logo

Gavel & Gown Software
Amicus Attorney
2. (23 mins ago)
buyforsalecheap.com
Shop didn’t work and no order as well
3. (57 mins ago)
Seven shine cleaning services
Groupon vouchers
4. (58 mins ago)
Award Notification Commission
letter stating has won prize
5. (59 mins ago)
Enterprise
paid toll is charged by Enterprise again!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Express Clothing Company Complaints & Reviews - Disrespectful, egotistic, worsome, hypocritical managers

Express Clothing Company Contacts & Informations

Express Clothing Company

Posted:    anonymous

Disrespectful, egotistic, worsome, hypocritical managers

Three out of four managers at the Express Clothing Store at MacArthur Mall are the worst. They harass the sales associates about harassing the customers about applying for credit cards when not every customer wants to be tied back to a store. One manager, is also disrespectful of an associates hours when I distintly heard that she had to leave when her shift was over. Instead he contributed to prolonging the closing process and told the associate that she can leave when he is finished. There was no way in leaving, because when the mall closes for customers, the associates are locked into the store straightening while the manager is making phone calls. Another manager, gets mad when an associate receives once to twice a week visitors in the store when the business is slow those days. Also, the managers are hypocrites on training. They give negatives marks for an associate not using something they have not even been trained to use. Something needs to be done before the company gets sued for having disrespectful, egotistic, worsome, hypocritical managers.
Comments United States Clothing, Shoes & Acc
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Jan, 2008 by   Allison Whaley +1 Votes
My complaint is a bit different but I am not suprised at all by the first complaint. Sales associates who work at Express usually are a little egotistical but, I have had a good amount of nice employees helping me. I just wanted to rant a little about how you can't order clothes from Express on-line nor over the phone. What gives? I don't have an Express in my town and I work full time so it is hard to find time to shop. I usually do my buying over the internet. These days almost EVERYONE buys over the internet. I wish these people would give in to technology and just do this favor for those who cannot always make a special trip to the store when in need of something to wear. ANOTHER reason they need to do this is because I myself wear longs in pants and it always seems like they are out of stock. How much easier would it be to just let people order from home???? GAH
 13th of Jun, 2008 by   Imraan +1 Votes
I am shocked by the lies and distortion schemes this company is using to cheat customers out of money.I have completely paid off my express card and called to cancel but somehow they put $ 10.00 on it altough I never used it and now that 10 has become 21.25 because they are charging me more than 50% interest on it.I have called repeatedly and told them but they keep sending me a bill with the interest going up every month.I will take it up with the authorities.Did any one else have a similar experience with this company.
 14th of Jun, 2008 by   Jen +1 Votes
I agree with Allison about the whole not-being -able -to -order -online thing. I think at this point in time, every store has that option. You'd think Express would want to keep up! It's very annoying. I just recently went to buy a specific shirt and of course they didnt have my size or a color I wanted...and usually I go online to check that out. Can't do that with them!
 15th of Jun, 2008 by   Ed +1 Votes
I've never been so angry towards any store like today at Express. They had advertised buy 2 polos and get them for $24.50 each, instead of $34.50. Which sounded like a good deal. I went to the store because I received a coupon for spend $70 or more and get $25 off. Since I did not have enough, I was going to buy a pair of shorts for my niece for $44.50. This made it well above the $70. Well they rang me up, and it came to $95.80, and I left the store. After I walked out the door, I began to think, that $95.80 is a little too much, so I looked at the receipt, and sure enough, they had charged me full price for the 2 shirts. I was not surprised, because this is not the first time that they advertise a price, and then somehow their registers won't ring it up right. So I went back to the store, waited in line, and explained to the cashier, that they had advertise, buy 2 for $24.50, and they had charge me full price. So after going around for her for a while, she finally agreed that I was right. So she proceeded to start my refund, and when she gives me the ticket, it's only for $16.89. I explain to her, that the amount is a little too, and it should be more like $20. She says no, and I explain to her again, and again, finally someone else comes over, and the same thing. I'm the one that's wrong, finally they go get a manager, and she tells me that they are correct, and we go around and around for a while. She finally says to the cashier, "Just ring everything up again, because they're just not going to get it" I went off, and told her I know how to do basic math:
Wrong price Shirt- $34.50 Correct price $24.50
Shirt- $34.50 $24.50
Shorts-$44.50 $44.50
$113.50 - $25(coupon) =$88.50 $93.50 - $25(coupon)= $68.50
plus 8.25% tax ($7.30)=$95.80 plus 8.25% tax ($5.65)=$74.15

Total difference $21.65 not $16.89.
What really got me is the managers comment, like I was stupid or something. So when the cashier tried to give my coupon back to use again, I said " I don't need it, because I will not be shopping here anymore". Trust me, I've spent over $5, 000 in that store in the last few months, for my new job. Their loss, not mine.
 21st of Apr, 2009 by   shopper +1 Votes
I have to agree that their customer service is not the great reason why I closed my account with them, the managers are never nice and when you tried to talk to them they act like you owe them something I never had a good experience with Express and that is why I decided not to shop there anynore... they are the worst
their clothes are over prices and they are not all that you get better quality for less price and better customer service
 18th of May, 2009 by   Melanie24 +1 Votes
My husband and I opened an account with Express about 6 months ago. I try to pay over the internet but my payment is always sent back from the bank. Then, they won't let me pay over the internet, so I have to pay over the phone. I have toddler twins so, it's hard to get out and pay at the store. When I pay over the phone, they charge me an 10 dollar processing fee. This has been going on for 6 months. Now, they have our card on hold. We always have money in the bank so I wonder why would they not accept our payment by the internet but rather by the phone with a fee?? We decided to pay the card off in full and cancel it. This company is taking advantage of people and it's very wrong. We have been shopping there for 10 years and we aren't going back. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
 9th of Jun, 2009 by   NotSoHappy +1 Votes
I have recently left the company because I feel that all of the above is true. Not only have I read several other message boards dedicated to how over-priced it is, but that the management is terrible. I would never buy their clothes if it wasn't for the extra discount (only given once a month). It really stinks because I'd hate to think that I was one of those rude managers but at least I can say first hand - it ain't easy. I was forced to manipulate customers into buying more based on the promotions in order to make our daily plan. On top of that I was told to threaten the sales associates that if they didn't get credit cards they would get crappy shifts and less hours. On top of THAT I was held responsible for staying over payroll to straighten the store. Imagine 2 young lazy associates trying to refold an entire store, clean every window and mirror, vacuum, dust, mop, etc in 2 hours. Then I would get berated for leaving on time if the store wasn't perfect. Trust me - the associates and managers don't want to be there as much as the customers. I remember watching the people walk through the mall freely, feeling the anger build up inside like I was trapped in a cage of constant pressure, snobby wanna-be fashionistas, trying desperately to refold as much as possible before close. The clothes are ugly, cheap, and the management ride a very unrealistic high-horse.
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   Sweetiger +1 Votes
They have very bad customer services at Express customer service number as the matter fact there is no customer service but their recording machine with very few options or repeat the recording machine. Only choice is pay online or check in mail, buy very few credit card will accept unless pay with check in mail. Not worth using their credit card no matter what you think. Not worth the hassle!
 1st of Sep, 2009 by   HSS +1 Votes
A friend shopped at Express on Monday, Aug. 31. She noticed a shoplifter stuffing shirts down into her pants. She alerted the clerks and was told they would not approacher the woman because of a possible lawsuit. The same shoplifter had been in the day before doing the same thing. The employees were aware of it the day before also. So now when I shop I will have to pay the high prices to compensate for shoplifters who are not stopped!!! Or should I just start shoplifting. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the high prices of any of your products.
 16th of Sep, 2009 by   tnkg1rl +1 Votes
I placed an order online, payed the extra to get it in two days. It's been 3 days since I ordered it and still haven't recieved it yet. It's my fault I waited until the last minute, but I needed this outfit for an event. so I call customer service and he says well it's not like it's a week late. I said well I wouldn't have paid extra if I was going to get it in 5-7 business days.
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   most displeased +1 Votes
My son took out a credit card at Express when he made a purchase. He did receive a card, but we didn't hear from them for two months. Finally, in one day, we got three calls from credit agencies and when we called to find out what was going on, the Customer Service person said they had sent two bills by email and there had been no payment. I asked him what the email was because I was then looking at the email account to see if the billing was there. It was not! When I told him it was not received at this email, he did admit that the email address was different, but that the extra money was owed. I said how can you add extra charges when the billing was sent to the wrong place. He said he would take off the $20 charge for past due. When I said I would pay it over the phone, he said how would we pay it and I told him my credit card. The response was "There will be a $10 charge". I told him to close the account and my son would go to the store and pay the bill. I hope after reading the above notes that we will not hear from Express again, but I fear we will. This is a company whose policies are taking advantage of people and, of course, the youngers ones are just getting their credit records established. We pay our bills, but this situation is impossible. Something really needs to be done about this. If we receive more contact from Express the Attorney General will hear about it.
 16th of Oct, 2009 by   UpTownDogg +1 Votes
I am really not going to defend a company that I really don't like very much. About 2-3 months ago I lost my job and was well pretty much willing to accept anything. Next thing you know is I am working at Express. I was one of those floor Ass. and I find things pretty sad. I never stepped foot in that store before I handed in the application. People ask me for advice, and to be honest I don't know anything about fashion, i don't even know why they hired me since I totally don't fit in at that store. There is 8 males employees and I am the only strait one. Express states they are soo strict on conduct, trust me I hear more gay jokes than I could count or even care to hear. None the less, I feel bad for many people who work there, the holiday season of 2009 is coming up and they are hiring the seasonal help. I understand that, but they are killing the hours of the people are supposed to be sticking around after, Like 1 girl was only working 13 hrs this week when they called and cut her off for Friday, so now she has a whopping 8 hrs this week. Also, as stated before the stupid credit card bit is really annoying, 2 weeks ago a letter is posted in the main hallway for employees saying you need to get atleast 1 credit card per shift or they are cutting your hours, I figured they couldn't cut much out of 16.5 hrs a week I was getting. So, I decided to screw the cards and didn't get any, while the girl stated above did 9 in 4 shifts and it shows her great hrs. I got 0 cards in 3 shifts. They now pushed me to Inventory ( I Love it, You can dress however you want and listen to an mp3 player) My sched for this week and next week is 40+ hrs. I guess me getting the 0 cards really paid off for me. I just don't recommend working there, go to Target they even pay better, so what that you don't get your 30% and add. 15% 1x a month.
 16th of Oct, 2009 by   Arianna827 +1 Votes
I had a short stinct working for Express this past summer and let me just say, it's the worst job I ever had in my life. I've worked retail before, among other jobs, but this one really took the cake. They never went out of their way to make me feel comfortable as a new employee and they were downright bitchy and mean (I even heard them talking about me on several occasions, and it was only my first week)!! Not only did they barely give me any hours unless I practically begged for them, there was one occasion where they put me on the schedule for 7am when the mall doesn't even open until 10am!! I'm certainly not a lazy person, I used to work the 6am to 2pm shift at JcPenneys with no problem, but Express would jump around. One night I'd be working 5:30pm to 10:30pm and the next day they'd put me on at like 8am and think nothing of it. They don't care about the well being of their employees and they just want to sell, sell, sell... credit cards, etc. Also, their sweaters are terrible now!! I kept waiting for their Fall line of clothing to come in and everything just seems so flimsy and thin! I live in New York, not California, and I don't know how they expect people to wear this stuff in the kind of conditions we have up here. No amount of layering could help me! I also regret signing up for their credit card and being suckered into it... I just hated the whole experience... pushy and horrible. They even told me to flirt with the guys to make sales! What kind of a place is this?
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by   Sharron Williams +1 Votes
I am Shocked to be Reading any of this!!
I live in MIAMI, Florida and Shop at the store in DOLPHIN MALL. Let me say that every time i walk in to that store the employees there no matter if they know me from before or not make me feel special!
they are not pushy or anything of that sort. however i have opened the EXPRESS CARD and i have become a loyal customer of this brand because of the magnificent customer service that is offered.

I think every store is different. and I am sure that they all do not offer the same experience i receive at this location. For example the store across the street from this one i visit when i dont find a certain item in stock at the other and i walk in and walk out without even being acknowledged! Needless to say I dont think anyone there can speak English.

All this ties down to the Managers and how they run the store. But Overall i think EXPRESS's Vision is to Protect their customers to the fullest Extent! And their Customer Relations Over the phone service is magnificent! They have helped me even retrieve a Lost receipt so that i can make a return and have been able to help me out with a gift card i had lost. Many places you loose your gift card and you are S.O.L. (Sh*t Out of Luck)

=)
 16th of Sep, 2010 by   blossom123 +1 Votes
I went to the Express store in Novi, MI today because the shirt my mom got for my dad still had a security tag on. She actually took it back to Japan and we didn't realize that the tag was still on until a month ago. Of course it has been like 3 months since she got that shirt and didn't have a recipt for it any more.

Once I got to the store, there were nobody at the register and I could not find anybody working there. I heard a voice from the fitting room and I went over there and found a lady (looks like a manager) talking on the phone and sounded like she was talking to her friend. She was like "go ahead and try it on" and kept talking on the phone. I waited until she was done with her call and told her that the shirt stiill has the security tag on. She asked me if I have the recipt for and I said No because it was 3 months ago.

She did not want to take the security tag off because I did not have the recipt with me and she was not sure if I bought it or not. I was super pissed because it is NOT my fault that the security tag was on and my dad could not wear that shirt right away. And I finally got her removed the tag out and she said "here you go" and threw the shirt at me! WHAT A BITCH!

I really like Express clothes, but after that I would never wanna go back there and shop! And this is not my first time realizing that they forgot to remove the tag out. What kind of dumb employees do they hire? Is it THAT hard to check if the shirt still has the tag on or not!?
 4th of Mar, 2011 by   ReasonablePerson +1 Votes
This company has major problems! They now have online "shopping", but have a limit of no more than 20 items in the cart or you can't complete your transaction -- which of course you have no way of knowing until you have spent an hour shopping. Their solution is to delete items, then go back and place another order. Seriously? What retail sales company would want to limit sales?! I order online because it is less hassle, but Express gives a whole new meaning to the word "hassle". However, the biggest problem is that less than half of the "buy 1 get one 50% off" items actually reflect that price when you purchase. This is absolute fraud and deceptive advertising. You must call to get the accurate pricing, however, your order may not be processed for hours, so you have to keep calling. They must make a killing on people who overbuy because they think they are getting a better deal, but actually are not and don't notice or have the persistence to keep calling. Total scam.
 4th of Mar, 2011 by   ReasonablePerson +1 Votes
I really don't know why no one has brought a class action lawsuit against Express. I am certain that an audit would show hundreds of thousands in over charging consumers.
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   CharlesWhite123 +1 Votes
Today, I went to hand in my employment application towards the Express Store in Stonestown Galleria in San Francisco. The associate I first saw was nice and friendly but after I told her that I was here to turn in my employment application, her face changed. Then she contacted the manager and pointed at the manager so I can turn it into her directly. The manager was young and around my age. She looked intimidated by me, perhaps it's because I'm a workaholic and feared that I might take hours away from hers or even take her spot. Regardless, she wasn't friendly because she kept pestering me for references which I included with my resume and statement letter as to why I should be hired.

I bet anyone $100 that I won't get called back because the managers at Express are mostly women (no offense) and have serious ego and hormone issues. I stated in my app. that I can work any position and any hours. The store's going down in flames!
 16th of Apr, 2011 by   TheAruna +2 Votes
I used to work at Express, and there was already a Class Action Lawsuit filed against them while I was employed.

The store that I worked at in Woodfield Mall used to require their associates to wear "head to toe current season Express Fashion" to work. Associates from stores in Illinois and two other states sued them for reducing the paychecks to below minimum wage by forcing us to buy their clothes. EXPRESS denied that they ever required this, even though I saw them enforce it. I heard them impose this policy at meetings. I saw managers send employees home - myself included - for not being in the newest EXPRESS clothing, and I saw managers demand employes to buy an outfit on the spot if they arrived wearing merch that was not current enough.

The case was quietly settled out of court, and we received an EXPRESS gift card of $475.00, which could not be used with our employee discount.

Later, a snooty manager I worked with smugly told me that the dress code was never a corporate policy, and that the Woodfield store made it their own policy and enforced.
 21st of Apr, 2011 by   bchanel +1 Votes
After reading this I see I am not alone in people that have some SERIOUS issues with the Express clothing company .Especially there darn credit card customer service represenatives. I thought I paid off my complete credit card bill in Feb. however, I put in a wrong number for my Visa account and the payment did not go thru. I was unaware of this and assumed that my bill was paid and everything was ok. I find out two months later to my surprise about the wrong account info thru a very irate phone conversation. I mean seriously they called my phone 100 times while I was at work. Thinking this was only a minor error I asked for the late fee to be removed and they refused to do this ; and dealt with my situatuion in a very rude and unpleasant manner. In fact they even charged me an addidtional 10$ fee to process my payment since they suspended my account on line. ( all together 40$ extra) They were beyond rude to me and made me so mad that I decided to just close the account forever.

This minor situatuion put a very bad taste in my mouth about the Express store and I might be done shopping with them for a while.

Swine Flu Vaccine Scam