Auto-Renewal of Subscription Set to ON

Seattle, Washington
Apparently the auto-renewal option for your subscription has a default setting of ON, unless you change it to OFF. I learned this when, at the end of my 3-month subscription, I got an email informing me that eHarmony had automatically renewed my subscription and charged my account for the 3-month rate ($107). I never got any notices via email, and the only indication on my eHarmony page was a button to "Renew Subscription". I assumed that if I didn't take any action the subscription would simply expire. This is totally deceptive and very poor customer service.

When I called eHarmony customer service, the agent indicated that the confirmation page/email you receive when first sign up says that the auto-renewal option is set to ON, and that the company could not refund the charge. I expressed my disatisfaction with this and the agent then said she could refund $67 and have my sub end after one month. I told her that I was still not satisfied, that the way eHarmony handled the billing was very deceptive, and that I was considering contacting the Better Business Bureau or other consumer affairs organization to complain. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. The agent put me on hold, then came back and said she could give me a full refund.
Complaint comments Comments (2) Complaint country United States Complaint category Online Dating Services
Was the above complaint useful?

10th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Congratulations for getting your full refund, even if it was all your fault that you didn't read the terms and conditions or read the screens and emails during the subscription purchasing process. Congrats!

Next time, "automatic" means "automatic, " not "You can expect us to send you an email before we do it." Does your automatic thermostat send you an email before it turns the heat on?
 4th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
I have the same problem and cannot get a refund! Signed up for 3 months, they charged 3 months. 4 months later they start charging my card again! They said I signed up for 6 months which I didn't and said I was on auto renewal which I had not idea but wouldn't they keep charging my card 6 months in a row?? I feel like I was duped! Is it me or is it a very misleading website? Not very clear that it is auto renewal or the subscription period.

eHarmony Logo eHarmony