logo

Europcar St. Maarten

Posted:    Moondog46

rental car scam

Wallkill, New York
My specific problem was a passenger door lock scam that was neatly played by the boss/manager of the day. The girl who had checked my car out three weeks before just sat there and I believe is fully in on this scam. The manager came directly out, saw no dents or other marks on the body and then walked over to the passenger door lock and tried to lock it with the key. He did not try any other lock. It would not lock and he claimed that it was damaged when I had the car. It had not been checked by agent before we took the car and not marked on my rental car sheet as being defective. The door worked fine and the doors all locked with the key using the driver's side lock, which as the only driver I used every time. The car was at Oyster Bay Beach Resort the whole time, except for our few trips out when nothing had ever been left in the car and no one ever seems to have been near it. This was so well played that I am sure it was done on that vehicle many times before and will continue to be done in the future. The car was a white I 10, license # R 1041. I would be interested if anyone else had this happen to them at Europcar and especially with the same car.
Comments United States Car Rental
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Aug, 2011 by   Jan P. 0 Votes
We rented a car there for a week over Eastern 2011 and the experience was very bad. The car was old and scrappy and they made us pay 150€ extra for a "compulsory insurance" that was never mentioned in the booking confirmation from their website. Comment: "We don't care what the Europcar Computer says..."
When we refused to pay they used the pre-signed authorization and charged my credit card anyway. Very disappointing and not at all recommendable. There are lots of others - book your car there.

Jan
 30th of Nov, 2012 by   trips3 0 Votes
I was just in St. Maarten, rented a White I10 from Europcar for 1 week, (I think the license plate was 2531), and I noticed that the key did not work in the passenger door. Other than the fact that I could never open the door for my wife, I didn't really care, and just always locked/unlocked the door from the driver side. I never mentioned it and I wasn't charged extra for damages either. I'm just mentioning it since apparently it might have been used in the past as a scam. I wonder if it is normal, or at least common for the keys to only work in the driver side. (Maybe this happens when someone loses the key and they only bother to replace one lock.)

Also, I reserved my car on Orbitz and it was $10/day + taxes which came to $120 total for the week. When I got there, they had a sign explaining there is compulsory insurance. There were 3 different levels of insurance, and the one we were forced to purchase was the cheapest at $8/day. I still don't know if I was scammed or not, but at $18/day I didn't care too much, since it was still pretty reasonable. Though I did ask for the final price, and was told something like $250. After I questioned that, and explained I was expecting 120 + 8*7 = approximately $176, they then told me with tax it would be around $185, which I agreed to. One annoying thing was the preauth on the CC was $800. But after I returned the car, they charged just the $185 and the auth was removed.
 4th of Jul, 2013 by   AminaM 0 Votes
Just had the same problem with the same car!! We rented this Hyundai from Europcar for 10 days and just have it back to Safari car rental as Europcar's desk was closed at 6am. Already weird... The guy from safari told us the passenger door key was broken and didn't work. When we took the car 10 days before, this hasn't been checked.
The rental car mentions a non-defective key and handle and I agree. My handle was working on the driver's side but not all the handleS plural. The nug wrench was missing but we never checked it with the guy from Europcar. Of course he had me sign that everything was in order. Why would I steal a nug wrench? Although it can be useful ;) I am so furious. Another tourist who was giving back her rental car told us it already happened to her on a previous trip (still Europcar) and they tried to play this scam on her again when she rented this car. So sketchy. I filled an incident report . How did it all end up for you guys? Was any extra money charged on your card? I am so furious.
 22nd of Jul, 2013 by   Disappointed7/2013 0 Votes
I reserved a car online from Europcar and thought that I was going to get a corrolla or similar for $20 per day. Upon arrival in St Maarten, I was driven to the office and was told that they didn't have any corrollas and was offered a yaris. I made it very clear that was a rip off being that a yaris is smaller than corrolla. I was offered a Nissan almeda which in my eyesis similar to a corrolla but it would be $30 per day. The representative that we dealt with was extremely rude and i was turned off by his attitude. Being that it was late, i ended up taking the car. He told me that the yaris was a 2012 however, I later found out that it was a 2010. Do not rent with this company, hertz and thrifty are highly regarded on the island.

Taking the Bite Out of Dental Bills