logo

eMusic Contacts & Informations

Posted:

Unauthorized charges

emusic.com
eMusic.com has ads all over the internet offering 25 free downloads, so I succumbed and signed up for the trial membership. Little did I know the scam I was signing up for. When I signed up, emusic required me to enter my credit card information, and with that, they automatically enrolled me to their monthly subscription service.

Anyway, I did end up downloading some tracks, but ultimately I found the music selection lacking. Since I did use the service the few weeks, and I didn't cancel soon enough, I suppose the first charge from emusic was legitimate, even though they get to do this in a sneaky, bait and switch way:

Sign up free!! Now give us your credit card number!! Now we're going to take your money for what we advertised as free!!

After I got billed the first month, I definitely wanted to cancel my account before they scammed more money out of me, so I went and canceled on the web before the subscription renewal date for the next month. But I noticed later that month that emusic had still charged my credit card for that month, which I had canceled.

And I had a HELL of a time trying to contact EMusic's customer support to resolve this. First I tried calling the customer support phone number listed on their website (866-240-9271); which never went through to a live person. Whenever I called that number, I got a recorded message saying that the number is not available!! I also tried to call the emusic number listed on my credit card statement, 866-847-0719, and got the same recorded message. But I couldn't find any other contact numbers on their website! How can they be a legitimate business and have no valid customer support line?

At the same time as I was trying to contact their telephone customer support, I also sent them an email via their web request form, asking to refund the unauthorized charge to my credit card. I received an automated email telling me they have received my request, and per the email instructions, responded to that email. I got no response after a week, so I sent another email to cs@help.emusic.com and also sent another from their web request form. After another week, still no response, so I sent another email, and then a third and fourth email and I NEVER received any response to my emails. Wow, what stellar customer service, emusic!

At wits end, I googled “emusic customer support number" and found a message board where someone had posted their head office numbers. I called the head office in New York (212) 201-9240, and finally spoke with a customer service representative . I explained that they had billed me for my canceled subscription and they should reverse the charge. The rep said they have a firm no refund policy and there was nothing they could do because the account was already canceled, and assured me that I wouldn't see any further charges to my credit card. That's nice, but I explained that they had already taken money from me AFTER I canceled my account, so they charged me for services not rendered, and I was expecting them to refund the unauthorized charge to my credit card. Like a robot, she just kept repeating their canned “no refunds" blurb, no matter how many times I tried to explain that they stole money for services not rendered. Eventually I asked to speak to her supervisor, but she said he wasn't available and he would just tell me the same thing anyways. Lucky for her I am a calm person, so I didn't blow a fit, but just hung up after asking a few more times. After all that, I got NOWHERE.

Emusic is an absolute SCAM! They use deceptive business practices, bait and switch to lure their sucker customers in, then proceed to fraudulently bill their customers.

These scammers use unscrupulous practices to steal money from their customers. I will never do business with these scammers again.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes

eMusic - Unlawful fees!
Pennsylvania
www.emusic.com

I paid $14.99 for 65 music downloads as purchased from Circuit City. NONE of the literature provided said I would be charged $9.99 a month. According to the instructions when I signed up, my credit card information was ONLY if I wanted a monthly subscription, which I never authorized nor agreed to enroll.

I just realized I have been billed almost $210 dollars - $9.99 per month for the last two years.
 15th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

eMusic - charged 95.00 and didnt use
Minnesota
Phone: 866-847-0719
www.emusic.com

I didnt even use it----downloaded the player, because my granddaughter got a I-pod for christmas.
was going to let her get some music. she never did.
I was charged 95.00 for nothing. I want my money back.This is one big rip off.
talk about------ SCAM------SCAM-------Scam------------------------Patt LeMaster
 29th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

eMusic - music card
2134 So. Cypress Ave
Santa Ana
California
Phone: 714-564-2203

They are charging me a monthly fee of 9.99 each for something I did not request. I purchsed a card for 9.99 that supposively bought 20 songs and ended up paying 9.99 a month. I need to cancel but can't.
 7th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Emusic is a scam. They recently charged my mothers credit card and she didn't even know what emusic was. She went to the bank and is trying to get her money back. When we contacted them, all we get back from them is she doesn't have an account. Tonight, I put my mothers email address in for a login and had them send an email for a forgotten password and blam there it was. An account with my mothers email address. So, I look under the credit card info and they had her credit card. Thank goodness she went to the bank and had the card deactivated and a new one issued. I have no idea how they got her info. Tomorrow morning, I am going to contact the BBB. Please, everyone who reads this and has been scammed by this company contact the BBB. I am including two links, one to the bbb and the other is a place where we are "supposed" to be able to cancel the accounts to emusic.
Good Luck to You All.

138-38 68th drive
Flushing
Phone: 718-544-7497
emusic

This web site did not have any music I wanted. I canceled service, but was billed twice!!! They will not answer phone and there web site to cancel is not available. Cancelme@emusic.com
 14th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

eMusic - Fraudulent charges!
Florida
www.emusic.com

I signed up for a "free trial" and emailed to cancel well within the free time. No response so I sent more emails. They charged me 2 months in a row after I have repeatedly emailed to cancel. I FINALLY got a response that unfortunately, they cannot refund payments within the subscription time. Am I just out the money they don't deserve? Should I contact an attorney? How can we run them out of business? Advise smb plz!
 16th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
The same thing is happening to me. How did you fix the problem?
 16th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

eMusic - I can not cancel my membership!
93 lake drive
lake peekskill
Phone: 914 409 2662

I tried canceling my membership a month ago and i am still being billed. I am trying to cancel my membership again to day by email and phone and i can not cancel!
 19th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
My credit card has been charged and I could never get any music to to to my MP3 player. I can not find the place to go to get my money back. I am very upset with this E-Music.
 20th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
emusic has taken 95.90 out of my checking account that i am not using. and i would like my money to be put back into my account asap.
 27th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Please cancel me this has been going on forever i was suppose to get credited back all fees i am still getting billed now my account is past limit plus over due fees
 28th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Same thing here!!! I sent a third note to the customer service saying that I am reporting them to the BBB if they do not refund me within 5-7 days. So, I'll see next week if they respond! How can they get away with this?!?!?! This same thing happened to me on a different website called Clever Island (for kids). I even had an attorney write a letter and I got only one month refunded (out of 3). They stated that I should have called them sooner than I did. They got away with it because no lawyer wants to waste time about $30!!! It's the principle though!!!
 28th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
i do not have a ipod to download music on but someone charge my account and i need to be re-enbursed for the funds and stop charging my account
 29th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I'm in the same predicament. I found out that there has been a Emusic charge agains my account for the last several months that I did not subscribe to (At least not knowingly) or has ever used. I tried calling the number list for them only to be told that I couldn't speak with a live voice. Since then I've been reading many complaints from those in my same situation. If there is any help anyone can supply on this site. Please email me at parkplace21@comporium.net...I may end up having to get legal consultation. I can't believe they are ripping people off like this and is still in business...Please if any one can help, email me. Thanks...
 29th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Same story here. I emailed them for the third time in one month with no response. So yesterday (29May08) I emailed them and said I was going to report them to the BBB. The same day they responded saying they canceled my membership (that I never authorized) and refunded me back all money!!

eMusic - Unauthorized credit card payments
www.emusic.com

Unauthorized payments taken, unable to use service, dismissive responses, no refund policy. A total unsatisfactory result. Almost $90 for absolutely nothing. Being handled by the police. Giving internet music a bad name!
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
This is a charge I didn't make and I want my money back.
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
How do I get my money back?
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
Will this stop any further charges? and how do I get an answer to my Questions.
 5th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
HAVE TRIED EVERY THING I KNOW HOW TO DOBUT AM UNABLE TO GET THE CHARGES STOPPED LET ALONE GET THEM TO GIVE ANY REFUND FOR THE MUSIC THAT WAS SO NOT AVAILABLE EVEN HAD A FRIEND {ONE THAT HAS A LOT OF COMPUTER SAVY}THEY DIDNT HAVE ANY LUCK EITHER. DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS?? PLEASE!!!

5 Best Ways to Get Free Stuff