logo

eMusic Contacts & Informations

Posted:    Monty

Unauthorized charges

emusic.com
eMusic.com has ads all over the internet offering 25 free downloads, so I succumbed and signed up for the trial membership. Little did I know the scam I was signing up for. When I signed up, emusic required me to enter my credit card information, and with that, they automatically enrolled me to their monthly subscription service.

Anyway, I did end up downloading some tracks, but ultimately I found the music selection lacking. Since I did use the service the few weeks, and I didn't cancel soon enough, I suppose the first charge from emusic was legitimate, even though they get to do this in a sneaky, bait and switch way:

Sign up free!! Now give us your credit card number!! Now we're going to take your money for what we advertised as free!!

After I got billed the first month, I definitely wanted to cancel my account before they scammed more money out of me, so I went and canceled on the web before the subscription renewal date for the next month. But I noticed later that month that emusic had still charged my credit card for that month, which I had canceled.

And I had a HELL of a time trying to contact EMusic's customer support to resolve this. First I tried calling the customer support phone number listed on their website (866-240-9271); which never went through to a live person. Whenever I called that number, I got a recorded message saying that the number is not available!! I also tried to call the emusic number listed on my credit card statement, 866-847-0719, and got the same recorded message. But I couldn't find any other contact numbers on their website! How can they be a legitimate business and have no valid customer support line?

At the same time as I was trying to contact their telephone customer support, I also sent them an email via their web request form, asking to refund the unauthorized charge to my credit card. I received an automated email telling me they have received my request, and per the email instructions, responded to that email. I got no response after a week, so I sent another email to cs@help.emusic.com and also sent another from their web request form. After another week, still no response, so I sent another email, and then a third and fourth email and I NEVER received any response to my emails. Wow, what stellar customer service, emusic!

At wits end, I googled “emusic customer support number" and found a message board where someone had posted their head office numbers. I called the head office in New York (212) 201-9240, and finally spoke with a customer service representative . I explained that they had billed me for my canceled subscription and they should reverse the charge. The rep said they have a firm no refund policy and there was nothing they could do because the account was already canceled, and assured me that I wouldn't see any further charges to my credit card. That's nice, but I explained that they had already taken money from me AFTER I canceled my account, so they charged me for services not rendered, and I was expecting them to refund the unauthorized charge to my credit card. Like a robot, she just kept repeating their canned “no refunds" blurb, no matter how many times I tried to explain that they stole money for services not rendered. Eventually I asked to speak to her supervisor, but she said he wasn't available and he would just tell me the same thing anyways. Lucky for her I am a calm person, so I didn't blow a fit, but just hung up after asking a few more times. After all that, I got NOWHERE.

Emusic is an absolute SCAM! They use deceptive business practices, bait and switch to lure their sucker customers in, then proceed to fraudulently bill their customers.

These scammers use unscrupulous practices to steal money from their customers. I will never do business with these scammers again.
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of May, 2008 by   Peggy 0 Votes
Emusic is a scam. They recently charged my mothers credit card and she didn't even know what emusic was. She went to the bank and is trying to get her money back. When we contacted them, all we get back from them is she doesn't have an account. Tonight, I put my mothers email address in for a login and had them send an email for a forgotten password and blam there it was. An account with my mothers email address. So, I look under the credit card info and they had her credit card. Thank goodness she went to the bank and had the card deactivated and a new one issued. I have no idea how they got her info. Tomorrow morning, I am going to contact the BBB. Please, everyone who reads this and has been scammed by this company contact the BBB. I am including two links, one to the bbb and the other is a place where we are "supposed" to be able to cancel the accounts to emusic.
Good Luck to You All.
Peggy

http://www.emusic.com/help/subscription.html <---- To cancel
http://welcome.bbb.org/ <----- Better Business Bureau
 16th of May, 2008 by   bruce syska 0 Votes

eMusic - I can not cancel my membership!
93 lake drive
lake peekskill
New York
Phone: 914 409 2662

I tried canceling my membership a month ago and i am still being billed. I am trying to cancel my membership again to day by email and phone and i can not cancel!
 27th of May, 2008 by   Diana L Jones 0 Votes
Please cancel me this has been going on forever i was suppose to get credited back all fees i am still getting billed now my account is past limit plus over due fees
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   Pirc 0 Votes

eMusic - Unauthorized credit card payments
New York
www.emusic.com

Unauthorized payments taken, unable to use service, dismissive responses, no refund policy. A total unsatisfactory result. Almost $90 for absolutely nothing. Being handled by the police. Giving internet music a bad name!
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   Grace Milner 0 Votes
This is a charge I didn't make and I want my money back.
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   Grace Milner 0 Votes
How do I get my money back?
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   Grace Milner 0 Votes
Will this stop any further charges? and how do I get an answer to my Questions.
 18th of Jun, 2008 by   John deC. 0 Votes
emusic.com is definitely a scam and a fraud. I just started seeing charges on my credit card for monthly "subscription fees" I never authorized. I never even signed on for a free "trial subscription"! I have notified the Better Business Bureau of New York and the office of the state's Attorney General. Hopefully, these wretched scam-artists will be prosecuted soon!
 7th of Sep, 2008 by   julie rathe 0 Votes
This is the first time that I am trying to download music and it sucks. I can not cancel my membership and I am worried about being charged like everyone else is complaining about. I sure would like to know how to do this!!!
 6th of Jan, 2009 by   George 0 Votes
I would advise against giving this company your credit card number. My recent experience: I followed a promotion from Flavorpill, a culture blog I trust, and created an eMusic account that offered 50 free downloads for a 10-day free trial period, after which, if I did not cancel, i would receive 30 downloads a month for 11.99.

When I did sign in to get my free downloads, I noticed that with my first download, a counter went from '30' to '29.' I checked my credit card activity online and realized I had already been billed -- before the trial period (confirmed via email) expired.

I immediately suspended my account and explained the situation via their online help form. I was sent an email with a tracking number, promising a response within a few days. No response, so I called and entered Kafka territory. Two different customer service reps followed a script, to wit: 'We are sorry you had this experience. We have a no-refund policy. I can cancel your account so you're not billed further. No, there are no supervisors to speak to. Can I assist you with something else?'

So their company policy seems to be to 'convert' free trials before the written agreement date, and then to refuse to refund money, and there is no recourse.

After going around the block several times with the second rep, I asked for the company address, and told him these practices were fraudulent, classic bait-and-switch. At that point, he said he'd make a one-time exception, but hoped 'my supervisor doesn't find out.' (Really? I thought there were no supervisors!) Looks like there are certain phrases that do get your money back. You have to be calm, clear, state dates and cite sources, and sound as though you're ready to escalate to writing. i did not threaten or talk about lawyers, but i was ready to write to the attorney general and better business bureau, and I think this guy could sense that.
 13th of Jan, 2009 by   mrs.s 0 Votes
I strongly agree. read my complaint on cancelme@emusic.com. under mrs . s. spread the news to your local area.
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   Fredo 0 Votes
My new Toshiba laptop came with a free trial of emusic.com with one free book download and 50 songs. The monthly subscription rate after 14 days was $9.99 plus excess downloads.

They stated that I had unlimited downloads of the same book or song for the period. However when I queried the $9.99 charge on my statement at the bank, they claimed I downloaded twice the books of the same name. I only had one successful download of the book.

I canceled the subscription prior to the end of the 14 days. They said they would refund the $9.99. Now two weeks later they are claiming the I failed to cancel and that the charge is for the subscription, even though the charge to my account predated the end of the free period.
 2nd of Mar, 2009 by   Brent 0 Votes
I got the same treatment from this horrible company. They charged me after I had cancelled my trail account.
I called in to complain and got the same script. I did get one of the script reading dicks to transfer my call to a supervisor only to listen to the line ring and ring and ring...

Im trying to come up with the best option of getting the word out about this companies dishonest pratices. I'm going to look at the BBC site and also see what the Feds have available as far as complaining about dishonest bussiness pratices.
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   emusic 0 Votes

eMusic - unauthorized chaarges
emusic
Arizona

Theae charges were not authorized and it has been going on for several months. My wife discovered them and questioned me, I did not authorize this.
 20th of May, 2009 by   debbie clark 0 Votes

eMusic - they took the money and charged me
8723 hupp ave
Warren
Michigan
Phone: 586-7591324
emusic.com

i never received a trail period they took 115.10 out from my debt card . they will not return my money . they abused my account. they claim they are antitled to the money that i didnot properly cancel them but i did as best as my knoeledge. sincerly debbie clark. cmastif7777@yahoo.com
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   Steffan 0 Votes
I received a few flyers with the arrival of my newly purchased Creative's Zen MP3 player... I tryed Audible.com first, and am happy to say that the Risk Free 30 day trial offer seams to be legit... I got my Audioboox I have NOT been charged to date, and DO plan to continue to do biz w/them.

Having had THAT good fortune, I decided to try the next page in the flyer... EMusic... Still, a 30 day "RISK FREE" offer, 50 free songs, no payment no fault, keep the tunes if cancelled within 30 days, $11.99 if I stuck - and the option for another "RISK FREE" 14 day trial of eboox, with a rollover to $9.99 if I did not cancel within that 14 days.

I tried to download 1 MP3 tune on the Emusic site... While it played in my Windows Media player, it was no where to be found in my computer. Ok... let's go and cancel... Twas then that I saw I had ALLREADY been nailed for the $11.99... When I tried to use my 1 credit for an Audio book, the 1st 5 that I TRIED to obtain, got an 'ooops' page... Not available at this time...??? Huh??? It's DATA! On the 6th try. I saw that my 1 free credit had evaporated and my account had allready been charged $9.99, but there was no new ebook downloaded anywhere in my computer!

Peepz, I'm disabled and on a fixxed income. I choose my entertainment expenditures wisely, and while I have NO PROBLEMS with staying with someone reputable, I can ILL AFFORD to be allowing myself to be scammed out of part of a fixxed income.

This has cost me $11.99 + $9.99 + overdrafts on each $25.00 X 2, and then another check bounced due to this for $19.00 and then another $25.00 fee for that.

In return, I have ZERO--- Bupkiss, NADA, to listen to except myself, singin the blues!

These people have NO PHONE NUMBER! I usually look 4 such PRIOR to allowing myself to get screwed, It was my bad this time for not doing proper dilligent research.

I have already shot off 4 complaints to them, via their on line form, the ONLY way they can be contacted it appears... And have allready been to my bank, who will be trying to recoupe my funds... I doubt it will happen, but I've got 'em all crossed yo.

The online form says they will TRY to get back to you within a week, but there is NO WAY to get to a breathing human here.

It is MY HUMBLE OPINION that people should steer clear of this place until they either get the act togethor, work out the bugs... Something.. I really hate to want to be a hater and claim SCAM... But--- I AM out OVER to a hundred bux here, for one partially listened to tune that I cannot even listen to anymore!

What a shame Creedence Clear Water Revival can't collect the royalty on that track!.

My next stop is to put in a complaint with Creative, as they oughta know better than to taint a good product with a BAD BAD partner.
 1st of Sep, 2009 by   727 0 Votes
Here is the real emusic contact info for customer service.

Nathan Mares

25th of Nov, 2009 by   savvy consumer123 0 Votes

eMusic - free trial cancellation
Emusic
Georgia

I second the complaints about the "free trial" offers and the lack of customer service. It is impossible to cancel. Be wary of accepting their offer-you will pay in any case.
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   cody2 0 Votes

eMusic - still taking money out of my account after I cancelled.
emusic
emusic.com

I cancelled my subscription and got an email stating my free trial has been cancelled and wont be charged. But Lo and behold my account is being charged as we speak.
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   cody2 0 Votes
Does anyone have a number I can reach them at? Emusic. Justanothr trying to get by stated they called them. Whats the number?

While Homeowners Suffer, Foreclosure Mills Make Millions