logo

DirecTv Sucks

DirecTv
Massachusetts
directv.com
I had DirecTv at my last rental property. I had the service from June 2007 till I put the account on hold for 6 months, in October of 2009, with a $68 credit on my account. Even tho I spent big $$$$ on the 3 boxes I had at the house, one a DVR, I was told I had to send them all back or get charged for them upon cancelation. (thought I was already charged for them?) So March I called to cancel the account (making constant reminders so I wouldnt forget, cause they didnt call)

So I was on Vacation at the time and didnt get home for a couple of weeks. Called and asked if that was ok to wait to send the boxes and it was, according to the lady I talked to. They sent me return boxes, and when I got home, there was only a return box for one box. So I called. They said now I only owed one box, the DVR. (yay, small victory) So I sent the box when I got home.

In the meantime they charged me for a month of service at a house that I dont live at anymore. They also charged me $175 for the box I "never" returned. With FedEx tracking number in tow, I called, they finially reversed the fee for the extra month, and said that eventually the charge for the box would get removed. HA.

So then, I think because I had that pesky little credit on my account, they charged me $60 for an early cancelation fee. But I have had my account for 2+years you say?, even over and above the 6 month suspension? But that loyalty does not count. Cause in June 2008 I purchased another box and paid for another room and I canceled the account in October 2009, 2 months shy of the December contract which aparently got renewed with the new box. Now they NEVER told me I had a new contract, cause I had planned my move out date accordinly not to have these charges, with any of my uitilities. So after 3 years with DirecTv, they still wouldnt help me out.

"Well it is now our policy to inform our customers of that." said the lady.
"Well what about people who you did not tell?" Says I
"Well we should have told you." says the lady.
"Huh? So you should have?" says I.
"Yes Mamn." Says she.
"but you didnt?" Says me.
"No Mamn."
"So I still have to pay the fee.
"Yes mamn."

"Best in Customer Satisfaction" my rear end! So you pay if you do and you pay if you dont. Please look elsewhere for TV service. I know that DTV has all the good chanels, but you pay dearly. THey have sooooooo many fees, it is rediculous. Better yet, buy some books! Or some movies! Or a good internet connection so you dont need those greedy bastards at all!
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Mar, 2010 by   Becky hates DirecTv 0 Votes
PS: I was paying $120 a month for service. Which was not the best, if a bird flew buy or hevens to betsy it rained, NO service!
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   Jen 0 Votes
Direct tv sucks. They show the same programs and movies over and over. I am going to cancel mine soon.
 24th of May, 2010 by   unchienne -1 Votes
1. The DTV lease agreement, which was sent out to you when you signed up and any additions and changes were mailed out with your bill, states that activating a new, leased box puts you into another contract. Why people never read this stuff when it comes in is beyond me. No wonder we all get scr@wed over by credit card companies and the like. We need big daddy government to step in and protect us from ourselves and our laziness.

2. Jen, you need to educate yourself. Directv is a carrier company. They IN NO WAY influence what is shown on these different channels. So you if plan on canceling and going to someone "better" in this regard, you're going to be in for a pleasant surprise. Got a problem with reruns, here's a novel idea...try contacting the actual station who decides what to air.

3. I have DTV. The service is about the same as Becky. It goes out when it rains. But I knew I had 24 hours to test the service and it was fine. Granted, no rain during that testing time, but I don't live in Seattle. At most, it's an uncommon nuisance, and I know now that once my contract ends, I'll move onto someone else. Big whoop. At least I have a choice in the matter. My electric company has so many flash outtages that I don't even bother programming any electronic clocks on my appliances anymore, and I can't even switch from them. It's not like it's costing me some huge amount of money. The new customer offer more than compensates me for an occasional outtage, which rarely happens right as I'm watching or recording a show. These events stand out vividly b/c we're upset when they happen, but if you compare it to the times you watch your program without interruption, it's so small a percentage as to leave you looking petty in the end. Once my 2 years expires, I'm heading over to Dish...as is my right as an informed consumer...but though DTV wasn't a good fit for me, I'm not going to demonize them.

Any what is up with people thinking that any form of payment is ownership? It's leased. Do you go on a car lot, pick out a leased car, and pay nothing for it ever? A lease fee is usually cheaper than a purchase fee. So unless you spent around 500 dollars for that sucker, it was leased. Why is it so expensive? It might be a piece of crap, but fact is that these things are mini computers. I'm not fond of them. Too much lag when changing channels or pulling up the menu. Badly designed or not, I do realize they cost a little bit of money to make and then there's the overhead of faulty, lost, damaged equip and such...

There are some people on this board that were really messed over by DTV...IMO, this isn't the case here. Every problem you mentioned would have been prevented by reading your customer agreement. And if yours got misplaced, you should have asked for another one to be sent. I'm not admonishing you b/c I look down on you. I just navigated myself out of a huge financial mess with a CC company for the same reason. We all know about fine print. It's not exactly a secret that companies use this method in order to include the ugly side of their business or because there's too much info there to include in every call to cover every situation. As such, every customer in the US should make it their mission to read it. If they don't, whatever befalls is their own fault.
 30th of Aug, 2010 by   OliveOyl96 0 Votes
I have my own issues with Directv. They claim to have hundreds of channels. What they don't tell you is that most of the channels are the ones NO ONE watches. They do have hundreds of channels, but most of those channels (like 90% of them) are infomercial channels and home shopping networks. When I called to complain about it, I was told that the only option I have is to block those channels because they can't remove them from a package, and they NO packages without infomercial channels.
 31st of Aug, 2010 by   unchienne 0 Votes
Yeah, and their commercials state that they have hundreds more channels in their base package than Dish...without revealing that it's because DTV considers it's base package to be Choice, which is 60.00 while Dish's basic package is 34.00 (both at regular price). Yeah, if you pay double, you will probably get more channels. LoL. But if you compare them side by side, you'd see that even the package that lines really lines up with Dish's basic (it's called DTV Select) has fewer "real" channels like Lifetime and Syfy and more informercials...plus theirs is 39.99, so you're still paying more for less. DTV is sneakier than most places, I agree. I tend to think of them as having the mentality of a used car lot. I'll never go back to them once my contract expires; however, I still think a lot of issues (not all, but a lot) could be prevented with some proactive measures taken by customers.
 23rd of Dec, 2010 by   DIRECTV THIEVES 0 Votes
DIRECTV THEY'RE THIEVES
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   Steve_in_STL 0 Votes
I just canceled my DirecTV after over four years of service. Why? Prices kept going up and not really happy with what they offered. Local cable offered a better deal. Guess what? DirecTV is still requiring me to return the receivers. I had to buy the boxes (2 HD and 1 DVR), including one HD box a few months after starting service at Best Buy. Even though I've been in my current residence over 3 years with no upgrades, I still have to return the boxes. Even though I never got the promised rebate when I first ordered, I still have to return the boxes. If you are thinking of switching to DirecTV because of the NFL package, it has gone from $219 in 2005 to $300 in 2010. Can you say monopoly? Make sure your congressman can.
 2nd of May, 2011 by   Maj57 0 Votes
I can't believe how horrible the service is with Directv. They require a credit card to open an account. They give ficticious credit of $37 per month the first year so they can jack your rate up by $37 a month after that year. I live in an apartment building which only allows directv. So now I am paying $70 a month for their Choice package. They offered me a cheaper "select" plan over the phonwith crappy stations. That option isn't shown on their website. The website offers email to customer service but it won't send the message. I had Comcast in Minnesota and only paid $40 per month for combined TV and internet service.
 23rd of Jun, 2011 by   Greg Palmer 0 Votes
Yeah I had the same problem with the recovery kits. They said that they had sent it twice but neither time did we get the recovery kit, and they claimed they couldn't send it to the P.O. Box. They ended up trying to charge us for it and wouldn't fix the problem until we'd finally cursed them out and told them no matter what, we weren't gonna pay for the box that they didn't send the recovery kit for.
 15th of Mar, 2012 by   K_Beemer 0 Votes
if you ever have equipment you needed returned, and you see a DirecTV van, flag the driver down and give the boxes to them and they will return it to the warehouse where the devices will get deactivated off of your account, otherwise be responsible for your own sake and keep calling, never refrain from requesting a supervisor if you aren't being properly addressed! Also, if you are entirely fed up with DirecTV, just switch to something else, that is your right as a consumer and no one will stop you! On a very important note, DirecTV isn't responsible for the programming that these channels have on them, that is controlled by the networks producing those programmings, if you want to see a change, talk to them and make it happen. "unchienne" made the perfect statement about everything in their post above, so give it a read! I work for the company as an installation technician and I will say flat out that we have the absolute best customers, , and I am proud of that. We've taken great strides forward over the last year under new leadership to help propel our customer service into the future, positively, and much is being done to further that ambition. Just remember, if you have been with the company for years, or just got it installed and are not happy, there are so many creative channels available for you to be heard. This is a place for that, however it seems it's been more of a ventilation zone for most! I reside in the Seattle market! Hope only for the best for everyone here. Stay dry!
 23rd of May, 2012 by   sewsewgrandma 0 Votes
Person above must work for Directv. They totally suck. I have been a customer for over 8 years. In thee past 6 monthes my husband was hospitalized twice with bills totaling over $100, 00 and no insurance. I also lost a grand baby who died 1 hour after birth just 3 months ago. It has been a stressful year. Being financially strapped, I had to disconnect service. Well they state that I owe them $144.80. Service was disconnected in March. I paid using my new credit card, which by the way I had to go get because my bank put a hard freeze on the other one because someone was in another state trying to use it to charge hotel rooms. This was on the day of my grandsons funeral. So I know I paid in February because he was born on January 30th and buried a couple days later, hence the new card was not active until February. Well after disconnection, I kept getting harassing phone calls, not polite. I tried to explain the situation and offered to make some arrangements. Well low and behold, they permanently disconnected my service at the end of April which was fine. But after going to the bank Monday to deposit money to pay off 2 of the medical bills---I get online to pay and discover I don't have the funds. Directv took the $144.80 out of my account without authorization. Contacted them and the first lady was extremely nice, especially since I was delirious and in tears. Then was connected with billing. What bleeps! After finally getting no where withe the first lady, asked to speak to a supervisor which was worst. Explained the situation to her and was told that when I called and put the credit card on file, I was told that if any money was owed, they would do that. Told her in no uncertain terms that I did not call and put a credit card on file, had just paid my February bill with one. Told her that I wanted to see the paperwork, etc. agreeing to this. Never signed up for direct bill pay or recurring payments.Went round and round for about 30 minutes to no avail. Finally was told to go to the bank and file paperwork, which I had already tried but the payment was still pending. Told her that I was going to and if that didn't work they would be hearing from an attorney. Also told her that when I decided to jump off the overpass by my house, I would make sure my children sued them for everything they are worth. I have been under so much stress and Directv just thinks they can do whatever they please. But on top of that, I just left the bank and it may just work. I filed the paperwork anyway but was told that since I owed them money, I may not get it back. These large companies can just screw the little folks with no way for us to fight back. I do understand that I owe them some money, not what they say, and tried to make some arrangements. But no, that was not good enough for them. When lying face down in the dirt, they have to come along and step on your head and push your face harder in the dirt. Also told teem to come pick up their dishes--yes dishes--since they were too lazy to move the old one when I went to HD. If they don't I am going to take a hammer and smash them to pieces and throw them into the woods. The receivers are mine. I paid for them. Then they can try to get money out of my account because I put a block on the old card and had it destroyed and was issued a new one. No HA! to you Directv!!! You won't screw me again. Sue if you like. What are you going to get. I have nothing. Every penny goes out on medical bills. Not even enough to buy groceries. My dad had been giving me money to pay the light bill. If not for the kindness of others----which is not Directv---I would have jumped off from that overpass.
 23rd of May, 2012 by   sewsewgrandma 0 Votes
Sorry I didn't see that he stated he was an installer. Have nothing against them but the customer service representatives in the billing department SUCK!!! The customer service department was okay but once you get to billing, they think they are mightier than thou. What happens when you put idiots in a role of power. But what goes around, comes around. Everyone needs to remember the Lord giveth and he can also take away. Remember who you step on climbing up that ladder. You will see them as you fall and they might not be willing to reach out a hand to help save you.
 25th of Aug, 2012 by   ElleV 0 Votes
Directv is a piece of *** company, I've had their service and even worked for the company for a brief period. I quit right after training. They have no code of ethics, they don't give a *** about their customers or employees. They don't make much money from the packages so they will find other ways of squeezing their customers. They will charge your card even without prior authorization because you have the card on file. Beware of their sneaky practices, you have no idea what you are agreeing to in that contract. They can charge your card without your knowledge or consent. They are greedy unconscionable bastards. They don't give a *** about their service or customer service. I called those dumb bastards 3x to pick up their receivers for the past 3 months and they still haven't sent the recovery kit. I told them since they haven't sent the kit after 3 requests they can come pick it up from the curb cause I'm throwing them away. DIRECTV IS A PIECE OF SHIT COMPANY RUN BY DUMB ASS IDIOTS!!!1
 31st of Dec, 2012 by   dipshit 0 Votes
Complete rip off from day one. Can't wait til contract is over!
 9th of Mar, 2013 by   djailer +1 Votes
We just switched to DirectTV - not my idea but...Well tonight I was going to lay back and relax and watch bad sci-fi movies. Ooops, Sorry no go. Try the Self Test. Error, Error... No internet connection? What? It worked last night. Well, sort of. Kept stopping and telling me my blazing internet connection was too slow to show a movie on. BS, by the way. I tested my up and download speeds - they are still fast. But it is true...there is no connection showing to my wireless router for the box. I called Customer Service and she politely informed me that there is a technical problem and the engineers are working on it. OK, things break. What about a credit for lost service? No, we don't do that. OnDemand is a free service and we can't credit you for something you don't pay for. WHAT?? We are paying $50/mo. or something like that to get TV channels..to include the free movie channels. My choice is to watch David Letterman or 30 channels of infomercials and fitness channels. DIRECTTV sucks!!!
 12th of Nov, 2013 by   muddyhair 0 Votes
I totally agree DIRECTTV SUCKS they automatically took out of my bank account a month earlier then the salesperson told which caused me two overdraft charges. I cant watch a recording in my room if someone is watching a recording in another room. My basic channels (ABC NBC CBS etc.) are not in HD. Even though when i had Dish they were. I wish I did not switch. Now I am stuck with DIRECT for 2 yrs. And then in 3 months I have to Pay for the HBO SHOWTIME AND CINEMAX channels. so mad at myself

Lottery Fraud