logo

Chevrolet Online Lottery
Winning notification
4. (1 hr 18 mins ago)
Matrix Cellular
A variety of plans to cater to all your needs
5. (1 hr 18 mins ago)
Gphelp247.com
$34.95 showed up on my credit card. I do not know this site.

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Direct TV Complaints & Reviews - Stay away - Direct TV sucks!

Direct TV Contacts & Informations

Direct TV

Posted:    Steven Lowry

Stay away - Direct TV sucks!

My friend and I had been considering changing from cable to Direct TV. Since my friend is from the Ukraine, she was very interested in the Russian channels offered by Direct TV, I called Direct TV to inquire about the channels. After I called and talked to several different representatives, I was offered a 30 day trial period. I asked the representative if I decided to cancel before the end of my trial period would I owe anything. I was told by this gentlemen, no, nothing. I asked what I going to do with the equipment and I was told I would be sent boxes for their return. He said, "You might as well try it, you have nothing to lose". On November 15, 2006 we decided to try it. Unfortunately, the Russian channel offered on Direct TV was not what we were looking for so on December 8, 2006, I called to cancel and return the equipment. It was then I was first made aware of the "charge" for early cancellation. I informed the nice young lady that I had a 30 day return policy and she told me that the equipment being returned was not part of the return policy. I informed her that I was told there would be no charges. She told me that when I received my bill I could protest the charge. On January 17, 2007, I received my first call from the billing department asking me when I was going to pay my bill. I told the lady that I have not received a bill from Direct TV. I received a collection phone call from Focus Receivable Management March 2.

What ever you do do not EVER use Direct TV. They will lie to you to get your business and then go back on their word. I ordered Direct TV and was told I have a 30 trial period and it was after I canceled I found out that there was a charge after 7 days for the equipment. Then they started harassing me about paying the bill BEFORE I received it in the mail. I protested it and they sent my bill to a collection agency without sending me another bill. I turned them into the Better Business Bureau and they did not care they still insist on me paying for a bill that their employee lied to me about. I cannot say this any better except "STAY AWAY - Direct TV sucks!!!" and they do not care.
Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Apr, 2007 by   Robert Leslie +1 Votes
I have direct tv and can confirm they will lie and cheat you every time. Their equipment is junk and will not last and every time you get a new receiver your two year commitment renews. They don't tell you this unless you try to cancel your service as i tried to do after many problems, i was told i had 23 months to go instead of 8 and if i canceled then it would cost $285.00.
 18th of Apr, 2007 by   Wendy Johnson +3 Votes
Sub: Employees / management falsify information to the consumer

I was mislead from day one by direct tv associates and their supervisors. Direct tv told me one price for the package. Yet within days of them installing the cable i received my first bill way over what i should of been paying. I called their so called customer service and spoke with four different supervisors who all advised me i could cancel my service with no fees or penalties. Since i was so unhappy and lied too. I sent all the equipment back and within days received a bill for fees $287.00. I instantly called direct tv and they stated the supervisors never said there was no fee. I explained "why would i pay almost $300.00 in fees because if that was the case i would of got basic basic cable and kept direct tv. Now they want me to pay for something they told me i wouldn't have to. The problem is with direct tv the employees tell you one thing and document differently. As a consumer there is no way for us to check what they wrote. Personally i feel this is so unlawful for direct tv to mislead the consumer and commit fraud. It's really sad that even when you get the supervisors id number and location, that direct still won't help the consumer who is telling the truth. Either direct tv has tons of inexperienced employees or their just liars.
 19th of May, 2007 by   Harry +1 Votes
I had a similar experience with the Dish Network. The salesman for Dish told me we had 60 days to cancel with no fees, after we mailed the equipment back we got a bill for $400. Several years later and supposedly a little wiser we hesitantly decided to try Direct Tv. This time i made sure to ask all the right questions about billing and cancellation. I was promised a 30 day trial period no strings attached, the salesman even told me they knock off another $10 from the bill if you pass a credit check.

Direct tv was installed on a friday in march-07. We signed up for the plus package- 185 channels/hbo & cinemax free for 3 months for $44.99, no dvr included. The following monday we received a bill from them for $59.99. I called to question and correct the amount. I had to speak with several people getting different answers and reasons about the bill amount. When i mentioned cancelling the service i was told i would be fined because i exceeded their 7 day cancel policy its not 30, then i was "accidentally" disconnected.

When i called back after jumping through several hoops, the next person tells me its not 7 days, you only have 3 days to cancel from activation, then i was "accidentally" disconnected again.

Several weeks later we get a second bill for $59. Now we owe them for 2 months and we've only had service for a little over 5 weeks. Several days later they shut off our service.

During this experience with direct tv i've learned several facts:

1- customer service is lousy, they are either all stupid or they are all lying about everything.

2- direct tv will terminate your service within a 40 day period or sooner if a single bill is not paid, even a new customer.

3- in order to get the advertised package prices, you need to mail in a rebate form that takes 6-8 weeks and no interuption of service to qualify. This redemption can be ended at the discretion of direct tv at any time which can send your bill back up.

4- the installer doesnt have you sign anything. Your first bill is considered your contract with the terms of agreement and is also your redemption form to get the rebate for a lower bill.

5- direct tv's billing is pro-rated, this fancy word means your actually paying ahead for the service before you use it instead of after.

6-after your service is shut off, they will obviously call and try to collect the money, but they will also try to get you to cancel so they can add another $300 to your bill.

My best advice to anyone thinking about ordering directv is not to do it. They smack of false advertising and hidden details and poor customer service. If you already have directtv, do not cancel the service because they will bill you $300 or more on top of the monthly bill you owe. Your actually better off just not paying the bill... this way if they shut your service off, and you dont cancel, they cant even ask for the box back.

If your service is shut off, make sure you unplug the box right away because they can actually keep billing you month to month. This is because they dont actually kill the signal to the box, you still get a couple channels, but the only thing you can really watch are pay per view and the 24 hour ad channels.
 16th of Jun, 2007 by   Merrill Weathermay +1 Votes
I've had Direct TV for a couple years now. For the 2006 MLB season, I ordered their "MLB Extra-Innings" package for a set fee for the season. I didn't order it for 2007.

1 1/2 years later, I begin seeing charges on my bill for MLB Extra Innings. I called customer service and said "I didn't order this." To which they replied "We automatically renew the contract."

They refused to give a refund -until I threatened to cancel my service altogether and file a complaint with the BBB.

"Self-renewing contracts" are illegal in some states, and are at the very least unethical and underhanded. No one at Direct TV told me it would be renewed, either verbally or in writing.

Stay away from these guys. They are as bad as Dish Networks.
 28th of Jun, 2007 by   Derek Nine +1 Votes
I just need to let it be known - throw it out there that I was just tole 4 days ago I had a 30 day trial because I was not sure about the contract and when they told me that I said sure lets do it. Now, after finding out that the picture quality is awful ( I cant even recognize people's faces or read release dates for movies and I'm only 23, not to mention the HD doesn't even compare to comcast) I just called to clarify about the 30 day trial and they tell me that I was told mis-information and I'll have to pay $300 to cancel. Also, the whole reason I signed up was for Red Sox in HD which they told me I could get, but come to find out that Direct TV doesn't have the rights to it in CT and I don't even get that. We should all get together and sue their asses.
 2nd of Jul, 2007 by   DirectTV Victim +2 Votes
I could not agree more. Their service sucks. And they are trying to charge the clients for repairs necessary to make their crap work. I have been trying for a year now to get my money back.

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM!
 14th of Jul, 2007 by   janice roussell +2 Votes
May 24, 2007 tech came to place additional box and offered me a protection plan i signed, company will not acknowledge date of initial service plan for the protection plan regarding original date, want to charge me for tech service home visit. Spoke to a supervisor by the name of Nathn # 302445 in Kansas that was not interested of my compliant, nasty and refuse to help me solve the problem.

Janice Roussell, service in belen new mexico.
 30th of Jul, 2007 by   Susan Diane Lee 0 Votes
I canceled Directv April 11,2007. June 25,2007 Directv debts my checking account for $200.41 for services that I have not had, I contacted Directv's Customer Service, they told me that it was there mistake and that I would be receiving a refund. They did not tell me that it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get my money back when it onlt took them one day to take it from me. I contacted Directv again on July 10, 2007, the customer service rep informed that there was a misunderstanding and that it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get your money back, I still have not seen my money, so I contacted their customer service dept again today and was informed that it would another 6 to 8 weeks because after the credits that issued they had to go back and do a final billing. So now I will not receive my money until mid September. I had been a Directv customer since 1998, but after being told that I had to pay to have my services moved, I canceled my services and will never recommend them to anyone. Directv has very poor customer service and if they wanted to keep customers satisfied they would whatever it takes. Needless to say they have refused to budge on getting me my money back faster.
 1st of Aug, 2007 by   david hand +1 Votes
In Aug of 2006. I signed up for DirecTV in my home on one TV set. I got the Total Choice package for 45.00 that increased to 48.00 in March of 07. In Nov of 2006, I upgraded to the Total Choice Plus package that had a few more channels for $50.00. Whoever entered my order apparently didn’t cancel the old service and instead of getting an upgrade, I got billed for the old and new service. When I found the error I called customer service and they said that they would correct the problem and credit my account for all of the double billing- which is a total of 7 1/2 months running from Nov to June-plus late charges. It was not corrected and I called again several times and my account still was not corrected. I called again today and July 4, and the customer service person said she would have to forward it but couldn’t do the job her self. SO still nothing has been done.

I filed a complaint with the BBB too. THey lied in their rebuttal. They said they issued me credit for the double billing which they have not. They also said I didn't complain till July 3 but my phone record say otherwise. Direct TV sucks big time
 21st of Aug, 2007 by   Denise L. Walls 0 Votes
I wished I had read all these complaints before signing up with Direct TV. I want to switch but do not want to pay a cancellation fee for their bad service. My Satelitte is down (again) for about the hundreth time in three years. To top it off they will not be able to get anyone out here to look at it for another two weeks!!! That means that I will be without a TV in my home for that long...

As much as I pay every month one would think they could find someone to come out and repair my system. I bet they wouldn't hesitate to cut it off if I didn't pay the bill (no delay there).

I'm switching to cable first chance I get!
 7th of Sep, 2007 by   Tony Clark +1 Votes
I signed up for a Bellsouth DSL and Direct TV package when I moved to another apartment. After two service calls, Direct TV told me that they were unable to install service. I called to cancel my service and requested the refund of my $200. deposit. I was told that it would take 3-5 business days for the refund to post. After ten days the refund was not made and I called to see what the delay was. Direct TV blamed it on Bellsouth and visa versa. After spending three hours on hold and talking to many Customer Service Reps, I was told that no one canceled the service and it would be ten days till I received a refund. I immediately called my bank and filed a complaint. I was told that the funds will be posted tonight, we'll see how long it takes for the bank to repute the refund...
 17th of Sep, 2007 by   it doesn't matter 0 Votes
Direct TV- Watch out for this company. Anyone interested in putting together a class action suit please send an email. allanzee1@yahoo.com . Deception and stonewalling in every area of operation that involves changes, refunds, time parameters, promises and more are their standard mode of operation.

I completed two years of a service contract and ended service as I moved. Their billing department put me over to cancellations which insisted that the right course was to suspend the account rather than cancel to ensure the same rates would apply when I continue. The moving department would handle the details. I was assured that when I call back there would be no problem to decide either to cancel or continue.

Three months in and four months till the bill, I discover them to have automatically reinstated my account as active. They charged and billed my visa without my knowledge an additional$65 on top of an existing $100 + credit. Several calls to customer disservice and the monies that they stole from my visa card on file are refunded to my DTV account not the visa. Three months after asking repeatedly, then threatening legal action for a full refund, they finally charge back my visa minus the money they stole. I am back to square one.

I am writing an expose with John Stossel and/or on Dateluine for either NBC/or CBS and initiating a class action suit. Please send me your story and let's F%$k with them!!!! It ain't about the money, it's about being right. We have the power to take them down legally with their own truths. I look forward to your help. Thanks all.

allan z
 18th of Sep, 2007 by   stacey gerwig +1 Votes
i had problems with the installation, the guy didn't tighten the dish down so we would loose reception every time the wind blew, we called to complain and to have some one come out and fix it, they said we should have checked it after he was finished setting it up and so it was our fault it was loose and to fix it they would be a 70 dollar charge, well we told them to just cancel the P.O.S. because we are not paying for them to come out and fix their mistake, and we are not paying to watch a blank screen. well they did finally come out and fixed it "for free"

well then i get my next bill and it's for 85 dollars, my bill was always 64.16 no more and no less so i call them to see why my bill is so much, they told me it was because of all the late fees for the past 4 months, i have never been late, and no where on my bills does it say anything about a late fee, and i told her that, plus just like a week before i sent a partial payment because they had shut off my direct tv and told me I had to be paid up to that day so i had to pay for the first half of the month, which should have brought my bill to just 25 dollars and some change.

any ways the CSR told me it was my fault for being late and never paying the full bill, even though i had proof that the bills were paid in full and i had all the bills from the past 4 months to prove it. any ways i ended up closing my account, which took me about 1 1/2 hours to do because she just kept going back to why my bill was so much, i finally told her I don't really fucking care about the fucking bill just shut off my damn account! and well i had to say that about 3 or 4 times before she finally said ok and actually put it in the computer system, and well then she hangs up on me with out telling me if she actually did cancel it or not so i called back and that lady said it was put in the computer and that i would get an email with my final bill on it and then i have like 2 weeks to send back the recievers or i will be charged for those too and after that 2 weeks period i will get a final bill for the early disconnection fee...

the next day i checked my email and get this the bill was only for 25 dollars!!! just like i tried to explain to that CSR and it says right in the email to SEND payment for 25 dollars that's it! and not even 2 days after that, i check my bank account and direct tv took out $117.82 with out sending me a bill, calling me, getting me to ok it, nothing i didn't know about it until i checked my bank account, so i called the bank and they told me there was nothing they could do because it was a debit card transaction and because it was still pending, so i called direct tv and they told me it was too late for them to do anything because they already got the money. and they claimed that i told them they could take out what ever i owed, now why would i tell them that when i've always mailed my payments to them, and why would i give them permission to take money out of my bank account with out knowing how much they were taking out?

and then tells us that if we would like we could open a new account and have that money credited to the new account, I would rather have that money back in my bank account, now why can't they just give me the money back, if they can "credit" a new account for that amount why can't they send me a check back? I don't see how they were allowed to take the money out with out my consent or even telling me how much they were taking, why, and when!!

and then they tell us that if we don't return the receivers it will $400 per receiver taken from out account, yeah like i have that kind of money!!! well i'm gonna go pay the bank the extra 20 bucks to refuse all future transactions from direct tv....they are not getting any more of my money, expecially with out telling me about it!!! i just can't believe they were allowed to do that and no one would help me how is that legal???
 25th of Sep, 2007 by   seldon mcintosh 0 Votes
direct tv is doing things like tacking my money 540.00 out of my account with out my consent. and before i had a chance to send the receivers back.this should not be aloud
 2nd of Oct, 2007 by   craig hunter 0 Votes
Direct TV is by far the WORSE company I have ever dealt with I left Dish network for "more HD channels" that was a joke!!! But not a funny one!!!

By far the worst service department ever, stupid automated assistant that doesn't understand a word you say no "0" option to get operator get some Indian guy on the phone that doesn't understand english and sure did not understand I NEED YOUR SUPERVISOR!!!! Both DVR's locked up the HD DVR won't record they say they turned on more HD channels I sure don't get them. Slightest amount of clouds and picture goes out and SERVICE IS DATED 6 WEEKS OUT THAT JUST SHOWS WHAT AN AWFUL COMPANY THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY GET YOU UNDER CONTRACT THEN YOU ARE STUCK!!!!!!!!! They don't care they get your money for 18 months and they are happy because they know you will change back to Dish after the contract is over!

I AM TYPING THIS WHILE ON HOLD FOR DIRECT TV SERVICE SO THAT IS WHY I AM SO ILL!!!!!!!
 8th of Nov, 2007 by   Christopher 0 Votes
Thank you to all that have posted. I have been looking into Direct TV and can say that I will NOT sign up with them after hearing these problems. What a horrible company to act this way! I'm glad people can tell about their service so people like me can make a better decision.
 17th of Dec, 2007 by   JoAnn Loffler 0 Votes
I signed up for Direct TvWas told I would pay 54.99 for first fourmonths. Ended up with a bill of 89.16. Called custoemr service only t get a run around. Bad serice, fraud, misleading information, deceptive and dishonest trade practices and violaions of this protection every way you can think of. This company needs to closec down for the crimes committed against consumers. Call and write and demand that our taxed paid attorney general do his job or we will fire him.
 27th of Dec, 2007 by   Radar 0 Votes
Response to Stephen Lowry

I agree Direct Tv sucks! I have e-mailed the O'Reilly Factor on FoxNews and called DirectTV executives all pinheads. They took 230 dollars from my checking account without my permission or authorization after I paid one bill check by phone in early June for 70 dollars.
Two days after that withdrawal another withdrawal of 144 dollars occurred and then in early November a withdrawal of 87 dollars occurred. Visit the following websites: http://www.complaintsboard.com ; /link removed/ and
illuminate.com. I am working on starting a class action lawsuit which could go national. Keep an eye on the news media and FCC.
 2nd of Jan, 2008 by   Bob +1 Votes
We had DirectTV. First couple of months things were OK. We fell on hard times and couldn't pay the bill. We have no complaint that our service was turned off, that is to be expected.

Times improved and we called to bring our bill current. We were told if we brought the account current, our service would be restored within 24 hours. We waited for the signal to be restored.

After 48 hours of no signal restoration, we called and were advised that now we must leave a major credit card or debit card on file and they will automatically deduct payment. That ain't happenin' Captain!!

We told them we were no longer interested in their services and to come and get their equipment. Of course they don't do that. They sent two FedEx boxes to recover their equipment.

On the day we received the boxes, I immediately packed the equipment and called FedEx. I was surprised when the FedEx rep said, "there's two boxes, right?" Now, I understand why he knew.

No sooner had FedEx recovered the boxes when we started receiving harassing calls from Focus Receivables Management. We disputed the so-called "cancellation" charges and were advised to contact DirectTV.

Now, this Focus outfit has us an automated call and when we pick up, they hang up.

We are so thankful that we canceled the debit card. After reading the horror stories here, they would have just taken money with no authorization.

DO NOT LEAVE THIS OUTFIT ANY FORM OF CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 15th of Feb, 2008 by   Kamal +1 Votes
Hi,

I Just want to know that why HDFC Bank is charging the processing Fee of Rs 50, if customer is paying them of the credit card bill in cash on their counters. is this the Correct thing if somebody is taking pain & paying the money on there counter & they told that you have to pay extra if you will pay the cash.

Our request is that thsi processing fee should not be there when person paying the whole amount on their counters.

Thanks & Regards