logo

AMI Energy Solutions
Fraud/Scam
2. (4 mins ago)
Walden University
cost, lack of response, grievance filed without so much as an acknowledgment...the list goes on!
3. (10 mins ago)
Freelotto
NO PAYMENT
4. (21 mins ago)
www.robecart.com
Impossible to reach the seller, but this jerk didn’t provide orders
5. (28 mins ago)
foreclosure.com
My house is not for sale

Consumer Tips & Tricks

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT INFO

Direct Buy
All locations
Phone: All locations
I found this information when researching Direct Buy and wanted to post it where all posters alledging Direct Buy is a scam in their post. I have no affliation with this class action lawsuit, any parties who filed the lawsuit or direct buy. This is for informational purposes only.

241 days ago by DirectBuy Victim 0 Votes

DirectBuy is a nightmare & scam.
Help spread the word...
A Federal Class Action lawsuit against DirectBuy has been filed by Izard Nobel LLP. Contact information is as follows
Lead Attorney - Jeff Nobel
email - jnobel@izardnobel.com
toll free phone# - (800) 797-5499
Please contact them so justice may prevail & we can get our hard earned money aka "membership fees" back.

Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Jan, 2011 by   Little Foot 0 Votes
I have to agree that they are a rip-off. The sales person told me I could add a friend and we could split the $5000 membership fee. When I came back with my friend to add her to the account, my account had been "red flagged" and they wrote "do not allow to add (friend's name) to the account." What kind of business are they running??? I purchased the membership to redo my kitchen and bathroom. I bought my kitchen cabinets from another company with better quality and pricing. I spent $2000 on a vanity, faucet, and medicine cabinet. That's more than I had dreamed of paying. So if you add the membership fee and the amount I spent on the bathroom, I paid $7000 for a bathroom. I did not even buy tile or anything. Rip-off. I would love to see them go out of business.
 14th of Jan, 2011 by   deborah mcdaniel +2 Votes
We recently got suckard into purchasing a membership with Direct Buy. We have only had it one week and already regretting it!!! On the contract it states only 3 days to cancel but you don't have access to their website for 7 days.That is shady business.As soon as we were able to look on the website we felt that the prices were high and even higher than Home Depot. When I called to speak to someone in charge I was handed off to 3 different people and basically I was told there was nothing they could do. We lost our 500 dollars towards the membership fee, which is an outrages fee of 5000. But I will not give them one red cent more.
 17th of Jan, 2011 by   Another helpless American +1 Votes
I was scammed just like everyone else in this post. They said I couldn't cancel my 'membership' because I signed a 'contract'. I feel a 'membership' is something a person should be able to cancel at any time; ie a membership to the YMCA or a fitness club. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and got nowhere. It's like the Better Business Bureau is on the side of the business and not the people of this country who get scammed. A week ago we received an e-mail for a directbuy settlement on a class action suit. When I clicked on the link they gave to get more information, it didn't work. I even googled the link my self but found nothing. I then called the phone number they gave but all I got was a menu full of useless information. They kept directing me to the website. No option to talk to a live person. Sounds like this so called settlement is a scam also. All I want is my money back but it I guess I'll just cut my losses and learn from this horrible experience.
 19th of Jan, 2011 by   victoriapn +1 Votes
To Adpro:
I can send you a list of items that I want to purchase including the TOTAL price (add the 8% Handling fee on every item & the way marked up freight cost) I will pay with my Direct Buy membership versus the total price I will pay from buying online. The savings are averaging 15% - $5500 for a savings of $825. I will have to buy well over $30K just to RECOUP my $5000 membership fee. There is not a large enough variety of items offered from Direct Buy for me to ever recoup my membership fee.
 22nd of Jan, 2011 by   Rod, Cedar Springs,Mi. +1 Votes
My wife and I were duped from Direct Buy a few years ago. We went to the meeting and they made everything sound so good. They wanted us to do a membership that night, and that if we didn't do it that night we wouldn't be eligible to join. So we joined without much thought.About one week later we went down and looked through some of their books and magazine's and found not a lot of price difference. We would have had to spend a lot of money to make up the difference of our membership fees. We tried to get our money back and told them that it was a mistake to have signed up with them. Neither my wife or myself have a job right now and it would sure be nice to see some of our membership fees come back to us. We have never bought a single thing through Direct Buy . The lawsuit papers I got in the mail Wilson v. Direct Buy, Inc says I can get two month free membership. I don't want any free membership I want money back.
 25th of Jan, 2011 by   DupedDebi 0 Votes
Papers I received stated the same thing - 2 month "free" membership extension if they win the class-action suit. But I'll send the form back anyway so I can be counted.
Debi, Ohio
 28th of Jan, 2011 by   Harriet 54 0 Votes
I felt that all of us who were coerced, lied to with fraudulant information, or forced to sign immediatly told they won't have a second chance, should receive our ENTIRE monies back. There is NO reason for any company, if they are legitimate, to have to use tactics to sell their memeberships or products. If they are not stopped now they will continue to bully others into a situation that is more harmful than good. I think we should stick together and get ALL our monies back NOW. I will send my papers back to be counted, but I do not want the 2 months free membership, I want all my money back.
 29th of Jan, 2011 by   Feng Shui 0 Votes
I agree that the 2 month free membership, and opportunity to renew up to 10 years for $200 (per year?) is basically useless since the membership is useless. We were building a house when we bought the membership and found it was useless trying to order from DB unless you had all the time in the world to wait for delivery, which we didn't. I basically used the membership to know the wholesale prices for appliances, etc., and then bought from Coast Wholesale for as close as possible to the wholesale price. It was hardly worth $4, 000 to know the wholesale price.

I say we all accept the free membership offered in the law suit settlement and then hang out in the showroom and discourage all the starry-eyed people they send in during the sales pitch process to tour the showroom. I used to do that when my membership was still active. One poor young couple were talking about using their rent money for the down payment! Can you believe that!! I'm not sure I was able to convince them not to join because the sales pitch is so effective. They seemed shocked that it wasn't a good deal.
 31st of Jan, 2011 by   JG1971 -1 Votes
A club is a club is a club. Like a car dealership who will try anything to get you in that new shiny car you don't need, DirectBuy is a club for people who like to shop or need to shop and save money on MOST things. My wife and I joined about 5 years ago and made back over half the membership with the savings from the first purchase. We researched the same furniture we wanted and could not even come near the price we got through DirectBuy. Sure, there are some items you can get cheaper online but you have to read the fine print...(refurbished), (reconditioned), etc.

It is impossible to buy something new at below cost...unless the seller is liquidating and does not care about profit. For those of you not educated on economics, here is a quick lesson:
Today is January 30th, 2011; a new high tech TV just came out. I (the retailer) purchase the TV from the manufacturer (or distributor) at cost. The MSRP is 30% above cost but I sell it at 35% above cost to make a 35% profit. You (the customer) purchase the TV from me at 35% above cost but only 5% over MSRP; why? because the uneducated consumer does not do their homework before shopping.

Think of it like a telephone contract. The connection from you to your mom goes something like this: You > local carrier > parent carrier > local carrier > your mom.
So, your phone bill pays for everything in between. Imagine not having to do that and just going straight to your mom: you > mom
Another example: You want a TV; you go to BestBuy to get it. So here is the channel: You > BestBuy > Distributor > Sony
If you go to DirectBuy, here is your channel: You > Sony - And where is DirectBuy you ask? Just there, providing you a direct channel to the manufacturer via your membership.
Imagine if we could do the same with buying a car? Where would the dealerships be? Probably complaining about a company like DirectBuy taking their business.

Business is business and if DirectBuy was illegal, they would have been shut down by the FTC many years ago.
 3rd of Feb, 2011 by   klja 0 Votes
My husband and I went as a shop when I was a secret shopper years ago. We had sold our house and were considering building one from scratch. Yes, Direct Buy did pull the same stunt with the minutes to get the deal. Needless to say they were convincing and we did buy into it. Unfortunately, my husband became ill, eventually dying, and we never used the membership. It was a lot of money and I could sure use it raising two boys on my own. I consider the whole episode a waste of time and a scam. Direct Buy should offer a refund of all memberships not just two months free with $200 a year membership for 10 years. Lawyers!!!
 19th of Feb, 2011 by   Larry Sullivan 0 Votes
I have had good success when dealing with Directbuy. I admit it can be tediuos work pouring over the catalog format that is currently in place when purchasing an item. Also there have been times when the staff has been no help to me at all, but no one can say they do not experience the same difficulties when buying items in retail stores. The service industry is a mess right now with companies having to hire inexperienced / unmotivated personnel. I have made my membership money back and then some since I joined (Sept 06). When purchasing a membership, I was informed on how merchandise must be picked up and for those of you who did not pay attention, you are now blaming Direct Buy for your inablity to live by the contract rules you all signed.
 21st of Feb, 2011 by   Elena A 0 Votes
I AGREE WITH THE LAWSUIT!!!
We were duped into signing on "Now, because you cannot wait", we did and it did us no good. Like a lot of you said, in checking other stored, we were able to purchase items at a lower price than DirectBuy gave, without having to wait the 6 weeks we were told!! I want my money back!
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   leotomic 0 Votes
Please I want to be part of this movement to bring dirrectbuy to its knees, they have now sent me to collection, for a service I was never able to use due to their failed promise to have better price than even whole sale stores. I have to this day not been able to afford any thing from them so I have paid them over $600 in membership fees and I want to get my money back for their lies and bad business
Leo
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   dontgetbsd 0 Votes
We purchased a membership with DirectBuy in Chespapeake VA. Don't buy a membership! The manager has a dirty car salesman look and personality. He was very friendly and joking when getting you to sign up and the girls are just there to look cute-when i thought they were there to help. If there is trouble with an item ordered and not recieving it in a timely manner they talk to you as if concerned but then blow you off. The Better Business Bureau seems to be making it difficult for us as well. They requested "documents, " when i wrote back to get them to be more specific they didn't so that the time ran out before they "close" the file...Maybe we can just go to the News!!
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   gtscrwd 0 Votes
i say we get the dates and time of every open house and make some nice signs to detour any new members.
 10th of Mar, 2011 by   childofGodcb 0 Votes
I agree with a number of the above posts. When you factor in the shipping charges and having to drive considerable distances to pick up the items ordered and having to load them yourself, (especially if you had to rent a truck to transport them), you will probably find yourself spending more at Direct Buy. Many items are unavailable and as for buying at Home Depot, the quality is not comparable. The only bargains we got were a very few small items that were available in the warehouse. (For example: knife sets). I think it would be a wonderful idea to go to the showroom to warn prospective clients about the inadvisability of joining. They will tell you anything to get you to plunk down your money.
 16th of Mar, 2011 by   art7 +1 Votes
Wow, I am so glad I read these comments. I was due to visit the showroom this afternoon for a 90 minute presentation and the chance to get a $50, 000.00 house makeover with a key they had sent me for that purpose. They have been calling me to make sure that I meet my appointment, like a big deal. They never said anything about a $5, 000.00 fee or a 10 year contract. I had asked on the phone about fees and contracts and they just tell you that you will be informed of all the details during the presentation. Of course, I am not going to the presentation after reading all the experiences. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
 16th of Mar, 2011 by   J Loprieno +1 Votes
We joined Direct buy about a year ago and the only real saving we were able to get were on appliances, only because DB had an agreement with Rudy's Appliance and your order was handled by Rudy's. Everything else the price was raised so much by fees, shipping & handling that it is not worth it, especially with the 8-10 week waiting period. They then further insult you by putting your credit card through well before you get the item, so if there is a problem, you are screwed.
DB's latest is that they charge you an additional fee to ship C.O.M. orders and if you tell them you want to ship it yourself, they give you all these rules that make it almost impossible to ship at a decent rate.
 17th of Mar, 2011 by   arkansan +1 Votes
I am currently dealing with harrassing phone calls from Direct Buy's financial partner Beta Finance. I refused to make any payments after I visited thier members only online site and had a chance to see what I was getting with the membership. I'd like to take part in or start a lawsuit against this villainous corporation. I'll be checking back here in a few days to see if there's anyone else interested in doing the same.

Arkansasan
 5th of Apr, 2011 by   Cheryl Zahner +1 Votes
When I first signed up, yes bad me... I financed my membership and was not disclosed the interest... I refused to sighn the contract. I was the counter offered a lesser rate...silly me again, I signed and still paying...little did I know teh membeship was 2yrs...I thought it was a life time. I feel BAIT AND SWITCHED...SCAMMED... I'm obligated to pay the loan...but not to do business with them. I want them to buy back the loan. ScornedConsumer...

5 Reasons You Should Join a Credit Union This Week