Posted:

Esurance - is a rip-off insurance company!

4.3
Senior Esurance employees scan the internet for negative comments about "their" company. These as usually full-blown zealots that will tell the public anything to protect Esurance.

I know this because I use to sit by three different zealots in the 2 years I was there. Allow me to run the scam outline by you again and explain. You take out an Esurance policy. You're required to present proof of prior insurance to Esurance - so you send it. But alas... your proof of prior insurance doesn't get processed. So the company computer rerates you for a higher amount. (The amount assessed for someone who has no history of prior insurance). And then the computer takes out a huge amount from your account to make up the difference for the rerate. You find out from your bank or cc company that a huge amount was taken from your account, and you hit the ceiling. You then call in very mad.

Is this illegal? No... but just barely. Because if you're aware that the money was taken out of your account, and you're willing to call in - Esurance might take care of the problem. Keep in mind that a significant percentage of people won't notice or call in, or want to fight it, so Esurance keeps the extra money after the rerate. (Which is a lot - taken times the total number of customers that don't call). So even if you should make the call to customer service. They tell you that the Processing Dept. checks Proof of Prior Insurance emails and letters in the order they're received, and they'll notify you when the correction is made. During the same time YOUR background can be further investigated to see if you have any speeding tickets, accidents, etc. that could lead to a justified increase. (So they can keep part the money taken from your account the second time). These games go on and on. All legal - but not the way I would want to treat people.

Then there's the issue of fees. The fees are outrageous, and the system programmers have found cleaver ways of making the fees, and other , less obvious to find for people that aren't very observant.

Want to hear more stories? Let me cut to the chase. Don't give Esurance your card number. Go elsewhere. Because if you don't. I'll be here to say - I told you.
Complaint comments Comments (16) Complaint country United States Complaint category Auto Insurance & Loan

Comments

11th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I agree esurance and esurance.com should be sued for bait and switch tactics.

Esurance.com is a complete ripoff. I got a quote online and reported all my tickets - (2) to be exact. After I got a quote of about 1500 a year and they charged my card for the initial down payment, they emailed me after the cancellation grace period with a rate of $4000 a year! More than double the intimal quote and $2000 /year more than the policy I had just cancelled since I got their initial quote.

I called them several times and they could not figure out why this happened and they admitted that they had a system (website) glitch. I asked for an immediate refund and some sort of compensation since I had already cancelled my other policy with progressive and they said that it takes 10 days to get a refund and did not even apologize for the trouble I went through.

What a sneaky company. Avoid at all cost. I suggest progressive or all state.
 20th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have had insurances for a little over 2 years not. I did not pay what was due a few months ago and was canceled. Since then I had 1 ticket. I went back to insurances after 20 days or so of having no coverage to buy a new policy. I was also told to send proof of prior insurance, and it was taken care of just fine. I was told ahead of time that if I did not, My 6 month policy would go up $40. I have had to file a claim, no problem. Been late more then not, no problem. Customer service is awesome. I think that just because you had a problem doesn't mean everyone else who has them will too. And by working there, all you did was tell everyone what ALL insurance companies do. No one like losing money, not even the big guys. You took it WAY out of context. I know this because my father was in the insurance business for 20 some odd years.
 7th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
That's not bait and switch, idiot. Bait and switch is luring someone into your business because you have a sale, and convincing/manipulating the customer into buying something else.

You're asked before purchase to disclose your prior insurance information as well as your accident history, so as long as you provide that information and it matches, you should be fine. Even if there was a change in premium, it shouldn't be large. Mine actually went down because I disclosed a ticket that had recently fallen off, and they applied the credit to the next payment.

It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about, just a disgruntled employee. All insurance companies do that.
 11th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
I'm not sure you know the meaning of the word zealot.

What's so bad about Esurance employees/management searching the internet for customer opinions? It beats phone surveys.

Geico does that with prior insurance, too, as does Viking, my old, smaller insurance company. I thought it was normal.
 10th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
I absolutely hate Esurance. I speak from the other side's perspective in that Esurance is not my insurance company but the person who hit me uses Esurance. I have been in limbo with them for over 3 months and the damage is not even that bad. I have had my car in the shop for 3 weeks even though it's been finished after three days. The rental company that they go through called me, not Esurance, but the rental company, to tell met that Esurance wasn't going to pay for my rental anymore even though the reason why I still have a rental is because Esurance has been taking forever to pay the supplement for the damages. They are rude and inconsiderate. I shouldn't have to go through all of this trouble and the accident was not my fault. They have the nerve to blame the repair shop because they only accept tangible forms of payment (not fax) and even suggested that I ask the repair shop to pay for a rental car until Esurance pays the supplement. Does this make sense to you because it doesn't to me? Please never get in any kind of dealing with Esurance!
 30th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
Esurance is another insurance scam company my daughter has them she was rear ended put in hospital car is totaled.
this was Aug.24 2009 after 40 plus phone calls dozens of emails no help car had full coverage . Seven different people have been her agent handling accident they deduct her fee's from account she had no points or bad driving history. She has to get a lawyer they are saying she is not filling out forms sent in the mail. No forms have come in the mail but they will not email forms
Poor poor company stay away from them . If you buy a product like car insurance on line you are likely going to get taken. My company New Jersey Manufactors does everything it is a non profit so rates are inexpensive and service is great. Only had to use them once 28 years ago. Also get a refund check every year. Im going to call congressman and better business let them know what scam artists these bafoon robbers are.
 21st of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes

Esurance - Terrible experience
esurance.com

Esurants ads are popping up on my computer every time I turn it on. Even with spyware, adware, and anti-virus the ads keep popping up and interfering with my work.

I sent an e-mail to the company to complain, but received no answer.
 6th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes

Esurance - Overcharge
esurance.com

I called today to cancel with Esurance today, because another company's rate was half of theirs and they told me that they were canceling my policy, but that they would charge me extra $50, just because they could. Never did I agree to this. This is one of the sleaziest insurance companies in existence.
 15th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I can't even begin to explain the ignorance and how crooked this company was with me. I have insurance now that is one third the price they were charging.
 11th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I thin esurance is the worst auto insurance company that I have ever dealt with and would not recommend them to my worse enemy.
 31st of May, 2011 by    0 Votes

Esurance - Commercial has no diversity
ESURANCE

I've seen many esurance commercials and they all are portrayed by blue eyed white actors. you apparently don't want business from blacks or other ethnic groups.
 13th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I noticed this too. Even the animated mascots were homogenous.
 21st of Dec, 2013 by    0 Votes
I've been a customer of esurance for like 3 years, so I never expected to be treated this way. Whatever happened to the old adage "the customer is always right?"

Anyways, I've been thinking about switching auto insurers for a while now do to rate hikes.

My premiums kept going up, so I called a esurance agent up to complain. after telling him that I got cheaper rates (nearly twice as cheap) from autoinsuranceape.com and said I was thinking about leaving esurance, the agent THREATENED TO SUE ME if I cancelled my GEICO policy. wtf?
 10th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
Esurance is a joke. Theres a reason they are FORCED to do business only online. If they had actual representatives and stores they would be shut down and/or forced out of ang decent community. Your 1st sign shouldve been the stupid commericals that have nothing to do with car insurance. When you have a silly little cartoon, or some moron voice over talking about time machines, instead of how they actually save money or offer better services...you almost have to blame yourself for falling for it...or not doing even the smallest bit of research on a company that could quite literally hold your life in their hands. Thats like buying food off of some guy on the highway, you dont know him, have no info of the food quality, and yet to save 3 bucks you risk food poisoning or worse? Heres a little hint cheap skates...its not always the best idea to save a couple dollars. I wouldnt get esurance if it was a HUGE savings. They'll tell you idiots who dont know better youre saving money...while all us smart people who either have common sense or college degrees go to farm bureau, farmers, or even geico. Next time...spend the 15 minutes you will eventually spend complaining on complaint boards...to spend the minimal amount of time researching a company BEFORE you spend a large portion of money on them...with your health and safety at risk. Im sorry to those of you who are probably good people who just got screwed by a greedy corporation...but sadly youre the type of person that keeps these scam artists in business. You hear the word "save money" and you go nuts. You wanna run to people you know and tell them what a swell deal you got...and how u saved 3 bucks a year! Only go find out when something bad happens you have "cut rate insurance"...which is so ironic because esurance actually uses this very term in some of their ads! Yet as you will attest...its true. I wouldnt blame u folks as much if it were 1930...but with access to thr internet, how could u possibly invest so much money, health/safety of both you and your family...on a company you know nothing about and didnt spend even 15 min. Researching? So...honestly...is that esurance fault...or your OWN for being cheap skates with your family's health and safety...to save a dollar or two a month? Sure I could go eat McDonald's every nite, and serve that to my kids, watch everyone in my family get fat and watch our health degrade to save myself the trouble of going shopping and cooking non-processed foods...but again in the long run...u will pay. Heres the moral of the story folks. A) do 15 min of research BEFORE betting your family's life, safety, and health on a company B) quit falling for the "we can save u money" ads that clearly are cheaper ONLY because they have ripped people off, and/or offer vastly inferior service(s) C) spend the time u eventually spend complaining, looking up information on the company u blame for your own laziness. There's a reason other countries call America the laziest nation in history.
 18th of Nov, 2014 by    0 Votes
After seven months of paying on renters and auto insurance, I received an email from Esurance that they cannot and will not be honoring my renters insurance because my home is "manufactured" but is on a permanent foundation. Did they not listen or read when the application and original purchase of this insurance was made????? I have given them 15 days to return ALL the funds they collected on this renters insurance and will be filing a complaint against them with the Ohio insurance commission. I then plan to take them to small claims court for taking money on services NOT RENDERED. I have had it with companies who do not do as they promise or state. Enough already. They have ten days left. After that, they go to court.
 28th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
On January 1st of this year, while traveling on Pacific Ave between Forest Grove and Cornelius, a driver entered the highway from a driveway on the north side of the road, entered the center divider while speeding up, and pulled into my vehicle. It happened fast enough that I did not have time to react to avoid the collision. We both pulled to the right shoulder of the road immediately to exchange personal and insurance information. He told me that he didn’t see my vehicle as he sped up to merge. I asked how he couldn’t see a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that has automatic daytime running lights, to which he simply stated again that he did not see my vehicle. Based on the other driver’s insistence that he would insure his insurance company would cover all repairs and his pleading that I not let the police sort the accident out, I felt it best to immediately contact the police and report the accident.
When the police arrived, he and I both provided a statement (police report is attached). The investigation seemed to take longer than I thought it would. It turns out the reason for the length of the investigation is that his Washington driver’s license came back as being suspended, so he was going to be cited for the accident. Though there was evident body damage, my vehicle seemed to be in good working order, so after the police left, I continued driving the vehicle. I was a little rattled by the suddenness of the accident, so I decided to go find a parking lot and park for a bit to settle down. I also decided that I would forgo the errands I had intended and try to make a little money driving for UBER.
Immediately upon returning home that evening I completed an accident report for Oregon DMV, and filed a claim online with my insurance company (Esurance). I received an email on January 2nd from Esurance informing me of the claim number and adjuster assigned to the claim. On January 4th, I received a letter concerning what would be my responsibilities during the claim process. On January 5th, I emailed Ms. Sobieck a copy of the accident report completed by the police at the scene of the accident. On January 7th, I went to the Forest Grove Police Department to get a copy of the police report submitted for the accident (attached).
On or about January 6th, I was informed by Ms. Sobieck that Viking Insurance, the insurer of the other driver, had reached a decision that they would assume 85% of the liability, leaving me to cover the remaining 15% of the costs of repair. She recommended that I take the offer, and they would attempt to recover the remaining costs during arbitration. I called the adjuster for Viking Insurance, Ms. Corinne Hashenberger, to find out why they were trying to force me to accept any responsibility for the accident. She told me that they determined, based on their insured’s statement that he was doing 10 mph while merging, that I “made an insufficient effort to avoid the accident.” I told her that I had clearly told them he had accelerated quickly and there was no opportunity to avoid the accident. She maintained her assertion that I’d not made sufficient effort to avoid the accident. She expressed no concern that the speed limit was 40 mph and that attempting to merge at 10 mph would violate the Oregon Vehicle Code that requires drivers to act and a “responsible and prudent manner” as well as section 811.285 that requires vehicles to safely merge at the posted speed.
I continued to drive the vehicle as I had been doing previously. While returning from Portland on the 7th, I noticed a grinding noise coming from the front left wheel, which took the brunt of the impact. I decided that the vehicle was probably not safe to drive anymore, so I decided to take it into the shop for repairs and did so on January 8th.
On January 9th, I sent an email to Ms. Sobieck asking what recourse I had for the loss of potential income while my vehicle was in the shop for repairs. I followed up with a phone call on the 10th to talk directly with her. She again asked if I had any passengers (a question posed during my initial statement) to which I again responded that I did not. She then informed me that there may be an issue with their policy while driving as a public conveyance. I again informed her that I had NOT been doing so. I had been on a personal errand which I had decided to cancel after the accident. She let me know that she would let me know what the result of the investigation over the public conveyance was.
I received a certified letter from Esurance dated January 20th informing me that they would not cover any repairs on the vehicle until the investigation was complete. I have since provided them with the fact that it was four hours between the accident and the first public conveyance I provided.
At issue is the following statement found in my policy (appropriate section attached) section 1.F of EXCLUSIONS FOR PART I: LIABILITY COVERAGE: “For that “insured’s” liability arising out of the ownership or operation of any vehicle while it is used as a public or livery conveyance, or used to carry property for compensation or a fee. This Exclusion 1.F. applies to, but is not limited to, the delivery of magazines, newspapers, food, or any other products. However, this Exclusion 1.F. does not apply to shared-expense car pools.” This statement clearly states WHILE it is used as a public conveyance and provides, as examples, the delivery of periodicals, food and products. I interpret this to mean that I would have had to ACCEPTED a ride request and be in transit to the pickup point or have picked up a passenger for pay. Neither of these conditions were in play at the time of the accident meaning that I am needlessly being denied the use of my vehicle.
On January 25th, I stopped by Bruce Chevrolet (the repair facility currently working on the vehicle) to find out what the status of the vehicle was. I was told that in addition to the body damage that has already been repaired, they found that the left front hub (the controlling part of the suspension for the four-wheel drive) was shattered and needing to be replaced. At that time, I reminded him that there were two other issues that presented themselves immediately after the accident; the “Service Suspension System” warning indicator started coming on intermittently, and there was a new “thunking” noise coming from the rear end upon acceleration. He then informed me that after several attempts to arrange for payment for the repairs, Ms. Sobieck had told him to “cease all work on the vehicle and that the only way it would be paid for is if the other insurance company paid for it or if Eric Polson paid for it.”
It would seem to me that an adjustor has the power to make a decision based on facts and/or testimony and/or logic. In this case none have been applied. I testified as to exactly what happened from my point of view. Viking made a decision that considered neither my testimony nor facts presented in the police report and instead took the claim of the at-fault driver that neither coincide with the police report nor Oregon law regarding responsible and prudent driving practices. Esurance made a decision based on a misinterpreted policy statement and chose to ignore testimony to which an oath of truthfulness was given. Based on these comedies of errors I am left without a vehicle since my policy does not cover a rental vehicle, and Viking made no attempt or offer of assistance.

Contact Us