why noone had told us before now-She said she had been out of the office-What about her TEAM I had spoken too?
and what were we supposed to do for a rental vehicle-I ask what she would do- she said for me to call my insurance company and she then said we were going in circles was there anything else she could help me with? It certainly wasn't going to be a Rental Car.

I called my insurance Co.-State farm and they handled everything. My car is at Fields Cadillac being repaired-My agent told me to call Geico and ask if they could pay for the rental since my insurance didn't cover that and since State Farm had covered everything else it was worth a try-I called her back and ask her she said no there was nothing she could do-they would pay State Farm since they would be paying for the repairs-there was nothing they could do for us.

I had already called Enterprise when Geico had said they were going to supply a rental and made sure they had something my husband could get into from his wheelchair- that also had a large trunk-To Hold the wheel chair-

I called Clifton at Lake Wales Enterprise and Apologized for any inconvenience-HE Was VERY NICE-Said if there was any way he could help us to let him know.

We still don't have a rental- Geico said they didn't know how long it would take to resolve this they had contacted two of the drivers that had been hit(I'm one)- to tell us to have our insurance companies take care of the damages and the third driver had not been contacted yet-they had left the third driver messages-They couldn't resolve anything until he was contacted(what a joke

Geico Needs To take some lessons from State Farm Insurance & Enterprise Car Rental and Lots of Help with Customer Relations!!! They don't care!!!

My husband is telling all his friends how Geico treated him and now I'm telling people too!

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   littlehim 0 Votes
I worked for GEICO as an attorney, I know exactly what each of you are saying. Don't hit me up with hate mail, everyone has a right to work somewhere, doesn't mean that you like who you work for, or what you do.

Well I am still a lawyer, and I fight GEICO hands tooth and nail, I have won every CIVIL SUIT that I have filed against GEICO since 2000.
 14th of Dec, 2008 by   Joe Schmo 0 Votes
This sounds like a lot of whining - maybe if you weren't so negative with the people you're speaking to about the claim, you would have made better progress. Waaaahhhhhhh... that's all I've read in any of the post above. Don't bash the insurance company, make some progress using some positive responsibility and communication skills.

Tips How to Wrap a Christmas Gift with Fabric