logo

Michael Ray - The Artist
scam for money
3. (38 mins ago)
Lal Kitab Aamrit
Fraud Pandit (GD Vashist)
4. (1 hr 1 mins ago)
Facial Improvements

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Dish Network Complaints & Reviews - Horrendous customer service!

Dish Network Contacts & Informations

Dish Network

Posted:    Jeremy Talcott

Horrendous customer service!

I was an unfortunate customer of Dish Network for about 6 months last year, and the ordeal has still not ended. I decided on satellite television because I wanted to have access to the World Cup games and I also was happy that I would be able to get some College Football games that were PPV only. I had no real complaints for the first few months, the reception was good and I was able to watch the World Cup. The problems began when I first tried to get a PPV game. The channels that were needed were not appearing in my channel guide, so I called. I was reassured that ordering the games online would allow me to view them even if I did not see the channels listed, despite the fact that the "Purchase This Event" listing online specifically said that if the channels did not appear you would not be able to view the game. To say the least, I was skeptical of the veracity of the information I was being told. I finally realized that the only way to get any service with Dish Network is to call the new customer line, you are then transferred to an agent in the United States instead of an outsourcing center. She quickly ran me through a few menus on the dish and determined that my satellite dish had not been properly set up and I would need a technician. Because it was more than 90 days since the dish had been installed, I was charged $50 for the service trip. I called a few other times for various items involved with ordering games, and never had a pleasant customer service experience on the phone, but I won't list them all. The final straw was when I decided to move to a new apartment. I was told on the phone that it would cost me $100 to move to a new apartment (despite the fact that it already had dishes installed) unless I wanted to sign up for another 18 month commitment. I asked how much the cancellation fee was, and it was only $140, so the choice was quite easy for me. At that point I was transferred to an account specialist who tried to tell me that I had been misinformed and I could move at no cost, but my mind had been made up and I said I would really just prefer to end my time with Dish Network. She then spent the next 20 minutes on the phone berating me, asking "why would you want to pay more for cable" and telling me "I'm only trying to save you money, why do you have such a problem with saving money." I tried to calmly reply that any amount of money was worth never talking on the phone with any of their service people again, but she had little to no interest in listening to me, odd when my entire reason for quitting was the poor level of customer service I had received throughout my time with them. Regardless, she changed my information and promised that they would ship boxes to my new address so that I could return the equipment, and that I would be charged the full amount if I did not return it within 30 days. Of course, the boxes never arrived. I have since called twice to inform them, and at first I was told the boxes would be reshipped (didn't happen) and then I was told that I would be shipped an envelope with some labels that I could use to ship the equipment back in my own box (never arrived). My account has now been charged and additional $400 which Dish Network did me the courtesy of debiting directly from my bank account (I had originally set up automatic payments) despite the fact that I have called them so many times. After screaming my way through four levels of customer service in India today, during which time I was alternately told that a)the boxes could only be shipped to my old address and I should have somehow picked them up from UPS at a place I no longer lived, b)I had ample time to return the boxes and it was my fault, and c)they could always reship some more boxes as a "courtesy" but I would still be charged full price for the equipment, I finally was transferred to someone in America who was at least willing to refund the $400 - which will take 3-5 days - and reship boxes so that I can finally return the equipment. As am amazing side note, my new address was still in the system incorrectly, despite the many times I have called to try and correct it. I am not sure yet whether I will ever receive them or if the only resolution will be to file in small claims court, which will be my next step. I can not emphasize enough how unhappy I have been having ever dealt with Dish Network, and I will never do business with them or any company that I discover is affiliated with them again in my life.
Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Apr, 2007 by   Jaylene Newby +1 Votes
I know all the complaints about Dish Network are true. 4 of us signed up because the cable company left. All 4 of us have experience nothing but a headache with Dish, they totally false advertise, cheat, cust. service people lie and lie, been overcharged every month, all of us and they even charged on one person cc without consent and for no reason but to cheat my neighbor. Its bad, they need to be liable and I want to place a class action lawsuit to put a stop to them because they are literally making illegal billions of dollars off of false advertising and billing wrong and signing contracts for those of us who never signed a contract and now want to falsely bill for something we never signed up for. They really need to be stopped, sure wish someone would help us, tv or a good lawyer...
 19th of Jul, 2007 by   Bill Steele 0 Votes
As of last Thursday they removed 9 channels from my pay lineup (I pay for all my channels) They are the channels from TMG (Media Group) This is the second time this year they have done this and not compensated me for the loss of programming. To those considering Dish, beware...
 7th of Oct, 2007 by   TAMEEKA NICHOLSON 0 Votes
I TOTALLY AGREE THAT DISH NETWORK SUCKS. I'VE BEEN WITH THEM SINCE 9-30-06. APPARENTLY WHEN I SIGNED UP WITH THEM, WE PAID THE CONNECTION FEE ON MY SISTER'S DEBIT CARD. THAT WAS A ONE TIME DEAL ONLY. ALL FURTHER PAYMENTS WAS THROUGH BILL PAY. RECENTLY I HAVE NOT PAID MY BILL FOR 2 MONTHS. THEY TOOK $93 DOLLARS FROM MY SISTER'S DEBIT CARD. WE CALLED TO FIND OUT WHY THIS HAPPENED AND THEY EXPLAINED THAT PER THEIR CONTRACT, IF THERE ARE ANY MONEY OWED OR IF THE SERVICE IS CANCELLED THEY ARE AUTHED TO DO THIS. IMMEDIATELY I ASKED THEM WHAT CONTRACT BECAUSE I NEVER REC'D A CONTRACT FROM ANYONE. I WOULD NOT HAVE HONORED A CONTRACT WHERE I HAD TO SELL MYSELF FOR THE NEXT 18 MONTHS. THIS ISSUE IS IN DISPUTE RIGHT NOW. THEM THESE SOB'S TURNED AROUND AND TOOK $600 FROM HER CREDIT CARD AGAIN, MAKING HER CHECKING ACCT BOUNCE. I ASKED THEM WHY DID THIS HAPPEN WHEN YOU JUST TOLD ME BXS ARE COMING 2 DAYS AGO. THE REP STATES WE HAVE GIVEN YOU AMPLE TIME TO RETRN THE BXS. I SAID NO, YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING TO SEE IF I WAS PAYING THE BILL NOT TO UNLAWFULLY TAKE FROM A DWEBIT ACCT THAT IS NOT IN MY NAME. I HAD TO PAY $40 TO SHIP BACK THEIR EQUIPMENT SO THAT MY SIS CAN GET THE CREDIT BACK ON HER DEBIT CARD. AND THEY WILL NOT GIVE CREDIT UNTIL THE EQUIPMENT IS IN THEIR HANDS.
 24th of Apr, 2008 by   Gary 0 Votes
I have been a subscriber for 4 months of which the last 3 bills have had overcharges. They were supposed to provide 6 months free HD and 3 months free HBO/MAX, and each month I have to call them to get them to make corrections. Then they don't make the corrections they say they are going to make. In one month alone they overcharged me $60 and they wanted to spread out the credits to $20/month for 3 months. no way! I told them to give me the credit now because I don't want to pay that up front just for them to provide credits in months to come. Plus they do this to make the bill even more confusing. Full of lies so far and very dissatisfied.
 4th of May, 2008 by   Terrie 0 Votes
On 2/9/08 Dish Network sent out a contractor to my house to install satellite. He worked from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm with out stopping or taking a break. I have asked him several times through out the day that he should take a break and I brought him water he refused. I did notice by the end of the day his working practices started becoming unsafe. He wanted to wire the satellite wire at the main entrance in my garage under hardwood flooring which would eventually come out and hurt someone. I told him no he can not do that the floor is not glued down.

After he left my house I started having hard outages on my house. What I mean by hard outages is that when the power went out you could hear a surge sorrowing through my house as the power went out. This happened constantly everyday numerous of times in one day. My husband would have to go outside and switch the beaker switches to get the power to come back on.

I called dish to come out and look at what the problem was because it only started after they connected their services to my house. They sent a Technician out on 3/29/08 and the technician told my husband he needs to replace a couple of breakers. My husband replaced the couple of breakers but the power still was having hard outages. Though out the day and throughout the night.

I called dish again and told them this is dangerous their ground is wired wrong to my house and you need someone out here to fix this. The second technician came out on 3/3/08 and said we need to call an electrician. The technician did nothing but left.

I called them again and told them they need to remove their ground from my breaker box before it burns down. They sent another technician to my house on 4/5/08.

I called dish 4/4/08 and talked to a guy named Seth, I wanted to know if they would be held reliable for the damage it caused it my house he told me snobbishly that I would have to prove it. I went out and took pictures of their ground and the TV box located next to my breaker box.

When their technician arrived he told us that they had a meeting at work that morning regarding grounding. He said that a customer got electrocuted the day before because of a bad ground one of their technicians has done. He told us the company said if the ground is bad just too undue the ground and leave it ungrounded. He undid the ground and we waited for 15 minutes to see if the power would go out. The power did not go out, the technician left, and about 30 minutes after he left the power went out very softly and turned back on, on its own. I have not had not had any power outage since.

I talked to the damage department regarding my electricity to my house because of their bad grounding. They sent a Claims adjuster to my house by the name of Matt. I was not home when he came he did not call me to let me know he was coming. I had friends at my house at the time. They let him in and he took pictures of my 4 televisions sets and told me the reason why they are denying the claim is because I have 4 televisions. I called PG&E and talked to PG&E regarding the televisions and asked them if that could hurt my house. They told me, 4 televisions in my home can not hurt could not hurt my home. My power box is designed to withhold that many televisions. I talked to an electrician at my work and he told me that a bad ground can cause the damage to my house.

Jeff at Dish network told me that he believed the ground is what created the problem and caused the damage to my house. But his electrical engineer said because I had the one outage after the technician left on 4/5/08 that the problem was not because of them. The breaker was weaken and on the verge of going out and that is why it had a soft shut off and not a hard one. I have not had an outage since so that shows dish network created the problem.

I called dish and cancelled telling them that since they do not want to own up to the damage they have caused to my power box I do not want them on my house. The representative that helped me cancelled my service and he told me I would not be charged for anything as long as I return the boxes back to dish. I returned the boxes on 5/9/08 I received the box just a couple days before.

They are now charging me $295.00 dollars and are threatening to turn me into a collection agency. I am refusing to pay them they cost me more money than that.

What about the next person’s home they hook up too with a bad ground might not know or understand the seriousness of what it could do to their home. I know I am angry with Dish Network but my anger is beside the problem. I am still very concerned on what damage they have caused to my house and I worry when the main breaker box actually completely breaks or the wiring in my walls actually catch on fire, I can not afford to fix this or pay someone right now. I might be just the little guy but what about the next person who doesn’t know about the dangers and leaves ignores the signals of the bad ground on their house and their house catches on fire. They have already electrocuted one of their own customers. Next it could cost lives I do not think a life is replaceable.
 23rd of Aug, 2008 by   JOHN -1 Votes
I have had dish for 5 years and 8 months...and I got tired of reading all this mumbo jumbo you people write... ok obviously if you don't pay anything your more than likley in a contract... as per who ever wrote that they charged your sisters credit card... they have the right to do that becuase if you look at your contract which is with all the paper work that you people signed when you got installed it states there that the " credit card used to qualify the account will be charged for any cancellation fee and non returned equipment " I have confreneced a call with about 9 relatives and I always remember that when they signed up that they ask them while doing a credit check those disclosures. You folk just think the best for you but you have to understand what your signing and read the fine prints. I guess you are not educated enough to do that.
 26th of Aug, 2008 by   Donald Tackett +1 Votes
I had 600.00 debited from my account without my authorization by this dishonest company. I will never do business with this company again. I will tell all of my friends to think twice before doing business with a shady company.
 27th of Aug, 2008 by   Codie Ray 0 Votes
I was a Dish customer for about 3 years the first time. I moved and when we decided to get satalite again, we chose to go with DirecTv. We moved after having them for about 2 years, and dumbie me- We went with Dish again. We have not have Dish for a full year and out of that time period, we probably have had maybe 2-3 months of good reception.
Up until this time the tech would be out here within a da or 2. (And the tech had to come 100 miles in order to fix the problem.) This time it will be 5-6 days. (Now they live in the same town.)
They don't care about customer service. I have been hung up on at least 5 times in the past 2 days.
As soon as we are able to, we will be cancelling with Dish forever. I did have problems with DirecTv. But, they do know the words Customer Service.
If anyone hears of a class action lawsuit, send them my way.
 28th of Aug, 2008 by   bobby bowen 0 Votes
I have a complaint of myself I own property located at 5816 w 30th space 2 odessa texas, when my renter hired dish for there entertainment needs, i agreed as long as installed on a pole in the yard, the installers ignored my renter when she told them to
use the pole in the back yard and not to put the dish on the mobile home the installers ignored her and installed on the southwest
eve of the home. Dish of course will not speak with me as i am not there customer they will not take my calls even though there
is damage to my home now, when my renter contacted dish to have the satt moved she was told it would be moved without charge and the home would be repaired of course this did not happen my renter was charged by the installer to move the satt asked to be paid in cash or would not move the unit and did not give my tenant a receipt, they placed some silicone in the holes where the dish is removed but of course this does not take care of the damage to my home and i can not speak to any one as they
totally ignore the owner of the property they are only interested in the money they receive for the programming, i want to speak with a manager and i want the piece of wood replaced on the side of the home re weather stripped and painted at dish expense not mine of course i probably will never hear from any one as i am only the owner of the property
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   mail2brs +1 Votes
For the past 10 days I have been undergoing this pain of talking to DishNetwork, who damaged my property while upgrading their satellite system.

The technician did not finish his job, but ended up making so many holes of his mistake (around 24), without weather sealing some, which affected around 10 sidings and I suspect that may cause damage to my exterior wall and end up in big repair work.

Now the status of our cable TV is broken, the technician, left all screws, washers, cables, cables are hanging, sharp edged items, garbages on my yard, which is highly risky for the children, if they accidently swallow any one of those parts. we were also concern if there is any electricity passing in those.

I have been trying to explain this to the customer support people in dish network, which did not bring me any luck fixing the damage, where as I ended up spending hours on the telephone. this is very stressfull and mental torture of our family. we lost all important things like presidential debate on the TV.

In order to solve this issue I contacted the following department, but I came to know that no one controls the satelite TV ( no regulatory board). the cable TV dept said they can take action only on any cable running on the street and I am helpless.

732-745-3875 - consumer affairs (middlesex county)
973-504-6200 (state consumer affair)
1-800-624-0331 ( cable television board)

finally I contacted home new tribune and they directed me to contact the state or BBB.

then I contact 973-648-2026 - public utility no luck

and contacted 1-800-242-5846, where I was asked to send a complain written with evidence. to Division of Consumer affairs, P.O. Box 45025, newark, NJ 07101.

I am so surprised to know, that there is no board to control the Satelite network (DIshnetwork..). and we the customers are being exploited by this kind of damages. Do we need to suffer like this?. Is there no one to help us.

I dont know how to handle this, Do I need to call the cops and report the damage?. And I dont know how many people have time and energy to handle this kind of issues.
 8th of Feb, 2009 by   dish sux +1 Votes
I agree with almost everyone!!! We have had dish network for around three months and they have over charged us every month. They told us that it was going the $20.00 less than what they are now taking out of our checkings. We called to tell them that there was a mistake and they said that it was not a mistake, that is how much it was going to be each month. We were really confused because, if we had known this we would had never agree to such a high monthly cable bill. We are now stuck with this bill for two years!!! Please think twice before going with dish. They will cheat you and lie to you. so BEWARE< BWWARE ! Report Spam
 7th of May, 2009 by   buy american +1 Votes
DISH Network is without a doubt one of the worst companies in existence. Horrible, horrible customer service. And I love how those reps you talk with that are in another country and you can hardly understand them but yet they just have the most generic American names... Yeah right.

It is a shame that they are outsourcing jobs and you have to call and talk with someone as I did last night in the Phillipines (last time I checked the US State Dept had a travel advisory issued for the Phillipines) yet that is where I have to call for my Dish package here in the states. Unreal. I was so mad last night I could have spit nails.
 30th of Nov, 2009 by   shebear +1 Votes
I will never get satilite again, it's been a nightmare and I feel it's nothing but a rip off. My son sign up through dish, it's called wild blue, we didn't have a choose to start out with because we live out of town, 23 miles, wow, you would think that phone company or cable would be able to get service if we moved two miles down we could have gotten. What a shocking news. So they came out didn't tells us it was going to cause us 150 for a pole 150.00 oh and a box came nothing didn't say do not open this box nothing said my son opened the box anther shock. They said they were going to charge him and wasn't respondible for that dish. They came out to put in the pole that cost 150.00 nothing fancy about this pole put it in than it's pointing at the house a tin roof under wires it's about two feet about, we have had problems my son told them that he wanted it moved, they said it would cost 98.00 to have it. we have had it for over a month now it's been nothing but slow we have called and called. one night it was so slow I called, they said that we did a lot of downloading or up loading oh I was mad I wanted to throw the think out the window and if I could have gone through the phone I would have that night. I told them no we have not, they said we have done 200 g and that if we had cable that we would have been charged for doing any up loading or downloading oh again I was mad, I old them sir I have lived in a few states lived many places and never in my life have I ever heard of that, I have kids and you know kids, never never. I had different services of cable companies and never heard of that in my life. He was trying to continue to say, than he said that someone had to hack in, Oh I was mad we did a compete look into our computer and there was nothing. It was slower than dail up, which I never ran into that before until out here, I have it before but mainly dsl, but any how my son has called them over and over we are not getting the speed we are suppose to be getting, and they still have not come out moved the pole. Oh I will never get satilite again never. And I feel that we need jobs than they should get jobs going for people phone and cable companies to get services out to people so they can have the right to choose what they want. I couldn't believe I can have a phone but I can't believe I can't have dsl and we don't have cable if only if we lived two miles and we have neighbors what is two miles. This I don't understand. And I feel that the satilite company dish or who ever it is because we can't find out because dish is saying it's not them but it was through them when my son signed up and he has been trying to call the main company and gets the run around. He has put out a lot of money and to me it's nothing but a rip off and it's ripping people off. And it's wrong totally and on top it is so frustrating when your on the net trying to do anything and you can't you can't even get to your e-mail half of the time that is frustrating. totally than what you can express.
 15th of Dec, 2009 by   Geezerkatz 0 Votes
Is anyone out there having issues with the VIP 722DVR set up for the Seagate Showcase 500gb expander (a feature by which you can archive High Def material if you are willing to buy the expander from Seagate ($140)?

Dish promotes this feature online! I've got expensive unresolved probems.
 20th of Jan, 2010 by   One happy customer 0 Votes
Donna, I have been with dish network since it started and have never had an issue with customer service. Did you come across ed angry from the get go? I feel sorry for people like you didn't your mother teach you if you can not say anything good about a company or an other person it is better to say nothing.
As far as being charged for service calls, do you have the ordasity to think they should do it for nothing, get real lady. If they did not have the repair customer service whom do you think pays for it. It sound like you are just an angry person with no compassion what so ever. These people need to buy gas and groceries for their family. I have had them call me at 9pm and asked if he could come fix the problem and I certainly said yes, Dish Network stated this would be fixed by that date and they were. If your mad a dish you will not like Direct TV too. And of course you sound like one of these kind of people whom find anything to bitch about
And as for Tareeqa, why not just cancel your contract and move on to another form of hook up which I am sure you will be just as regretful. When you go in looking for something wrong you can really blow it out of proportion as to where you actually believe. It is so much easier to belly ache than have your attitude. All I can say is move one. I am sure Disk can get along without your big mouth.
And to SHEBEAR? What are you doing letting your son or Dish, as a parent you are in charge of that. We also are located way out of town and get no cell, but thanks to Dish we get great TV. Do you truly believe that they should do it for free. Get real, they have families too, hopeful they take better care of what there kids and do not let them order things without there purmission. Sounds like you need to blame but your self and your neglecting your responsibility to teach your son better than your have.
All you had to do is call Dish and tell them that your son have ordered it and they would have cancelled it. I lived next door to a Dish Network employee and this guy some times leaves before dawn and does not get home till 7 or 8 pm. Cou you handle a shift like that, I doubt that.
Take better care of your son Ir at least teach him right from wrong. You sound like on of those parents that expects other to take care of your son and teach him. I truthfully feel sad for a person such as your self who does not bring up there children right from wrong when he is hom.
 28th of Feb, 2010 by   Jawbreaker 0 Votes
Dish just sucks. What a ripp off company with poor customer service and belligernt attitudes. They mislead all the folk who sign up and then use every opportunity to stick it to them. Never again.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   Msnice2010 0 Votes
Dish network are thieving Mother****, I think if everybody canceled or left dish network there stockes would fall and they would have no choice but to go out of buisness. I've contacted there corporate office 303-723-1000, the Security and Exchange Commision 888-723-6585 and now I'm fixing to go to the Police and file a report for theft of service. This is rediculous and I 'm sick of douch network. To everybody out there with the same problem keep all receipts so you have proof of there wrong doing's.
 19th of Apr, 2010 by   Dish hater 0 Votes
Dear One Happy Customer,
I had Direct T.V. for 6 yrs. and my only complaint was the rising cost . Well everything goes up . I switched to Dish, and for 4 months have had non-stop -billing and customer service problems . If you are fortunate enough to not be having any issues, you are 1 of very few . But after reading your comment I believe you are an ostrich with your head buried in the sand and probably voted for OBAMA THE GREAT !!! God save your soul
 16th of May, 2010 by   sms81 0 Votes
If you have a recent complaint against the two year contract bullying by Dish...consider joining the Facebook Group - People Against Dish Network.
 22nd of May, 2010 by   Diana Basel 0 Votes
A 12 month nightmare!!! Couldn't take it anymore and cancelled service. Now they want $17 per month for the remaining 12 months I had left. My contract reads $10 per month! After calling them for the 13th month they told me they changed their fee to $17 per month and good luck getting out of it. I have NEVER dealt with a more unethical, scamming, immoral, heartless, careless, arrogant, piece of Sh...t company in my life! Oh yah, and the contract that is given to you is the finest print possible on faded pink paper and three pages long! Try taking time to read that while the service tech is standing impatiently by, waiting to go to his next job. There is nothing in that contract that protects the customer in any way! Attention new customers: DON'T SIGN ANYTHING!

Advice From 1998 - Bottled Water