logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
unitedgenericpharmacy.com
Seller is dishonest and you will get nothing from them
2. (2 mins ago)
Rakhi World Wide
Rakhi Delivery Order
3. (6 mins ago)
Lifecell
return policy
4. (37 mins ago)
oberon games
cant reintall game and play
5. (38 mins ago)
Express Credit Auto
Awful experience

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Direct TV Complaints & Reviews - Early termination fee!

Direct TV Contacts & Informations

Direct TV

Posted:    matthew

Early termination fee!

Most unreasonable company I have ever been involved with. Have been customer for less than one year and FOUR dvr receivers have failed to operate properly. After waiting a week for the replacement equipment to arrive on FOUR separate occasions I canceled my service. Now they want their early termination fee. I have filed a complaint with the BBB but that's a waste of time. They just send your letter over to Direct tv and Direct tv says "The charges are valid" You never get the opportunity to speak with anyone except a csr that barely speaks English and has no authority to do a thing. Very POOR POOR SERVICE. Highly recommend going elsewhere.

Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of May, 2007 by   uncurled 0 Votes
Direct tv has never lived up to the agreed upon billing.It was suppose to be the same amount for 1 yr. The second year to increase by $10. Because my first bill was in error I called. It was corrected. Every month since then I have had to call, because each month it increases. Now, because the bill is $40. more than I had agreed to I wanted to cancel the service. I was threaten with a $150. cancellation fee. Is there anyway out?
 24th of May, 2007 by   matthew 0 Votes
Based on my experience with Direct (stick it to you) Tv you are screwed. If you cancel they will charge you. If you dispute the charges they will send you to collections. The collection agency is pretty hardcore--3-4 phone calls to your home per day. You pretty much get in a spot that you have to pay or take them to small claims court which also cost you more money. I found it more than difficult to take on a giant corporation. Let me know if you hear of any attorney interested in a nation wide civil suit. You are not alone. The customer service there is absolutely horrible. Good luck
 21st of Jun, 2007 by   Joanne Belemecich 0 Votes
As a senior needing to save on our bills i agreed to change to your TV services on the agreement that you would save me on our bill. I have tried to talk to someone on the phone that was helpful and have yet to find someone who knows a thing about anything about your way of doing business. We have been without a tv for five days and when i called they said they would send what we needed in a weak so by changing to your service i have been with out any tv. I don't want to be charged for service that i have not received but you can't find any one on the phone that knows a thing to help you out.
 29th of Sep, 2007 by   Chuck 0 Votes
I agree!! I was scammed by there replacemment DVR's as well. The scam is to have sighn the contract for the dvr to be installed free and at no charge for the unit as long as you complete the contract. Here is the thing;;; They send you a refurbished receiver to begin with that you own since you signed the contract. Well about 2 weeks later it starts to give you issues so you call direct tv and have them replace it........Well when you have the one you own replaced they send you a leased receiver and extend your contract with out telling you 1st so you can at that time decide if thats what you want to do. So when they do this you then just shipped them back YOUR OWENED dvr and your contract is extended not another year but 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!! more. Wow if this is not criminal activity ............... By a large corporate company that millions of lawyers could have a hay day with, Buy somehow nothing is being done???? Our goverment is allowing them to do this PEOPLE so dont get mad at them get mad at our lobbiest country that only benefits the corporations of america. Direct tv does this because they no theuy can or they definitely would not be doing it trust me! So get mad at the right people that let this happen our Goverment!!! Oh yea this is" The United States Of Corporations" Not the States people!!!
 4th of Oct, 2007 by   Alex 0 Votes
DIRECT TV IS A SCAM! They extended our contract without telling us, so we have a cancelation fee in our credit card. They extended it because they sent a new receiver, so we totally agree with these complaint comments. Can somebody do something about it??? IT IS A REAL SCAM! BE CAREFUL CONSUMERS! You should get a different TV service , get out while you can and if you are out...stay that way!
 26th of Oct, 2007 by   JimK99999 0 Votes
DIRECT TV SUCKS! My 4 month old 5LNB dish fell off the roof in calm sunny weather (due to poor installation), and I was told I would have to wait ONE WEEK for them to come out to put it back up. When I told them to kiss my rear, and switched to TW Cable, they charged me $212 for early cancellation (even though I had been a customer for 4 years). They got me with the typical new contract when you add equipment routine! Since I added a DVR when I put up the 5LNB dish, I was committed for another 8 months. I am looking into suing them now. I paid their fee, because it isn't worth wrecking my credit rating. However, if I can get a lawyer interested, or perhaps just file a case in small claims court against Direct TV & the CEO (named) - he is in California, so I doubt he'll show up in Ohio, maybe I can get my money back that way. Enough is enough!!! Sites like this are great! CONSUMERS BEWARE!
 14th of Nov, 2007 by   Wanda Bowman 0 Votes
I have recently had several problems with Direct TV. My ex-husband upgraded to HDTV. When he paid $100 for the receiver, he was never told is was a lease. He moved out and cancelled the HDTV. He had to send the receiver back or I was going to be charged. Second, my service got cut. There was a $212 early cancellation fee on my account, I have had the service since 2000. When I called, I was told that when he upgraded to HDTV that extended our contract till Feb 09. This was never relayed. Now, I called on 10/19 and made a payment over the phone. At that time, I was told they needed to have a credit card on file. Two days later, another charge was taken out of my account I did not authorize. I have called 4 times, received 4 different responses and the last call, I was told that whenever a credit card is given, that is authorizing automatic payment. When I said this was never relayed, I was told that it is within their guidelines and it is posted on their website. Something needs to be done about them.
 24th of Nov, 2007 by   Penny Huffman 0 Votes
I have had Direct Tv for a long time I paid my last bill however the representative failed to let me know there was more that I owed. Needless to say they cut me off. I called their customer services hoping to get some help instead I got two rude ladies with one that told me I should pay bills. Well at this point I was very upset I have had enough that was out of line to talk to a customer like this however the two witches can ride there broom south because I plain on paying this bill and filing a large complaint. Direct tV customer service sucks.
 29th of Nov, 2007 by   Darren Swain 0 Votes
Fuck Direct TV. Have you ever tried to get through to someone. It's near to impossible and if they need to transfer you, you will alway get disconnected after long wait times. And forget asking for a supervisor. They don't exist.

I believe DT is run by Apes and chimps... I hate these cheating bastards.
 30th of Nov, 2007 by   A. Pismo Clam 0 Votes
We just went through the refurbished scam. Got a new one, but only because of an honest service man.
 21st of Jan, 2008 by   lisa 0 Votes
I have been trying to resolve a dispute with directtv but cannot find anyone to communicate with. I am going to file a complaint with the FCC and suggest that anyone with a complaint do the same. It has been helpful in getting disputes resolved with Sprint on a number of occasions. Don't give up!!!
 23rd of Jan, 2008 by   nicole +1 Votes
Everything everyone says is true. We to have dealt with new recievers, poor customer service and everything else. They are the biggest rip off company ever and all they want is your money. I could type a big long story but everyone here has covered every problem I have had with them. If anyone gets a class action law suit going I will be the first to sign up!
 6th of Mar, 2008 by   nancy 0 Votes
I have very bad experience with Direct TV. Their customer service is so terrible. Direct TV is cheating to customers. When I opened the account, the agent told me that there will be $10 credit in my account in the 2nd month of bill after sent the form back. I have sent the form back and I have never gotten the credit from my account. I called and the customer said they didn't get the form. So I sent it 2nd time, but the credit has never came to my account. Finally, the term for one year contract arrived, I canceled it at once. I have sent the receiver back to Direct TV in January 2008. Now I receive the letter from his collection company asking me to pay them $119 for two receiver. I called the customer service today, the lady is very bad. The customer service she provides is terribe. I said I am going to file a complain against your Direct TV. She said go ahead. My friend told me I should go to small court to file a small claim against Direct TV because it sent my acct to collection company for no reason. Does anybody have any good idea to file a lawsuit agaist Direct TV together? There are so many people like me feeling so upset and angry with Direct TV. Please provide good suggestion if anyone has. Thanks.
 16th of Mar, 2008 by   Dylah +1 Votes
I too have been scammed by directv. I canceled my service because of poor quality with the equipment, and with customer service department. They lied to me and did not honor their end of the contract with me. They lied to me about the rebate, the discount I was to get each month off my bill, installation was from a old beat up pickup-truck and some guy that did not know what he was doing. I was promised a certified directv technician. I was charged for a pole to mount the dish which was never mentioned to me over the phone. I could go on and on about their horrible service. They deducted 421.00 out of my credit card account without my consent, and when I called, I also got the run- around. I spoke with Leann ID# 100242183 in Tenn. trying to get help. I have sent a certified letter to their dispute center at P O Box 6550 Greenwood Village, CO. 80155-6550. I also sent to BBB and FCC. Directv knows they can get away with dishonorable practice , that's why they don't care what you say to them over the phone. I will spread the word to everyone or anyone I know thats thinking of getting directv ... run, run, run. I will keep fighting to get my money back and I wish someone would start a class action suit against them, I also would be the first one to sign up. I also wish our goverment would not allow companies such as directv to continue this kind of practice.
 5th of Apr, 2008 by   bob Schultz 0 Votes
We have a problem w/ Direct TV for taking money out of our account w/o authorization. How do we get it back? Small claims? I also would strongly urge anyone to spread the word.
 6th of Apr, 2008 by   Jim 0 Votes
I am a TV Cameraman. I pre-paid 3 years of service with TiVo. I was told by direct tv sales that my TiVo will work. I is not even compitable. Since I use TiVo with my work, I canceled and went back to cable (which does work) and for many other lies told and promises never kept. I was charged a cancilation fee. I can not even get any resolution from the resolution department. Why is the FCC not getting involved?
 8th of Apr, 2008 by   Nina Segura 0 Votes
I spoke with Tiffany in the Kansas Call Center this evening 4/8/08 at 927pm who advised me that there is a software issue with the two direct TV boxes that I have model R15. This problem prohibits the machines to perform series recordings correctly. I requested new boxes. Tiffany refused. I requested an ETA of when the software upgrade would be available - she did not know. I requested partial credit since I have been unable to consistently view series recordings Tiffany refused. I requested to speak with her manager/have her manager call me back. She also refused.
I contacted American Express case #GZ21935 to dispute this matter and to suspend any further charges until I receive what I am paying for. Please provide partial credit for all of these months and issue two new DVR boxes so that I may receive what I have been paying for all along. I can’t be the only one with this problem.
 11th of May, 2008 by   Martin 0 Votes
Direct TV are a bunch of liars and crooks. My fiance called to upgrade her service to HD and was never told anything about a 2 year contract. She knew she was moving in 6 months and would never have agreed to ANY contract.

When the installer came out to hook her up, he never gave her any paperwork that said anything about a contract. I went to the Portland, OR Direct Tv website and couldn't find anything that specifically mentioned a 2 year contract.

When she moved and canceled her service was the very first time they mentioned any contract or early termination fee. They told her she would be billed for $225 and gave her an address to write to dispute the charge, then immediately went into her bank account and stole the money. She had never authorized automatic funds withdrawals, but they were still able to grab the money from her account.

I called to complain and was told that although they have nothing she signed agreeing to a 2 year contract, it's their policy to tell people that on the phone or leave them some paperwork at the installation that informs them they just agreed to a 2 year contract, neither of which they did.

They steal people's money and then challenge them to try and find a way to get it back.
 13th of May, 2008 by   Elizabeth Knights 0 Votes
This is happening today as I write this.

Direct TV is the very Worst Company I have EVER come across in my life. That company if filled with crooks and thieves.

First of all their service was lousy and their csr was even worst the many times that I've contacted them with any issue. Finally after a year of service I terminated my service with a credit of $58 left on the account. I had my debit card linked to my account at the time I terminated the service and had FedEx back their equipment to them. I did not realize that I even had a contract with them nor did I realize that there was a early termination fee for the SO CALLED contract. One week after I had cancelled the service and one day after they had received the equipment back (yesterday), without sending me a final bill Direct TV went into my bank account using the debit number on file and deducted an additional $100 without my permission. I had never been set up for automatic withdrawals, had always paid after receiving my bill each month. However I had always paid by my debit card and therefore Direct tv had access to my debit card information. As I said, without sending me a bill and without permission Direct TV took this money from my bank account. As soon as I realize this was happening (actually the same day the payment was being processed - today) I contacted my bank - WACHOVIA immediately and was told in no uncertain terms that WACHOVIA would not do anything to stop a debit card transaction and therefore they had to allow Direct tv's transaction to proceed. Have Direct tv proceed with stealing my money from my bank account.

I feel like I've been failed twice and most of all by the institute - Wachovia Bank who allowed Directv to proceed with taking money from my Bank account and not stop them even though I notified them before the money was posted to my bank account - it is still pending. They got me on the line with Direct TV (three ways) and decided to disregard their customer (me) and agree with the big institution Direct tv.

I thought as a consumer I had rights to my own money but evidently as far as Direct tv and Wachovia is concerned and anyone can come off the streets and take my money out of my bank account without any interference from Wachovia Bank. And even when they're notified that "hey someone is taking my money without my permission - stop them" All I got from Wachovia is "sorry, can't stop them we have to let them continue to take your money because they have the ability to do so"

Direct tv claims that last April they notified all their customers that when an account is terminated and Direct tv feels that they customer owes them money for what ever reason they have they right to take the money from whatever means necessary based on any credit card or anything else they may have on file.

Buyer, beware. Be very careful with your dealings with direct tv. If you have to do business with them, if possible, pay them using a money order because they have this in the fine print as of April 2007 and will take your money with or without permission if they have access to your information.
 23rd of May, 2008 by   K Redmond 0 Votes
I had been a Direct TV customer for 7 years in good standing. When I relocated to Atlanta, I used the movers package and had DTV installed in the little Town House that I rented. Ten months later I bought a house and called to have my service moved. The Service Rep on the phone told me that it would cost $200.00 to move my service. I told her that I would not pay that and get cable instead. She then told me that she would waive the fee, but if I moved again before 12 months, I would have to pay it. I said okay. I got my first bill at the new house with the $200.00 charge on it. I thought that it was probably just a “glitch” and paid my normal monthly fee. The next month the moving charge was still on my bill and I called Direct TV, and was told that it was a legitimate charge. I said, “Why would I agree to pay $200.00 so that you can keep my business? Only an idiot would agree to that.” The ludicriousy of the situation seemed to escape the logic that even a child could grasp. Everywhere, DTV’s competition was offering specials to draw business from DTV; more service for less money. DTV did not care to hear one thing that I had to say. They only wanted their money. I told them that I would never pay that fraudulent and ridiculous fee. Days later my service was cut off but DTV continued to bill me for an additional 2 months!

Cheapest Overnight Shipping in 2010