logo

Gameloft
Unauthorised subscription
2. (19 mins ago)
Thrive Extreme Health
Seller didn't inform to cancel subscription
3. (38 mins ago)
england
Seat Cushions
4. (45 mins ago)
Getinterviews.com
Resume Writing Rip Off
5. (47 mins ago)
drugpillstore.com
Fault tracking number and fake promises from the agents

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Empire Carpet Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent quote!

Empire Carpet Contacts & Informations

Empire Carpet

Posted:    Darren Hunter

Fraudulent quote!

On 2/21/07, a sales representative from Empire came to my house to give me a quote. The representative measured the two rooms (living room and bedroom), advising me that it totaled 80 square yards. I picked out two different samples. For the less expensive sample, he advised that it cost $29 per square yard, including removal of the existing carpet, padding and installation. Including taxes, he quoted a price slightly more than $2,500. After I hesitated, he stated that the "sale" would end that day. I asked him what the "regular price" was, and he responded that it was $38 per square yard. After I hesitated further, he asked how much I would be willing to pay. I paused, then stated, "maybe $2,000." He said, "Okay, but I need to know now." I hesitated again, and then I left the room to call a contractor-contact of mine to ask if that price was reasonable. He advised me that the price was high. I told the sales representative that I had to think about it, and I would call him the following week. After he left, I had an independent carpeting contractor come to the house to give me a competitive quote. The other contractor came to my house later in the day to take measurements. He advised me that the two rooms totaled only 68 square yards. Thus, the Empire sales representative lied to me about the total yardage. I decided to drop it, and not call Empire back.

The most egregious act by Empire, however, was still to come. On 2/25/07, I received a call from an Empire telephone representative, who asked me if I was interested in purchasing the carpet. Without explanation, I said no. She responded that Empire could beat the last quote. I stated that I was still not interested. She asked me why. I then started to explain the entire story, including that Empire lied about the amount of square yards. Before I was finished explaining what had happened, but after I told her that Empire lied about the total yardage, the Empire telephone representative hung up on me. I fully expected her to apologize and tell me that Empire would undertake an investigation, but instead she did just the opposite. By hanging up on me, she exposed Empire for the fraud it really is. Obviously, this was not a situation where the sales representative who went to my home was a "bad egg." To the contrary, by hanging up on me, she proved that Empire is in on the fraud. Empire's fraudulent scheme, among other things, is to overquote the amount of square yards needed. Empire should be shut down.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Apr, 2007 by   Empire-Today 0 Votes
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today.  We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate any of your information that may link us to your account being that you did not identify yourself at any time. Please give us the opportunity to correct your issues at a suitable time. You can reach us at 800-583-3000 and ask to speak to one of our resolution experts and please give us either your telephone number that links to your account or your contract number. Thank you have a great day.
 30th of Jul, 2007 by   Karla Meehan 0 Votes
I had a similar experience, except that I was naive enough to purchase the cheaper carpet they recommended that I was grossly overcharged for. The carpet shredded so excessively that it clogged every vacuum cleaner I tried. Within one year the carpet was so worn that it looked at least 5 years old. When I complained and Empire came out to inspect it, I still did not get a response back. I had to call customer service only to be told that it needed to be steam cleaned. When I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau they made up all kinds of things to say that I voided the warranty. They have refused to give me any kind of credit. I ended up having to give a carpet allowance when I finally sold my house. I agree that they are crooks and selling extremely cheap products at above market prices. It seems that there should be some kind of recourse against companies like this.
 13th of Aug, 2007 by   Barbra Mathewson 0 Votes
Thanks for this site as well as the complaints. I have an appointment for an Empire free estimate next week and am canceling. There commercial sounded too good to be true.
 28th of Aug, 2007 by   Michael Shampine 0 Votes
To make my home more attractive for sale on the market, I will be recarpeting it. In addition to getting my first quote from one retailer, I wanted to get a second quote. I thought I'd check out Empire, since they do such a huge amount of TV and radio advertising. I went online to get their phone number & noticed this "Complaint" listing. Thanks to this listing and complaints, I won't even be calling Empire. I appreciate whoever set up this site and those who wrote up their feelings about Empire -- what a despicable operation!
 11th of Sep, 2007 by   Dave 0 Votes
Im actualy waiting right now for the empire estimate guy, Im glad I got to read these reports, thank you
 15th of Oct, 2007 by   joe bowen 0 Votes
I'm so glad I saw this ! I was looking for empires number via the web and saw this comment thread.

I'll find somebody else to quote it.

Thanks,
Joe!
 7th of Nov, 2007 by   SHARON 0 Votes
JUST TRIED TO GET INFO ON PHONE TO NO VALE. THEY TOLD ME TO GET INFO I WOULD HAVE TO SET APT FOR SOMEONE TO COME TO MY HOME, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE... I'M GLAD I SAW THE COMPLIANT LIST.. I'LL BE LOOKING ELSEWHERE FOR MY CARPET... THEY SHOULD BE OUST...
 7th of Nov, 2007 by   Melinda Rolfes 0 Votes
I had a similar experience. I felt highly pressured in my home and ended up calling and canceling, however the carpet installers arrived at my home the following day to install the carpet and they stated they had no record of me canceling despite the fact that I spoke with the person who came out and measured. I felt humiliated and embarrassed when the installers came out anyway and I felt pressured once again to have them install the carpets/flooring anyway. I finally just called and spoke to the sales rep and was quite angry I felt as if I was being duped.

A few months later, I received several quotes for comparable flooring with a much lower price tag!

I think they get customers who are desperate to get things done and get those of us who are impatient and impulsive- and... naive.
 23rd of Nov, 2007 by   ex installer for empire 0 Votes
overpriced, high pressure, arrogant, they are not helping our industry at all. Buy from your local experienced installer. Lower price, one on one service. I know, I am that guy. I value ALL of my customers. ALL OF THEM
 28th of Nov, 2007 by   elpenseroso 0 Votes
Thank you for the ten Complaint postings. I read every one of them and then called to cance tomorrows appointment which I just made this afternoon.

Got through to a live body but when she heard that I was cancelling my appointment and that I was not interested in re-scheduling said she would transfer me to the person who could do that. Ten minutes later she returned and said I should call back tomorrow.

That caused me to become very factual and described my findings and consider this notice as a cancellation.

She put me thru to another person who offered me $50.00 off my purchase ( ON WHAT PRICE ???) if I re-scheduled.
That confirmed my readings and intent. We cancelled tomorrow's appointment. Thank you for the insight.
 1st of Dec, 2007 by   waiting for estimator 0 Votes
called yesterday for appointment to estimate said would be there between 9 and 11 on sat. it is now 12:30 and not hear yet! what a bunch of losers! I will go with my local HOME DEPOT! Thanks for the site. Later losers
 3rd of Dec, 2007 by   Kehau 0 Votes
Thanks for all the posts! It seems they operate similar to how carpet cleaners operate. I was going to schedule an appointment and have now decided to look elsewhere based on what I learned here.
 5th of Dec, 2007 by   c.nickerson 0 Votes
I own a duplex and I am currently remodeling both sides. Thank you to all of you for your feedback on that company! I was going to set up an appointment with them but forgot their phone number from the TV add. I had to look it up on line and saw what a nightmare company they are !!! I will let all of my friends know about that "caca" company.
 13th of Dec, 2007 by   K Wogomon 0 Votes
I'm really glad to have found this site, I had just called to setup an appointment to get an estimate on carpet. Which by reading this Won't happen. I want to say thanks to all that have taken their time to help others not get scammed by companies like this one.
 17th of Dec, 2007 by   Durian 0 Votes
I just got online to look for Empire's phone number after seeing their tv commercial and I am so glad to come across this complaint listing. Thank you so much for the information. IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, THEN IT PROBABLY IS!!!
 19th of Dec, 2007 by   Shawn Johnson 0 Votes
Go to the top of this website and type in Home Depot in the website search bar and over 200 complaints come up. That's less than Empire. Anyone who has every been to Home Depot knows what you get from minimum wage workers. Good luck at Home Depot, 3-4 weeks for special orders or the crap they have on hand in 3-4 days. Had nothing but horrible experiences with Home Depot.

Good Luck Dealing with HD, they are real professionals that get paid minimum wage, of course they don't care to work hard for you.

Laughing about the buttons to push when trying to find someone to help you in the departments. Just walk in and look around and ask questions most workers walk by you with their head down as if please don't dare ask me a question. Dealing with the managers is even better, have fun.
 19th of Dec, 2007 by   Shawn Johnson 0 Votes
I'm sorry to mis-quote the complaints from typing in Home Depot above in the website search box. There are only 210 complaints and 21 pages of complaints.
 1st of Jan, 2008 by   Edwin Rivera 0 Votes
I do home inspections, and I can't tell you how many complaints I hear and see about Empire. Carpet is thin and the installation is often substandard, particularly around seems and baseboards. I would never, ever have Empire install anything for me.
 23rd of Jan, 2008 by   Steven Duke 0 Votes
Had a very similar experience. I measured up after the rep had gone and my measurements came in smaller by over 25%. I did this to try and get a per foot cost (they wouldn't give me one - not their policy I was told) to compare and found the carpet was way overpriced as well.

The manager told me that I didn't know what I was doing and tried to spin me a line that the measurements were out because of the wastage they had to build in due to roll width.

Needless to say I didn't proceed.

They prey on our impatience and a desire for immediacy.

Do your homework and get reputable suppliers in.
 24th of Jan, 2008 by   Jo Sonny 0 Votes
Steve,

No matter where you get carpet you'll find that you need 15%-20% EXTRA in order to size the rooms correctly and put the seams in the best locations, this is NOT an underhanded move or spin. Carpet comes in 12 foot widths only. If your room is 10 foot by 8 foot, you're going to need a piece of carpet 12 x 8 and who do you think is supposed to pay for the waste? the company you buy from? Get real.

Tips For Avoiding Timeshare Scams