logo

Reliance Netconnect
Not closing the connection
4. (12 mins ago)
hackhimnow.com
They started to steal from me
5. (21 mins ago)
paypermail.com
non payment of account

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Dorrance Publishing Company, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent company

Dorrance Publishing Company Contacts & Informations

Dorrance Publishing Company

Posted:    Susan

Fraudulent company

Dorrance Publishing Company
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
dorrancepublishing.com
Dorrence found me by a manuscript that I sent in to be copyrighted. After they viewed my manuscript I was contacted by mail. They stated that they would like to publish my book. I was very excited immediately I sign on the dotted line. And sent in 500.00 dollars to get my book started.

They put me on a payment plan.They sent me the style of my book and the way it was going to look, and the needed my signature for my approval. And I signed it. Immediately after my first deposit I become unemployed and could not continue to make te payments I tried to contact some body in the finance department and let them know my situation. but every time I called I was giving to their voice mail.

I left several messages but never got a called back a few months later I received a letter stating that I owed a total of 7, ooo dollars. And that they were going to put my book on hold until a payment was made I felt that I was treated very unfairly considering that this is my first book that I dedicated to the devastating time of my life and I really wanted it to be heard it is about a women who fought long and hard for her children in the judicial system.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Mar, 2010 by   David Jay Ramsden 0 Votes
I have recently completed two novels even though I have been writing for 15 years. I was scammed in 1999 by Minerva Press and I am trying to use the traditional methods, i.e. Literary Agent, Publishers etc. Someone once said that the road to publication is long, hard and full of potholes! That is so true, Dorrance, Origional Writing, AuthorHouse, Xlibris and several others almost throw contracts at you without even reading a single word you have sweated over so how can they justify saying that they 'care' about writers? If they cared they would not put anyone into print as they do now. I have sacrificed for my art, I am a serious writer with a long, long pedigree but I still cannot find the right publisher so how can a first time writer have any chance? I have spent most of my working life in sales but self publishing does not produce the same quality of product as the traditional publishers and he bigger bookstores will not give you the shelf space which they know will sell if a well known writer parks his books there. I have sevral offers of publication but only through self-publish/vanity publishers and e books. I am going to research every single possible avenue before making a decision, I believe in my work and believe I can make it pay but I need to know in my heart of hearts that I am making the right decision. David Jay Ramsden
 8th of Jan, 2011 by   David Jay Ramsden -1 Votes
Since making this comment I was offered and accepted a publishing deal with Pneuma Springs and my book was published in June 2010 at no cost to me. My book is the first in a series of detective nivels and is titled 'Inspector Doyle Daly: The rise and fall of the Phoenix.' If you like good reads then buy this one... you wont be disappointed.P.S. I still get offers from the vanity publishers every few days! If your book is good enough then a publisher will come along. Keep trying and keep your faith in your ability.
 21st of Jan, 2011 by   Sandman 999 +1 Votes
Yes, I agree too! That "Dorrance Publishing" is the most fraudulent entity I unfortunately have ever done some business with. I wrote a sci-fi manuscript back in 2005, upon completion had it copyrighted with the Library of Congress. After some bad advice from a former friend. I too made that big mistake and sent my copyrighted work to them. (big mistake) It was three to four weeks later when I received this confirmation in the mail that my work would be a great seller. Also included in the paperwork was some contract info to the tune of $30, 000 bucks just to start the ball rolling. So like everyone else I thought about that payment plan jazz too for a few days then wisely rejected the whole ludicrous scam of an idea. I wised-up after reading this review crap that said the following words. "Thought-Provoking Read" this was followed by some (computer literature read software front phrasing jazz) that would fit any & all works sent to them. With my suspicions now aroused, read all the paperwork several times, examining every paragraph carefully. When it finally dawned on me like a revelation come to pass. This was all about money and lots of it too. "Nothing! To do with me or my literary work ." I had now discovered a contract flaw that stated the following, "Dorrance Publishing" does not "guarantee" a buying market for any work." In other words, I would take all the risk's even though I was paying thousands for everything already, & they would cleanup up on both ends of this one-sided deal.

That prompted me to send several strongly worded e-mail letters calling them in essence "Crooks" thus, demanding the immediate deletion of all materials sent. Furthermore, to my discussing amazement one reply told me in plain English that I had the potential for a number 1 best-selling sci-fi novel here, & I should rethink my harsh decision to cancel signing that "fraudulent one-sided contract." We'll I didn't refrain for my decision stands even today. This book Publishing jazz has become a big bad joke. The overall caliper of writing is quite poor indeed with little or no real imagination to it. In other words, these new rich sci-fi writers truly do stink--big time! I can only surmise that to be a rich well-known novelist in this day & age, one must have some big connections and a damn good agent too. Everyone else he or she (no matter how good the work may be) has a fat chance in hell of ever getting anything published without taking out a loan or remortgaging one's house.

After several failed attempts, more fraudulent heartbreaking deals that collapsed right in my face. I have decided to convert this sci-fi manuscript into a movie script. Thus, like that "Print is dead jazz" these publishers are just as dead...

"Hollywood" here I come with an absolutely cool fresh movie script, that will put to shame movies like, clover field, Armageddon & 2012...
 5th of Apr, 2011 by   J.A. Hopson 0 Votes
I can appreciate all the comments about Dorrance and the other publishers like them as I have also been courted by them. I've made no arrangements and probably won't now as a result of hearing these reports from those who have been disappointed. Here is one thing to think about though: NO PUBLISHER can "guarantee a buying public", not Viking, not Wm Morrow, not Knopf, not Harcourt Brace, or any other. THOSE big time guys take all the chances up front and they cannot predict whether or not the book will sell. Advice i was given (which i will follow) is to get short fiction published in magazines and enter contests. If your work truly stands out, publishers will take notice. Good luck, all of you.
 10th of Jun, 2011 by   DAVID KING'ORI -1 Votes
Now i have just completed writing my poetry manuscript but am just about to submit it to Dorrance publishers.I have just lead some of the heart breaking complaints relating to fraud of manuscript. please could somebody assure me whether am making the right decision.
 29th of Mar, 2012 by   David Warrior -1 Votes
I don't know if Dorrance is a scam but I have a book in process that I first submitted almost 18 months ago. The process has been very slow, with no correspondence or reporting on progress except an email to tell me my 2nd (and many months later 3rd) payment was overdue and work would stop on my book. The idea that they may send an invoice or some kind of reminder BEFORE the payment is due seems to be beyond their managerial skills. I just received an email out of the blue, informing me that they have sent 24 free copies of my book to my office. Unfortunately my office moved to a new building a year ago. Had they informed me that this shipment was ready to be sent I would have given them my new address. It is very possible these 24 books will be lost. So I would not say this is a scam exactly, but I get the impression it is run with minimum staff and minimum understanding of what 'service' means. If I treated my clients in this way my company would be bankrupt within 3 months. I shall not be a returning customer that's for sure.
 30th of Mar, 2012 by   David Warrior -1 Votes
NOT A SCAM. Since posting my comment regarding the poor service quality of Dorrance, in particular the lack of any correspondence, progress reports or information other than notices when my (never invoiced) payment was overdue, I have been contacted by a Dorrance employee responsible for shipping 24 free copies of my book to me without any prior notice. The books were shipped to my old office address. Had I been informed that Dorrance was ready to ship the books I would have given my new address. (See my posting above).
But, to the credit of Dorrance the lady concerned took quick action and was able to retrieve my package from the US mail service and re ship to the correct address. So I do not think there is a scam going on here. This one employee took the initiative, (thanks Katie), and responded professionally to my email. The problem I see is very poor management, poor systems for dealing with clients beyond "have a nice day" and far too much emphasis on getting their money with the minimum of time spent (wasted?) making their clients feel valued. Basically an author pays them to prepare a manuscript and print the book for a fairly hefty fee. But it is not a scam. Just lousy management and corporate attitude. I suggest the managers should talk to Katie and take some notes!
 13th of May, 2012 by   Laqaixit Tewee -1 Votes
I was recently courted by Dorrance Publishing. I decided to look into their Publishing Co., and was glad I did before submitting any manuscript to them. Up until now I have submitted children's colored illustrated books through Xlibris and find them pretty reasonable for returning authors. www.magicalswanbooks.com Laqaixit Tewee
 28th of Aug, 2012 by   YourWorst 0 Votes
RoseDog Books (Dorrance Publishing) is playing a tiresome royalties-statement-got-lost-in-the-mail game with me and won't return my calls. Since my profit is a trivial $1.50 per book, I can only conclude that they are covering up profits to evade taxes. My book has almost 20, 000 likes on Facebook now, and I see they only have 2, 000, so this game of theirs will not last. I would be personally honored if my book itself, a study in personal and progressive devastation, became their utter demise. I'm very concerned that no one else is posting about this problem, but I guess with a statement due only every 6 months, the publishers get more comfortable with neglecting to mail one, then they're clear for a whole year! This is not the first time they've done this to me! It's a classic scam of sleazy vanity publishers that are put out of business, like Bookman Publishing, and I don't give a shit if they've been around since 1920...their days are numbered!!!
 29th of Jun, 2013 by   CCnothappy 0 Votes
You people need to realize that publishing is a job and that real authors never ever pay one penny they get paid. Paying for vanity publishing makes you a fool no matter which vanity scammer you go with. They are ALL scams. They flatter you to steal from you. You make a joke of yourself.
 29th of Jun, 2013 by   CCnothappy 0 Votes
Please be warned the person on here pretending to be happy with Xlibris is an Xlibris employer trying to draw some of you into another scam. If your book is any good a REAL publisher will want it even if it is digital only at least youw ill never pay one penny and will get sent money even if it isn't a lot. instead of stolen from by thieves and you should always type the name of your publisher plus scam into google Xlibris Scam!
 18th of Jul, 2013 by   John A. Thompson, Jr +1 Votes
I have also submitted material to Dorrance for consideration for publishing. To date, many telephone messages plus written letters, all to no avail, have been made to Dorrance. They have sent nothing to me in the form of a written contract to publish, no apoligies for delay, absolutely no contact of any kind. This is all very dissapointing. I would think a reputable publisher would at least have some courtesy. Thank s for nothing, Dorrance. John A. Thompson, Jr.
 5th of Aug, 2013 by   User4987234 0 Votes
Dear Michael Knapp 4/8/2013
Author Services Representative
Thanks for your email dated Friday, August 2/2013 regarding the Rose Dog Team.
Refer to my letter dated 03.08.2013 I say sorry to you while acknowledging the hard work that you have in your hands and head of you in helping build peace stability and prosperity to Authors in different nations.
This is in respect to your you have only once you receive payment on the sales invoice would that sale be eligible for earnings to the author earlier
Promise me to change the lives of the people for the better during your tenure.
After all this I would like to know when I will receive my earnings. ? I would like to know when you will receive payment on the sales invoice.? Would like to know my charge I will be paid according to my contract or payment on the sales invoice?
Beg clarification on only once you Receive payment on the sales invoice ? Please let me know soon.
I humbly request you to look at my attached documents and advise me accordingly to my contract.
Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon.
Yours Sincerely.

HUSSEIN ALLY SULTANI

Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Sun, 9:24 AM
Message starred
Fw: RE; only once we receive payment on the sales invoice [Ticket: 130803-000181]
Hide Details

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: LinkedIn Customer Support
To: husseinally76@yahoo.com
Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2013 10:06 AM
Subject: RE; only once we receive payment on the sales invoice [Ticket: 130803-000181]

[---001:002519:63418---]
LinkedIn Customer Support Message

Subject: RE; only once we receive payment on the sales invoice

Thanks for contacting us. Someone from our support team will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you can sign in to your LinkedIn account, you can check the status of your submitted tickets any time in the Support History section of our Help Center.

Regards,

Your LinkedIn Customer Experience Team

*** This message is automatically generated by our system to show we've received your ticket request. ***

Original Contact:

Member Comment: SPAM SPAM 08/03/2013 02:06

Dear Michael Knapp 3 /8/2013
Author Services Representative

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comment to me dated Friday, August 2 2013, regarding the Rose Dog Team.
You wrote to me back on the Friday, August 2, 2013 that some one would have responded to me in Although orders may have been placed prior to the end of the earnings period, only once we receive payment on the sales invoice would that sale be eligible for earnings to the author.
Until you have only once you Receive payment on the sales invoice.
Please late me know till when will I get and how many days it takes is here and that only once you Receive payment on the sales invoice.
Please late me know if there is any problem about in only once you Receive payment on the sales invoice.
In your letter mentioning is when will I receive my earnings?
Please forward to me information of my earnings.
a body that will allow me to send my earnings definition notify me.
L humbly request you to look at my attached documents and advise me accordingly to my contract.
Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon.
Yours Sincerely.

HUSSEIN ALLY SULTANI

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Michael Knapp <[link removed]>
To: hussein ally <[link removed]>
Sent: Friday, August 2, 2013 2:40 PM
Subject: RE: only once we receive payment on the sales invoice

Dear Mr. Sultani,

There is no question included as part of this email, so I'm not sure what action you might be expecting. If you have a question, please let me know what that question might be, and I can respond.

Sincerely,
Michael Knapp
Author Services Representative

Read our blog at [link removed]
Like us at [link removed]
Follow us at [link removed]
Link to us at [link removed]

In our efforts to provide clear and concise communication to our authors, we ask that you consolidate your questions or concerns into as few emails as possible. Please be assured that we will respond to your email in a timely manner, and duplicate emails are not necessary.

? Would you like to learn more about how to harness the knowledge and expertise of your LinkedIn network?
Search for answers to common questions on the LinkedIn Help Center.
Visit our LinkedIn Company Page and our Facebook Page.
Check out our New Features Blog and follow us on Twitter®.

LinkedIn values your privacy. At no time has LinkedIn made your email address available to any other LinkedIn user without your permission.
LinkedIn Corporation © 2013 | Privacy Policy | User Agreement | Copyright Policy
 11th of Sep, 2013 by   Leonard McMillian 0 Votes
Before with Dorrance Publishing you publish a book,
Please!!! have an attorney take a good look.
Like the virus protection tells you WHOA!!!
This is not a place you should go.
Listen
 4th of Jan, 2014 by   CCnothappy 0 Votes
Listen you dumb bunnies real authors don't pay anything they get paid so stop being dumb.
 4th of Jan, 2014 by   CCnothappy 0 Votes
Listen you bunnies real authors don't pay anything they get paid so stop being dumob.
 4th of Jan, 2014 by   CCnothappy 0 Votes
This is not real publishing in any way shape or form why do you people not realize this? Real publishers never ask writers for a dime. They PAY them but your book has to be good enough.
 5th of Mar, 2014 by   afin7 0 Votes
its a big scam i sent my full mauscript in and they said they had never recieved my story and i have my files saved all on my computer can i sue these bastards everytime i call they say they never received it im going to call a lawyer for copyright infringement some man i talked to from the company told me no need to be copywritten we would send it back to you then afta they stole it they sent a letter sayign didnt receive it was erotic fiction and the people on here saying its not a scan i bet u work for dorrance
 5th of Mar, 2014 by   afin7 0 Votes
when i send it in to copyright office they can let me know if they tried to steal and i got evidence and emailed myself my story so they in big trouble uma try to sew the fuk out their company

Useful Information About Overdraft Fees