logo

Bad service

Gateway Computers
Irvine, California
gateway.com
In May 2007 I bought 2 Gateway laptop computers from Best Buy. Computer #1 was returned to Best Buy, within 3 weeks of purchase, because it would not go through the setup process. It was in the shop for a month. After getting the computer back, it was not working properly and was returned to Best Buy again, for 3 weeks.I returned with the computer a third time but received no satisfaction. When I asked for the 6 month free service warranty to be extended, because I had not had the use of my computer for 2 of the 6 months, I was told NO> I wrote to Best Buy to report my experience, and was basically told, "TOO Bad". In June 2008, one month after the warranty expired, omputer #2 stopped running. I took it to a repair center and spent $285. to find out that the motherboard was inoperable, and that the cost of repairs would exceed the cost of a new computer. On Aug 8, 2008, I mailed this computer to Gateway Corporate Headquarters, in Irvine, CA, with a letter, requesting satisfaction from them, since they produced the product; and have received NO REPLY, to date. A full month after their receipt, they have not had the courtesy or concern enough to respond to my complaint. We have bought and used Gateway computers in the past and are disgusted with their lack of response.

At this point, Computer #1 is making the same sounds that computer #2 did prior to crashing. I am losing faith in Gateway and believe that they are producing poor quality products and selling them through Best Buy which becomes a layer of protection for them.

There seems to be no way to get satisfaction from corporate America.
Comments United States Computers & Accessories
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Sep, 2008 by   Robert B 0 Votes
Gateway computer customer service is nowhere to be found..absolute mess trying to find out the status of my computer repair. Its going to be going on three monthe since my desktop dissapeared into the black hole of Gateway's Wearhouse.
Ive had to buy a seperate cell phone to deal with this issue since waiting on hold would expire all my alloted minutes on my regular phone.
As of today September 22nd I have over a total of 62 hours on hold. Even after all that time I still cant find out any information about my computer.
What is a person to do????
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Kevin Riley 0 Votes
This is ridiculous. Below is what I am currently dealing with. I have been without my computer since 08/26/2008 and today is 10/06/2008.

To Whom It May Concern:

This entire situation has gotten way out of hand. I called the number below
and was told that my computer has been shipped to another service center
because the one that it was originally sent to has been shut down. I expect
to receive some type of renumeration for what I have had to go through.

I have had trouble with my product since the time I received it. I had to
call in one and ended up having to reinstall the system. Since the
reinstallation, I continued to have trouble. On August 26, 2008, I chatted
with an online technician who instructed me to send in my system. I did
exactly as I was instructed, and upon calling in to check on my Notebook, it
could not be located. It took about a week and a half before I received
notification that my product was even received by your service center. Then
after about another week I was told that my system needed a new hard drive
for which had been ordered. It took about another week and a half and then
I was told that a new hard drive was put in but it would not load windows
and it was sent off and that I pretty much just had to wait.

THEN, on Spetember 26, 2008 I received notification that the service was
complete and that my system had been shipped back to me as indicated in one
of the emails below. When I called the number in the email that I received
on October 2, 2008, I was told that my computer has been shipped somewhere
else. So I was lied to when I was told that the repair was complete.
Everytime I call to check on my system, there's always something else.

I thought that Gateway was a reputable company. This whole experience has
made me lose confidence. I need someone to get in contact with me
immediately, or not only am I going to consult my attorney, but I am going
to file a complaint with the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau
and anyone else who can help me to resolve my issue. I have spent too much
time trying to chase down my computer. This was purchased for business
purposes and has hindered me greatly in my business. I expect to hear from
someone within your company ASAP.

Kevin Riley

Subject: RE: Service Shipment Confirmation # 2-2613065611
(KMM26463223V95784L0KM)

> Hello Kevin,
> I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Unfortunately, I am
> unable to perform your callback request. I will need to direct you to
> contact our service dispatch team for further assistance and for them to
> address the repair issue. They can be reached at 877-487-1150. They
> are available from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday - Friday (Central Standard
> time). Thank you for your cooperation. Again, my sincerest apologies.
> Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with this
> respective companies.
> Original Message Follows:
> -------------------------
> We are having serious issues with my Notebook right now and I am getting
> extremely upset. I have been more than patient with this entire
> situation.
> I have been without my Notebook since 08/26/2008 and today is
> 10/02/2008. I
> need your company to make this situation right or I will have no choice
> but
> to consult my attorney. I need a phone call from someone within your
> company immediately to discuss this situation.
> Regards,
> Kevin Riley, Broker
> CENTURY 21 Daniel & Associates Realty, Inc.
> Office: 501.223.2521
> (KMM26451226V36356L0KM)
> Hello Kevin,
> Thank you for using Gateway's Online email support. In reference to
> your request, please allow 2 to 3 days for further updates about the
> tracking information about the tracking information. It is currently
> being transferred to another service facility. I hope this information
> information helps.
> Warranty Agreement. All brands and names are trademarks of their
> respective companies.
> Original Message Follows:
> -------------------------
> Please provide me with the tracking information.
> Thanks,
> Kevin Riley
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Gateway Customer Service"
> To:
> Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 5:39 PM
> Subject: Service Shipment Confirmation # 2-2613065611
> We are pleased to inform you the following product has shipped from our
> service department: Product: Portable P170 Serial
> #:
> 1102142502 Shipping address: Account: 87161209 Riley, Kevin L
> 10303 Colonel Glenn Rd Ste 1B Little Rock, AR
> 72204-8146 USA If you have purchased Gateway Priority Access
> (http://www.support.gateway.com/support/gpa.asp), your product should
> arrive
> within the next business day. If you did not purchase this entitlement,
> you
> can expect your product to arrive within 2-3 business days. If you have
> not
> received your product within the expected time, please contact Customer
> Service to obtain tracking information by replying to this e-mail. Thank
> you
> for choosing Gateway! B) 2005 Gateway, Inc. All rights reserved. Gateway
> terms and conditions of sale apply. Gateway, Inc. is located at 7565
> Irvine
> Center Dr, Irvine, CA 92618-2930. Gateway's privacy policy can be found
> at
> www.gateway.com/about/legal/security.php.
 15th of Oct, 2008 by   Barbara Hinerman 0 Votes
My NEW laptop had problems right away so it was sent in to be fixed in Sept.I still do not have it.I was told I would have it back in 7-10 days.I called today and was on hold for 40 minutes at level 1.They could give me no information so they sent me to level 2 where I was on hold 45 minutes.They could not help either so they connected me to someone else where I was on hold another 30 minutes for them to tell me their computer was DOWN and to call back tomorrow. I ask them to please call me back OR email me and they said they could do neither. I feel my new computer which I had to save and save for is sitting around collecting dust..I do not think the Gateway name stands for anything anymore ans I will NEVER buy another one.They should be ashamed of themselves, Barbara Hinerman
 28th of Oct, 2008 by   Robert B 0 Votes
I got so tired of dealing with Gateway from hell, I turned the entire matter over to the Attorney General of California as well as Texas.
Sending in audio tapes of the conversations I had with Gateways customer no service and all my cell phone bills showing the hours upon hours upon hours of waiting on hold also seemed to help.
I think what will sink them is that you can clearly hear the reps of Gateway telling me lies about my computer repair. They lied about everything!!!
Everyone of the reps knew I was recording the conversations but they continued to lie and lie and lie. Good for me not so good for them.
Possible class action lawsuit against them pending
 20th of Nov, 2008 by   Mike L 0 Votes
My Gateway one, a $1800 all in one computer has given me nothing but problems. Its been sent in for repairs 3 times now. I did manage to find a new phone number directly to their repair warehouse (877-285-6043) after they took 2 months+ replacing a bad motherboard in it. Once i found this number i called them two weeks in a row and complained at them and i received my computer back shortly after that. Also remember is you purchased your computer with a Visa/ American Express card you can threaten them with a charge back/ complaint if you get really desperate.
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by   susan culligan 0 Votes
I have had similar problems with repair from Gateway. They have some of the worst customer service I have ever encountered. After spending hours on the phone with supervisors and customer service reps I filed complaints with the BBB of Ca and the Attorney Generals office. They have had our laptop for two months and just keep lying to us about its repair. I hope that there is a class action suit against this company sometime soon. Too many people have dealt with their fraudulent activity.
 8th of Dec, 2008 by   krikher 0 Votes
I am using Gateway Tablet PC, actually I was trying to use x 1 year. Vista is not friendly with my Electronical Medical Record program and I am loosing information, while Gateway answers me with the same automatic response that I read above. "Sorry for inconvenience" bla-bla-bla, we provide excellent technical support.
"We can not downgrade from Vista". One can downgrade from something good, working which is not the case.
When I was purchasing Tablet they suggested either or OS, now they can't downgrade a degenerate OS. Even for $$. And if I do myself they won't support.
Please, e-mail me when class action will be in power, I'll fly toiCa or Il or Tx and provide my own records and say a word about this lousy company, not standing for it's product, quality of which is a separate critical talk.
Without ability to run Elect Med Record this Tablet PC is a worthless junk of $ 200 value, while it costed over $ 1500.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   Sarah 0 Votes
I purchased a Gateway computer from Costco, it was a floor model. The salesman said we simply had to go in and restore it to factory settings and it would be just like brand new. As someone who has rebuilt many computers to make them like new, I knew what he said was true. I have never had a computer that could not very, very easily be restored to factory settings. As long as your not trying to recover data, and you are just trying to get it back to the way it was when you bought it. However, this is not true for Gateway. They said I would need to order and pay for a CD to do this. This of course after I spent almost 20 minutes saying, spelling, and repeating my name and address for the women with barely understandable English, and only briefly explaining my problem. I was told I would need to order a $21.00 CD to get excatly what I had just paid $699.00 for.
 26th of Jan, 2010 by   j lowder 0 Votes
How does gateway stay in business? I agree with all the above. Someone should look into a class action suit against gateway. They would definately have plenty of plantiffs.
 14th of Jul, 2010 by   Alex 0 Votes
I purchased a computer a couple of years ago. Need to reinstall OS. They diod not supply disks, which we are intitled to when purchasing their product. All I got from customer support was an apology. No disks available, no offer to repair.
 10th of Sep, 2010 by   Delbrisas 0 Votes
I have the same problems with gateway laptop. i wrote a letter to Gateway headquarters, complaining about their shoddy product they sold me and about their awefull customer service. A rep from gateway call to respond to my complaint. Now gateway is saying that out of all the 30 plus call that I made to their company, about the problems with my computer, the shipment that I sent in for repairs to THEIR repair center, my case #, plus the fraud # for the repair center 877-487-1150, that they have no record in their system. of me calling, of my case # or of me sending my laptop for repairs. Unbelievable.
 6th of Feb, 2013 by   garfield44 0 Votes

Plan Type: COMPUTERS
Reference Number: 351197397
Plan Number: 60538833299

Dismiss message

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
Your complaint has been assigned case # 19042922.
Correspondence regarding this complaint will be emailed to : garfield44@live.com
Please print a copy of this for your records.

Filed on : February 6 2013

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
702 SW 8th Street, M.S. 0705
Bentonville AR 72716-6209

Complaint Description:
OFFICE PRODUCTS*COMPUTER SYSTEM*EMACHINE*12P/12L Purchase Date: Sep 17, 2010, Purchase Price: 298.00 Model Number: EL1333G-03W, Serial Number: PTNBG020 Plan Type: COMPUTERS, Reference Number: 351197397 Plan Number: 60538833299 This is message I get when I check status is: We are processing the information you provided from your purchase receipt. Once we have matched it with our sales records, you can file a claim online. This could take up to three days. If you need immediate assistance with your product, please contact one of our Customer Care Representatives at 1-877-968-6391 for further assistance. The hard drive and dvd drive went out and I filed claim in June, July and August 2012 before it ran out in Sept 2012 and all I get is we need to get status of receipt. Paid $298 plus tax and extra for the Insurance now they do not want to fix it.
 6th of Feb, 2013 by   garfield44 0 Votes
Serial Number: PTNBG02002023054BF27
Plan Type: COMPUTERS
Reference Number: 351197397
Plan Number: 60538833299
Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
Your complaint has been assigned case # 19042922.
Please print a copy of this for your records.
on : February 6 2013
Filed against :
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
702 SW 8th Street, M.S. 0705
Bentonville AR 72716-6209
Complaint Description:
They took my money and now have hard drive and DVD drive crashed which was covered under wal mart product plan they refusing to pay or repair the computer. This makes gateway look bad because wal mart is selling extra warranties and collecting money for them and not honoring them.

How to Avoid Unwanted Immunization