Forever 21

Return Policy

Forever 21
McLean, Virginia
Yesterday I purchased several items at this store. I was in a rush and couldn't decide between three different belts to go with a dress I had at home and figured I could try them out and see which I liked best and then return the other two. I even mentioned this to the cashier, but it was only AFTER he had charged my credit card that he explained that Forever 21's return policy does not allow the items to be returned for cash or for the amount to be credited back to my card -- it's store credit only and just for 21 days. Never have I ever heard of such a policy outside of clearance sales, or stores going out of business. I even had the cashier repeat the policy to me because I thought I had misheard him. Nowhere in the store is it clearly posted that this is their policy and I thought it was quite convenient for it to be mentioned only after I had purchased the items. Today I called Forever 21's customer service line to lodge a complaint and was told after holding for 10 minutes that all complaints must be in writing via the website, where I am sure my complaint will be ignored. In exchange for my $30, Forever 21 has just guarenteed that I will never do business with them again and I will let all my friends know about this sneaky return policy.
Complaint comments Comments (43) Complaint country United States Complaint category Clothing, Shoes & Acc

8th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
After wearing a top once I washed and dried it, It shrunk to the point that I could not wear it. when I returned it to the store the manager, Cindy, at the Westfield mall told me that the return policy said the tags had to be on, and not worn or washed. I asked to exchange it for another top of the same type and she refused. Tags, off, worn, washed, no return. She was adamant. When I asked if she was willing to lose me as a customer she reiterated the policy. She stated she always line dries her clothes so hers don't shrink but this is not stated in the wash dry instructions. Forever 21 just lost a customer.
 8th of May, 2009 by    +2 Votes
are you serrious???? You cant wear something, wash it, dry it, and then expect someone to take it back. OMG. Even teenagers know this, thus the reason the 'tuck the tags' make sure not to get the item dirty and then take it back to get money back, or exchange. But serriously you shrunk the shirt, did you bother reading the tag, dry on low heat, lay flat to dry, maybe dryclean only??? You cant return it. Get a life.
 14th of May, 2009 by    +2 Votes
I'm agreeing with the last respondent on this one. Although I am an assoc. of Forever 21, I was never the kind of shopper like our customers are. I would never not check my receipt before trying to return something. Let alone wear something - with the tags off, wash it, and try to return it after I wasn't careful enough handling it. Whenever I buy something and it doesn't pass the laundry test I blame it on myself, NOT THE COMPANY. It's just common sense to me, as a consumer and not just a retail employee.
 14th of May, 2009 by    +2 Votes
I'm also so sick of people saying the company is losing a customer. I would never dream of going somewhere and making an ass out of myself by saying that. You MUST know that no one cares. Especially amidst a multi-million dollar company.
 15th of May, 2009 by    +1 Votes
LOL I love when customers say any company is losing a customer. When I was 16 I actually had the nerve to tell a customer YEAH THATS GOING TO LOSE US A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY.
What the person who is complaining bought one shirt??? OMG really, you dont make them that much money in the first place. It was your fault the shirt shrunk in the first place, if it really meant that much to you have you heard of a DRY CLEANER???? Give it a break really
 16th of May, 2009 by    +2 Votes
Since the shirt was probably no more than 20 dollars, you should have just bit the bullet and realized your mistake. Forever21 clothes are not well-made so they cant last in the dryer. I'm sure the washing instructions on the tag indicated that you could fluff-air or line-dry.

You have to be kidding to think any major store would take back a worn and washed item w/ no tags. Even if it wasn't shrunk, people generally wouldn't want to buy a used item. Go to plato's closet and hopefully you'll get 2 bucks.

Kudos to the store manager for not bending over backwards for your mistake, since it probably would have came out of her pocket to return it.
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
I had a similar experience - the shirt that I bought was DEFECTIVE -it had holes that were obviously from the material disintegrating and they would not let me return it - Even though they say this is their policy, I think it is unreasonable considering the fact they sell such poor quality clothing. Is that why they have this policy, I wonder?
 20th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Loie, if it had holes in it, why would you buy it?

To the OP, no store would let you return a worn, washed, and dried item of clothing.
 31st of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
If you want quality clothing, service, etc, be willing to spend a little more money. It is ridiculous that you would consider complaining about something your own fault. Forever21 offers lower quality merchandise to match the price they sell it for. There is no reason you should have expected the manager to return your worn and washed item for any reason.
 6th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
The point is people get mad at the company and take it out on people who work there who most likely are stuck in retail against their will. I was there for a year and 8 months, with a Bachelors of Science degree in Business on my resume, and I had people getting in my face 35 hrs a week because I was doing my job. And they couldn't make things either on us both by having some common sense and looking at the damn receipt before waltzing into the store like everything was gonna go their way. It's simple, when you make the decision that you don't like an item that you bought, you check your receipt for the return policy. The amount of grown women who can't do that is astronomical.
I'm not about fighting online but I'm tryin to un-confuse you when you say, "WHY would forever 21 make their products good quality, when they know they will not allow returns, so why not just make them shoddy for bigger profits?". Here's the cycle. the company does make "shoddy" items (the point you were making in the first place), which is why their pricing is so low(yes some items are just as much as something you might find at Penneys, but if you compared you would see they are more affordable still). In addition, not giving money back is also how the prices maintain a low. Giving a store credit for a piece of clothing that's being returned in recycling our money. And for the record, we're not dumb, we know the policy sucks, and I think you should know that associates aren't permitted any store credits or exchanges. So when you feel that you're "stuck" with an item, you have no idea what stuck means. The bottom line is that we're paid to stand our ground and follow the policy, and the stores themselves cannot do anything to change the policy. The ratio of customers that leave saying they'll never come back does not scare us, it doesn't effect us.
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
This just happened to me today as well. It was never posted that they would keep my money essentially giving them an interest free loan. It is common knowledge people lose or have stolen store gift cards not to mention some expire. Since there are no signs posted, this is theft. Why would I want to use the card now knowing what I know? I can't believe they haven't been sued. They are deceiving people who expect to conduct business under the normally accepted standards for the sale of American apparel and then entering them into lifetime contracts where they hold the borrowed monies indefinitely without consent or recourse. This is illegal, because companies have to say all sales are final when they sell that clearance merchandise, hence you see the sign before you buy it not on the receipt after you purchased it. They are not conducting business under the assumed and accepted standards as required by law.
 14th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
Oh my god, seriously? Im so sick of listening to people WHINE about the return policy, GET OVER IT.
 15th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
my pants are too big, bought less than a week ago. can I take them back for something smaller in the waist? I don't have a receipt or tags. They don't want a fatty reppin' their brand right? can I tell the clerk that I could look way better in my heritage '81s, so I need a better fit? and what if I wink a lot?
 19th of Jun, 2010 by    -1 Votes
ComplaintBoard (or the person commenting above me) obviously doesn't understand that Forever 21 is a PRIVATE company and can chose whatever kind of return/exchange policy it likes. Yes, the store policy sucks, I know. But that's what it is. And to A.Jane, you should have complained to the manager if the cashier really only explained this to you AFTER charging your card.

I work for Forever 21 (UNFORTUNATELY), but I'm really tired of people complaining about the return policy. The majority of the people who are complaining about it are people who frequently shop there. All Forever 21 stores that I've been to not only have signs in front of each register explaining the policy, but the cashier also explains the policy to you AND it is printed on the receipt. I had lady come in today and complain that there was hole a dress she just bought and wanted to return it for cash back. I explained our policy to her and she grumbled about it but exchanged the dress anyway. Less than hour later she came back to my register and bought almost $100 worth of stuff. Explain that to me.

Here is something that I've learned to do before I buy anything at ANY store I'm unfamiliar with - ASK WHAT THE RETURN POLICY IS BEFORE YOU BUY. That way, if you don't like the policy, you don't shop there. Simple. A lot of stores like Forever 21 have identical policies and if you don't take the time to learn what they are, it's partly your fault if you're now out x amount of dollars.
 9th of Aug, 2010 by    +3 Votes
How is it fair that you take their item they could have sold to someone who actually wanted it?
I know, your world is a big fashion venue and you can take and return things as you please and damn anyone you may inconvenience but perhaps you were venturing into the real world where you can't just be an entitled bitch and the world doesn't start and stop on your whim.
 17th of Feb, 2011 by    +3 Votes
This is why you should always ask about the return policy before shopping anywhere. Don't assume that everyone is the same. An you CAN get a refund from Forever 21, but you have to fill out a form and wait for a check to arrive.
 21st of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Purchased several items from forever 21 March 19, 2011 went to return them March 20, 2011 only to find out that I couldn't! I never want t shop at a store where I cant return the mechandise and not get my money back! Thats a recipe for disaster. That makes me feel as if your product isnt worthy and your aware it wont hold up! I was the last customer in the store; the only item the sales rep told me I could not return was a pair of ear rings and a shirt that was on sale. She never mentioned to me that I couldnt return. So on the the 20th when I went to return the items the manager goes well even though she admitted she didnt tell you, you couldn't get your money back the company will still argue that its on your reciept! UGH YEAH AFTER YOUR FREAKING PURCHASE THE ITEMS! THIS IS A SCAM!!! I WILL NEVER SHOP AT FOREVER 21 AGAIN! I WILL SPEND MY MONEY ELSEWHERE!
 25th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
They tell everyone that sale items and jewelry are not returnable, and it says so on your receipt. And on the website. It's not a scam.
 26th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Why the hell should you care Stealth? You seem to have something to say about everything (wink).
This is what I have to say though:
My name is John Wright AND I AM FIGHTING BACK!
John Wright
 26th of Mar, 2011 by    -1 Votes
So crude! (lol) You are disgusting, but I guess if you look the way you sound, it probably does not matter what you say. I do not have to make you miserable, because you already are.
For the record, I think I told you that sometimes it is me responding on my account, while other times it is my blogger hit team members using my account. However, I have penciled you in (wink). You see, unlike you, I actually have a reason to be here :)
No matter how much you try, you will never be a man. Just one ugly yard thing :)
You have had 36 hours of being fat and ugly (lol)
John Wright